IGNORED

Joy & Austin 31: Adding Evelyn Mae

Coconut Flan

I’m not a fan of most of the third gen Duggar names, but I like Joy’s style. Very classic. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

That's my niece's first name!!! I'm not sure if I should be happy or angry. I do like her choice though. I don't think Evelyn is in the bible though? Google says it's a variation of the biblical name Eva, but as well as a form of Avelina. 

They don't "have" to pick biblical names, but I figured with Gideon they had a trend. Google says Annabel is Hebrew.

Edited by calliopecassandra
Clarity
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, calliopecassandra said:

That's my niece's first name!!! I'm not sure if I should be happy or angry. I do like her choice though. I don't think Evelyn is in the bible though? Google says it's a variation of the biblical name Eva, but as well as a form of Avelina. 

They don't "have" to pick biblical names, but I figured with Gideon they had a trend. Google says Annabel is Hebrew.

Annabel is from Amabel, which is from the Latin amabilis meaning loving (think amo, amas, amat). Obviously modern parents including Joy and Austin are thinking of it more aa a portmanteaux of the Hebrew Anna and the french Belle but that isn't the etymology. A couple of the -bell names are like this, eg Arabella which is from orabilis, ora meaning prayer.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 2

Evelyn is such a gorgeous name. I actually guessed it unofficially, wrote down on my laptop in my Duggar documents, but chose Adalyn, Emersyn and Emery as my official guesses, because Michelle has a lesbian sister called Evelyn, and I didn't think they'd want to name their child after her. So I went with something very close to it. Can't believe I was right, at least unofficially!

The middle name is, as everything the Duggars do, half assed. It's basically "oh yeah, I guess social convection dictates that she needs a middle name, so let's just add Mae, I don't even know". It's not even a name! It's a sound! (And a boring, I don't care about anything one at that) it's a filler middle name, that shows you've put zero effort into giving your child a middle name. There are thousand middle names that would have been better, and they chose... Mae. 

• Upvote 5
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 10
  • Confused 2
  • Bless Your Heart 3
  • WTF 3

2 hours ago, marmalade said:

That pic makes me wonder...whatever became of Brielle?

She was in one of their youtube videos recently, I think the one about gardening.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

2 minutes ago, baldricks_turnip said:

She was in one of their youtube videos recently, I think the one about gardening.

Oh good. I was worried that they'd dumped her. 

• Upvote 4

Argh. On the one hand, my daughter is Evelyn so I obvs think it's beautiful. But on the other hand, Duggars, so urgh!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I don't really understand why one would choose such a beautiful, classic name as Evelyn, but refer to their child als Evy (there is nothing wrong with Evy ofcourse!)

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Timetraveler said:

I don't really understand why one would choose such a beautiful, classic name as Evelyn, but refer to their child als Evy (there is nothing wrong with Evy ofcourse!)

My niece is Evelyn and I call her Evy just because it’s a nickname that has stuck and seems to fit her more. Plus it’s slightly easier to say , fewer syllables and all.

I like the name they chose, it’s better than many in the Bates/Duggar families. I agree that Mae is totally a filler middle name of this generation but it’s not awful. Just...filler.

She looks so much like her dad and I’m glad baby was born healthy and that she and Joy are ok. I bet she’ll have that huge cute smile like Gideon.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

The middle name is, as everything the Duggars do, half assed. It's basically "oh yeah, I guess social convection dictates that she needs a middle name, so let's just add Mae, I don't even know". It's not even a name! It's a sound! (And a boring, I don't care about anything one at that) it's a filler middle name, that shows you've put zero effort into giving your child a middle name. There are thousand middle names that would have been better, and they chose... Mae. 

Just because you haven’t heard a name before doesn’t mean it “isn’t real.” Mae has been around as a name in English speaking countries for a long time. I wouldn’t call it popular or common in the US south, but it falls in the same category as Jo, Lee, and other monosyllabic middle names for girls, so it isn’t and unusual or strange middle name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_(given_name)

• Upvote 34
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 4

33 minutes ago, mpheels said:

Just because you haven’t heard a name before doesn’t mean it “isn’t real.” Mae has been around as a name in English speaking countries for a long time. I wouldn’t call it popular or common in the US south, but it falls in the same category as Jo, Lee, and other monosyllabic middle names for girls, so it isn’t and unusual or strange middle name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_(given_name)

I suppose all names are "real", and that I meant "not real" in the sense that it seems like a bit of afterthought, as it is such a filler middle name, so not because they particularly absolutely loved that name, but because she had to have a middle name (evidenced by the number of people with the middle name Mae, compared to people with the first name Mae. Ergo, a filler). 

Mae might be a real name, but some names are just prettier than others. Mae looks very odd next to beautiful Evelyn, imo. 

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 4
  • Downvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1

On the flip side, my Grandma's middle name was May. Her father, grandfather, and son had -ay middle names, as did my cousin (her son's niece). I will admit I like it, even though it's spelled differently.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

If I were to have a 3rd daughter (unlikely) Evelyn would be at the top of my list. I love it. Funny enough, one of my daughters had twins in her class one year named Evelyn and Annabel.

I also like Mae. Makes me think of Mae Whitman. Both my daughters have middle names that a lot of people would probably consider "filler". They're incredibly common as middle names. But my older daughter shares a middle name with both her grandmothers, and we just genuinely felt a connection my younger daughter's middle name and knew it was going to be part of her name before we even figured out what her full name would be. So you never know. Overall I think Evelyn Mae is a winner and the baby is cute. I hope her parents strive to do better for her than their parents did for them.

Edited by VineHeart137
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

I think it's a pretty name. Mae might be a filler name - but sometimes that's all middle names are. 

But maybe it's also a bit of a derivative of Grandma Mary? 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

I am thrilled for Joy.  I cannot imagine the emotional trauma they went through loosing a baby so late in the pregnancy.  I  sure this arrow will always be cherished.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 3

I like both Evelyn and Mae. Even if Mae is a filler name, I don't hold that against them. I know plenty of people   who use middle names as filler names. Maybe Mae is a tribute to Mae West?  Maybe, maybe? ??

• Haha 17
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I’m not a fan of most of the third gen Duggar names, but I like Joy’s style. Very classic. 

I don't like the name Gideon, but Annabell and Evelyn are lovely and very classy. It surprises me, because I thought Joy would pick either religious names (like Hope) or cutessy names (like Kaci or Lexi).

54 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I think it's a pretty name. Mae might be a filler name - but sometimes that's all middle names are. 

I like some *filler* names as first names. Marie or Grace are simple and beautiful. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Before we talk too much about the name Mae, let's remember the greatest Mae of all... Mae West! Now she's a total badass who wouldn't put up with the fundie nonsense.

• Upvote 22
  • Love 2

The idea of any name being a filler name is bizarre to me. We spent so much time deciding our daughter’s name that I can’t imagine just picking a name to have one. 

3 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Before we talk too much about the name Mae, let's remember the greatest Mae of all... Mae West! Now she's a total badass who wouldn't put up with the fundie nonsense.

@Pecansforeveryone beat you to it. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

I love the name Evelyn. It was my first choice name for both my girls but my husband doesn't care for the name so we never used it. I do have a few friends with Evelyns though.  I don't mind the nickname Evy, but I prefer the spelling of Evie. Mae is a very popular middle name in my family, a few of my cousins' babies are now fourth generation _____ Mae. I had a great, great aunt named Mae and she was a favorite Aunt so a lot of my older family members chose to honor her. 

I like all Joy and Austin's name choices. Gideon was another name on my baby name list that my husband didn't care for and I have have 2 nieces names Annabelle (different sides of the family!) .

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I don’t actually believe in the notion of filler names as middle names. I hear this idea a lot when it comes to baby naming. That filler names are Lynn, Ann, Marie, Grace etc. But you don’t know why the person chose what you call a filler name. I considered May/Mae as a middle name because my husband and I had our first date in the month of May. Therefore it wouldn’t be a filler name because it has a lot of significance to us. Mae is also a derivative of Mary. Maybe Joy considered this and thought Evelyn Mae sounded better than Evelyn Mary. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

Someone had mentioned this earlier. My thought is wouldn’t they have used Mae for Annabelle as she died weeks after Grandma Mary? Personally, I think Joy is a better fit with Evelyn especially when you look at the meaning and what the Forsyths experienced prior to (and likely during) Joy’s last pregnancy.

• Upvote 2

Middle names in my family have more meaning than the first names, really.  Middle names are family names (everyone shares one with multiple relatives) and first names are just ones we happen to like.  It was always the first names Mr. Rex and I couldn't agree on ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic