IGNORED

Maxwell 51: Empty Nesters, Empty Vesters? End of an Era

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Bible college is basically fundie dating game. If you graduate from Bible college and still extremely single, it’s probably a great distress. She probably didn’t go there for him in particular. But fundies are definitely looking for “the one” at Bible college. 

I agree. For girls in particular. It's not like they're going to be allowed to travel the world and be "missionaries" by their own little selves. Of course, in the case of Anna & Mary, I am not sure either has ever done anything by themselves or ever will; they have been forcefully attached to each other for years. But in general, he women who go to Bible College go to meet the right kind of husband. It's the mens who go to learn to be "missionaries" & preachers & whatever. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I agree. For girls in particular. It's not like they're going to be allowed to travel the world and be "missionaries" by their own little selves. Of course, in the case of Anna & Mary, I am not sure either has ever done anything by themselves or ever will; they have been forcefully attached to each other for years. But in general, he women who go to Bible College go to meet the right kind of husband. It's the mens who go to learn to be "missionaries" & preachers & whatever. 

I agree. But I do think the males have expectations put on them as well. Not as strongly as the females Though. But there is an expectation for them to find a godly little wife and start procreating for god. It makes me think of St. John from Jane Eyre. He wanted the perfect Missionary wife to travel with even though he wasn’t in love with her. Fundie missionaries likely choose their mates carefully. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

50 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

But in general, he women who go to Bible College go to meet the right kind of husband.

When I was in university I met a young man who lived on my floor in residence. In first year he was wild. He was on one of the sports teams and when he wasn't playing his sport he was partying or hanging out with his "sports bros" and he always acted like one of those people who is proud of their lack of knowledge. Anyway,  he met a  young woman who was studying history. He was very interested in her so he started auditing one of her classes just to hang out with her. Eventually they became a couple.

I ran into him years later and to my great surprise he was a history professor and completely different from that sports guy he used to be. He'd broken up with the girl long ago but auditing those classes had a wakened his love of the subjects she was studying. He told me that one class led to another and here he was a professor. 

We've seen small glimpses of Anna and Mary doing things separately and hopefully they are at least opening their eyes to different possibilities. Fingers crossed they get more out of college than just a ring and fingers extra crossed that they start posting about it on social media so that I can follow along.

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 1

Mary and Anna were doing some sort of “mission” work where they’d leave for most of the summer. This could have been college courses, we don’t know. We know that the Maxwells have also called John’s irrigation business travel “mission work” and are referring to Sarah getting her own place a “mission field.” I think that the MaxSibs have figured out together how to use the word “mission” to do some heavy lifting. Who knows, Jesse’s apartment living may have been mission inspired (though Joe put a mighty crack in the foundation when he sold his MaxHome and moved away— a mission to Kansas City?)…

I think that the MaxKids leveraged over time to get where they are. Mary and Anna were probably offered opportunities, or were aware of opportunities, that wouldn’t be open to them without higher education, with their Bible club or hell OCC. The pastor knows this, and it’s hard to put down a pastor— or so Steve says. And they used that too. All these little pieces and over time. I played a similar game of chess with my parents to move out when I was 17. They pretty much thought it was brilliant and their idea by the time I was done but I had worked diligently to make sure it looked like the best option. I did NOT know the Maxwells had it in them. Steve was eased into it, first a harmless evening service that doesn’t interfere with Nursing Home Ministry, then more activity there, then bam, a pastor and some friends who clearly helped them see and want more. I’m sure at least one will end up married now, because they were always marriageable young women. But I’ll bet they all grow in many ways. 

• Upvote 32
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

We have a thread for his dad column.

Here's the link to our thread.

. And here's the link to Steve's Seriously Dad? column. It also includes Teri's Mom column which also has it's own thread in the Maxwell section of FJ.

You can also sign up for email copies of the Mom and Dad Corners.  I was so annoyed by one of Steve's I cancelled the email in a huff a long time ago but since they gave up blogging I'm ashamed to say I'll take what I can get and have subscribed again 🤣

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, ClareDeLune said:

You can also sign up for email copies of the Mom and Dad Corners.  I was so annoyed by one of Steve's I cancelled the email in a huff a long time ago but since they gave up blogging I'm ashamed to say I'll take what I can get and have subscribed again 🤣

Don't feel too bad.  I've spent some time Facebook stalking the Hock family on the chance that Sam ends up with either Mary or Anna.

We all gotta get our Maxwell fix somehow!

• Upvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 7

What do we know about the Maxwell's involvement with a branch of a company called "We Communicate Inc."?

It looks like it was incorporated in 1998 with a non-Maxwell as agent,

then between 2016 and 2020 they added Maxwells: Christopher as treasurer, John as director, Joseph as director, Melanie as director, Nathan as director and then president, Sarah as secretary (listed twice), and Steve as president.

Then during the first week of August in 2021, they removed Christopher, John, Joseph, Nathan, Sarah and Steve.

During the second week of August they added Melanie, Nathan, and Sarah back, then during the third week in August they removed them again, apparently leaving only the non-Maxwell person.

???

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_mo/F00452514/events

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 5

This is off topic, but I just want to compare how ridiculous Crown is with their strict dress code for women. And how different it is compared to ABC. There is some event at Crown where students destroy an old car. These girls are using a sledge hammer and must wear skirts. So weirdly strict. 

E4E564BA-53D8-49F6-9B3F-D087F3226A4D.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1

13 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

What do we know about the Maxwell's involvement with a branch of a company called "We Communicate Inc."?

It looks like it was incorporated in 1998 with a non-Maxwell as agent,

then between 2016 and 2020 they added Maxwells: Christopher as treasurer, John as director, Joseph as director, Melanie as director, Nathan as director and then president, Sarah as secretary (listed twice), and Steve as president.

Then during the first week of August in 2021, they removed Christopher, John, Joseph, Nathan, Sarah and Steve.

During the second week of August they added Melanie, Nathan, and Sarah back, then during the third week in August they removed them again, apparently leaving only the non-Maxwell person.

???

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_mo/F00452514/events

No idea, but it's a Maxwell venture so who knows what kind of maneuvering they are doing. 

I find it so beyond ironic that they think they are a "communication" company - and always have - when they fail ever basic communication tenant in existence. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

On 11/6/2021 at 8:43 AM, kpmom said:

We all gotta get our Maxwell fix somehow!

I agree. The Maxwells fascinate me because, unlike Gary Hawkins and the Rods and so many other fundies we talk about, they are intelligent, willing to work to support their families, and relatively (for fundies) well-educated. I follow other fundies just to remind myself that Those People exist and walk among us so we shouldn't be too surprised when people like Trump and Marjorie Taylor Greene are elected to office. But I follow the Maxwells to try and understand just what makes them the way they are. Steve being a huge control freak (hi, Steve, yes you are, don't pretend you're not) is a major part of it, but what else?

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 1

On 11/3/2021 at 4:27 PM, kpmom said:

Although I can't imagine ever spending money on their crappy books, if they ever wrote a "The True Untold Story of Why We Changed" book, I might make a exception.

I hope they do write such a book but if they do, it would probably be after Steve and Teri shuffle off to their heavenly abode, if there is one!  I hope I live long enough to read it.  I'm just about the same age as Steve and Teri, so that is very iffy!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

I think there is a kind of amusing cosmic balance in that the Reversals ended up becoming the downfall of the Maxwell way. If Steve hadn't been so extreme and gotten the reversal, perhaps the Maxwells would all still be in their little bubble of Stevedom. 

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 4

19 hours ago, BigSandy said:

I think there is a kind of amusing cosmic balance in that the Reversals ended up becoming the downfall of the Maxwell way. If Steve hadn't been so extreme and gotten the reversal, perhaps the Maxwells would all still be in their little bubble of Stevedom. 

Those reversal sperms were all rebellious!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 16
  • I Agree 1

I haven't been here for some time but I miss the Maxwells. It's like back in the days when I watched Buffy in TV (no streaming existed) every week at the same time and it ended suddenly after 144 episodes. I felt empty and sad! (Still not entirely over it!)

I know the Maxwells were bland and predictable but this boring predictability felt also comforting and safe. Well, at least (like Buffy) until all hell broke loose. :)

With some distance I have started to think, that the kidults and the daughters in law realized at some point that they are a) legal adults now and b) in majority over Steve. 

I will continue to read here occasionally because you all are so entertaining, but I will probably reduce my activities here.

Thank you for so much fun.

Oh I forgot: I live happily without a pizza cutter, but I consider to buy one as a "Maxwell Memento"!

• Upvote 13
  • Love 6

I have always believed (and have said) that they Maxwells were more liberal than they have presented on their blog. So while I think the goings on are a change for them; I am not sure it is as big of a change as it appears to us. 

Also, in regards to Fundis meeting spouses at Bible college... I think this is true of a lot of colleges not just Bible ones. So many of my friends met their spouses at college and a lot met them after college through friends from college.  

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, ElizaB said:

I have always believed (and have said) that they Maxwells were more liberal than they have presented on their blog. So while I think the goings on are a change for them; I am not sure it is as big of a change as it appears to us. 

Also, in regards to Fundis meeting spouses at Bible college... I think this is true of a lot of colleges not just Bible ones. So many of my friends met their spouses at college and a lot met them after college through friends from college.  

Oh I’ve heard a lot about sororities where “ring by spring” was openly discussed as a goal. But only at the Bible college that a)I was encouraged to attend and b) had absolutely no intention of enrolling did I  hear women talking about working on their Mrs degree. 

• Upvote 3

On 11/6/2021 at 8:15 AM, browngrl said:

We've seen small glimpses of Anna and Mary doing things separately and hopefully they are at least opening their eyes to different possibilities. Fingers crossed they get more out of college than just a ring and fingers extra crossed that they start posting about it on social media so that I can follow along.

Having lived their lives in a sensory deprivation tank aka The Maxwell Compound, the world is their oyster: just eating salsa on their eggs or taking the trash out in their pajamas or staying up late (and other 15-minute schedule deviations) or skipping church or letting the dust accumulate on the ceiling fan, maybe burning a pile of vests, then eating ALL the animal crackers before giving away some side hugs to men for fun. And girls, a word to the wise, do not document your wild and lascivious adventures on social media.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

There's more pictures of Anna and Mary on facebook but I don't want to put them all here.  All the posts are public.  Put Appalachian Bible College in facebook's search.  Then on the left hand side click "posts."  Keep scrolling and you will find more pictures of them.  Anyone who tagged the college has posts that show up under the search.  

• Thank You 9

33 minutes ago, sableduck said:

But…but…they’re having fun. 
What’s next; five animal crackers?

Is that is a dorm room lounge? They get to have the genders mixing in their dorm lounges? Heavens!!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Is that is a dorm room lounge? They get to have the genders mixing in their dorm lounges? Heavens!!

I was trying to figure out the same thing.  It kind of looks like a house thermostat in the hallway.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, theologygeek said:

It came from a public facebook post.  

image.thumb.png.c5daf2997a0292ca6f8bf7b0551802aa.png

I wonder if the couple at the top of the photo(lady in a dress, guy wearing a tie) are the chaperones /moderators of this group?  They look older than the balance. On second glance, maybe it’s their attire that ages them.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

It looks like a regular home's living room to me.

• I Agree 1

I'm disappointed if the only reason they all left is Mary might have a man friend. I've never really cared whether they got married only whether they escaped the house and fundiedom.
I still think that the women were restless at home and wanted more in life.

What what what !? How did I miss that !?
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic