IGNORED

Jed and Katey 2: The Hidden Engagement?

Coconut Flan

16 hours ago, viii said:

It's something bigger than TLC, I think. TLC didn't cover Justin's wedding but TLC and the Duggars both acknowledged his courtship and his engagement. 

Neither of them have confirmed Jed's relationship, and he's getting married in 5 sleeps. It's beyond weird. 

Maybe because of the way it came about so fast? They don't want people to know just how "arranged" this is. 

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Maybe because of the way it came about so fast? They don't want people to know just how "arranged" this is. 

I don't think it seems all that fast. The first discussion of a possible Duggar/Nakatsu courtship happened when someone posted a photo of the boy twins, JB, and JinJer at a restaurant in Arizona in May of last year. Then in Jessa's (I think) "Fall Festival" video, Jed had a pumpkin with "Katey" painted on it, which means they were likely fairly serious by October. From engagement to wedding is pretty quick, but it seems like the relationship started at least a year ago and was pretty serious 6 months ago, which doesn't seem super fast by fundie standards.

• Upvote 23
  • Love 1

Yeah, their timeline is pretty normal. The only thing that isn't normal about this is how the Duggars haven't breathed a word of confirmation about any of it - not courtship, not engagement, nothing! It's just really, really bizarre. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

Unfortunately religion is most likely used in court decisions depending on the judge. 

Disclaimer: This is what a friend told me about a judge in his home city. A large city in Georgia. 

If a young person had a court date for something minor such as traffic violation, drinking under 21 (not a DUI) etc. He would say "I'll reschedule your court date. Bring me verification you attended church x amount of time and I'll dismiss the charge on your next date"  Friend told it like it was a funny get out of jail free card but of it was true it shows that religion still has a hold on the law.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 15

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I understand not marrying, but not burying? Well, nowadays corpses can be kept for a week, but it's very recent. Burials have been traditionally celebrated in the Holy Week if someone died on holy days. I suppose Holy Friday was banned, but definitely not the whole week. 

I should say the "bury" part is a broad generalization and largely depends on the parish/diocese. In addition to the "holiness" of the days, there's also the practical matter of clergy workload when the days of having a priest in every village and town (in the US anyway) are long past. In more rural areas, you can have 1 priest responsible for 2-3 churches. There's something pretty much every night of the week. Chrism Mass, sometimes a parish penance service/extra confesssions, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Vigil on Saturday.

If you want a funeral Mass, you can't have one on Good Friday because there's no consecration of the Eucharist beginning Good Friday until the Easter Vigil on Saturday. And few priests will want to do a funeral (no Mass)/burial on Holy Saturday morning. If you've ever been to Easter Vigil you know why. As my friend says, Jesuspalooza.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Daily Mail is talking about the wedding, the house they've reportedly been given by JB - and how quickly it has happened - along with the Duggar family not announcing it.

TLC's Counting On star Jedidiah Duggar, 22, is engaged — and is celebrating with a very generous gift from his parents in the form of a $365,000 house.

<snip>

According to an engagement video shared on Katey's family's website, Jed popped the question to Katey on Valentine's Day this year.

Surprisingly, the family has kept the news a secret, and has yet to make an official announcement on TLC's website or any of their public social media pages.

<snip>

Screengrabs reportedly from a wedding website indicate that the couple is already set to tie the knot this Saturday, April 3 — just over a month after Jed's younger brother Justin, 18, got married to his 20-year-old wife Claire in a large indoor wedding in Texas. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9419401/Jim-Bob-Michelle-Duggar-son-Jed-22-365-000-house-prepares-tie-knot.html

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

Not a fan of the daily fail, but I do love that they specified "large indoor wedding" (i.e. pandemic party) for Justin & Claire.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Smee said:

Not a fan of the daily fail, but I do love that they specified "large indoor wedding" (i.e. pandemic party) for Justin & Claire.

They definitely weren't pulling any punches for that article. "Sex pest Josh"... 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 11

10 hours ago, maple802 said:

Wonder if they made some exceptions then due to the war?

Possibly.  I wouldn't be able to answer though since they've passed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

I think part (most, all?) of the issue with getting married during Lent in an Anglican church is that you can’t decorate it. Just after WWII there probably wasn’t much spare to decorate with so this may have been less of an issue.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, jakesykora said:

Daily Mail is talking about the wedding, the house they've reportedly been given by JB - and how quickly it has happened - along with the Duggar family not announcing it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9419401/Jim-Bob-Michelle-Duggar-son-Jed-22-365-000-house-prepares-tie-knot.html

The Duggars make no sense to me. I mean, Jed and his new wife are supposedly given a 2100 three bedroom house and meanwhile Jessa and her soon to be four kids plus Ben are squished into a small two bedroom house. Now, maybe Jessa just loves her house or she and Ben are trying not to rely on JB or TLC money, but it just seems weird to me.

Edited by Queen Of Hearts
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

Could it just be that Jed and Katey don’t want to be on TV? Maybe they’ve come to some religious conclusion that it’s bad for them to be on TV? Or that they want to protect their relationship from outside influences? As a son, I’m sure the Duggar parents would respect his wishes as the headship of his own future family or something like that ....

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

And it’s fine if that’s what they choose, but it’s weird there’s not even a confirmation of the relationship. And if they don’t want to be in the public eye, they wouldn’t have posted the engagement video. None of it makes sense to me. 

• Upvote 20

5 hours ago, Smee said:

and they called her 20 lol so much for the one day before to be only 19 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

49 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

and they called her 20 lol so much for the one day before to be only 19 

They were SO snarky is that article! It made me wonder if part of the Duggar silence is Katey’s family, and / or Jed/ Katey  wanting to distance themselves as much as possible from that kind of negative attention? I know Jed! Is choosing things that put him in the public eye, and capitalizing on his well known family name to do it - but maybe being referred to as the younger brother of a cheating sex pest isn’t what he, or she, or her family, wants to be known for, at least when it comes to the wedding? 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 7

21 hours ago, becky_m2001 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't other TLC folks been filmed out of quarantine? I could have sworn the Busbys have been shown on TLC going on several trips during quarantine.

Yep, the Busbys have, so far this season, gone camping, had a sleepover for their oldest daughter at their house, had the quints sleep over at their cousins' house, gone out to eat, and gone to San Antonio to sightsee. The adults are typically wearing masks, but the kids haven't always had masks on.

And then with 90 Day Fiance, there's also been stuff happening that would appear to violate quarantine as well. Tarik and Hazel had a small wedding outside, but it was a wedding nonetheless, and Tarik's brother drove all the way from Salt Lake City but didn't wear a mask during the ceremony. I'm not sure what month Jovi and Yara in, but I think it must be during the pandemic by this point, and they're in Vegas getting married with a bunch of his friends and his parents attending. So it's not like TLC has completely clamped down on everyone from all of their shows breaking quarantine.

• Upvote 4

Jovi and Yara got married Feb 13, 2020. You can see in some of the New Orleans scenes promotions in stores for the upcoming Mardi Gras 2020 which happened February 25, 2020.

most of the 90 day filming after March 13ish was done by the cast themselves. 

while both shows are on tlc, they are produced by different companies. Counting On is produced by figure 8 while 90 day universe is done by sharp entertainment. Outdaughtered is produced by the boardwalk entertainment company. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Yep, the Busbys have, so far this season, gone camping, had a sleepover for their oldest daughter at their house, had the quints sleep over at their cousins' house, gone out to eat, and gone to San Antonio to sightsee. The adults are typically wearing masks, but the kids haven't always had masks on.

And then with 90 Day Fiance, there's also been stuff happening that would appear to violate quarantine as well. Tarik and Hazel had a small wedding outside, but it was a wedding nonetheless, and Tarik's brother drove all the way from Salt Lake City but didn't wear a mask during the ceremony. I'm not sure what month Jovi and Yara in, but I think it must be during the pandemic by this point, and they're in Vegas getting married with a bunch of his friends and his parents attending. So it's not like TLC has completely clamped down on everyone from all of their shows breaking quarantine.

All of the scripted shows that have come back on all the channels are the same - maybe a couple of episodes focused on quarantine/pandemic, then it’s like it’s not a thing that has existed at all - unless it makes for a good plot point, and maybe mask wearing by some of the extras, or around the necks of the main characters -sometimes.  

• Upvote 4

On 3/30/2021 at 5:37 PM, Nothing if not critical said:

They definitely weren't pulling any punches for that article. "Sex pest Josh"... 

Yeah, it must be annoying when articles that are ostensibly about you always drift into your brother’s actions when you were three years old.

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 3

The password is blacked out in the photos we've seen of the invitation. It's pretty weak and guessable, so I hope they change the link if they want the ceremony to be private and for invited guests only.

I hope it's because the  Nakatsu family don't want the public spectacle, but it's very odd for the Duggars to go along with this. Katey probably has not had much say in this at all,  her father calls the shots on what happens.

We won't share links , photos or  reveal any passwords here on FJ as it is supposed to be a private affair and should be respected as such; but it rather begs the question, why are they being so secretive?

Anybody got any ideas?

Edited by Sops2
Added question
  • Upvote 5

I think that it could just be about privacy. They didn't want to make a big public song and dance about it before the wedding, so they haven't. I could see myself doing a similar thing in his position. They have a wedding page and have given access to the people they want to view it.

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Sops2 said:

The password is blacked out in the photos we've seen of the invitation. It's pretty weak and guessable, so I hope they change the link if they want the ceremony to be private and for invited guests only.

I hope it's because the  Nakatsu family don't want the public spectacle, but it's very odd for the Duggars to go along with this. Katey probably has not had much say in this at all,  her father calls the shots on what happens.

We won't share links , photos or  reveal any passwords here on FJ as it is supposed to be a private affair and should be respected as such; but it rather begs the question, why are they being so secretive?

Anybody got any ideas?

Honestly I have to wonder if they're being secretive, because this wedding has even more patriarchal b.s. than usual.

On the other hand, TLC could end up airing both this wedding and Justin's. Both weddings were filmed and TLC can simply buy the footage from the families. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Honestly I have to wonder if they're being secretive, because this wedding has even more patriarchal b.s. than usual.

On the other hand, TLC could end up airing both this wedding and Justin's. Both weddings were filmed and TLC can simply buy the footage from the families. 

Oooh, I think you're absolutely right. @indianabones and whoever else has the password needs to watch and report back, giving the play-by-play of gross patriarchal misogyny on display. It'll be both good and horrifying to see the Duggars openly return to their roots.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Most likely two Christmases from now when both couples are having their second babies...

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 17

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic