IGNORED

Maxwell 51: Empty Nesters, Empty Vesters? End of an Era

Coconut Flan

On 10/1/2021 at 9:58 AM, HereticHick said:

According to this post, ABC fall break just started: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUdVqbOhYwd/  

Thy have no classes today (Friday) and Monday. Do you think Anna and Mary went anywhere, or just stayed in the dorm?  Also, there is a 5K on campus later in the month. I wanna see them participate!!

My daughter never came home for those kinds of breaks.  She always had sports practice or a race (rowing) and she was only a few hours away.  I can't imagine A and M went home since they are so much further away.  We would drop our daughter off a week before classes started (sports related) and pick her up at the end of the semester, usually a few days after most people had left (again, sports related). She did come home for Thanksgiving first semester because that break was a little longer.  She didn't have a car, and even if she had had one she never had time to come home for the random long weekend - too much homework, a campus job, and a sports team don't leave much time. Hopefully A and M are having fun on campus or catching up on their homework.   Maybe Teri and Steve are visiting them this weekend.  This is typically Parents' Weekend at schools around here.  I always enjoyed doing that, and it was a good opportunity to learn about the region where our daughter was going to school.  

• Upvote 8

I have a cleaning question.

My upstairs and downstairs is all bare floors. In an effort to reduce waste and expense, I switched to a washable microfiber dry mop, instead of Swiffer. It does a great job of picking up hair and lint but now all of that debris is clogging up the rubber door gasket of my front loader washer.

So I constantly have to pick out wet gobs of hair from the rubber gasket. Does anyone know of some sort of tool I can use to pull out this gross stuff?  Amazon doesn't show anything.

• Upvote 1

I think the Maxwells would suggest you ask google! 😂  Sorry couldn't resist!

Personally, I remove debris from cloths before putting them in the washer, maybe rinse anything nasty off in the kitchen sink and collect it in a plughole strainer so it doesn't block the plumbing. Every so often I wipe the inside crease of the gasket with a damp rag but what usually comes off is just gunky residue if I've been using too much laundry liquid etc.

Edited by ClareDeLune
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 3

My housekeeper or I vacuum the floors first before cleaning them with a damp microfiber cloth.  Then the cloths don't get all the hair and stuff on them, but smaller bits.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

I have a cheap little Bissell stick vac, got it for $35.  It's lightweight, easy to use, has a little filter cup inside you just remove and dump.  Gets into tight corners.  I use this first to get the dust/hair, etc off the floor and then I use Bona hard floor cleaner.  I have a mop head that you can put cloths on, and I put the floor cleaner in a spray bottle, then spray an area, use the mop with a cotton towel connected to it, wipe up the dirt, then move on.  Bona has cleaners for tile floors, real wood, and more, read the lable.  

For the well in the front load washer, make it a habit to use a few pieces of paper towel and wipe out out every couple of loads.   I also leave my door open a crack so air circulates.   

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, theologygeek said:

On the ABC facebook page, is that Mary sitting at the front table in the cafeteria?  

If that is Mary, then she is also in another photo on the page playing volleyball wearing the same outfit.  October 1, 12:46 p

Edited by Baba O'Riley
to add time
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Baba O'Riley said:

If that is Mary, then she is also in another photo on the page playing volleyball wearing the same outfit.  October 1, 12:46 p

Yeah, I noticed that too.  It does resemble her from the side.  Not sure though.  

When I read that bit about Sarah just moving out on her own, I couldn't help feeling really happy for her. I know it's not what she was raised to want, but for a 30 something woman with her own income and a dog, assuming she got to take the dog with her, it's got to be a wonderful feeling. Good for the younger girls, too.

That bit about how their pastor suggested of the girls go away to this college. And wonder if he was suggesting they go and learn about ministry, or if he was suggesting they go husband-hunting. They sure weren't going to find anybody hanging out with Stevereno.

• Upvote 14

I'd bet anything that's Mary. 

Playing volleyball (an evil sport), with humans of the male persuasion (no accountability/she could be defiled just by talking to them, or spiking a ball in their direction) in jeans (wrong for some reason or another I've long since forgotten), her bare stomach is exposed without being painted over, and her sister - who, let's face it, these are the Maxwell "girls" & it's rare one breathes without the others' presence - is nowhere to be seen. Even if she's there, she's far enough away she doesn't fit in the frame and really, when was the last time that happened? "The girls" have always been one unit. 

It also looks like her ankle is wrapped / she's wearing a brace. I would assume her ankle injury last year that was sort of glossed over is more of an issue than something their god could just magically fix. 

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Yeah, I noticed that too.  It does resemble her from the side.  Not sure though.  

Yes and possibly Anna on the table immediately behind, but I'm only guessing because Anna wears a lot of plaid shirts and has that length wavy hair.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

That’s 100% Mary— she’s still wearing one of her favorite shirts! I am so happy for the MaxWomen. 

You're very observant!  I didn't recognize the shirt.  That must be Anna at the next table over.  

I don't know what to think any more.  Still can't get past climbing a mountain in a dress.  Why???  That had to be so uncomfortable.  Did the Maxwells put on a show to make money and the girls always  wore jeans?  Or are the girls getting strong and doing what they want?  If the girls had convictions and didn't care what the world thought, they'd be in dresses in school too.  

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Where are these pictures of Mary?

If you go the Appalachian Bible College Facebook page, scroll down to the October 1,  12:46 post.  Click on the photos where it says "+6) and that will open up additional photos.  Click through to the 4th one, which shows students in the cafeteria.  She is sitting at the first table on the right, sitting at the left at the table.  Her hair is up in a bun-like style.  Then continue to click through until about two more photos, she is getting ready to spike the volleyball. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

It is nice to see Mary and Anna doing well but the one I really wonder about is Sarah. IIRC, someone mentioned that Sarah was reasonably active on LinkedIn. I am not on that site but maybe someone who is can let me know if she's posted any updates. 

• Upvote 3

When I saw the cafeteria photos, my first thought was that Anna and Mary are not sitting together. I think it is wonderful that they might be making different friends. It would be hard, in my opinion, to be in such a new environment and NOT always stick with the one person you knew upon arrival. 

• Upvote 10

52 minutes ago, browngrl said:

It is nice to see Mary and Anna doing well but the one I really wonder about is Sarah. IIRC, someone mentioned that Sarah was reasonably active on LinkedIn. I am not on that site but maybe someone who is can let me know if she's posted any updates. 

I don't think she has posted any updates.  She's using it like people use facebook, liking memes, her brother's stuff, and making light comments here and there.  She might as well just get facebook because no one reads that stuff on linkedin,  She can even promote her brother's business on facebook.  

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Just learned something interesting from a ABC student's public insta. This is the first semester that female students have been allowed to wear pants to class! [also, check out their lax as hell Covid protocols]

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSZcF2qLeKD/

image.png.f96bef1850680799750d7d7e9fb75ea7.png

I noticed that there were way more masks being worn last year. I’m wondering if they assume everyone has been vaccinated now and they don’t think they need to wear masks now. Which of course is incorrect thinking. 

• Upvote 6

Went into Target today and saw dresses that could have come straight from Little House on the Prairie - definitely enough coverage to have satisfied Steve even back in the days of no contrasting buttons. And then I thought "how funny the world is - here's Target trying to mainstream clothing that would honestly not be out of place in fundie circles, and the Maxwell girls are now off at college wearing shorts." 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, mystikchick17 said:

Went into Target today and saw dresses that could have come straight from Little House on the Prairie - definitely enough coverage to have satisfied Steve even back in the days of no contrasting buttons. And then I thought "how funny the world is - here's Target trying to mainstream clothing that would honestly not be out of place in fundie circles, and the Maxwell girls are now off at college wearing shorts." 

Yes, high-necked, flowy dresses that are at least knee/midi-length are very in right now, I’ve noticed. 

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...

No update from the Maxwells for 6 weeks. Looks like they are serious about discontinuing the blog. What a shame, I’ve become so used to their posts over the last few years…

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 12

7 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

No update from the Maxwells for 6 weeks. Looks like they are serious about discontinuing the blog. What a shame, I’ve become so used to their posts over the last few years…

Sigh. We shouldn't have made an idol out of their blog.

I just returned from a weekend in West Virginia. The fall colors are gorgeous.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 5

I admit I made an idol of their blog, and now I'm suffering withdrawal.

I do hope they'll let us know if something big happens, like one of the sisters getting married.  It could happen.

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic