IGNORED

Bates 29: Marrying Off the Sons

Coconut Flan

Not being able to have kids naturally myself, I can imagine that she is probably sick and tired of every single conversation being about the baby. Is this the last one?

Adtually, I get the opposite impression from Alyssa. She seems to want to talk constantly about this new baby, and she seems to think everyone is as interested as she is. 

I understand she is very pregnant and wants to be done, and of course she's excited about the new little girl. But it also seems a little sad. Childbirth is the only way these women get attention in these families. It seems like she's saying "Look at me, look at me!" but the reality is, this is her fourth girl in five years and she's just not getting all the attention she wants.

It's kind of like when your oldest learns to read. To parents, it's the most exciting and amazing thing in the world, especially with the first child. But other people have to force a bit of excitement when the parents start to boast about it, because you know, most kids learn to read. "Oh, wow, that's great. And only six years old. Imagine that, she read it all the way through. Yes, I'm sure you were surprised. (yawn)"

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Gil's niece, Kat Bates, seems to be going to Anderson University soon (per her insta). Looks like that's the Baptist but non-fundie (accredited!) university where Gil and Kelly met (then Anderson College).  I wonder what the Bates daughters think about that. 

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

On 2/5/2021 at 7:00 PM, Jackie3 said:

Adtually, I get the opposite impression from Alyssa. She seems to want to talk constantly about this new baby, and she seems to think everyone is as interested as she is. 

I understand she is very pregnant and wants to be done, and of course she's excited about the new little girl. But it also seems a little sad. Childbirth is the only way these women get attention in these families. It seems like she's saying "Look at me, look at me!" but the reality is, this is her fourth girl in five years and she's just not getting all the attention she wants.

It's kind of like when your oldest learns to read. To parents, it's the most exciting and amazing thing in the world, especially with the first child. But other people have to force a bit of excitement when the parents start to boast about it, because you know, most kids learn to read. "Oh, wow, that's great. And only six years old. Imagine that, she read it all the way through. Yes, I'm sure you were surprised. (yawn)"

It's fourth child in 6 years. Allie is 5 years old. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Gil's niece, Kat Bates, seems to be going to Anderson University soon (per her insta). Looks like that's the Baptist but non-fundie (accredited!) university where Gil and Kelly met (then Anderson College).  I wonder what the Bates daughters think about that. 

I think Gil’s brother has 4 girls and they seem to live pretty normal lives. I have no doubt that some of the Bates daughters are jealous. I’m sure a couple other daughters frown upon it. We won’t  ever really know though. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

They do live pretty normal lives.  It just seems so crazy that the Bates kids aren't allowed to go to the college their own parents went to. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

That's the first time I really looked at the snow skirts up close. It is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a while. I think it really shows the point of the skirts isn't just modesty but legalism and control.  There's not much that covers more than a snow suit but you still have to wear a skirt because the parents say so and they are in charge. 

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 9

Snow skirts do have a practical use. I need to buy myself one, because I volunteer at ski races (lots of standing around in the cold!) and I like winter bonfires; having a snow skirt to wear over my snow pants will add an extra layer of warmth, since my warmest coat only goes to my hips.

That said, wearing them when actually exercising is ridiculous and possibly dangerous. Free movement of the legs is important, and a snow skirt will impede that. Wearing it downhill skiing, when you're getting on and off lifts and twisting and turning, is useless; you're more likely to get snow up the skirt making you cold and wet than have it keep you warm. Most of them have zips on the side or front and unzipping will add to the flexibility, but then takes away from modesty: why wear it?

I have seen women successfully ski and skate in skirts, and if that's the only way you're allowed to exercise I guess it's better than not getting out at all. But the Bates are far away from frumpers now and should put safety first.

• Upvote 9

On 2/8/2021 at 4:41 AM, irish_dancing_canadian said:

I think Gil’s brother has 4 girls and they seem to live pretty normal lives. I have no doubt that some of the Bates daughters are jealous. I’m sure a couple other daughters frown upon it. We won’t  ever really know though. 

They were home schooled. Pretty sure it was mainstream. Kat has been in college for a while. Not sure if it’s Anderson. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lgirlrocks said:

They were home schooled. Pretty sure it was mainstream. Kat has been in college for a while. Not sure if it’s Anderson. 

Yes, she's a junior, majoring in theater. Alyssa and Whitney congratulated her on Instagram when she was accepted.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, indianabones said:

Yes, she's a junior, majoring in theater. Alyssa and Whitney congratulated her on Instagram when she was accepted.

So she's not only attending a mainstream university; she's majoring in theater. In my experience,  theater people to be liberal, open-minded and less judgmental. Obviously not all people in the theater are like that, but a large portion of them are. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

53 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

So she's not only attending a mainstream university; she's majoring in theater. In my experience,  theater people to be liberal, open-minded and less judgmental. Obviously not all people in the theater are like that, but a large portion of them are. 

Do you think she might try to grift of Tiffany

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

It seems that some highlights of the season could be a potential marriage (I think Nathan and Esther since it was mentioned a son), some serious relationship work (what can this mean for them?) for Katie and Travis, and pregnancies announcements. 

• Upvote 8

55 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLMlrNFD1o7/?igshid=26qi8xcjwx

Jackson broke (badly) his arm in Colorado. I guess they will say something like "it could have happened everywhere/everytime" so the idea to go on an unnecessary sky trip during a pandemic was justified 

UP TV will be loving the drama of this.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLMlrNFD1o7/?igshid=26qi8xcjwx

Jackson broke (badly) his arm in Colorado. I guess they will say something like "it could have happened everywhere/everytime" so the idea to go on an unnecessary sky trip during a pandemic was justified 

That's a nasty break. (They show the x-ray.) 

The only thing I know about Jackson is that he mentioned possibly joining the marines during a BUB endorsement of ALERT. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Today is "I Iove you day", what kind of announcement do you think will come out by today? 

I was scrolling on Instagram and didn't see anything special, but didn't search for the Bates account specifically. Can we have a Nester engagement? Or a sex announcement for Josie's baby? 

Edit I had just posted the comment and Instagram notified me that I had new stories to look at. Nathan has surprised Esther with a visit so i will put my bet on their engagement as the next news 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

Today is "I Iove you day", what kind of announcement do you think will come out by today? 

I was scrolling on Instagram and didn't see anything special, but didn't search for the Bates account specifically. Can we have a Nester engagement? Or a sex announce for Josie's baby? 

Nathan surprised Esther yesterday. He posted a video of a surprise visit. There wasn’t a ring. Just a surprise visit so who knows if they will get engaged today. Maybe.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Here are my guesses, from most to least likely: 

1. Travis proposes to Katie.  I don't even know if they're together, but now that he has the house there'll be no avoiding an engagement. 

2. Nathan proposes to Esther.  He did just surprise her with a visit. 

3. Lawson announces courtship w/Tiffany. Introduces her to the family at I Love You Day. They are together right now, and she just posted the most explicit announcement yet. 

4. Carlin announces 2nd pregnancy. Just because Carlin loves attention. 

• Upvote 16

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

3. Lawson announces courtship w/Tiffany. Introduces her to the family at I Love You Day. They are together right now, and she just posted the most explicit announcement yet. 

She was in the Colorado trip, so his family already knows her. 

• Upvote 7

Spoiler

I love how they say they affectionately call it “I love you day” to not sound weird to normal society. When we all k ow it’s because they are anti saints and Catholics 

Spoiler

28BE4138-22F8-4EE2-A617-C705F85A43CD.thumb.png.7e2347cc63afc6b5b6719962352a11a6.png

• Upvote 13

15 hours ago, llucie said:

She was in the Colorado trip, so his family already knows her. 

Didn't stop them from staging the whole Trace surprises everyone by bringing Chaney a few years ago for the show. Kelly Jo acted like she had no idea who the girl was on camera. 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic