IGNORED

Joy & Austin 31: Adding Evelyn Mae

Coconut Flan

22 minutes ago, lexiloumarie said:

Someone on here (or hulu) guessed many, many years ago that Joy would be the youngest girl married off of the older girls precisely because of what we've already said. She visibly struggled with "taking on her parents faith as her own" in her own words.

We saw the snarky teen saying she's not meant for pants and dresses. We saw her play with the boys and hang with Amy. I can't imagine the pressure Joe and the others put on her the caused her to be rushed into marriage before she was 20. 

Plus I think the whole Josh scandal played a role- all JB’s previous disgusting talk about ‘spit cups’, I’m sure he was eager to show Joy was undamaged by the scandal and not in a position to talk about it without her husband’s permission- hence a marriage to a hard line fundie was encouraged and the show could continue. We should never forget what truly shitty parents JB & M are. 

• Upvote 17

On 12/17/2020 at 4:29 PM, SweetLaurel said:

And if they were filming, which they probably were, like Anna said - paraphrasing - sometimes the outcasts get invited and sometimes they don't.  And Derrick said he and his family opted out of filming.  

I'm a behind and just tried to catch up on the last 5 or so pages. Apologies if this is lazy, but I am curious: what are you referring to? Did Anna say something explaining the differences between the Duggars' real family relationships and the televised version of those relationships?

Just curious! If so, I missed it and it sounds kind of interesting.

• Upvote 1

@NakedKnees I think this was referring to when Anna posted about a CO episode that featured her children and bemoaned that they rarely got included in the filming. She seems to have forgotten why TLC dropped 19 Kids and Counting.

• Upvote 11

3 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Plus I think the whole Josh scandal played a role- all JB’s previous disgusting talk about ‘spit cups’, I’m sure he was eager to show Joy was undamaged by the scandal and not in a position to talk about it without her husband’s permission- hence a marriage to a hard line fundie was encouraged and the show could continue. We should never forget what truly shitty parents JB & M are. 

I sometimes wonder who got screwed the most by JB and Michelle. My opinion varies and at the end of the day, they hurt all of their 19 kids tremendously. However, right now Joy is at the top of my list... the pressure she must have been under is hard to imagine. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I don’t really agree that Joy was married off young purposely by her parents. Joy has said that she had her sights set on Austin way before he was interested in her. Joy saw her older sisters happily married off running their own households and she wanted the same thing. Jana’s life at that point was a cautionary warning to Joy that she could possibly be stuck sistermomming for a long time if she passed up her chance with Austin. Questioning their faith just gives Duggar kids a more interesting testimony.

Joy and Austin seem like a good match. Joy has never really come across as eager to learn or very articulate. She seems like she’ll go along with whatever Austin believes regarding religion and politics. And Austin also lets Joy still enjoy her less feminine pursuits with him (hunting, ATVs, etc.) Joy seems very comfortable with the life she’s been given.

• Upvote 33
  • I Agree 6

I have always thought the first Josh scandal and how soon after it both Jinger and Joy were married off wasn't just a coincidence both Jinger and Joy also were more questioning of their faith and upbringing more than other older ones too, they are now both married to people who still fundie but also give them a bit of the freedom's they both wanted before marriage, Jinger gets to live her city life drinking her Starbucks everyday and Joy gets to do all the Tomboy stuff. 

• Upvote 20

17 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I don’t really agree that Joy was married off young purposely by her parents. Joy has said that she had her sights set on Austin way before he was interested in her. Joy saw her older sisters happily married off running their own households and she wanted the same thing. Jana’s life at that point was a cautionary warning to Joy that she could possibly be stuck sistermomming for a long time if she passed up her chance with Austin. Questioning their faith just gives Duggar kids a more interesting testimony.

Joy and Austin seem like a good match. Joy has never really come across as eager to learn or very articulate. She seems like she’ll go along with whatever Austin believes regarding religion and politics. And Austin also lets Joy still enjoy her less feminine pursuits with him (hunting, ATVs, etc.) Joy seems very comfortable with the life she’s been given.

So while yes I doubt there was overt "you're marrying this guy at this time for this reason" by JB, the stuff I bolded is still pressure. It's indirect but still very clear pressure to marry swiftly for both a bit of "freedom" (though it's really just from one frying pan to another) and so instead of raising a dozen kids who aren't yours you have one every couple of years that are yours and you have a pack of helpers. I'm not saying Joy does this or had this sort of clarity for it, but even if she doesn't realize it and it doesn't look like it it is still very much being married off, just under the illusion of 'choice'. 

• Upvote 9

I think Joy has had it the hardest of all the Duggar kids. This should make her more sympathetic to me, but she comes off proudly ignorant. 

As for her and Austin, I firmly believe that it was an arranged match.  My guess is JB and Pa Forsyth decided a long time ago that Austin should marry one of the girls and decided Joy was the one based on her age. Jinger was probably too interested in moving to a city and Jessa too headstrong. Plus Mr. Forsyth may have felt his son needed a younger woman.

She was probably encouraged to spend time with him over the years. Her parents would point out what a nice boy Austin is. 

Austin almost messed up the plan during his rebellious years, but then he got it together, re-devoted his life to Christ and they started courting. She was 17 and he was 21. They went public around her 19th birthday and she was 19 and a half when they got married. 

It may seem far-fetched, but the fact there is speculation for Hannie proves it's possible. 

These two are still dyed in the wool fundies. They seem to have all the worst fundies traits; close-minded, proudly ignorant, change resistant, recklessness, science-denying, etc.  

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 1

Screenshot_20210107-102641.thumb.png.dca13a7514fe5ecbd53a1084955572fa.png

Joy dyed her hair and got bangs.

I'm not a fan, I don't think they flatter her face at all.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

6 minutes ago, indianabones said:

She was saying it's her natural color, I think the bangs just make them look darker. 

Also, I always assume photo shoot equals eventual announcement. But it'd be too soon for joy wouldn't it? 

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, lexiloumarie said:

I think the bangs just make them look darker. 

She also said it was rainy- and her hair appears to be wet, especially the top of her head where her part is. That would make it seem darker as well.

• Upvote 7

The same photographer has done pictures for Jessa and likely Lauren. One of them might have an announcement, but it seems mostly that they're all getting their pictures done because this specific person is in town (they're not local).

• Upvote 11

They do look genuinely happy in that photo, something I don't always see in a lot of Duggar photos. Shame about the terrible beliefs, though.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 3

12 hours ago, indianabones said:

Jessa looked WAY better with bangs.
I've had bangs for about ten years and just recently decided to grow them out (which sucks a LOT). Bangs are a lot of work. I had to get the trimmed every three weeks and during lockdown and other restrictions this simply got impossible so I decided to go for another look.

• Upvote 2

I don't care about the bangs. Actually I think it's good Joy can play with her look. 

There are other pictures from the same photo shoot where Austin is holding her much more possessively as is typical with fundie couples. 

These two are still awful. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

The thing that gets me about this change is that Joy looks so much like Michelle here. I never realized how much she looks like Michelle until now. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

9 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I don't care about the bangs. Actually I think it's good Joy can play with her look. 

There are other pictures from the same photo shoot where Austin is holding her much more possessively as is typical with fundie couples. 

These two are still awful. 

Joy seems to really like those photos. Her user pic is of him holding her like that and kissing her neck too. And her creepy “he needs a companion” post from October is the same vibe. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1

Joy is doing an instagram stories Q&A right now and just shared that she and Austin both had covid earlier this year while she was still pregnant...

Edited by Nutella Ace
spelling
  • Upvote 16
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 4

On 1/8/2021 at 9:18 AM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

SO. MUCH. BEIGE.

The other shoots are like this too, blech!

It seems to be the style of the moment. Not just with fundies. Depression era colors and styles seem to be the thing. I was just at Target, lots of long sleeved, high necked loose dresses that looked straight out of The Waltons. Which I guess makes sense. I read an article years back about how fashion ( and hem length )  mimic the general mood of what’s going on in the world. 

• Upvote 4

I wonder if most of the Duggars had COVID and didn't tell anyone.  It would explain why they are so blase about social distancing.  They all think that they are immune. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5

You and your family. I notice she only answered for her direct family not the rest of the family (fair enough) but bummer if I and I suppose the original person who asked didnt want to know the answer for the other 19. 

8D32B920-EDB2-4AF7-96A2-C05D0821E9DF.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

42 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I want to know how close to the timing of the CarVan visit,

I thought that too...

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic