IGNORED

The Staddons 2: Continuing into the Next Generation

Coconut Flan

Jessica and Daniel Wilkes live in an apartment- there was a photo of them outside their flat in the Shiloh photography blog when lots of fundies were doing the 100 mile challenge.

The Wilkes house looks  enormous and fit for a multi generational family, even so, that's a lot of Wilkes to squeeze in!

20201208_103127.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

The Wilkes family seems to be VERY well of when it comes to finances.

It does look that way. But, the Wilkes started building their farm from scratch. It took the family a few years before they were able to move in and start officially farming. They moved into their current house and started officially farming in June of 2010 and I believe they started building their house back in late 2005/early 2006. I'm not sure what Dad Wilkes did before then, but he does work as a real estate agent. If I remember correctly, the family built their farm like the Duggars did, which is have all the children help out, go with the cheapest plot of land and depend on friends and family to donate supplies. Also, the Pa Wilkes grandparents are from North Dakota where they were farmers. So, when it came down to starting the farm, he probably had some experience and knew where to start when it came down to acquiring livestock and adding a garden. 

10 hours ago, Sops2 said:

Jessica and Daniel Wilkes live in an apartment- there was a photo of them outside their flat in the Shiloh photography blog when lots of fundies were doing the 100 mile challenge.

The Wilkes house looks  enormous and fit for a multi generational family, even so, that's a lot of Wilkes to squeeze in!

20201208_103127.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if there are apartments for the couples to start. Josh and Lisa Wilkes moved out completely when they got married. They still work on the farm, but live very close by. Also, I get the feeling when Derrick and Jenny (Wilkes) Waller moved back they didn't move into an apartment there either. Both Wilkes and Neelys stated that Matthew and Amanda moved into an apartment, but they didn't say where, so they are probably living there along with Jessica and Daniel.

Plus, it wouldn't surprise me if the plan is for one of the couples to take over the farm complete. Shortly after Matthew and Amanda were married the Wilkes mentioned that they had started their own cattle operation on the farm. But, Jessica and Daniel weren't married yet. If the plan is for Matthew and Amanda or Jessica and Daniel to take over the farm completely, then in a way it does make sense that they would squat in an apartment on the farm rather than spend money on a house. That is just my take on the situation.

• Upvote 3

They are very diversified into a wide range of products  from meat, milk, eggs ,& honey to baked goods, lip salves and ointments. It says there are 18 people employed on the farm and I well believe it. The ladies must spend a lot of time baking goods for the farmers markets and drop offs . It needs a lot of manpower to work a farm like this- animals to look after and crops tended and picked by hand- it is not highly mechanised as far as I can see.

There's also a lot of people to fit round the table at mealtimes!

20201208_213142.jpg

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

I’m sorry but their constant signs from the lord regarding the minutiae of their relationship and this ridiculous wedding time being unknown makes them all sound completely broken from reality. Sorry if this offends anyone but it’s just beyond ridiculous to me. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 8

So Esther was told of Jonathan's interest  only after everyone had agreed on the price thought it was a good idea  and then the Lord laid Jonathan on her heart or something . 

• Upvote 6

Matthew and Maranatha Chapman did that. I believe she made her dress and then sat in it from sun up to sundown awaiting her groom. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

Matthew and Maranatha Chapman did that. I believe she made her dress and then sat in it from sun up to sundown awaiting her groom. 

Oh, for FFS.  At least  him ride in on a white horse, or elephant, or something.  Give the child guests a bit of a thrill.

The John & Esther (Jester?) website is rather jarring--  a very dry, legalistic description of their courting  bride price negotiations, but with whimsical illustrations, and photos of the couple looking goofily in love.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Although I'm glad for Esther's sake, she seems to like him and want to marry him.

The blowing of the trumpet to let Esther know the ceremony is commencing made giggle. I'm glad I don't them and won't be invited, because I hate all the waiting times at weddings anyway. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

The John & Esther (Jester?) website is rather jarring--  a very dry, legalistic description of their courting  bride price negotiations, but with whimsical illustrations, and photos of the couple looking goofily in love.

I can't help but think how in many strains of fundamentalism, there's an attitude that if you want something too much, it's something God doesn't want you to have (a la Maxwells). Maybe they are really into each other and felt they needed to provide an emotionally detached justification that they're SUPPOSED to marry- "See, we got signs!"

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Does anyone know how old they are? I know Esther is at least 30.... I’m only about 1 sentence into their “story” and can’t help but laugh at how these grown-ass adults have to consult the parents about all this. 

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, Marionette said:

Does anyone know how old they are? I know Esther is at least 30.... I’m only about 1 sentence into their “story” and can’t help but laugh at how these grown-ass adults have to consult the parents about all this. 

I think Esther is 34 and will be 35 at the wedding. I’m guessing Jonathan is somewhere in his 30s as well. Michael and Elizabeth Staddon were in their mid to late 30s when they wed. They don’t have any blessings yet. And I’m guessing Esther and Jonathan won’t have a huge brood either. It’s a good thing the Staddons and Frazers are marrying each other in their 30s.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

It's Katie and Alan all over again, though I sincerely hope neither of them is a predator.

Also...Esther was attracted to Jonathan because his sister has Down syndrome? Am I reading that right? Yuck. Way to not see her as a person.

Edited by albireo
capitalization
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, albireo said:

It's Katie and Alan all over again, though I sincerely hope neither of them is a predator.

Also...Esther was attracted to Jonathan because his sister has Down syndrome? Am I reading that right? Yuck. Way to not see her as a person.

I think it must’ve been worded wrong. Maybe I’m being overly generous but I was thinking it was more about how they treat any siblings with special needs. And not just about having a sibling with special needs. But the way they workers it made the whole thing sound strange and awkward. But hey, that’s the fundie way!

• Upvote 6

Going to try to see this circus when it livestreams next spring.  The Frazers are in a category of their own with their religious obsessions.  So many fundies react in horror to Catholic and other "smells and bells" Christians but eat up this ritualistic nonsense.

• Upvote 4

From their story (https://jonathanlovesesther.com/story/):

"At this point they broke the news to their siblings and asked them to pray that the Lord would reveal His will. Esther was surprised how supportive her siblings were with their votes of confidence that she would be a good wife and how the majority of advice was all the same: let Jonathan lead. "

No surprise since her siblings all happen to be male...

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 3
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

From their story (https://jonathanlovesesther.com/story/?

"At this point they broke the news to their siblings and asked them to pray that the Lord would reveal His will. Esther was surprised how supportive her siblings were with their votes of confidence that she would be a good wife and how the majority of advice was all the same: let Jonathan lead. "

No surprise since her siblings all happen to be male...

Imagine getting dating advice from a brother more than 10 years younger than you. A sibling that’s never had a relationship in his life. And you only had to listen to his useless advice because he was born with a penis. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 5
  • Love 1

My expectations are so low that I'm pleasantly surprised by this part of their story:

"Besides, Esther wasn’t sure she wanted to get married at all. Even though she wasn’t sure how her future would work out, she didn’t want security to be her motive for marriage and trusted the Lord would care for her some other way if it wasn’t through a husband."

I'm actually surprised this made it into their courtship story. I know Esther is in her 30s and has been working at IBLP but I'm glad she can say she didn't want to get married just for the sake of being married. She was waiting for the right Schrute to come along.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

I think they left out a good amount of the story.. The lead with a teaser that she wanted someone who was able to love and care for those with special needs.. and she apparently saw that in him.. due to having a sister with down syndrome... YET they omitted the entire courtship story of HOW and WHAT happened that she saw that led her to love this man..duh

just cause he has a sister with SN doesn't mean he isn't a douchecanoe...

• Upvote 7

On 12/28/2020 at 8:01 PM, DefraudedByPlaid said:

I can't help but think how in many strains of fundamentalism, there's an attitude that if you want something too much, it's something God doesn't want you to have (a la Maxwells). Maybe they are really into each other and felt they needed to provide an emotionally detached justification that they're SUPPOSED to marry- "See, we got signs!"

Very good insight! I think you're right. 

• Upvote 3

On 12/30/2020 at 12:23 PM, TheGleeTeam said:

My expectations are so low that I'm pleasantly surprised by this part of their story:

"Besides, Esther wasn’t sure she wanted to get married at all. Even though she wasn’t sure how her future would work out, she didn’t want security to be her motive for marriage and trusted the Lord would care for her some other way if it wasn’t through a husband."

I'm actually surprised this made it into their courtship story. I know Esther is in her 30s and has been working at IBLP but I'm glad she can say she didn't want to get married just for the sake of being married. She was waiting for the right Schrute to come along.

Interesting. I read that part and felt the opposite. It goes to show how cynical I’ve become! I hope she’s getting married because she found someone worth giving up being single for and not because she felt pressure to “give up” being single. 

• Upvote 3