IGNORED

Alyssa and John 7: Laura Ingalls, Something, Something...

samurai_sarah

Now I've seen it all. On John's instagram stories, there is a video about four-year old Lexi's daddy-daughter date.

Alyssa is show preparing Lexi for the date. She puts eyeshadow and mascara on Lexi--who has just turned four. Then she applies lipstick to the child's little pink lips. Then she curls her hair, applies hairspray, gives her a vast choice of outfits, etc.

The eyeshadow and mascara on the sweet little face is what got me. At four, Lexi is perfect the way she is. Her tiny face couldn't be sweeter--there is nothing to hide and nothing to accentuate. Why is Alyssa teaching her--at four!-- that she needs to be made up for her "date" with her father?

I think Alyssa and John are preparing this small child for what they want in the future. Obviously, they want her to be straight (that goes without saying). They also don't want some scruffy boy to show up--John is dressed in a suit and tie and carrying flowers, though he has to bend way down to give them to his little "date." 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 11
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 8

44 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Now I've seen it all. On John's instagram stories, there is a video about four-year old Lexi's daddy-daughter date.

Alyssa is show preparing Lexi for the date. She puts eyeshadow and mascara on Lexi--who has just turned four. Then she applies lipstick to the child's little pink lips. Then she curls her hair, applies hairspray, gives her a vast choice of outfits, etc.

The eyeshadow and mascara on the sweet little face is what got me. At four, Lexi is perfect the way she is. Her tiny face couldn't be sweeter--there is nothing to hide and nothing to accentuate. Why is Alyssa teaching her--at four!-- that she needs to be made up for her "date" with her father?

I think Alyssa and John are preparing this small child for what they want in the future. Obviously, they want her to be straight (that goes without saying). They also don't want some scruffy boy to show up--John is dressed in a suit and tie and carrying flowers, though he has to bend way down to give them to his little "date." 

My mom did that for me when my dad took me on a “date”. I was four or five. I loved to wear makeup like my mom. Did I need it? No of course not. I still wanted to wear it. Maybe Lexi did too. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Honestly, if they didn’t have that twisted father-daughter-purity mindset I would only think it cute. Over the top but cute. But with Fundies from that background it gets an icky touch. Now, they might not commit to those ideas, but I still have no problem with judging them based on what I know about their background.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

43 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Adults are perfect just the way they are, too. 

I'm glad you are, but I really benefit from a little concealer and lip gloss!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Honestly, if they didn’t have that twisted father-daughter-purity mindset I would only think it cute. Over the top but cute. But with Fundies from that background it gets an icky touch. Now, they might not commit to those ideas, but I still have no problem with judging them based on what I know about their background.

Actually, it's kind of like Toddlers and Tiaras. Instead of getting made up for the judges, though, she is getting made up for her date.

Lexi is barely out of toddlerhood. I'm sure she loves copying her mom by wearing makeup but it sends the wrong message--that her looks are vitally important. I'm sure she'll get that message soon enough anyway, why reinforce it? She could've had a good time with her dad without makeup, I am sure.

I'm sure that Alyssa tells her girls "no" about lots of grownup things--heck, when you watch Alyssa's cooking videos,  she doesn't let the kids do anything. Stirring, cracking eggs, pouring liquids--it's all for the grownups. But makeup is ok?

There's a very short period in life where you don't care if your hair is messy or if you have food in your teeth. Lexi doesn't need to know that her eyes'll look bigger if she uses X, and her lips can be redder by using Y.  

Alyssa didn't monetize Lexi's "date" but I saw the video of John and Allie's. They ate a huge amount of junk food, starting with McD. Then they "played" in the park--John, in his suit and dress shoes, lethargically tried to find Allie while she crouched in some bushes. Then they lay in the back of the car and talked (John asked questions and Allie answered in monosyllables). They both seemed sleepy and bored, perhaps from the junk food and sugar. My goodness, John, get your swimsuit and take her swimming! Run around a playground! Teach her to throw and catch a ball! Those are the things most preschoolers like to do.

• Upvote 22

I never got the idea of a child dating their parent. I know a lot of people do these things, but God forbid one of those kids would rather spend time with their same sexed parent. Such small boxes; such tight lids.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

never got the idea of a child dating their parent

I take my children to one-to-one walks and lunches. It's wonderful. But I don't call it dates. It's a confusing term (like telling them they are your best friends, which fundies use to say a lot).

Using make up, bringing them flowers etc is like an ADULT (or at least, teen) romantic date and it sounds so wrong to me. Be attractive to daddy? Excuse me?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 14

On 2/5/2021 at 5:57 AM, Jackie3 said:

John has never seemed too bright to me, but I think even he knows that people exhale mostly nitrogen, and very little oxygen.

I mean Alyssa didn't know what the cardinal directions were, so I wouldn't assume that with these fundie homeschooled kids. 

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I mean Alyssa didn't know what the cardinal directions were, so I wouldn't assume that with these fundie homeschooled kids. 

To be fair I had to look that up too. I knew what they were just not that, that was what their name/title was. Even now I am re googling just to see if I remember correctly what they are.  lol 

edit to add yes I did remember correctly. 

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

To be fair I had to look that up too. I knew what they were just not that, that was what their name/title was. Even now I am re googling just to see if I remember correctly what they are.  lol 

edit to add yes I did remember correctly. 

It wasn't that Alyssa didn't know what the term "cardinal directions" meant. She literally didn't know which way North would be on a map and could not label a compass correctly.

Spoiler

717357650_alyssawebster.PNG.a31d3e7e3ca4717d96964f33728a5460.png.752fd758ad9284011b58b84b63cd559c.png

Edited by VineHeart137
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

57 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

It wasn't that Alyssa didn't know what the term "cardinal directions" meant. She literally didn't know which way North would be on a map and could not label a compass correctly.

Hide contents

717357650_alyssawebster.PNG.a31d3e7e3ca4717d96964f33728a5460.png.752fd758ad9284011b58b84b63cd559c.png

Ohhhhhh oppssss I would be embarrassed but hey she has “mid evil” values so she most probably would not be..... ba ha ha I crack me up. Lol

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Ohhhhhh oppssss I would be embarrassed but hey she has “mid evil” values so she most probably would not be..... ba ha ha I crack me up. Lol

My kiwi accent thought “mid evil” was nuts until I heard someone from the US with a history degree pronounce it that way and not medieval. Now my poor spelling self feels sorry for Alyssa and her horrendous education. And shudders that thanks to her in-laws she will have to educate her four girls. 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

My kiwi accent thought “mid evil” was nuts until I heard someone from the US with a history degree pronounce it that way and not medieval. Now my poor spelling self feels sorry for Alyssa and her horrendous education. And shudders that thanks to her in-laws she will have to educate her four girls. 

Wait, how do you pronounce it if not "mid evil"? That's the way it's pronounced in the US. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Wait, how do you pronounce it if not "mid evil"? That's the way it's pronounced in the US. 

Middy-eval?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 3

The only makeup I feel is appropriate for a young child is lip gloss and maybe some mascara, as long as the child has their own. I mean for going out, with other makeup and if you’re at home play all you want. 

Ive gone on plenty of “dates” with both my mom and dad but it was never this over the top. I feel like they’re putting too much of an emphasis on the type of guy they want their daughters to date. Should just be fun, chill bonding time. 

• Upvote 3

When I was a little kid spending time with Daddy meant doing fun kid things.  These dates with Daddy are just plain creepy.  And the only makeup I was allowed to wear at that age was toy makeup.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

Kids roleplaying adult dates with their opposite sex parent is just weird and gross.  And I really dislike how Lexi is being taught that she's more attractive with make up (at 4!) and that changing your appearance from how it normally is is a necessary step for women going on dates.

(No shade to women who like to "get ready" for dates but for some of us it's horrible to feel like it's mandatory. One of the things I liked most about moving to Germany was feeling like I could go on dates without makeup---and without spending a stressful hour and a half trying to make myself look acceptable beforehand.) 

• Upvote 14

9 hours ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

The only makeup I feel is appropriate for a young child is lip gloss and maybe some mascara, as long as the child has their own. I mean for going out, with other makeup and if you’re at home play all you want. 

Ive gone on plenty of “dates” with both my mom and dad but it was never this over the top. I feel like they’re putting too much of an emphasis on the type of guy they want their daughters to date. Should just be fun, chill bonding time. 

This makes me think of the super glittery child make-up I used to play with. It usually was very shiny, colorful and has some sort of sugary smell. Like Lipsmackers. But it was clearly for play. Like, it never imitated adult make-up in any way, and I'd put so much on my eyelids and lips, it was clearly not to look ''beautiful'' for a date. ? I think that kind of make-up can really foster creativity within a kid, playing with color on your face, putting on a character. It's super fun.

I agree that ''sexualizing'' a date between a child and parent grosses me out to no end.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

never mind; I misinterpreted and was being redundant.....

Edited by catlady

15 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I say Med-e-evil e as in  see medyevil 

14 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

When I was a little kid spending time with Daddy meant doing fun kid things.  These dates with Daddy are just plain creepy.  And the only makeup I was allowed to wear at that age was toy makeup.

My daughter has toy make up and cheap real makeup she is four and uses it basically as facepaint. she has a great time 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

On 2/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, Jackie3 said:

Then they lay in the back of the car and talked (John asked questions and Allie answered in monosyllables). 

Going out to do something fun with daddy is one thing. But this? Um, NO.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic