IGNORED

Alyssa and John 7: Laura Ingalls, Something, Something...

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

It looks like she's in a hospital, so that's good I guess. 

She said a while back she'd be delivering in a hospital, because after her heart issues they just felt the added level of medical care was a good choice. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

On 2/4/2021 at 11:57 PM, Jackie3 said:

I watched video of Lexi's fourth birthday (or should I say, the video where they monetize Lexi's fourth birthday). It is a good example of the failure of the SOTDRT

There's lots of balloons that need to be blown up. Alyssa says -- twice! -- that she "doesn't have enough oxygen" to blow up the balloons. She says it once to the audience and once to John, who laughs uneasily. John has never seemed too bright to me, but I think even he knows that people exhale mostly nitrogen, and very little oxygen.

If you asked me, I would said we exhale carbon dioxide. (CO2)  I'm relatively well educated and I've never heard we breathe out mostly nitrogen.  I had to google this to realize that air is mostly nitrogen. 

We seem to have problems with medical literacy or science literacy as a culture. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

27 minutes ago, LillyP said:

She said a while back she'd be delivering in a hospital, because after her heart issues they just felt the added level of medical care was a good choice. 

They learned something. Yay!

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 3

Maci was born at 6:00 am and the story ran in People 6 hours later....that's speedy! Maci had her first photo shoot and first magazine article before she was even a day old. I know this has been discussed before, but do the folks who read People really care? Do they know who the Bates family is? Or is People just taking whatever they can get?

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Alyssa had previously gave birth in a birth center.  She had no complications during the births and in general had a good experiences. A birth center is usually near the hospital and staffed by professionals. It has some supplies to deal with emergency situations and in the worst cases can usually easily transfer to a hospital. 

I totally understand and support her decision to give birth in the hospital following the diagnoses of her heart conditions. 

However,  she hasn't been reckless with her births before. She's always been fairly sensible when it comes to birth. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 12

4 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

It looks like she's in a hospital, so that's good I guess. 

That’s true. As far as I know, that was the initial plan, though, and Alyssa intended to have this baby in the hospital in the first place. So I assume everything went well. She looks great in the photos. I’m really not a fan, but wow. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 4

On 2/7/2021 at 12:57 PM, Melissa1977 said:

I take my children to one-to-one walks and lunches. It's wonderful. But I don't call it dates. It's a confusing term (like telling them they are your best friends, which fundies use to say a lot).

Using make up, bringing them flowers etc is like an ADULT (or at least, teen) romantic date and it sounds so wrong to me. Be attractive to daddy? Excuse me?

Absolutely! A friend of mine with children always takes her boys (she only has boys, otherwise she’d take her girls, too) out for one-on-one dates. That’s important to her, especially as she has three and wants to make sure she takes the time to only be physically and mentally present with each one every week.

I love the idea, but I’ve never ever heard her refer to her weekly time with each individual child as a date. Never. They go to have ice cream or hot chocolate, play, swim, go to a children’s museum... it’s a wonderful time, but it’s not a date. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 3

My kids initiated using the term date. They would ask us where we were going when babysitters would come over and why they couldn’t come with us. We would say we were going on a date because we needed to spend some time alone together. Then our kids started saying, I want to go on a date with you! Now it’s used in our family to refer to one on one time between any two people regardless of gender. There is no makeup, no adult role playing. Just one on one time, whether it’s a trip to the grocery store or the playground. We don’t promote it, our kids just continue to use the term and it makes us laugh. Plus they also go on play dates with their friends so I think the term literally just means one on one time to them. Using date in a romantic sense with a young child (usually girls with dads) completely squicks me out; flowers, makeup, dinner, creating adult scenarios, it’s creepy. 

• Upvote 14

9 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

They learned something. Yay!

Bates young couples all go to ob-gyn appointments and hospitals. Alyssa is the exception because she had the 3 girls in a birthing center. She was low risk and wanted a natural approach. Birthing centers are in contact with hospitals (usually are located very near to them) and the staff is professional, so that's not a fool decision to go there.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I remember my first daddy-daughter date. There were a few but I only have a clear memory of one. I dressed up (no makeup, we didnt wear it in my house because we're all too lazy) and my dad took me to the movies. We watched Aladdin 3 times, bless him, and then went to the mall and he bought me a stuffed cat (he hated cats, although has mellowed on them over the decades) and got a meal at the food court. This was so clearly all for me I'm still touched about it to this day. He occasionally bought me flowers or chocolate when I was growing up because my mom never cared about receiving gifts. It was just a sweet facet of our relationship but not meant to reinforce any bizarre gender roles.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 20

1 minute ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I remember my first daddy-daughter date. There were a few but I only have a clear memory of one. I dressed up (no makeup, we didnt wear it in my house because we're all too lazy) and my dad took me to the movies. We watched Aladdin 3 times, bless him, and then went to the mall and he bought me a stuffed cat (he hated cats, although has mellowed on them over the decades) and got a meal at the food court. This was so clearly all for me I'm still touched about it to this day. He occasionally bought me flowers or chocolate when I was growing up because my mom never cared about receiving gifts. It was just a sweet facet of our relationship but not meant to reinforce any bizarre gender roles.

And the internet had a collective nawwwww moment. You dad sounds awesome. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

The new baby is very cute but I can't feel happy for them knowing they're going to do that horrible sleep training method where they refuse to feed her at night. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 10

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Bates young couples all go to ob-gyn appointments and hospitals. Alyssa is the exception because she had the 3 girls in a birthing center. She was low risk and wanted a natural approach. Birthing centers are in contact with hospitals (usually are located very near to them) and the staff is professional, so that's not a fool decision to go there.

Bates young couples go to gyn appts when the filming crew is there. We have no idea if they go to all their appointments. Judging from the way this family acted during covid, I'd suspect they are rather loosy-goosy and that they feel like they are too blessed by God to worry that much.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Bates young couples go to gyn appts when the filming crew is there. We have no idea if they go to all their appointments. Judging from the way this family acted during covid, I'd suspect they are rather loosy-goosy and that they feel like they are too blessed by God to worry that much.

Whitney, Carlin, Josie, Alyssa, they all post when they go to the appointments and show the ultrasounds. They are horrible enough, no need to make them look worse saying they don't go to doctors when needed. It's probably the only thing they do right.

I agree they act foolish with covid. 

I wanted to add that some Duggars, like Kendra or Lauren, seemed to take pregnancies seriously and both went to doctors and had hospital births, too.

Edited by Melissa1977
Add information
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

is it weird how close she is with her chiropractor, she sent her one of those lawn sings saying its a girl 

and her parents came to visit, I know they want to see there new grand baby, but there have been so many grandparents who haven't seen anyone in there families, my g-ma hasn't left the house in almost a year.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

13 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Whitney, Carlin, Josie, Alyssa, they all post when they go to the appointments and show the ultrasounds. They are horrible enough, no need to make them look worse saying they don't go to doctors when needed. It's probably the only thing they do right.

I agree they act foolish with covid. 

I wanted to add that some Duggars, like Kendra or Lauren, seemed to take pregnancies seriously and both went to doctors and had hospital births, too.

I have no desire to make them look worse. I also have no desire to make favorable assumptions about them, simply because they are stylish or attractive. I'm not a fan of these homophobic, sexist Bible-thumpers, no matter how pretty they are or how nicely they dress.

We really have no way of knowing how often they go for prenatals. I really wonder about assuming that they always go for these exams.

Similarly, it's a mistake to assume that ALL birthing centers are professionally run (". . . and the staff is professional, so that's not a fool decision to go there.") That's quite a broad statement.  You live in Europe, and maybe they all are great there. But in the US, they vary in quality quite a bit.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I have no desire to make them look worse. I also have no desire to make favorable assumptions about them, simply because they are stylish or attractive. I'm not a fan of these homophobic, sexist Bible-thumpers, no matter how pretty they are or how nicely they dress.

We really have no way of knowing how often they go for prenatals. I really wonder about assuming that they always go for these exams.

Similarly, it's a mistake to assume that ALL birthing centers are professionally run (". . . and the staff is professional, so that's not a fool decision to go there.") That's quite a broad statement.  You live in Europe, and maybe they all are great there. But in the US, they vary in quality quite a bit.

That might the reason for our very different interpretations. Here a birthing center is led by midwives (which all have the same training standard- otherwise they are not allowed to practice) and they work closely with doctors and hospitals. They also make a serious assessment if you are a good candidate beforehand. You can always have bad luck and encounter a not so great doctor, midwife, nurse, teacher.... but the general prejudice would be they do a good job. 
There are also different standards to pre-natal and post-natal care. Here the standard would be 10 pre-natal appointments till your baby is due (after that it’s every other day) and you can opt to have them with your midwife for most of them. They will mostly do the same stuff (weighing, heart beat, blood pressure, urine, maybe checking your cervix?) and refer you to a doctor when something should get checked more thoroughly. 
So, if they see a doctor or a midwife regularly I would assume they act responsible. I have no idea what the standard in their state is. And they might not post about every minor appointment. There isn’t much to say about it. I also have no idea if their midwives are real midwives or whatever else is possible in the US. The Bates mostly go to a hospital for childbirth, which is in no way an irresponsible decision. With real midwives even a home birth wouldn’t be irresponsible for those who have a history of easy, straight forward births and no known problems. With my background if I hear doctor, midwife, hospital or birthing centre this means good choices till proven otherwise.

The Bates girls had some complications right from the start. Miscarriages, clotting disorders, heart problems with mother or baby, placenta abruption..... Everyone was treated by real doctors accordingly. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say, they make sure those mothers and babies are as safe as possible when a pregnancy occurs. That’s more than some other pro-lifers can say for themselves. After birth and their ongoing tries for more babies though- those are different topics.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 8

Well I doubt Maci is their last. But I hope Alyssa waits at least 3-4 years before having another one. We’ll see though....

People Magazine is really quick. I guess some of their readers are Bates fans cause it seems like quite a few of the Bates get to be in the magazine. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Well most of the girls have the blood clotting disorder, so I would say it's safe to say that they go to all there appointments plus any extras, but that doesn't make them better.

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

Webster.thumb.jpg.af0df7b70efb4a87880094605324e8ce.jpg

Dang! Am I the only one who would hate having that type of attention, especially on my front lawn? I mean, Alyssa can have the decoration she wants, but really not my taste.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 12

2 hours ago, Vivi_music said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Dang! Am I the only one who would hate having that type of attention, especially on my front lawn? I mean, Alyssa can have the decoration she wants, but really not my taste.

I'd hate that attention, too, but it's pretty clear Alyssa wants as much attention as possible. Maybe I'd feel that way if I'd grown up in a family of 19.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Vivi_music said:
  Hide contents

Big front yard birthday/graduation signs have gotten so popular in our neighborhood during the pandemic. I’m guessing it’s a substitution for a party. Sometimes they tell people to honk. I’m so not a big yard sign person. But I’m sure kids love it. 

• Upvote 12

Well most of the girls have the blood clotting disorder, so I would say it's safe to say that they go to all there appointments plus any extras, but that doesn't make them better.

Exactly! Most of the girls have a clotting disorder. Yet they are careless about a virus that causes severe clotting, even deadly clotting. 

Purple rashes, swollen legs, clogged catheters and sudden death — blood clots, large and small, are a frequent complication of COVID-19, and researchers are just beginning to untangle why. For weeks, reports have poured in of the disease’s effects throughout the body, many of which are caused by clots. “This is like a storm of blood clots,” says Behnood Bikdeli, a fourth-year cardiology fellow at Columbia University in New York City. 

Clearly, the Bates women are at high risk for serious covid complications because they have a clotting disorder. 

So they are careless about contracting a deadly virus like Covid--when they are clearly at higher risk for serious complications. But very careful about prenatal appointments?

Careless when they are at high risk, and careful when the risk is smaller? I'm not sure this is a safe assumption. I think they are probably equally careful/careless about all medical issues, because of an overall feeling of immortality.

• Upvote 10

Kelly’s stepdad died of covid. Her mother was very sick from it. Her daughter was very sick from it. Yet they still travel all over holding maskless church and pretending everything is fine. 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic