IGNORED

Bates 29: Marrying Off the Sons

Coconut Flan

On 8/23/2021 at 7:04 AM, HereticHick said:

And another reason why the Bates and Duggar boys should have stayed home and done some real good with their tree service/construction experience. This is 4 hours west of the Bates:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/10-dead-dozens-missing-unbelievable-tennessee-flooding/story?id=79584226

I know someone who is really religious and she is always donating her money to far away issues, and whenever she can do mission work it's far away. I am a UU at heart currently going to a UCC church and I'm all about social justice and local work/charity.  We once had a conversation and she said she doesn't believe in social justice (that was a long time ago, she may have worded it differently). It's not that I think other areas don't need assistance, of course they do, but I guess I feel like any one of us can look around and see need right in our own backyard. I don't get the disconnect from just jumping in and helping out in the local community. Is it the travel component? Anyone have thoughts on this? 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I know someone who is really religious and she is always donating her money to far away issues, and whenever she can do mission work it's far away. I am a UU at heart currently going to a UCC church and I'm all about social justice and local work/charity.  We once had a conversation and she said she doesn't believe in social justice (that was a long time ago, she may have worded it differently). It's not that I think other areas don't need assistance, of course they do, but I guess I feel like any one of us can look around and see need right in our own backyard. I don't get the disconnect from just jumping in and helping out in the local community. Is it the travel component? Anyone have thoughts on this? 

I hear conservatives making fun of liberals for virtue signaling on social media. But the worst kind of virtue signaling always comes from people like Lawson. People who only donate their time and money so they can receive back pats and high fives for how wonderful they are. The vast majority of folks who donate to charities are not looking for any recognition. They just do it because they want to help. Lawson is an attention whore will do anything for attention. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 23

46 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I think it’s a combination of two things. First of all a lot of people on the right don’t believe there are any poor people who deserve charity in the US, since anyone can make it here with just some hard work and determination. Second, it doesn’t allow them to play white savior to poor backward (brown) souls not lucky enough to have our freedoms. Or the right Jesus. 

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Some of it is a (frequently inaccurate) belief that other parts of the world have much worse poverty and haven’t heard about Christianity like Americans. Trying to lift people out of dire poverty is much more immediate and satisfying than attending to ongoing food insecurity in your local community. Also, really thinking about why your neighbors are poor is uncomfortable, and might lead to inconvenient political and social insights. Plus, of course, if you treat local people with Christian love and charity, they might want to join your church and expect to be treated like equals, which is not what the missionary-minded tend to want.

• Upvote 19

@JermajestyDuggar I never heard of virtue signaling before! Learn something new every day. I've been chewing on this topic today, I feel like it is maybe too "ordinary?" to humbly help those in need on a local level. Or even, just doing it anonymously because it's the right thing to do vrs. the rather big endeavor of raising money and traveling and saying you were in some far away place doing some huge thing and posting dramatic photos of yourself doing things you have no idea how to really do. Like I can't see Lawson Bates ever just quietly donating time or money to say, a local soup kitchen or food bank without getting the attention he seeks. 

• Upvote 12

Eek, I’m going to give the Medic Corps crew the benefit of the doubt. They were already in Haiti before the floods in Tennessee. If they weren’t in Haiti, I think they would have helped out at home. However, I’m sure they’re more jacked up about themselves “saving” Haiti than helping their own neighbors because they have better photo ops and exposure in Haiti. They seem to stick close to camera crews and the press.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Total BEC comment here:  this  acrylic "distressed sweater" on the Bates Sisters Boutique website is one of the dumbest things I've seen in ages. Also, the sleeves are obviously too long.

"The White Distressed Sweater has a distressed hem, sleeve, and neckline."

https://batessistersboutique.com/product/white-distressed-sweater/

r/image.png.d46c59b56a39d16b0a42f1d39966d6eb.png

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 7

I actually think it is one of the cuter items that they have ever offered, to be honest. I’d wear it. 

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Total BEC comment here:  this  acrylic "distressed sweater" on the Bates Sisters Boutique website is one of the dumbest things I've seen in ages. Also, the sleeves are obviously too long.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

The hem looks like it's been chewed by a pet or eaten by bugs. It's awful. Usually their stuff is better than that.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 3

I hate having too long sweater sleeves that I have to roll up--they are hard to fit into coats, and as a left-hander, they end up grubby with pencil lead/ink.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Bates make fundementalism look good in a way the Duggars and Rods and that makes them very annoying to me. I know they are skeletons in the closest and confederates in the attic, but many people don't know that and just see these attractive young people with their perfect Instagrams and just having a grand time even during the Pandemic.

• Upvote 17

13 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I think the Bates make fundementalism look good in a way the Duggars and Rods and that makes them very annoying to me. I know they are skeletons in the closest and confederates in the attic, but many people don't know that and just see these attractive young people with their perfect Instagrams and just having a grand time even during the Pandemic.

I strongly agree. I think the Bates are the most dangerous types of fundie. They are an attractive family and most of the girls now dress pretty mainstream and they have pretty Children. They hide the crazy, dangerous beliefs really, really well. 

I said this in another post but I have never seen a single episode of either the Bates or Duggar’s shows. They first came to my attention through mommy forums and then I investigated for myself. 

• Upvote 19

I've known about the Duggars because of the TLC show and I thought they're weird but didn't follow them too closely up until Jessa's wedding (that's how I find the existence of FJ the first time).

Didn't know about the Bates because we don't have UP in my country, but somehow they (I think it was Carlin and Josie?) showed up on my Instagram explore page and I thought oooh what pretty ladies. Kinda shocked when I Googled their names and found them on FJ too. That's when I started to become a lurker on FJ. 😂😂😂

Maybe if I didn't find FJ I'll follow them on Insta just because they're an attractive famoly without knowing about their harmful beliefs

• Upvote 8

I have come to a conclusion just based on my observing fundies for well over a decade. There is a shift from separating themselves from the evil mainstream to interacting with the mainstream. They are starting to look very mainstream. You can’t always tell a fundie just by looking anymore. I will say it is a bit of a double edged sword when it comes to fundies mixing with the mainstream. It means these fundies may be exposed to outside thinking and beliefs. I do think that’s a good thing. However I also think that their beliefs can rub off on mainstream folks. They can pick up beliefs from very normal happy looking fundie families that could be harmful to mainstream Christians. 

• Upvote 20

32 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have come to a conclusion just based on my observing fundies for well over a decade. There is a shift from separating themselves from the evil mainstream to interacting with the mainstream. They are starting to look very mainstream. You can’t always tell a fundie just by looking anymore. I will say it is a bit of a double edged sword when it comes to fundies mixing with the mainstream. It means these fundies may be exposed to outside thinking and beliefs. I do think that’s a good thing. However I also think that their beliefs can rub off on mainstream folks. They can pick up beliefs from very normal happy looking fundie families that could be harmful to mainstream Christians. 

I've come across a number of fundies in my area, over several decades, who have appeared superficially mainstream.  Once I've gotten to know them a little bit the truth came out: rigid thinking/beliefs, compulsion to discuss Jesus and the need to be saved using any trick, and disdain for public schooling along (one woman told me that she's not going to let anyone else "raise" her children).

I agree that they're dangerous, since they can rub off, but have seen no indication that the mainstream is rubbing off on them.  I think they very actively guard against it.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

So on Katie's Instagram Warden was asked if he'd had a girlfriend and he said no he doesn't have a gf but Katie cut it off as Isaiah was pointing out that was not the question he was asked. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Addallee (b. 2006), Callie (2007), and Ellie (2009) are showing up more and more on their sisters' instagrams these days -- almost always with a baby niece or nephew in their arms. On the one hand, I'm glad they're being invited along on the "girls' trips" and clearly having fun hanging out with their older sisters and being considered teens/adults. On the other hand, while they're not sister-moms and probably not even really aunt-moms, they're definitely being used as on-demand babysitters. When Josie loses her bff and most frequent babysitter Katie to New Jersey, and as Carlin and Erin and the others keep having babies, there will be more demands for their babysitting services.

I would love to know how much instruction/homeschooling those three girls as well as Jeb and Judson are getting; Isaiah, too, should really still be in school. I get the impression Kelly is more interested in weddings and grandbabies than SODRT these days.

Zach and Whitney seem to maybe be staying at Gil and Kelly's at the moment, as they are out of their old place and their new place is not livable yet. From Whitney's instagram that occasionally shows her out and about with only her baby in tow, or sometimes Bradley. I would expect that Addie, Callie, and Ellie are doing a lot of babysitting there.

• Upvote 9

55 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Addallee (b. 2006), Callie (2007), and Ellie (2009) are showing up more and more on their sisters' instagrams these days -- almost always with a baby niece or nephew in their arms. On the one hand, I'm glad they're being invited along on the "girls' trips" and clearly having fun hanging out with their older sisters and being considered teens/adults. On the other hand, while they're not sister-moms and probably not even really aunt-moms, they're definitely being used as on-demand babysitters. When Josie loses her bff and most frequent babysitter Katie to New Jersey, and as Carlin and Erin and the others keep having babies, there will be more demands for their babysitting services.

I would love to know how much instruction/homeschooling those three girls as well as Jeb and Judson are getting; Isaiah, too, should really still be in school. I get the impression Kelly is more interested in weddings and grandbabies than SODRT these days.

Zach and Whitney seem to maybe be staying at Gil and Kelly's at the moment, as they are out of their old place and their new place is not livable yet. From Whitney's instagram that occasionally shows her out and about with only her baby in tow, or sometimes Bradley. I would expect that Addie, Callie, and Ellie are doing a lot of babysitting there.

You have Callie and Ellie mixed up. Callie is the youngest girl. It’s the biggest age gap in Kelly’s children. I believe it’s 2.5 years. I think she had miscarriages between Ellie and Callie. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Their entire lives are already planned out for them. They are going to be stay at home mothers and instagrammers. Don't need a whole lot of education for that, as long as you can read and write in order to read the Bible and write a semi-coherent (SOTDRT common grammar mistakes allowed) instagram post and divide/multiply a recipe, you are good to go. 

• Upvote 13

So it was Addalee who stayed in Florida to help with Alyssa's girls while she and Katie went off to Miami. I actually see the sinister wisdom in it, you treat the girls as glorified babysitters so they will want to get married young because at least if the babies are theirs they will be able to have a house and go off on the trips, etc. Make that step seem like an improvement. It is brilliant in an evil way. I bet Addalee is engaged by 20.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 11

16 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

So it was Addalee who stayed in Florida to help with Alyssa's girls while she and Katie went off to Miami. I actually see the sinister wisdom in it, you treat the girls as glorified babysitters so they will want to get married young because at least if the babies are theirs they will be able to have a house and go off on the trips, etc. Make that step seem like an improvement. It is brilliant in an evil way. I bet Addalee is engaged by 20.

How do these people have this much money to just Jett off somewhere every other weekend. Alyssa doesn't even have a job.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, raayx01 said:

How do these people have this much money to just Jett off somewhere every other weekend. Alyssa doesn't even have a job.

Ad revenue. Alyssa shills everything and has a pretty good follower count. Same with Josie and Carlin. And Katie is already starting with the paid posts. 

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...

The Bates kids are all beautiful. I wouldn't say there's physical an ugly one in the bunch. Except Nathan, because he's a tossbag and I don't feel bad for saying it.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic