IGNORED

Joy & Austin 31: Adding Evelyn Mae

Coconut Flan

Wow, pushing out an OP (face up) baby in just over an hour is actually super impressive! I’m glad she was able to have her VBAC, especially since there are likely many deliveries to come. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, marmalade said:

An IG post from earlier today confirms that they pronounce Evy "evv-ee."

Like Chevy or eve ee?

45 minutes ago, SingingCat said:

Chevy

I prefer the other way. But that’s why I could not use Evelyn. Because the way they are pronouncing it. Makes sense as it the first sound of the name. Where to me eve ee is like a nick name for eve. I do like the name Evelyn But not Chevy nickname but it is the correct nick name in my opinion. But I am sure it will most prob grow on me. Because Gideon is my pet fundie. That kid is so darn stinking cute I wanna smoosh him. Evy is his clone so I will be the same. 

• Upvote 1

We named our son the least international name ever. I won't reveal the last name, suffice to say that it is double, long and both names can be challenging even for a norwegian because they are fairly uncommon. I dread the day we go abroad and have to go through customs. 

His name is Sverre, which is a nordic king name. He was actually priestly taught, but ended up in conflict with the church establishment and revoked a lot of their privileges. How fitting for my participation here!

Pronounciation: https://forvo.com/word/sverre/ I pronounce it slightly different, with a sharper/harsher R-sound ("skarre-r"). 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

27 minutes ago, Thorns said:

We named our son the least international name ever. I won't reveal the last name, suffice to say that it is double, long and both names can be challenging even for a norwegian because they are fairly uncommon. I dread the day we go abroad and have to go through customs. 

His name is Sverre, which is a nordic king name. He was actually priestly taught, but ended up in conflict with the church establishment and revoked a lot of their privileges. How fitting for my participation here!

Pronounciation: https://forvo.com/word/sverre/ I pronounce it slightly different, with a sharper/harsher R-sound ("skarre-r"). 

oh god my accent butchers that. But it sounds like a rock star name, When said in not my accent. I tried it and got swear rah which I know is not right. I can’t get the v in properly. 
Edited to add. I would love if the pronunciation recordings broke it down into syllables it would be easier for my only used to English ears to hear and understand. 

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Upvote 3

I can't imagine putting on a full face of makeup once I knew I was 8 cm dilated. I can totally understand why Joy did it, given her Instagram/People Magazine shots, but yeesh. I'm surprised they added that part into the YouTube video. Yet another reason I'm happy not to have grown up (and still remain, like Joy is) in front of an audience!

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

5 minutes ago, indianabones said:

I can't imagine putting on a full face of makeup once I knew I was 8 cm dilated. I can totally understand why Joy did it, given her Instagram/People Magazine shots, but yeesh. I'm surprised they added that part into the YouTube video. Yet another reason I'm happy not to have grown up (and still remain, like Joy is) in front of an audience!

I was thinking the exact same thing. To be in a middle of labor and having to put on make up!

• Upvote 2

@Grace How would they start an induction?  I'm not super knowledgeable on the subject, but if you didn't start labor naturally would they insist on another csection?

18 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@Grace How would they start an induction?  I'm not super knowledgeable on the subject, but if you didn't start labor naturally would they insist on another csection?

Joy mentioned that she received a very low dose to begin with. Possibly because of the c-section scar?

35 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I’m an OB nurse at a hospital that will not give pitocin to VBACS. We use cervidil (ripens the cervix) and/or a foley bulb induction. But many facilities will do low dose pitocin.

Edited by mstee
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9

1 hour ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Some Drs won't induce a VBAC at all. Some will do Foley bulb. I figure some might even break waters if a mom seemed close to labor starting. One of the main hospitals here didn't even do VBACS at all until fairly recently. It was a hospital policy, not the Drs. 

1 hour ago, mstee said:

I’m an OB nurse at a hospital that will not give pitocin to VBACS. We use cervidil (ripens the cervix) and/or a foley bulb induction. But many facilities will do low dose pitocin.

I could see maybe a super low dose to see if it kicked off labor and then stopping but she said they did 2, 4 then 6 and I feel like I remember 6 being a pretty decently high dose ?‍♀️ I'm happy for her that she got her VBAC and everything worked out in the end but I think my Dr would be having heart palpitations about this ?

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I'm really surprised by Joys reaction to the epidural. For the lack of better words here, she seems a bit drugged out. Like they gave her something in the interim to help with the pain. Like to me she is acting like someone who has been given a strong pain medicine or morphine. Maybe others can chime in on their experiences here. Do pregnant women act like this with an epidural? I've had 3 epidurals, and not once did I act loopy or out of it. I was my normal self, just pain free. But I remember being up and alert the whole time.

No snark on her at all for reacting this way. Just curious if this is a normal reaction?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Did I hear correctly in that youtube video (screaming baby in my arms), but did Austin say something about how as dad he did about "3 seconds of work" to bring that baby into the world?

• Haha 19

10 hours ago, Bazinga said:

I'm really surprised by Joys reaction to the epidural. For the lack of better words here, she seems a bit drugged out. Like they gave her something in the interim to help with the pain. Like to me she is acting like someone who has been given a strong pain medicine or morphine. Maybe others can chime in on their experiences here. Do pregnant women act like this with an epidural? I've had 3 epidurals, and not once did I act loopy or out of it. I was my normal self, just pain free. But I remember being up and alert the whole time.

No snark on her at all for reacting this way. Just curious if this is a normal reaction?

I thought she seemed exhausted, from being up all night & in pain. I've had a Pit induction with back labor and it is beyond anything pain wise I've ever experienced. I didn't labor long with my 2nd child as I'd had a scheduled c/section and those contractions didn't touch the pain I had with the pitocin labor.   

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

12 hours ago, Grace said:

I could see maybe a super low dose to see if it kicked off labor and then stopping but she said they did 2, 4 then 6 and I feel like I remember 6 being a pretty decently high dose ?‍♀️ I'm happy for her that she got her VBAC and everything worked out in the end but I think my Dr would be having heart palpitations about this ?

Yeah, I agree that 6 is a bit much. We don’t go higher than 2-3 if the order is for low dose pitocin for cervical ripening.  

11 hours ago, Bazinga said:

We give IV fentanyl at my hospital to the moms for pain relief if they are 6ish cm or less. Sometimes moms are worried about being able to sit still long enough for an epidural with contractions and we will give fentanyl to help ease the pain prior. But like others have said, it could be that she is super exhausted. Pitocin inductions and inductions in general can be very tiring.

ETA: epidurals can also drop mom’s blood pressure. Joy may have been running low. That’ll make you feel crappy. 

Edited by mstee
  • Upvote 3

Honestly, I find it disgusting that some hospitals have a blanket ban on VBACs. Way to take away women's choices!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

I would worry if someone really wants a vbac and can't find a local hospital willing to do one that they might try for a home vbac.  Obviously a foolish and uneducated choice, but you'd think the medical professionals would rather be sure people are at the hospital being monitored by the experts than doing something much, much riskier (hey there, Jill).

• Upvote 12

17 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I thought she seemed exhausted, from being up all night & in pain. I've had a Pit induction with back labor and it is beyond anything pain wise I've ever experienced. I didn't labor long with my 2nd child as I'd had a scheduled c/section and those contractions didn't touch the pain I had with the pitocin labor.   

I had that too and it was horrible, so painful. Not the main reason, but one of the reasons Miniway is an only child and probably will continue to be so. 

• Upvote 2

Our preference is to wait for TOLACs (trial of labor after cesarean, only once it’s successful is it a VBAC) to spontaneously labor as it increases the chance of success but we will induce TOLACs if they have a medical reason to be induced (gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, history of stillbirth, etc). We do not use medications for cervical ripening like misoprostol/cytotec because they are associated with increased risk of uterine rupture in VBACs. I have been curious about cervidil before but as it is the same mechanism as misoprostil I don’t think I would use it. Although unlike misoprostol which is a pill cervidil is like a tampon so it can be removed if someone is contracting too frequently, so I can see why that might make people more comfortable to use it. It’s also much more expensive (hundreds of dollars vs less than a dollar for the misoprostol) so we do not use it routinely in our regular inductions either. For TOLACs we do use oxytocin/pitocin with or without a foley bulb and breaking waters (once they are around 4-6 cm or sooner if they’ve had vaginal deliveries as well as cesareans). 

Hospitals have TOLAC bans because they do not have staff readily available for emergency surgery if there is a uterine rupture. The local hospitals around here will refer patients to our hospital if they want a trial of labor. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

On 9/5/2020 at 6:58 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

I love Dolly Parton's "Jolene", but I also love love love Ray LaMontagne's 'Jolene"--a completely different song, not a cover. I often listen to it on repeat.:

Hide contents

Just chiming in to add: GREAT song! I love Ray La Montagne. 

Now heading over to Joy's youtube channel. I'm a sucker for birth stories. 

• Love 1

I had a scheduled c-section with my second due to Placenta Previa and my doctor and I had a discussion about the possibility of VBAC if I chose to have a third. I have since decided I'm good with 2 but if I chose to have a third she said that I can attempt a VBAC but they will only induce with a foley bulb (no augmentation of contractions) and only after my due date. Having both a vaginal and a planned CSection at this point, were I to get pregnant again, I would just schedule another C Section.  I don't believe I would be successful at a VBAC.

I feel for Joy having a posterior baby. My son was posterior. My doctor said she couldn't believe I pushed him out in 40 minutes. I told her the back labor was so bad I was getting him out as quickly as possible 

• Upvote 5

On 9/7/2020 at 12:41 PM, bal maiden said:

Honestly, I find it disgusting that some hospitals have a blanket ban on VBACs. Way to take away women's choices!

Well you have to look at it in the perspective of each individual hospital/area. My local hospital has not allowed a VBAC for many years, and even only recently are only allowing it on a case by case basis. Additionally they also won't deliver a baby earlier than 34 weeks (unless it is a TRUE emergent situation that can't wait for transfer). Our hospital is not a trauma center, doesn't have an ICU, and is just your run of the mill small town hospital. In fact, there's only one OB office that even has privileges at our hospital. 

I absolutely WOULD NOT want to be a birthing mother in a medical emergency at my local hospital. I actually opted for ab OB out of my area and delivered at a hospital 2 hours away. While that hospital was also smaller it was within 15 minutes of several major trauma centers and the children's hospital. Sadly not everyone has the luxury to be able to opt for that and in those cases they don't need doctors letting them take a chance on a situation they might not be equipped to handle. I've had several friends have successful VBAC's, and all of them live in large areas and delivered at major hospitals. I've actually not heard of anyone who was at a major hospital being denied a VBAC provided their doctor felt it was OK. 

That's basically like saying it's stupid that an Urgent Care won't do surgery. They don't take on cases they can't handle. ;)

Edited by LillyP
spelling
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

One of my friends was able to have a VBAC. She delivered her first child in China  & her second in the best hospital in our area. The hospital is huge, she said the only reason she even did the VBAC is because of the hospital she was in. 

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic