IGNORED

Alyssa and John 7: Laura Ingalls, Something, Something...

samurai_sarah

she's trying to distract. who would care about her brothers being in washington or her father in law objecting to the votes, if she gives the world the gift of a photogenic baby that she can dress up every sunday? ?

Or, at the moment, the prospect of that.. yay?!

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Have any of the Bateseses or Duggars posted anything in acknowledgement, support, or condemnation of the insurrection?

Lawson and Trace were there. Other than that, radio silence except for the Dillards denouncing it.

• Upvote 17

12 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

she's trying to distract. who would care about her brothers being in washington or her father in law objecting to the votes, if she gives the world the gift of a photogenic baby that she can dress up every sunday? ?

Or, at the moment, the prospect of that.. yay?!

I don't think she wants to distract. She posts pictures of herself almost daily, no matter what else is happening. She is probably very proud of her brothers going to the insurrection, and while she is clever enough not to publicy praise them, I doubt she thinks she must distract the viewers attention. 

2 hours ago, marmalade said:

Lawson and Trace were there. Other than that, radio silence except for the Dillards denouncing it.

Not surprising. I think Duggars can overcome a daughter wearing pants, even a daughter deciding her family size, but if Jill joins a moderate sector of the Republicans, it will be a point of no return. 

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 2

True, she does it all the time. Doesn't make it less tone deaf.. just like Eric Trump posting about how great it is that they sang happy birthday to him when the same people hours later stormed the capitol. Maybe.. then just not show people that you're happy that these idiots are your fans?

• Upvote 6

Today, while surfing the Internet, I came upon Daniel Webster’s latest Tweet. He cited a family illness as a reason he will not be available today to vote on the impeachment issue. The comments are not favorable. Wonder if it’s the truth or a convenient excuse to avoid having to vote?

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

I hope they genuinely do think about it. I know her homeschooling is lacking, but a rough pregnancy takes months away from her other kids. They're young and growing quickly, it would be very hard on them not to have mom available.

• Upvote 11

Waiting 2 years to decide also means they plan on preventing and are comfortable enough to announce it.
Clearly John’s family is either not particularly fertile (both male and female) or are ok with preventing pregnancy as none of his siblings need a bus to transport their kids. Glad they are choosing to follow that example and not her family. Both families of origin beliefs suck IBLP and ATI balls, but at least this way less kids are born into the fucked-upness and John and Alyssa might have more time and energy to think for themselves and become better parents and people. 

Edited by Mrs Ms
Forgot a very important letter
  • Upvote 14

So Alyssa also answered that she can only breastfeed for 2 to 3 months since her supply tanks. Then a question or two later she talks about how they use BabyWise to get all the girls sleep trained by 3 months. No wonder her supply tanks! I don't care how she feeds her babies as long as she feeds them but with BabyWise you refuse to feed them except on a strict schedule and not at all overnight.  

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 9
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, JMO said:

So Alyssa also answered that she can only breastfeed for 2 to 3 months since her supply tanks. Then a question or two later she talks about how they use BabyWise to get all the girls sleep trained by 3 months. No wonder her supply tanks! I don't care how she feeds her babies as long as she feeds them but with BabyWise you refuse to feed them except on a strict schedule and not at all overnight.  

I came here to post the same thing. I’m in the UK though where mums are encouraged to feed responsively rather than by schedule, especially at that young age. 

Does anyone know much about BabyWise? I’ve never heard of it but she mentioned it’s controversial. 

Also, I know sleep training culture is far more common in the US but I assumed this was because of the shocking maternity leave you have there and having to get into a routine to return to work. Alyssa doesn’t work so really could be more responsive to her baby and continue breastfeeding for longer if she wanted to. I feel bad for mums who have to return to work sooner than they want to and have to give up breastfeeding for that reason, rather than just wanting more sleep because they have too many kids than they can handle (I’m looking at you, Alyssa). 

• Upvote 19

1 hour ago, Alysabeth said:

I came here to post the same thing. I’m in the UK though where mums are encouraged to feed responsively rather than by schedule, especially at that young age. 

Does anyone know much about BabyWise? I’ve never heard of it but she mentioned it’s controversial. 

Also, I know sleep training culture is far more common in the US but I assumed this was because of the shocking maternity leave you have there and having to get into a routine to return to work. Alyssa doesn’t work so really could be more responsive to her baby and continue breastfeeding for longer if she wanted to. I feel bad for mums who have to return to work sooner than they want to and have to give up breastfeeding for that reason, rather than just wanting more sleep because they have too many kids than they can handle (I’m looking at you, Alyssa). 

Babywise has actually been specifically called out and condemned by the American academy of pediatrics because it can result in reduced/restricted growth in infants. There are also claims that it’s associated with failure to thrive, malnutrition, dehydration, and emotional disorders. It’s extremely disturbing that anyone continues to follow this method in light of these warnings. 

The author Gary Ezzo is a fundie who advocates for raising your infant from a biblical worldview and having your family be parent-controlled instead of child-centric. Basically an infant version of the Pearl method. He has also been excommunicated from 3 churches because of “a lack of truthfulness, Christian character, and accountability.” How he is still popular in both fundie and secular circles is beyond me. 

