IGNORED

Bates 29: Marrying Off the Sons

Coconut Flan

On 11/2/2021 at 4:50 AM, Melissa1977 said:

Carlin a a boyfriend or a suitor or a precourtship before Evan. FJ suspects he could have been Joseph Duggar.

If so, good. That would have been a very poor match. I remember some thought that Lawson was interested in Jinger. Lawson and Jeremy do have some similarities.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

I can't see Carlin with Joe, either. I also think Joe is very serious generally and very serious about not having a broken courtship. I don't think he would chance it not working out by making very certain he and the gal were really serious about each other. 

• Upvote 12

Carlin definitely had a relationship/courtship before Evan. In one of the episodes where she went to visit Evan's family (possibly around the holidays?) he sang her a song he'd written about knowing her heart had been broken and how hurt she'd been before. She cried a lot and was loudly impressed by his songwriting. 

The speculation between Joe and Carlin (or Tori) was because Joe and Joy were constantly seen at the Bates and Joe was staying with them while he attended Clown College. 

The timing for it to have been Joe and Carlin seemed to be spot on. If it was those two, what a terrible match they would have made. Quiet, simple-life Joe and poser, attention-loving Carlin. Seems they both found more suitable matches. 

As for Joe not having a broken courtship, we know perfectly well how much these families lie and make up their own timelines to suit their narrative. 

• Upvote 19

Liking your best friend’s brother is a stage of life many go through. Usually as kids. I remember I liked my friend’s brother all of 5 minutes and then it went away pretty quickly. I think it’s a pretty normal phase but I could see carlin making a huge deal out of it. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Carlin definitely had a relationship/courtship before Evan. In one of the episodes where she went to visit Evan's family (possibly around the holidays?) he sang her a song he'd written about knowing her heart had been broken and how hurt she'd been before. She cried a lot and was loudly impressed by his songwriting. 

Carlin also confirmed it in at least two Q&A she did on their YT channel. Obviously she didnt say who the guy was.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

On 11/1/2021 at 10:00 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

As we’ve seen lately, Kelly is still very busy even though half her kids are out of the house. I think she will stay very busy and the younger kids will get away with much more than their older siblings did. That’s why I think one of the younger ones will get a girl pregnant. And as all fundies do, publicly they will spin it as a good thing because all babies are blessings. But privately they will be seething and constantly shaming the kid to get married.

Or they will do as generations before them have done, have a shotgun wedding and claim the baby is premature even though it weighs 8 pounds at birth. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

Carlin shares some superficial similarities to Kendra, but is way more attention-seeking and seems like instead of actually being bubbly and cheerful she's trying to cover up anxiety. I don't know enough about Kendra to swear she isn't, but she does seem to be more content. At least before 3 kids, who knows now?

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Carlin shares some superficial similarities to Kendra, but is way more attention-seeking and seems like instead of actually being bubbly and cheerful she's trying to cover up anxiety. I don't know enough about Kendra to swear she isn't, but she does seem to be more content. At least before 3 kids, who knows now?

Kendra probably doesn’t even know now. The gal had 3 kids in 3 5/12 months of marriage, and at the age of 22 1/2. If she was thinking at all, she’d slow her roll. 

• Upvote 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 6

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the three teen Bates boys tries to date a Shaw girl. They live in Brentwood Tennessee so they aren’t super far and they are very pretty. And we know the Bates boys only go after the very pretty fundie females 

• Upvote 10

On 11/6/2021 at 9:20 PM, postscript said:

Or they will do as generations before them have done, have a shotgun wedding and claim the baby is premature even though it weighs 8 pounds at birth. 

My Gramma would say “The first baby comes when the first baby comes, the rest of them take nine months” 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 24
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JustEnough said:

My Gramma would say “The first baby comes when the first baby comes, the rest of them take nine months” 

I got pregnant with our son 2.5 weeks before our wedding, and my grandma said something similar! Hahaha!

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 3
  • Love 3

My mom had a book of letters sent to Ann Landers.  In one, the grandmother of a twenty-something grandson wrote in.  Grandson was a new father to an 8 lb. baby only 7 months after the wedding.  Her grandson and his wife assured her they were virgins until their wedding night and the baby was born early.  It seemed very important to them that she believe that, so she said something about the miracle of modern medicine and let it go.  Rather than stir things up by asking other family members if the premature birth was true, she opted to ask Ann.  Ann's reply: "The baby was on time.  The wedding was late.  Keep quiet and enjoy the new baby."

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 19
  • Love 4

A friend at uni decades ago was adamant about no sex before marriage. She came back from her honeymoon wearing maternity clothes, only just pregnant she said, just showing early, went on maternity leave a couple of months earlier than the norm and had a 7lb baby two months early.  I think it was a matter of convincing herself that she hadn’t gone against her principles and succumbed to temptation like the rest of us. 

• Upvote 11
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 2

My half-sister has a condition where babies grow faster in the womb. My oldest nephew was a 10-lb baby born a month premature! (He still had to stay in the NICU.) All her babies (4 of them total) have been like that. 

• Upvote 5

There are 19th century medical textbooks that say things like: a first baby is often born healthily and well sized after 7 months, subsequent babies arrive after 9 months. 

I think this kind of thing was much easier to fudge then (and was clearly also very common), as it was very difficult to know exactly when you were pregnant. I have an obstetrics textbook from the world's oldest still operating maternity hospital from 1904, which has an entire, long chapter on 'diagnosing pregnancy'. You just couldn't be sure until you could hear or feel the foetus, which is quite late on. An at home pregnancy test you could do yourself was only invented 50 years ago (by Margaret Crane, called the predictor).

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apropos of nothing, I was reading the Congressional Record yesterday and noticed this speech:

[Page H6722]

From the Congressional Record Online through the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov]

MEMORIAL GARDEN FOR RETIRED STATUES

The SPEAKER pro tempore. The Chair recognizes the gentleman from

Tennessee (Mr. Burchett) for 5 minutes.

Mr. BURCHETT. Mr. Speaker, State and local governments across the

country are caving to woke demands and removing statues of certain

United States Presidents from their public buildings. Last week, Thomas

Jefferson's statue--if you can imagine, Thomas Jefferson's statue--was

removed from New York City's City Hall....

Governments can decide what they want to display in public buildings,

but what happens to the statues of Presidents they remove? Will they

get covered with a tarp or moved to a dusty corner of a basement

somewhere? Or even worse than that, will they decorate our country's

landfills?

Instead of taking up space in some storage or waste facility, statues

of U.S. Presidents that get removed from government buildings should go

to a national memorial garden. That way they can still be viewed by

people who want to see them and learn about those who led our country

in the past.

In fact, there is a pastor in my district who is a good friend of

mine; he is willing to take presidential statues that these politicians

don't want. Pastor Clarence Sexton will start the national garden

himself at Crown College in Powell, Tennessee, where he serves as

president.

Mr. Speaker, he has probably one of the best collections of United

States memorabilia that I think I have seen outside of the Smithsonian

and has letters and autographs and things from every President since

George Washington.

The far left can pretend all it wants that these figures do not

exist, but you cannot cancel history, Mr. Speaker.

• Rufus Bless 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 4

It occurred to me that when Carlin has her baby in March, the Bates will officially have more grandchildren than children. They currently have 18: 4 from Zach, 4 from Erin, 4 from Alyssa, 3 from Tori, 2 from Josie and 1 from Carlin. Finley Marie will bring it to 19 and the baby boy Stewart to 20. 

And they still have 10 unmarried children plus the very newly married Nathan and Katie. 

• Upvote 11

I lean towards the Bates outnumbering the Duggars when it comes to grandchildren. Jill and Jinger have already admitted they use family planning. Plus now that Josh has been so publicly exposed, and to a lesser extent JB and Michelle I could see one child here and another child there losing their devotion to family ideals. 

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
Add a thought
  • Upvote 13

8 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I lean towards the Bates outnumbering the Duggars when it comes to grandchildren for some reason. 

Maybe but the Bates girls seems to have more medical issues than the Duggar women, so who knows. Right now the Duggars 22 grandchildren from 10 married children and one more on the way. 

• Upvote 2

What I will say is that I doubt many of the Bates or Duggar kids will end up with double digits. Maybe a few will. But I doubt it be will be more than a few. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What I will say is that I doubt many of the Bates or Duggar kids will end up with double digits. Maybe a few will. But I doubt it be will be more than a few. 

Same. Tori and Nathan are my bets for the biggest families amongst the Bates kids and I think Katie and Lawson will have the smallest families. 

I think if Michael had been able to get pregnant easily, she would have had a lot and Erin was open about wanting at least 10 but her health problems have made that highly unlikely. None of the other girls strike me as wanting a dozen kids. 

• Upvote 8

On 2/14/2021 at 10:17 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Nathan surprised Esther yesterday. He posted a video of a surprise visit. There wasn’t a ring. Just a surprise visit so who knows if they will get engaged today. Maybe.

Nathan looks and acts like a giant toddler.  

• Upvote 8

On 12/7/2021 at 1:11 AM, Pecansforeveryone said:

I lean towards the Bates outnumbering the Duggars when it comes to grandchildren. Jill and Jinger have already admitted they use family planning. Plus now that Josh has been so publicly exposed, and to a lesser extent JB and Michelle I could see one child here and another child there losing their devotion to family ideals. 

I agree on the Bates outnumbering the Duggar grandchildren. Where did Jinger say she is using contraception? I missed that!

• Upvote 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic