IGNORED

Jed and Katey 2: The Hidden Engagement?

Coconut Flan

15 hours ago, elisa said:

Well, this brought me a little smile, because I am Greek and almost in my 30s, I never met my great-grandma also, but we keep telling EXACTLY the same story about her! Exactly! Only the names change!

My mom does this - runs through every family members name and then says (what my grandma used to say too) "If I'm lookin' at ya? I'm talkin' to ya." 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, viii said:

Her family is the one that announced the engagement and posted the video. 

TLC didn't touch Justin and Claire's super spreader wedding, but this one seems to be mostly online, so it's weird they wouldn't even announce the courtship or engagement. 

The hold up is definitely Duggar related, imo. 

You have a point but I don’t see them objecting to the bride. There’s definitely a reason. Just don’t know what it is.?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Maybe the bride and her family didn’t want a superspreader event or a TLC circus. I realise most of the people marrying Duggars are buying into the Duggar brand but this family may think they don’t need that level of intrusion and want to have the wedding on their terms. Or they could just be waiting to see it as an opener for a new series and the online wedding is the only way TLC would agree to it.

• Upvote 9

It's something bigger than TLC, I think. TLC didn't cover Justin's wedding but TLC and the Duggars both acknowledged his courtship and his engagement. 

Neither of them have confirmed Jed's relationship, and he's getting married in 5 sleeps. It's beyond weird. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Maybe the bride and her family didn’t want a superspreader event or a TLC circus. I realise most of the people marrying Duggars are buying into the Duggar brand but this family may think they don’t need that level of intrusion and want to have the wedding on their terms. Or they could just be waiting to see it as an opener for a new series and the online wedding is the only way TLC would agree to it.

I mean, that makes a certain amount of sense, but the Nakatsus are the only ones who have even *acknowledged* it thus far, so they're responsible for any verified public attention it's gotten to date. I can see them potentially aiming for a low-keyish online-attendance ceremony versus a big in-person one, but that doesn't resolve the fact that they produced the video on their website that's the primary source of verified information right now. It's just all around very, very weird.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

My issue isn't that the Duggars haven't confirmed a wedding, because they've done that before. It's the fact that Jed is getting married in 5 days and the Duggars haven't even confirmed that he's in a courtship that is beyond weird to me. Marriage and babies are the Duggars' gravy train and JB always capitalizes off it. It's just overall very strange and unlike them, which makes me lead to believe that perhaps this isn't what he wanted for Jed. 

• Upvote 31
  • Rufus Bless 1

42 minutes ago, viii said:

My issue isn't that the Duggars haven't confirmed a wedding, because they've done that before. It's the fact that Jed is getting married in 5 days and the Duggars haven't even confirmed that he's in a courtship that is beyond weird to me. Marriage and babies are the Duggars' gravy train and JB always capitalizes off it. It's just overall very strange and unlike them, which makes me lead to believe that perhaps this isn't what he wanted for Jed. 

I'm so glad that the Ever Given is floating again so I can devote all my energies to puzzling over this Duggar mystery. Its so odd.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 31

Maybe the engagement video is a hoax and Katie’s family were playing a trick? 
— That can’t be right can it, I mean it would be too weird. We’ll just have to wait until Saturday. 
Easter Saturday is a very strange wedding date. I got married on Easter Monday and I think that it was the closest date to Easter that anyone could get married. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

As someone raised Catholic, I can't fathom a wedding on Holy Saturday. My grandparents had to have special permission to marry during Lent, and it was a Saturday in early Lent. It's not quite as strict as it used to be, but I'm pretty sure getting married on Good Friday or Holy Saturday is still not allowed in the Catholic Church. 

I know!  There aren't even masses celebrated on Good Friday and Holy Saturday.  I was at a Catholic funeral some years ago on Holy Saturday but there wasn't a mass, just a service.  

• Upvote 7

It might be a big deal for Catholics, but no one would have blinked in the (fundie) churches I grew up in. Holy Saturday is for those evil Mary-worshipping Catholics, not Real Christians (tm). 

Honestly, if someone here hadn’t mentioned it, I wouldn’t have thought about it either. 

ETA: I’m being very sarcastic about Catholics above. That is not what I believe. My sarcasm doesn’t always come off well in text. 

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

My guess is that there was no courtship announcement because they didn't court, it was an agreed-upon betrothal. I'm sure Katey knew it was coming, maybe even since she came back from Florida, and maybe the proposal event was a surprise but they both knew the outcome and prepared their betrothal vow. For some reason, I get the feeling that Katey's family isn't super showy/spectacle - other uber conservative Christians who do the betrothal thing seem to share the news but the couple isn't *together* together until the day the Lord calls them to be, their wedding day. The video on the Nakatsu blog is like, their modern-day version of the newspaper engagement announcement xD 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 9

This may be a stretch, but I think they are not saying anything about Jed and Katey so that everyone gets all fired up and speculative about it, thus diverting attention from Jana. I think Jana and Stephen Wissmann is real and they want to keep it as secret as possible for the show.

• Upvote 12

3 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

My guess is that there was no courtship announcement because they didn't court, it was an agreed-upon betrothal.

But they still could have announced the engagement.

It's not exactly out of nowhere since there was speculation about her courting one of the twins going back to at least last summer. This is a new level of weird. Maybe they'll announce tomorrow during Kendra's birth special.

• Upvote 9

Slightly off topic, but we know of Jed/Katey, Jer/Hannah, and Jana/Stephen. Are Jason and James rumored to be with anyone?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, fundiefriday said:

Any insider info on whether or not Jana is actually courting?  

I'm sure that was confirmed earlier in this thread (or one of the other Duggar threads, I've lost track)

ETA: It was the previous Jed thread.

Re: marrying this weekend, I've been in baptist churches (in Australia) for many years and we make a big deal out of Good Friday and Easter Sunday, maaaybe Thursday, but Saturday is not really seen as a religious day. It's just the time in between the memorial of Christ's death and the celebration of His resurrection. Seems a bit odd to get married in the middle of all that, but if I was picking a day this weekend it would probably be Saturday.

Edited by Smee
  • Upvote 11

I'm at least 95% sure the wedding is happening on Saturday. 

Usually the Duggar registries give fake dates those dates are way in advance. They never say the wedding is after the fake date, because if the fake date passes and no wedding has happened, that's suspicious. 

I don't believe the Duggars have objection to Jed! marrying Katey. JB is the one to approve it and I can't think of any objections to Katey. She's from IBLP and her father has money, which is good for the Duggars. Michelle is also probably fine with it. Yes she wears pants, but so do most of the married women in the family.

I think it has something to do with TLC.

TLC is either

a) trying to keep things under wraps for adding surprises. Right now everyone knows what's going to happen before it happens and the timeline is funked up. Adding surprises could help the ratings.

b)or not comfortable filming these people breaking quarrantine. They barely covered Justin's relationship. They had one episode where they spent like one minute announcing the courtship (A Quarrantine Courtship with only one minute on the courtship.)

c) both a and b

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

b)or not comfortable filming these people breaking quarrantine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't other TLC folks been filmed out of quarantine? I could have sworn the Busbys have been shown on TLC going on several trips during quarantine.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

The Church of England wouldn't allow it. People kept wanting Kate and William to get married already, but they were waiting for Lent to pass and Easter to be over.Their church does not want people to marry during Lent and I'm guessing Holy Week is out, too! Easter was later in the year Will and Kate got married.

Here is a list of denominations that celebrate Good Friday.  I can think a few more ( for example, Episcopal) that also celebrate. 

My grandparents were married in Lent in 1946/45 and we are all CofE.

Might have got a special licence though? 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, viii said:

I'm not Baptist, but from my experience growing up, it was only Catholics and Orthodox Christians that really cared about Lent/Holy Week/etc. Majority of Christians (Pentecostal, Evangelical, etc) cared about Easter (Good Friday and Easter Sunday) but that was it. The rest was all "pagan ritual". 

As a Baptist by belief (not the extreme stuff the Duggars go by and someone who's been very disappointed in the new trajectory the Baptists have taken the last 30 years or so... whew!) I agree with this.

I can see the reason for selecting what happens to be Easter weekend THIS year if out-of-town family might be visiting that weekend already (or are looking for a reason to visit) or just being because there's some significance to the date of April 3rd.  Remember, Easter is a different date, even a different month, every year.  Easter will not fall on April 4th for at least another 20 years.

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, fundiefriday said:

Any insider info on whether or not Jana is actually courting?  

@Marionette confirmed this much earlier in the Jana thread but may be able to shed some light on why this one is so secret.

I'm guessing TLC wants things under wraps because everything was released so far in advance no one watched the show. Or the Duggars got so much blowback on the teenagers marrying? IDK maybe I really have nothing.

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Ilovebrownies said:

I agree.  Courts don’t  are about religion at all and it would not affect a custody arrangement.

This is sadly not true. There are multiple recent cases in the Orthodox Jewish community where women completely lose custody of their children because they are trying to leave the religion. It’s used by the community to oppress women and to keep them scared and trapped in terrible marriages. If they leave they lose their children. And US courts support this, which was horrifying to me to discover. Watch the documentary One Of Us. It’s riveting. In one case a woman is gay and comes out, which then causes the orthodox community to force her out. Because she has “left” the religion, she then also legally loses custody of her kids. It’s a horrifyingly unjust catch-22. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 7
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, DrPusey said:

So what I think is weird (for them) is getting married the day before Easter. It feels quite odd to me to be in theory reflecting on Christ/the Resurrection etc during Holy Week, and then there's your wedding right in the middle of it?

Fundies always seem to have a strange relationship with Easter (usually referred to in their circles as Resurrection Day). In my church (I'm Catholic) we don't marry or bury at all during Holy Week. It's too important; the Triduum and Easter are THE holiest days in the year. 

3 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

My grandparents were married in Lent in 1946/45 and we are all CofE.

Might have got a special licence though? 

Wonder if they made some exceptions then due to the war?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, maple802 said:

In my church (I'm Catholic) we don't marry or bury at all during Holy Week.

I understand not marrying, but not burying? Well, nowadays corpses can be kept for a week, but it's very recent. Burials have been traditionally celebrated in the Holy Week if someone died on holy days. I suppose Holy Friday was banned, but definitely not the whole week. 

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic