IGNORED

John David and Abbie 10: Selling Clothes on Poshmark to Make Ends Meet

nelliebelle1197

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Charlie was born last month, no actual birth date.

I like how they did that. One beautiful smiling family photo. They posted on Oct 1, so “last month” could be yesterday or weeks ago. Just “ Charlie” - short for Charles? Or no? No middle name or other details. If they want to be regular low-key people, but are a family who people are curious about - it seems like a good way to go.

nice age spacing too! 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was actually named Charles John and they call him Charlie. I believe they call Grace “Gracie.”

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I like how they did that. One beautiful smiling family photo. They posted on Oct 1, so “last month” could be yesterday or weeks ago. Just “ Charlie” - short for Charles? Or no? No middle name or other details. If they want to be regular low-key people, but are a family who people are curious about - it seems like a good way to go.

nice age spacing too! 

I like it too, no secretive situation like with Joe and Josiah where people keep on guessing but also not giving away all the details.

It is the right amount to stay private but keep the lurkers happy.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7

It’s interesting how birth announcements go now that there is no show. I prefer announcements like this. The Us or People mag announcements were excessive. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 11

I love the name! I have a co-worker named Charlie (Charles), who's the sweetest guy ever. 

Love the photo, and am glad they aren't sharing too many details.

• Upvote 3

Judging by the size of the babe, and the fact that my own grandkid is easy to compare to, being 10 days old, I'd say he's no more than a couple weeks old. 

I'm mildly, but no more, interested in a professional photography set up in a 100% white bedroom. The photographer I've known for many years would have chosen a different context for the setting, that's all I've got to go on. 

• I Agree 2

Cute names and spacing that COULD imply some form of family planning. 

I am uninterested in most of what these people would have to say BUT.....I would totally watch a tutorial on what her curl routine is 🙊😂

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

Charles is an extremely common name in my children’s elementary school. There are tons of Charlies because non of them go by Chuck, Chad, Chaz, or Charles. They all go by Charlie. And some Charlottes even go by Charlie. It’s a popular name.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Charles is an extremely common name in my children’s elementary school. There are tons of Charlies because non of them go by Chuck, Chad, Chaz, or Charles. They all go by Charlie. And some Charlottes even go by Charlie. It’s a popular name.

There are 2 Charlies (out of about 55 boys) in my daughter's grade. 

4 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

Judging by the size of the babe, and the fact that my own grandkid is easy to compare to, being 10 days old, I'd say he's no more than a couple weeks old. 

I'm mildly, but no more, interested in a professional photography set up in a 100% white bedroom. The photographer I've known for many years would have chosen a different context for the setting, that's all I've got to go on. 

Yes I thought the photo was odd too, only not odd if it’s their bedroom… 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

IE’s - ABBIE, GRACIE, CHARLIE. They might as well become Websters🤣

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

IE’s - ABBIE, GRACIE, CHARLIE. They might as well become Websters🤣

But at least Gracie is actually Grace and I bet Charlie is actually Charles. That way they have choices as adults. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But at least Gracie is actually Grace and I bet Charlie is actually Charles. That way they have choices as adults. 

I gave my boys names with nickname options so they could have a choice. We quickly settled into calling my youngest by his full name because it fit him better. If he was named Charles, he would have been called Charles and not Charlie, Chuck, etc.

• Upvote 3

I mean even the president goes by Joe as opposed to Joseph, so it’s not like there’s any job where you have to go by a formal first name. It the president can do it, so can you. What’s higher up than the president? 

It’s not like, the more formal the job is, the more you have to go by a formal first name. I’m sure plenty of people in high up jobs goes by Tom, Jim, Ben, Liz, Maggie, Andy, Alex etc. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

19 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I mean even the president goes by Joe as opposed to Joseph, so it’s not like there’s any job where you have to go by a formal first name. It the president can do it, so can you. What’s higher up than the president? 

It’s not like, the more formal the job is, the more you have to go by a formal first name. I’m sure plenty of people in high up jobs goes by Tom, Jim, Ben, Liz, Maggie, Andy, Alex etc. 

I think the -ee sound at the end can sometimes sound young. So Joey Biden wouldn’t work as a well as Joe Biden. Donnie Trump would sound young compared to Don Trump. Teddy Roosevelt also went by Theodore. Not just Teddy. Ted Roosevelt would have been fine too. Bill Clinton went by Bill instead of Billy. But his name is William. The only president I can think of that went by a nickname with an -ee ending is Jimmie Carter. And he always tried to portray himself as “one of us.” So the Jimmie sort of makes sense. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think the -ee sound at the end can sometimes sound young. So Joey Biden wouldn’t work as a well as Joe Biden. Donnie Trump would sound young compared to Don Trump. Teddy Roosevelt also went by Theodore. Not just Teddy. Ted Roosevelt would have been fine too. Bill Clinton went by Bill instead of Billy. But his name is William. The only president I can think of that went by a nickname with an -ee ending is Jimmie Carter. And he always tried to portray himself as “one of us.” So the Jimmie sort of makes sense. 

I think the name Charles is very formal sounding compared to Charlie. Whereas a name like Thomas (very formal) can be shortened to Tom (more adult casual) from Tommy (more for a child). You can’t shorten Charlie to a more “appropriate” adult nickname, unless you totally change it to Chuck, etc., and you end up only back to Charles, which is kind of stuffy. I think Charlie for an adult man is used a lot more than nicknames like Johnny, Billy, Bobby. And I have a son in his 20s who still goes by a Johnny type nickname. We always called him that growing up and he’s still called it by all of his friends.

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Someone explained to me on Reddit awhile back that if you have a stand alone name with no “formal” long version, you can’t get a bank account or access medical services because you have to use a “long formal name” for that. Many people agreed with her. So there are literally people who don’t understand what a legal name is and that a legal name can be short and not nicknamed. 

On a related note, a friend of ours in his mid-40s recently legally changed his name to his nickname. He’s never been called his legal name in his life. He asked his oldest sister if it was ever used when he was a baby even. Her only recollection was at his baptism. Basically it was like Mike/Michael or Matthew/Matt. 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 1

There’s something about the IE ending vs a Y that I don’t care for. Maybe I equate it with being cutsie or infantile? Abbie is different than Abby,  likely just my own hang up. Isn’t Chaz also a nickname for Charles. 

• Upvote 1

I have mentioned this before. I went to school with a lot of girls named Christina. One of them insistent on being called CJ. To the point where she would get mad if a teacher would call her Christina (it was her legal name that was the name on the class list). The second she tuned 18 she legally changed her name. Although I think her family still calls her Christina. 

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I work for a federal agency (part of DHS) and everyone's email address is first name.last name@agency.dhs.gov. On my team of 11 individuals, there are 4 people whose use names that don't match their emails. One always uses her middle name and the others have nicknames, so whenever I have to prepare lists, I make sure to include the name they answer to along with their email address because it's not as simple as first name.last name. 

To provide an example, I'll borrow a senator from Utah. Senator Romney can be emailed by filling out a form for his website, but if he were a staffer instead of senator, his email would be Willard.Romney@senate.gov because Willard is his formal first name. Despite him handing out business cards with "willard.romney@senate.gov", the emails servers will be busy returning emails sent to "mitt.romney@sentate.gov", user unknown. 

I believe the email rule is based in security, but it ends up being another hurdle that workers with non-English names have to clear simply to do their job. They have to choose between having their given name frequently mispronounced (plus the micro aggressions some Americans deploy when told "the correct pronunciation is _______" ) or working with two different names; one for documents and computer systems, another for conversations and meetings. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1