Of course her supply tanks if she’s sleep training at 3 months! Babies need to be fed on demand in order to keep up supply. Also, I’ve seen Alyssa on BUB feeding very young babies with a bottle. Not judging her for that, but that also diminishes supply. She clearly has never sought advice from a lactation consultant. 

• Upvote 16
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, Alysabeth said:

Basically you set a routine that includes NO NIGHT FEEDINGS and let the baby cry for hours. Most babies need to be feed at night, especially on the first months.

There are a lot of sleep trainings and I'm not going to start a mommy war. But Babywise is one of the worst trainings I've ever known. Very strict and leads to neglect because some babies are malnourished because of the lack of feedings.

Kelly did Babywise, too. 

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 13
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Babywise has actually been specifically called out and condemned by the American academy of pediatrics because it can result in reduced/restricted growth in infants. There are also claims that it’s associated with failure to thrive, malnutrition, dehydration, and emotional disorders. It’s extremely disturbing that anyone continues to follow this method in light of these warnings. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That sounds awful, those poor girls. 

It also makes me wonder, if they’re happy to admit to using those methods publicly then what else is going on behind closed doors that they won’t tell us about. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Also, I’ve seen Alyssa on BUB feeding very young babies with a bottle

Yes, I think she lies. Bottle feeding is perfectly fine, no need to say she nurses 3 months when we all have seen her newborns with bottles. I think she pretends to be a nursing mom because Erin, Josie and Carlin have succesfully breastfeed?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Spoiler

Screenshot_20210115-112413_Instagram.thumb.jpg.f0ec6703fd049e211ca463894bbde4ae.jpg

Wasn't it just a month or so ago that she said Maci was going to be her last? I guess we were right once again, and it was just lip service, they really want a boy. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Baby wise is horrific. I’m not super surprised she uses it because Kelly did. The program views tiny babies as manipulative and in need of “training”. This is a program that begins the day a baby comes home from the hospital.  Pediatricians have come out to say it is one of the most dangerous baby training programs they have heard of. It is so bad that James Dobson, who hit his dog with a belt, warns parents that it is too abusive. If Dobson says it is bad, then it is really, really bad. 
 Ezzo gives advice for child rearing too. Most of it is in his books marketed for conservative  Christians and churches, so I wouldn’t be shocked if Alyssa uses this too. It advises to begin hitting children at 14 months so that by two you have children who obey the first time. Alyssa has bragged about her “hard work” in training her young children to do the work of a parent, so this sounds like exactly the program she would like. 

• Upvote 14
  • Disgust 4
  • Sad 8
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

Sorry for the disgust reaction @formergothardite but what you describe is mind blow to me. How can you view a teeny tiny baby just out of the womb as a manipulative fully formed person? I just can't understand 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

So I am not a mom, fee free to correct me if I am wrong, aren’t babies supposed to be fed every three to four hours? 

Depends on the baby and the age.  But that's the general idea.

• Upvote 9

My BEC comment of the day about Alyssa is the fact that she can never spell her own condition right. She answered a question about SVT and she always writes “super” rather than “supra” (meaning above). I figure if she can spell “ventricular” then she should know what the heck her condition is called. I have yet to see her or John spell it correctly in any post. Petty but it’s bothered me forever, haha. 

Baby wise sounds awful. Makes sense why she doesn’t have a milk supply after 3 months. 

• Upvote 11

So I had very limited supply and we had to move to formula super fast.  I had a pediatrician who believed in sleep training but not and she stressed this big time until they were 4-6 months. She said that babies absolutely needed to be fed at night until at least 4 months, some until 6.  So that was what we did. And if it didn't go well the first two nights, we stopped and then tried again, and when it went better we took that as a sign they were ready for it.  3 months is LITTLE to be sleep training them at all.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Lgirlrocks said:

So I am not a mom, fee free to correct me if I am wrong, aren’t babies supposed to be fed every three to four hours? 

Most newborns cannot wait 3 or 4 hours. Their stomachs are super tiny. 2 hours is a more realistic pattern for a newborn, but of course each baby is different. Ezzo-style parents claim that a baby properly feed during the day does not need milk at night. It's not true with little babies, because their stomach size and because milk is very quick to digest. 

11 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

3 months is LITTLE to be sleep training them at all

Alyssa, Lori's daughter, started sleeptraining Gideon was he was a couple days old. She said the baby cried just a few minutes. I don't believe her at all.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 11
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Babies are supposed to be fed when they are hungry! ? A newborn's stomach is about the size of a marble, so the milk doesn't sustain them for awfully long. The amount of milk a woman's breasts will produce largely depends on how much demand there is from the baby, so if the baby is hungry and nurses more, the boobs will make more milk. If the mother of a newborn feeds on a schedule, or in the case of the Ezzo bullshit, doesn't feed at night, the breasts will produce less and less milk as, as far as they are concerned, the baby isn't hungry. This also means that if Alyssa uses formula to feed her babies at a young age, she won't be breastfeeding as much, and so her boobs will make less milk. If a baby is nursing very often, or constantly, that can indicate a problem with milk transfer, but if a newborn baby is hungry and needs feeding every 2 hours or even less, then that is to be expected. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic