IGNORED

Bates 29: Marrying Off the Sons

Coconut Flan

Lawson has to write a treacly song to sing to Tiff at their Disneyworld engagement. Then another song for their wedding. That will be more work than he's done in years.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 24

I have read a recap of the last FB live from the Bates and it seems that Nathan, who was the hist since Lawson has a delayed flight, has confirmed that Jackson (the one who broke his arm in Colorado) will join the army in 18 months...on one hand, if he really does well for him, he will be out the house and will learn something, on the other, I don't know if we will really see it happen or if 18 months from now nobody will ever talk about it or say something like he has changed ideas, etc.

What do you think? 

I left the link to the Tumblr recap so you could read the rest of the recap https://precious-and-neat-fundies.tumblr.com/post/652397552070754304/i-never-thought-a-fundie-kid-would-actually-join

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 3

Jackson didnt exactly say that he would for sure join the Marine corps in 18 months, he leaves the door open. He said it was his intention but then broke his arm and now he cant until they remove the metal plates so at least 18 months, and that he is praying about it and about what he will do with his future.

Nathan also said when asked where he and Esther would live that they would expend a lot of time overseas in the Phillippines due to his work for Mediccorps.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 9

I would love for a Bates or Duggar to join the actual military, as opposed to the Christian cosplay Alert Cadets. I want to see them doing hard work, on a schedule, surrounded by diverse folks (including women!) from all over the US, being supervised by a non-relative. I want them to work alongside people whose lives do not revolve around religion. I want them to realize that they aren't going to get special treatment because they are D-list tv stars, or fundy Christians or from a mega family.

I want them to experience life in an organization that doesn't give them "military" decorations for bullshit things like memorizing bible verses:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO2go1Bs233/

image.thumb.png.581e1f8999129c23a750b33bda6c6de7.png

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

It makes me nervous to imagine these fundies in the military though. Timothy McVeigh was in the military. A few of the insurrectionists on January 6 had military backgrounds. On the one hand, it could open whichever son it is (Jackson?) up to more diverse viewpoints, but on the other hand, it could just as easily radicalize him further right. 

• Upvote 19
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Anna Bolinas said:

It makes me nervous to imagine these fundies in the military though. Timothy McVeigh was in the military. A few of the insurrectionists on January 6 had military backgrounds. On the one hand, it could open whichever son it is (Jackson?) up to more diverse viewpoints, but on the other hand, it could just as easily radicalize him further right. 

I kind of agree with this. On the other, they've been through ALERT's faux military training and they have guns or know people with guns. It doesn't take military training to be dangerous.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Is a Bates really the right sort of person to have in the military? 

Too many fundies in the military would give me Handmaid's Tale vibes... But I suppose they are already in that volunteer police bs. 

• Upvote 20

1 hour ago, Anna Bolinas said:

I don't think the Bareses have much farther to go to be ultra far right as it is. Let's not forget that two of Jackson's older brothers were at the Insurrection. 

• Upvote 17

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

Is a Bates really the right sort of person to have in the military? 

Too many fundies in the military would give me Handmaid's Tale vibes... But I suppose they are already in that volunteer police bs. 

Military and police corps are full of extremists everywhere. I'm sure US is not an exception. Yes, in the army Jackson would meet gay people and women with power and people with differents beliefs and backgrounds, but it's very probable that he made friendships with many alt-right young men like him.

Fundies don't usually join the army because it's too wordly and parents would lose control over sons, but in fact, fundies can bright in the army. They are trained in blind obedience, they are used to guns, used to the lack of privacy etc. Of course, they would have problems with schedules and the intellectual training, but still.

I'm never happy when a fumdie joins the army or becomes a policeman. Well, I'm a bit happy for them to find a real career, but as a citizen, I don't want these people in powerful positions.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 6

So if Jackson wants to join the Marines, here's the requirements (taken from the Marine Corps recruiting website):

• Be a legal US resident between 17 and 28 -- OK
  • Have a high school diploma -- don't know! Does he have it?
  • Pass a criminal background check and have no felony convictions -- OK
  • Pass the Initial Strength test: 3 pull-ups or 34 push-ups in 2 mins; 40 second plank or 44 crunches in 2 mins; a 1.5 mi run in 13:30 -- probably, pending his arm issues
  • Pass the ASVAB (vocational aptitude battery test) with a score of 50 or higher, because homeschool (regular school only needs 31) -- some work required here

These are minimum requirements, not guarantees. He could meet these requirements and they could still reject him, depending on their recruiting success at that point in time. He can apply with a "non-traditional" (that is, homeschool) diploma, but he will have to talk to a recruiter about accepting it, and as you can see the ASVAB score threshold is higher. (Of course, a higher ASVAB score gives an applicant more job options within the Corps.) Other service branches will have similar requirements and if he wants to join as an officer a university degree is an absolute must.

Jackson can join, but it will take some work and commitment on his part to carry through with the recruitment process. While he doesn't need parental approval, if Gil and Kelly disapprove they could make his process difficult by withholding a home school diploma. We've heard other fundie boys express interest in joining the military in the past but no Duggars or Bateseses have followed through, so I'm interested in seeing the progress of this little ambition in the next 18 months or so.

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 7

Gil is probably shrewd enough not to make things difficult for his son to join the Armed Forces. It probably would not go over well with their audience that they think the Marines aren't good enough for their sons.  Kelly probably doesn't care about the audience, but will listen to Gil. 

I hope his arm heals, both so he can join the Marines and so it doesn't mess up his life in any other way. They put the X-Ray on Instagram and it was a nasty break. 

• Upvote 4

In my part of the country, at least half the boys I knew growing up talked about maybe joining some branch of the armed forces. Going to public school, recruiters were there all the time, so it made sense that there was some exploration. 

We'll see what happens. Military service can be a solid choice for people to change their life circumstances. My impression of the marines is that there are less opportunities for learning a skill there that is transferrable outside of the military. That's not necessarily a negative, but it is something to consider. 

I do worry about someone with Jacksons background and currently assumed beliefs about gender roles, sexuality, and equality going into the US military. There is so much radicalization happening right now in the military and while being exposed to more people from different backgrounds, he might be more likely to go down the rabbit hole than to learn and grow.

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Is Kelly's mom sick? Carlin has insta stories about visiting her and she is in bed the whole time while the family visits with her. Layla is on the bed with her (which is sweet and reminds me of some of my favorite pics with my Grandma, who was dying when I was born).

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Is Kelly's mom sick? Carlin has insta stories about visiting her and she is in bed the whole time while the family visits with her. Layla is on the bed with her (which is sweet and reminds me of some of my favorite pics with my Grandma, who was dying when I was born).

She's been sick for a while. Her husband died due to covid, but I don't know if she had it or not. Anyway, her health seems to be weak. I hope she recovers, both physically and emotionally, from the hard year she has had.

• Upvote 8

Yes, Kelly's mom was very, very sick with COVID.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 8

6 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Yes, Kelly's mom was very, very sick with COVID.  

Between that and how sick Erin got it really makes me mad how flagrantly they disregarded social distancing and vaccinating.  

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 9

3 hours ago, JMO said:

Between that and how sick Erin got it really makes me mad how flagrantly they disregarded social distancing and vaccinating.  

Yes, a total disconnect, especially with Lawson flaunting his anti vaxx status.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

• 1 month later...

Poor Addallee is already being prepped to be the next Katie and step in when her sisters need a hand. You know I don'5 blame the Bates girls for wanting to marry young becssue at least then the babies they are caring for are their own and they can have two own home and pick how they dress. What a sad life. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, JMO said:

They are apparently doing a FB live tonight, anyone want to take one for the team. 

Not it 

• Haha 9

On 8/20/2021 at 7:17 PM, JMO said:

They are apparently doing a FB live tonight, anyone want to take one for the team. 

Its Gil talking, surrounded by Callie, Jud and Jeb, Kelly is behind the camera reading the questions. He says they are doing the stream to promote the new uptv streaming service. 

Gil apologizes for not having more people in the livestream, he says Zach just sold his house and is working on the new one so they are tied up and Isaiah and Addie are helping him, Ellie is helping Erin, and Trace, Lawson and Nathan are in Haiti with Medicorps. He jokes about them being empty nesters.

They get asked multiple times when will the new season air, Gil says it is not sure yet, maybe April maybe January. Says in next week livestream he hopes to have an answer to this.

When asked if she will write a cookbook Kelly chuckles and asks Callie to tell everyone who did make supper tonight. Callie did. At least Kelly is honest about it i guess.

Jeb recites some bible verses he has been memorizing. It doesnt look to me like he understand a word of what he is saying. Callie tells us she has been saved last week.

Kelly says they will read all the prayer requests people leave for them in the comments after the livestream, and Gil ask people to pray for people in Afghanistan and in Haiti.

The livestream ends with Jeb showing his juggling skills and Jud and Jeb arguing about wich one of them is dads favorite son, they both think they are.

Edited by llucie
spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 13

26 minutes ago, llucie said:

Zach just sold his house and(...)Addie are helping him, Ellie is helping Erin

(...) who did make supper tonight. Callie did.

2 teen nannies and a little cook. The movie.

• Upvote 15

On 8/21/2021 at 5:02 PM, llucie said:

Trace, Lawson and Nathan are in Haiti with Medicorps. He jokes about them being empty nesters.

These 3 missionary cosplayers could have done a lot of good by taking their tree service & construction equipment and driving a mere 2 hours east to my home county in North Carolina, which suffered severe flooding and multiple deaths a few days ago from Hurricane Henri. They could have helped clear downed trees and other debris.

But no, that wouldn't have been glamourous, and most of the folks around would be already be their flavor of Christian.  🙄

• Upvote 16

On 5/26/2021 at 9:03 PM, HereticHick said:

Lawson has to write a treacly song to sing to Tiff at their Disneyworld engagement. Then another song for their wedding. That will be more work than he's done in years.

Since Josh Duggar’s loyalty song for Anna on their wedding day, the thought of one of there fundy guys singing to their brides makes me shudder even more. I’d cringe so hard I think it wouldn’t even be entertaining. 

17 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

These 3 missionary cosplayers could have done a lot of good by taking their tree service & construction equipment and driving a mere 2 hours east to my home county in North Carolina, which suffered severe flooding and multiple deaths a few days ago from Hurricane Henri. They could have helped clear downed trees and other debris.

But no, that wouldn't have been glamourous, and most of the folks around would be already be their flavor of Christian.  🙄

But going to North Carolina wouldn’t have allowed them to show off as much. How can they be cool, international, airplane-flying, white saviors in NC? And think of all the tropical backdrops for selfies. Why help others when you can promote yourself?

Urgh, they make me wanna puke. 

• Upvote 13

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic