IGNORED

Alyssa and John 7: Laura Ingalls, Something, Something...

samurai_sarah

I'm also just bitchy because I haven't gone on a date night out in 11 months but the Bates just don't give a fuck. I wonder how they're recklessly disregarding other people's health this time. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

Don’t hate on me. I think this pregnancy has been very hard on AW. Her face is so puffy. I worry about her. I hope she stops getting pregnant or at the very least, you  takes a 5 year break. She looks unhealthy. Also, with Bates’ coloring, the girls need to tone down the blond in their hair. I think they all look so much better with brown hair. OK, enough of my bitchiness. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

6 hours ago, Johannah said:

Alyssa has said before that she loves Kate Middleton’s style. Maybe this is her attempt to replicate? Kate does wear monochromatic suits with heels and I’ve seen her wear lavender, but Kate’s suits are much more tailored and higher end than what Alyssa is wearing. Not to mention she’s usually wearing them to suit-appropriate occasions, unlike Alyssa. Maybe Alyssa could pull this off if it was a political event for her FIL?

I get the inspiration (see image of Kate below, the wonderful Queen Letizia, other royals), but she fails in the execution and understanding the right occasion for the outfit. All these ladies are wearing the suits for Serious Business, I think Kate's was during a visit to an NHS facility at the start of COVID. Also as others said hers looks like cheap poly-blend, she loves that cheap fast fashion. 

26310608-0-image-a-38_1584990043973.jpg

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

45 minutes ago, freethemall said:

I get the inspiration (see image of Kate below, the wonderful Queen Letizia, other royals), but she fails in the execution and understanding the right occasion for the outfit. All these ladies are wearing the suits for Serious Business, I think Kate's was during a visit to an NHS facility at the start of COVID. Also as others said hers looks like cheap poly-blend, she loves that cheap fast fashion. 

She may not love the cheap fashion but it’s what she can currently afford. I won’t knock her for wanting to look stylish and not having the money. She grew up in home made clothes that weren’t in style. 
*nothing wrong with home made clothes if that’s what you want to wear or can only afford it. 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, ophelia said:

It's really something.

I think the blazer suits her very well and would look nice with a dress (black, white, grey, beige, etc.). I'm not a fan of the pants though. A white shirt would have looked better IMHO.

Okay enough BEC-moments for me today. I hardly make it out of my sweatpants these day so who am I to judge.

Dressing up for me has become putting a bra on ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 10

haha i liked Alyssa's look. Would you object to a man who never works in an office wearing a suit? Is the rule.... she has to wear dresses on her dates? Also I liked dressing up in smart clothes way more when I was in uni vs. when I had to do it every day for work, so my guess is a pantsuit is fun and special for Alyssa in a way it isn't for someone who associates it with a job they'd rather not be at.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

She may not love the cheap fashion but it’s what she can currently afford. I won’t knock her for wanting to look stylish and not having the money. She grew up in home made clothes that weren’t in style. 
*nothing wrong with home made clothes if that’s what you want to wear or can only afford it. 

Cheap fashion gets expensive when you buy lots of it (trust me, I know very well personally). If money were an issue she probably should forgo buying so much impractical clothing and shoes.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Monocheome dressing like that is actually pretty trendy. Far more fashion forward than her typical style. 

Edited by artdecades
  • Upvote 3

I think the purple outfit was a bit too much. But I wonder if the suit was borrowed. She said she is short of fitting clothes (I think she was thinner in her other pregnancies), so maybe someone gave her several clothes. A pant suit is not very comfy and she is about to give birth, so it is not a smart purchase, especially if she is only wearing it once.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

On 1/30/2021 at 1:45 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I think the purple outfit was a bit too much. But I wonder if the suit was borrowed. 

She chose to wear it, whether it was borrowed or not. It is not a good look, and shows her lack of sophistication. She seems to thing that matching=awesome and gorgeous.

• Upvote 1

I actually don't hate her suit. But I love wearing colorful outfits in general. No shade to anyone who hates the suit. You can hate it if you want.

But really... I think the Websters' ideology (the armful way they sleep train their kids, the very very doubtful homeschooling method they use and their support of Dan Webster) is the worst thing here. Jeans, colorful suits and the rest is just a new shiny and prettier version of their social conservatism.

(PS: And this is not a way to make anyone feel bad for discussing clothes and the likes. It totally is a secret pleasure of mine to check out people's outfit on the Gram. I totally get it. But in the end, it's just clothes. I pretty exterior.)

• Upvote 5

I can't find the pictures of Alyssa in the purple pants suit. Can someone post a picture of it?

• Upvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 2

On 1/29/2021 at 7:03 PM, freethemall said:

The matchy-matchy lady on the right is Sweden’s crownprincess Viktoria. She always looks good and well put together. 

Sleeptraining seems so cruel to me. I never let Miniway cry without comforting him, and especially not when he was a baby. Crying is how babies communicate their needs. If they stop crying without getting their needs met it’s because they’ve given up. 

I wouldn’t let him cry without comfort now either and he’s almost seven. So far I detect no hints of manipulation. He cries if he’s hurt or sad and if I’m hurt or sad I definitly don’t want people to ignore me. Only assholes does that. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 6

On 1/31/2021 at 10:27 AM, Jackie3 said:

She chose to wear it, whether it was borrowed or not. It is not a good look, and shows her lack of sophistication. She seems to thing that matching=awesome and gorgeous.

I think this was a non-maternity outfit which may be why it isn't a tailored fit.

• Upvote 2

@Iamtheway I can't weigh in fully yet, but my early parenting inclination is to comfort at all times when there is distress. It's hard enough to back off and let my husband work on methods to soothe our fussy daughter, knowing he will let me know when/if he needs me. He got 6 weeks paternity leave from his boss (unpaid, but still almost unheard of in the USA) and I am determined to use it to cement our familial bond. It's painful for me to hear her cry; I could never make her go hungry overnight. We chose to make her, the least we can do is meet her basic needs...

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7

I work on Capitol Hill (well, pre-pandemic, now I "virtually" work there) and her suit looks very normal to me. But I'm accustomed to seeing professional female politicians and journalists who are often on camera.

Some of my colleagues might own suits like that, but would probably only wear them for presentations and special briefings.

I do wish Alyssa could find some nice consignment shops (or buy nice used high quality apparel online) so she could satisfy her desire for lots of new clothes. That ill-fitting flimsy crap that her friend Tikki sends her for the girls drives me crazy. Half of it looks like plastic Halloween ensembles.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

That ill-fitting flimsy crap that her friend Tikki sends her for the girls drives me crazy. Half of it looks like plastic Halloween ensembles.

I know! Maybe Tikki is running out of money or something, but she sends the girls such cheap looking crap. Even from a photo, you can tell it's poor quality material. And the clothes often don't fit. 

On another note, Alyssa once showed a video of her closet remodel, and I counted over 30 pairs of stilettos. That seems like an awful lot. I wonder if she is compensating for what must have been a pretty frustrating childhood. I do wonder where they keep all those clothes for her and the girls, and what she'll do when the girls grow bigger and they need more space for their clothing. It's easy to fold up a two-year old's shirts in a drawer, it's another thing when she's 12.

• Upvote 5

IG live...Alyssa and girls sitting in the car at John’s softball game (clearly not watching the game). Why? 38 weeks pg, 3 little kids. If it’s live, it’s 8:30PM Eastern time. Take those kids home and put all of you to bed!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

IG live...Alyssa and girls sitting in the car at John’s softball game (clearly not watching the game). Why? 38 weeks pg, 3 little kids. If it’s live, it’s 8:30PM Eastern time. Take those kids home and put all of you to bed!

Alyssa has often being critizised for putting girls to bed too early, plus forcing naps. Basically, she makes them.to sleep for long, in order to have free time. So, if exceptionally they had a special evening that includes later bedtime, it is no big deal IMO.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Maybe she wanted to get out of the house? Maybe they were watching earlier in the evening? Maybe there are snacks in the car?

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Maybe she wanted to get out of the house? Maybe they were watching earlier in the evening? Maybe there are snacks in the car?

It's also been cold here the last few days (for Florida) so maybe they wanted to sit in the warm car for a bit. I'm pretty sure I've seen previously that John's siblings/in-laws play softball with him so maybe the girls were there to play with their cousins but got cold. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/2/2021 at 1:02 PM, HereticHick said:

I work on Capitol Hill (well, pre-pandemic, now I "virtually" work there) and her suit looks very normal to me. But I'm accustomed to seeing professional female politicians and journalists who are often on camera.

Some of my colleagues might own suits like that, but would probably only wear them for presentations and special briefings.

I do wish Alyssa could find some nice consignment shops (or buy nice used high quality apparel online) so she could satisfy her desire for lots of new clothes. That ill-fitting flimsy crap that her friend Tikki sends her for the girls drives me crazy. Half of it looks like plastic Halloween ensembles.

Yeah her outfit looks like what I’d see at my (gov) agency. Some people really like their outfits to match??‍♀️

• Upvote 2

On 1/29/2021 at 10:07 PM, wendy-sparkles said:

haha i liked Alyssa's look. Would you object to a man who never works in an office wearing a suit? Is the rule.... she has to wear dresses on her dates? Also I liked dressing up in smart clothes way more when I was in uni vs. when I had to do it every day for work, so my guess is a pantsuit is fun and special for Alyssa in a way it isn't for someone who associates it with a job they'd rather not be at.

Your post made me think. You are right- we don’t begrudge men a suit even when his work or lack thereof doesn’t include one. I raised my eyebrows on the outfit for several reasons and this was one of them. Thanks for pointing it out.
Maybe because suits are the only dress up men have as socially acceptable? Suits for women are definitely tied to the Power CEO Woman. It’s a uniform for a no bullshit, let’s get it down, ultra capable powerhouse. At least that’s how it’s mostly perceived. It will be interesting if suits can move out of this niche, as blazers certainly have (see below).

Either way, her attempt is kind of a fail. The pale colour screams of a different coloured or at least more eye catching draped top. And the wide legs completely drown her. Those coloured suits have a narrow leg for a reason. I like the colour on her and the blazer but the suit wears her and not the other way round.

Blazer have become something of a “chic” cardigan option. The tie to professionalism are still there but much less obvious. It’s mostly used to appear less girly, more grown up and interesting but not as edgy as a leather jacket would say. A blazer implicates you are kind of successful in your job but not as in your face as a suit would be. You would start seeing it around age 16-18 for a preppy look and then definitely in university and in all sorts of jobs. I certainly LOVE my sweat blazer. It’s extremely soft and comfy but makes every outfit I wear to work (think sneaker, light jeans and t-shirt as most casual and skirt/dark jeans and blouse as the business look end) more professional. Especially when I am casual it balances it out when an important surprise meeting turns up. I work in an office setting where casual is fine - though in my country yoga pants only ever are ok in a start up if ever. 
Skinny jeans, high heels, top and blazer is also a standard clubbing outfit (make it chucks and shirt when you go to the “cool Indie/Rock” Etablissments (mostly in bigger cities and university towns).

• Upvote 1

I watched video of Lexi's fourth birthday (or should I say, the video where they monetize Lexi's fourth birthday). It is a good example of the failure of the SOTDRT

There's lots of balloons that need to be blown up. Alyssa says -- twice! -- that she "doesn't have enough oxygen" to blow up the balloons. She says it once to the audience and once to John, who laughs uneasily. John has never seemed too bright to me, but I think even he knows that people exhale mostly nitrogen, and very little oxygen.

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic