IGNORED

John David and Abbie 10: Selling Clothes on Poshmark to Make Ends Meet

nelliebelle1197

There's a fairly trendy overall aesthetic called "grand-millennial" right now and those dresses are the fashion version of it.  They're often called "nap dresses" and a brand called Hill House is the penultimate designer of them at them moment.  

https://www.hillhousehome.com/collections/the-nap-dress-shop/products/the-ophelia-nap-dress-navy-poplin

She probably follows people like Julia Berolzheimer on social media.  It's also popular with people that aspire to the "southern prep" trend, which would likely make it fashionable in Arkansas right now.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I think nap dress is kind of a fancied up version of a house coat. Based on absolutely nobody wanting to go back to super structured clothes after the pandemic. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

I noticed Abbie’s shower was at Katey’s dad’s house. Probably because most of the people who are actively having babies could never have a shower in their own homes. I’m not shaming them for living in very small homes. But it is something fundies should think about when they have baby after baby after baby. Do these many babies being celebrated even fit in their own homes? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/13/2022 at 9:34 PM, xenobia said:

There was a baby shower for Abbie today, and look who showed up, besides the usual suspects: Lauren! (Screenshot from Esther Bates public instagram stories). There's also a photo of Jill and Abbie, posted by Jill. So she was there as well, although not dressed in blue. 

806E3AFC-778C-4A11-B78E-9134DE0EB575_1_201_a.jpeg

I actually think Abbie looks super cute. Even better in the photo with Jill in the Jill thread. Esther looks fine. But IMO, the other dresses come off as dowdy, which is a shame because the women are all young and pretty. Lauren is so so tiny, that dress swallows her.

ETA Did anyone spot Anna at the shower?

Edited by Satan'sFortress
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, ignorantobserver said:

Not only in fundie circles. Right now, every store seems to sell nothing but flowery, ruffled, old-timey long summer dresses. The dresses in that photo a pretty moderate by the standards of the current retro-fad. They will need to find something new if they want to look different from us heathens.

Well this old 60’s YO will never be wearing anything that resembles any of those dresses., heathen or not😀

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Well this old 60’s YO will never be wearing anything that resembles any of those dresses., heathen or not😀

I personally am waiting for this trend to go away. I don't need to look like an extra on Little House on the Prairie or a tablecloth.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 6

11 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Lauren is so so tiny, that dress swallows her.

I definitely agree. I'm a very small person. Small enough that a child on a bike stopped to ask me if I was an adult. (I know children don't really think before they ask, but come on). I could absolutely not wear that dress it would completely swallow me. 

• I Agree 1

I will say, I saw some pictures from the shower and everything looked tasteful. The spread of food looked delicious. So much better than Jill R. had for Kaylee. Jill has no taste! 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

These types of dresses are popular now. Which is funny to me because they are frumpy and modest. They will be the frumpers of the 2020s.

Yes- walking through Target needs a trigger warning for ex-fundies!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I noticed Abbie’s shower was at Katey’s dad’s house. Probably because most of the people who are actively having babies could never have a shower in their own homes. I’m not shaming them for living in very small homes. But it is something fundies should think about when they have baby after baby after baby. Do these many babies being celebrated even fit in their own homes? 

Katey’s dad is well off and her stepmom might be in an empty nester phase where she’s happy to host the party in their big house. It doesn’t mean that Abbie - who only has one child - doesn’t have room for a crib. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Katey’s dad is well off and her stepmom might be in an empty nester phase where she’s happy to host the party in their big house. It doesn’t mean that Abbie - who only has one child - doesn’t have room for a crib. 

Well I don’t think Abbie would host her own baby shower in her home. I didn’t think most people did that. It’s usually someone else in the family or friend group to throw it. I wasn’t saying Abbie didn’t have room for a crib. I just said that these people who have baby after baby after baby should think about having room for all these kids if they don’t have room to throw a shower for their friend. That’s all. 
Oh and I have a small house. But I have two kids and I’m done. I’m not over here talking about all the amazingness of being quiverful.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Well I don’t think Abbie would host her own baby shower in her home. I didn’t think most people did that. It’s usually someone else in the family or friend group to throw it. I wasn’t saying Abbie didn’t have room for a crib. I just said that these people who have baby after baby after baby should think about having room for all these kids if they don’t have room to throw a shower for their friend. That’s all. 

I know. I just think that sometimes we’re in a hurry to blame young families for doing things the same way as their parents. It’s perfectly normal to have baby showers at the home of a friend of the grandparents. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

The target prairie dresses hit it big a year or two ago in the chicken community.  I'm a member of Backyard Chickens on facebook and so many people were posing with their flock in the dresses.  AND that sparked a subset called Chicken Dads where men posed (sometimes in the dresses) with their chickens.  They even did calendar.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 25

On 8/17/2022 at 9:37 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

They even did calendar.

I've seen pictures from that calendar.  I was.... amazed.  🤣🤣

• Upvote 1

I don’t understand “ showers”, never been to one,  don’t know who should instigate/host , it’s a growing thing over here Buying a gift after baby is born is still very usual. But saying that Abbie looked healthy and happy , the rest of the groups are extras  if you’ve been given a dress theme/colour it’s up to the individual to chose something that suits. , 

I would wish any pregnant person a healthy and easy pregnancy and birth , and forget the blue/ pink stereotype 

• Upvote 2

On 2/16/2022 at 7:12 PM, libgirl2 said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen them sold individually at the Cracker Barrel Restaurants' candy section.

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2022 at 5:26 PM, Melbelle said:

There's a fairly trendy overall aesthetic called "grand-millennial" right now and those dresses are the fashion version of it.  They're often called "nap dresses" and a brand called Hill House is the penultimate designer of them at them moment.  

https://www.hillhousehome.com/collections/the-nap-dress-shop/products/the-ophelia-nap-dress-navy-poplin

She probably follows people like Julia Berolzheimer on social media.  It's also popular with people that aspire to the "southern prep" trend, which would likely make it fashionable in Arkansas right now.  

Maybe it's a regional thing? I have a hard time imaginging any of the young women I know dressing like that.

• I Agree 2

On 8/16/2022 at 1:11 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh and I have a small house. But I have two kids and I’m done. I’m not over here talking about all the amazingness of being quiverful.

Didn't the Duggars live in a 2-3 BR house before the TTH? That is how a lot of people live who have a lot of kids and a small budget.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, patsymae said:

Maybe it's a regional thing? I have a hard time imaginging any of the young women I know dressing like that.

I don’t think Target clothes are regional? Or are they? At least the gingham and light pastels are brighter than the plague / depression era colors of last year. Fashion as a reflection of the wider social environment is so fascinating. To me, it looks hopeful, but still wanting comfort/ practicality over glam and having actual waistbands.  With the teens around me the difference between this school year and last is similar. Last year — after a year and a half away — they mostly were in pjs or sweats and oversized hoodies. This year it’s more jeans and t-shirts. But nothing too fancy or requiring a lot of effort. 

Seeing more of the photos from the shower, it looks like there was a variety of colors, just this group was all in baby blue. Maybe that’s why the photo grouping? Or just coincidence with whoever was in that particular set of pictures, 

• Upvote 2

On 8/23/2022 at 5:29 PM, Mama Mia said:

Seeing more of the photos from the shower, it looks like there was a variety of colors, just this group was all in baby blue. Maybe that’s why the photo grouping? Or just coincidence with whoever was in that particular set of pictures, 

On Reddit, they refer to that group as "The Real Housewives of MediCorps", it was definitely planned. 

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 12

• 3 weeks later...

The silence is weird, isn’t it? Although didn’t they announce after being spotted in a pic obviously pregnant? They’re not big on social media.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, ToriAmos said:

The silence is weird, isn’t it? Although didn’t they announce after being spotted in a pic obviously pregnant? They’re not big on social media.

There have been a lot of pics of Abbie with the Real Housewives of Medicorp. But she hasn’t been pictured with them in at least a couple of weeks. 

• Upvote 4