IGNORED

Alyssa and John 7: Laura Ingalls, Something, Something...

samurai_sarah

Why does the IG photo of her in the black  nightgown, holding the bump and laying on the bed with her arm around a Moses basket filled with baby goods bug me so much? Get a hobby, read a book, take a class. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Why does the IG photo of her in the black  nightgown, holding the bump and laying on the bed with her arm around a Moses basket filled with baby goods bug me so much? Get a hobby, read a book, take a class. 

I know right

it seems a little promiscuous even for her 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I also didn't get their Halloween video. They trick or treat because they can "minister" to neighbors, not because it's fun? OK, sure, except:

--I didn't see a single neighbor in their video. It's a pandemic! People left bowls of candy out. The neighborhood seemed deserted.

--Even if someone opened the door, how do they "minister" to anyone in a 20 second interaction, while their kids are chattering away?

But ok, you're doing it because it's Biblical. Sure.

Never once have I seen parents dressing up with their kids in my neighborhood. The parents usually stand back and let the kids have the fun interacting with the neighbors. Alyssa seems to be (rather sadly, IMO) seeking that kind of attention for herself AND her kids.

This has nothing to do with helping their neighbors. It has plenty to do with Alyssa missing out on a lot of fun in her childhood, and trying to recapture it. Which is fine, but be honest about it. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 15
  • Love 3

I know fundies are against Halloween because it's a pagan holiday, but over the years it's evolved into just an American holiday with no religion background. 

Lots of churches have Halloween parties and they don't have do dress up as the devil, they can go as angels, cowboys or wise men

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I also didn't get their Halloween video. They trick or treat because they can "minister" to neighbors, not because it's fun? OK, sure, except:

--I didn't see a single neighbor in their video. It's a pandemic! People left bowls of candy out. The neighborhood seemed deserted.

--Even if someone opened the door, how do they "minister" to anyone in a 20 second interaction, while their kids are chattering away?

But ok, you're doing it because it's Biblical. Sure.

Never once have I seen parents dressing up with their kids in my neighborhood. The parents usually stand back and let the kids have the fun interacting with the neighbors. Alyssa seems to be (rather sadly, IMO) seeking that kind of attention for herself AND her kids.

This has nothing to do with helping their neighbors. It has plenty to do with Alyssa missing out on a lot of fun in her childhood, and trying to recapture it. Which is fine, but be honest about it. 

I think the whole family dressed up is very cute, considering that the kids are little. I have seen plenty of families dressed up in IG. It may not be the typical kids-only halloween tradition, but it's a nice thing to do anyway.

I agree that Alyssa celebrates Halloween because she likes it, full stop. Probably needs to say it's for ministry, as an alibi.

Frozen is not very religious. The power of the nature? An independent woman refusing to marry?  No very fundie. But at least it's 1000000 times better than last year outfit... That was uncomfortable to see. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think the whole family dressed up is very cute, considering that the kids are little. I have seen plenty of families dressed up in IG. It may not be the typical kids-only halloween tradition, but it's a nice thing to do anyway.

I've lived in the US all my life, and I've never seen mom, dad, and kids all dressed up and trick or treating. Sure, maybe it happens. But such a family has never come to my door. Where I've lived, it's all about the kids getting dressed up. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just find it different. And certainly no family has ever come to my door in order to "minister."

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I've lived in the US all my life, and I've never seen mom, dad, and kids all dressed up and trick or treating. Sure, maybe it happens. But such a family has never come to my door. Where I've lived, it's all about the kids getting dressed up. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just find it different. And certainly no family has ever come to my door in order to "minister."

Growing up in the Midwest, I never saw adults dressed up during trick or treating, but in our current neighborhood (about 1.5 hours from the Websters) it seems very popular for those with young kids. I would say if the kids were younger than about 7 or 8, the parents were mostly in costume to match the "theme" of the kid(s). With older kids, the parents either weren't dressed up at all, or just had a cute Halloween t-shirt or a witch's hat or something, not really a costume.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

In my neighborhood the majority of the parents are dressed up, either with a simple mask or a full-on matching family costume. Those are always my favorites, like a family this year that did Ghostbusters with the baby as the big puffy ghost. 

Honestly, I understand Alyssa living out what she missed in her childhood. I wish she'd just be honest and admit it though.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

They didn't say it was to minister to people. They specifically said they did it to check in with their neighbours and see if there was anything they could help them with and find out what was going on in their lives. I think that's what they were referring to when they said it was to be a good example. At no point did they mention it was for religious reasons. 

The parents dressing up with the girls is a little odd, but as this is a family activity and the girls appeared excited to go with both parents, I'm not bothered by it. Alyssa and John are terrible people with terrible beliefs, but they also missed out on normal childhoods, if dressing up as Disney characters once a year and spending quality time with their daughters is fun to them, what's the problem? 

Alyssa's lazy, crappy homeschooling and getting their daughters out sign waving for Dan Webster are way bigger issues. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

The parents dressing up with the girls is a little odd, but as this is a family activity and the girls appeared excited to go with both parents, I'm not bothered by it. Alyssa and John are terrible people with terrible beliefs, but they also missed out on normal childhoods, if dressing up as Disney characters once a year and spending quality time with their daughters is fun to them, what's the problem? 

Considering how subversive (by fundie lights) some of the recent Disney films are, I am not going to snark on fundies dressing up as Disney characters. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I’m not usually pro Jinger and Jeremy but their latest podcast addressed Halloween and they said basically that it’s fun and not evil as long as you’re focused on the normal aspects of it like dressing up and trick or treating. You know- like most everyone (we aren’t all satanic witches haha). Alyssa could just be honest as well. I get so annoyed by the holier than thou attitude fundies have about holidays. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

They didn't say it was to minister to people. They specifically said they did it to check in with their neighbours and see if there was anything they could help them with and find out what was going on in their lives.

Sorry, I thought they said "minister."

I took my kids trick or treating in the neighborhood, when they were small.  It was fun to chat with the neighbors a bit.  If my neighbors needed help, though, none of them would have been able to share their problems over the chattering of the kids, the distribution of the candy, and the rush of other families behind us. It would've been surprising if they chose that moment to ask for help. They were saying things like, "Oh, what a scary ghost!" and "Would you like a Snickers or an Almond Joy?"

I can't imagine an elderly couple saying, "Let's wait till the Websters come by on Halloween night and then we'll ask John if he could clean out our gutters this weekend."

Truth is, the Websters are uncomfortable with simply having fun with Halloween and enjoying a quick hello with their neighbors. There has to be a holier or more godly purpose involved. I'd be surprised if even one neighbor asked for their "help" on Halloween night.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Sorry, I thought they said "minister."

I took my kids trick or treating in the neighborhood, when they were small.  It was fun to chat with the neighbors a bit.  If my neighbors needed help, though, none of them would have been able to share their problems over the chattering of the kids, the distribution of the candy, and the rush of other families behind us. It would've been surprising if they chose that moment to ask for help. They were saying things like, "Oh, what a scary ghost!" and "Would you like a Snickers or an Almond Joy?"

I can't imagine an elderly couple saying, "Let's wait till the Websters come by on Halloween night and then we'll ask John if he could clean out our gutters this weekend."

Truth is, the Websters are uncomfortable with simply having fun with Halloween and enjoying a quick hello with their neighbors. There has to be a holier or more godly purpose involved. I'd be surprised if even one neighbor asked for their "help" on Halloween night.

Most people on Halloween are more focused on all the kids coming. What if John and Alyssa's "Help" notion is actually there way of saying they go preaching and sharing the gospel. If they wanted to christianly do Halloween why didn't they have the girls dress up as angels or biblical characters and go around and promote Christianity with their costumes instead of Frozen. Also I some what get irritated when parents dress up. It's one thing to take the clothes you have and try to turn them into something but to paint your face and buy a costume is just childish

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 2

14 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I agree that Alyssa celebrates Halloween because she likes it, full stop. Probably needs to say it's for ministry, as an alibi.

Frozen is not very religious. The power of the nature? An independent woman refusing to marry?  No very fundie. But at least it's 1000000 times better than last year outfit... That was uncomfortable to see. 

what was last years again? I can not remember it making me cringe....

• Upvote 3

Also, I love when parents dress up with their kids. Halloween is not massive in Australia so maybe we have not had a lot on society influence on the matter, So I don't think people judge either way. From what I see lots of celebrities dress up with their kids. I wait every year to see what NPH does with his husband and kids....

• Upvote 10

I’m so surprised to see all the hate on parental costumes! Seems like there’s a lot of variation, but I personally love doing family theme costumes.

I always loved dressing up as a kid and then going to Halloween costume parties as a child-free adult. I don’t see why I should stop now that I have children.

My kids love coordinating family costumes and they always dictate what we should be based on which costumes they choose for themselves. There are only so many years we can do it before they’ll be off with their friends and embarrassed by our presence. At which point I’ll still plan to dress up and attend or host an adult party! 

We don’t even have social media, and don’t go show off to neighbors, so it’s definitely not about that. I’ve just always loved all holidays and family traditions. And I used to think it was so fun when my friends’ parents dressed up when I was a kid. I was actually annoyed that my parents didn’t participate, like they were too cool for costumes.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

I am sure I'll dress up with my daughter and idgaf what anyone thinks. Halloween was my jam when I was younger and I'm excited to enjoy it again. Costumes are fun! May or may not have anything to do with wanting to be a professional costumer when I was a teen...

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1

Growing up in the Midwest, parents never dressed up with their kids (in fact, most of the time kids were out on their own once past a certain age - small town life!). But my cousin and his wife are still in the town we grew up in, and they do family costumes - but they do have a 3-year-old and 6-month-old.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I've seen a mixture. Parents wearing costumes some that went with their kids costumes, costumes that don't go with their kids or no costumes at all. I've sometimes dressed up in a costume to wear to work and hand out candy and other times wore a Halloween shirt and black leggings even though I have no kids. I love wearing costumes and Halloween. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Alyssa said it was inspired in British Royalty. I personally found the dresses very unfortunate.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4TPVUhlzmA/?igshid=1oidslvcy89mk

Oh yes. I was embarrassed. I must have blocked it. I do remember commenting that she was a moron who just wanted to dress up pretty on a day that wasn’t Sunday. I must admit I am glad she got into the spirit of things for the sake of her girls. I am pretty sure the girls had little say in their costume (just like last year) because Alyssa has to have matchy matchy. But at least it was costumes. Success will be when you can clearly or kinda see the girls picked their own interests or own theme costume. My daughter wanted to be a skeleton this year. So that’s what she was. I can’t imagine Alyssa letting her girls do that. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I am pretty sure the girls had little say in their costume (just like last year) because Alyssa has to have matchy matchy. But at least it was costumes. Success will be when you can clearly or kinda see the girls picked their own interests or own theme costume. My daughter wanted to be a skeleton this year. So that’s what she was. I can’t imagine Alyssa letting her girls do that

Probably Alyssa picked it herself, but I'm sure the girls were excited about Frozen. But, as you said, the problem is that they cannot be a skeleton, a football player or an astronaut. Their choices are narrow, and that's sad. But at least... they have more fun than Maxwells.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

But at least... they have more fun than Maxwells.

That is a terribly low bar, but I totally agree with you.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Alyssa said it was inspired in British Royalty.

Um, ok, sure......

I agree with @AussieKrissy that Alyssa really just wanted to dress up fancy.  No problem there, but I would never have guessed that photo was from Halloween.

everywhere I’ve lived, it’s been a mix on whether parents dress up with their kids.    There have been family themes, parents who throw something together with what they have on hand, parents of very young kids who are getting the kids into the spirit, parents who just plain like Halloween and want to dress up.  It all in good fun, so I say go for it.

I had a co-worker whose daughter was about 10 when she declared that she wanted her and her dad to be Belle and Beast.  She made this announcement around Christmas, so with all the lead time, they planned big.  They saved up and rented high-end costumes that probably rivaled actual Disney actors and took dozens of pictures.  Daughter and Dad looked great and had a wonderful time that year.

Edited by catlady
Big riffle
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic