IGNORED

Joy & Austin 31: Adding Evelyn Mae

Coconut Flan

I believe middle names are essential, else how is the child to know when they are in serious trouble? ;)  

Me, my brother, and his son are all named after dead relatives. I've always known for whom I was named and in a way, that has kept them alive in family lore. My first name comes from a musician in the family and I love music, my middle name is honor of my dad's favorite aunt, and I aspire to favorite aunt status among my nephews and nieces. I think it's a nice tradition, while my nephew feels like he's always being compared to the relative he's named after and resents the tradition. But he's also the age where he resents most everything, so maybe he'll change his mind?

My niece's name was a gift to her great grandmother. My pregnant sister-in-law went to her grandmother with a list of six names and basically said "Happy birthday! I'm pregnant with a girl, pick from this list to name your next great-grandchild." She picked three names (hyphenated middle name) and my niece is awesome.

It's disappointing that Joy and Austin took their family to a gathering during a pandemic, but if anyone's in a position to make a good decision based on bad information, it's this generation of Duggars. Their sources of information are limited, and depending on where you get your news, coronavirus is a deadly virus that is highly contagious; or a sort of flu that's been over-hyped by the media to make the US president look bad. The latter is no reason to stay home, especially if everyone at the event is feeling fine*.

*depending on your news source, you may still think asymptomatic people can't spread COVID.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I was referring more to first names Though  . Ann’s youngest son Shirley Blythe series for instance. 

Completely off topic but I wanted to name my daughter Blythe, but my mother was such a bitch about it we changed it.  You would think I'd have learned after having the same thing happen with my son, she hated the name Henry.  I would be more upset except  23 & 20 years later I LOVE my kids names. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

On 10/10/2020 at 9:12 AM, just_ordinary said:

To be honest- I don’t get the naming after relatives to honour them. Especially if you don’t actually really love them name. 
If you want to honour someone why not find something about you to do so? Why does your child have to contribute to your wish? If you love them name anyway that’s fine but naming your child after someone will not mean the child will be interested in hearing about them (dead- and believe me this hurts if you experience that) or like them (alive). They should have the right to built their individual relationship to people no matter how we feel about them. And they should have the right to carry a name/s that is/are about them and not about someone else or to appease others. If there is outside pressure you better learn to stand up against it- your child deserves parents that have their best interests at heart and will shield them if necessary. 
Naming a child is one of the last big controversies (I feel apart from some mummy forums birth plans and feeding are more accepted in whatever form you choose) where everyone feels entitled and justified to express their personal preferences and dislikes. It can be very hurtful and unsettling. I can only recommend holding the chosen name back till after birth, even if I am definitely dying to know as early as possible. Most people won’t bitch about a name when a squishy newborn face is connected to it. At least not in front of the parents. Creating facts is a nice way to avoid some discussions.

and yet here you are expressing your personal preferences and dislikes!

My daughter's middle name is my grandmother's first name - it felt important to me. My grandmother is my only surviving grandparent and I love her very much. Plus she has 5 great grandsons but no great granddaughter until my daughter came along, so it felt really special to create that little connection between them. I will never regret doing it - it hasn't really occurred to me whether I like the name or not, because it is full of meaning for me. It's also neutral and well-known enough for my daughter to make it whatever she wants it to be, and furthermore the name of a badass historical woman so all in all a good package I think.

Incidentally my daughter's first name is one that was very common in the nineteenth century but not so much now - let's say it's Ada. There are quite a few Adas on both sides of my family tree. My mum and my dad (who are divorced) both said, 'oh you named her after Grandma/Auntie/Cousin Ada! How lovely!' and I'm like... hmm ok why not. I actually just chose it because we liked it, but people find meaning in it anyway.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

My son's middle name was my great-grandfather's firstname. My great-grandfather died well before I was born and I have no idea what he was like or if I had liked him. We just felt like we wanted to honour him (and we also like the name).

Similiar with my daughter. Her middle name is the female version of both my and my husband's grandfather's name. They both died when we were very young. Her middle name is also my middle name but in a different language (if the grandfathers were called George her middle name would be Georgina and mine would be Georgette).

As long as they don't ask us if they were named after someone we won't tell them. Why should we? And if they do we would tell them and that's it. There names are still about them and not about their deceased relatives.

• Upvote 5

I’m named after each of my parent’s favorite grandmas. I love it. I never met either of them but it feels like a special connection to them. I also gave my daughter a family name that my grandmother has wanted to use (before she had a stillbirth and the doctor warned her not to conceive again).  My grandma was delighted to announce that she’d help pick the name. Plus I always get to remember my connection to my grandma and her family with my daughter’s name. I’m quite fond of the tradition, but to each her own.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

On 10/11/2020 at 3:21 PM, tabitha2 said:

I don’t know. In the 18th and 19th centuries there was a strong tradition of naming son’s the mothers maiden name.This honored the mothers whole family Not just one person  and that’s Pretty cool. 

We nearly decided to do this, my maiden name is a nice first name as well (think along the lines of Lewis or Jackson) but there were too many other names we liked a little bit more.

• Upvote 3

My cousin has his mother’s maiden name as his middle name (although she didn’t actually change her surname). His younger brother has my (well, our) grandmother’s maiden name for his middle name. 

• Upvote 4

I have a friend from college who’s neighbor gave her son her maiden name as his first name.  The reason for this was, she only has sisters & among the 3 of them they made a pack that whom ever had a boy first would give their son their maiden name as a first name. It’s a name that although unusual could be used as a first name. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 4

I just thought of something re names. My maiden name, as I have mentioned, is a long, not easily recognizable mouthful. 2 years ago on a trip to Italy, we visited the small, mountain village where my grandfather emigrated from in the late 1800s. At the local, Catholic cemetery, every 10th person’s last name was my maiden name, so very common. My pgf’s mother’s maiden name was also very popular. The only people with that surname in my parent’s local, Catholic cemetery are my dad’s relatives.

• Upvote 4

My sister and I were each given one of our grandmother's middle names as out middle name. Neither are bad thankfully. My grandmother told me stories about her favorite uncle, Joshua, when I was little. I told her I was going to name my son Joshua. Although she died when I was twelve and my son wasn't born till I was 23, there was never a doubt that would be his name. Nice that my husband liked it too, so no problems there. When we were on our way to the hospital we realized we'd never talked about a girl's name at all. There was a hurricane moving on the east coast where we were and I cried that we'd have to name a girl Edna or Ethel. Whatever the hurricane was. So I tease him that those were almost his names.

• Upvote 5

My maternal grandmother’s middle name was Gay, that was NEVER going to work out as a middle name for me :pb_lol: I don’t know what my paternal grandmother’s middle name was, I never asked. I don’t know if she had one. She died in 2003 and the plaque (she was cremated) just mentions a first name and last name, whereas my grandfather (her husband) who died ten years later and is mentioned on the same plaque does have a middle name listed.

• Upvote 1

My brother has my father's first name but he's not a Jr. as his middle name is my mothers maiden name.  My Mom is the youngest of 5, 2 males and 3 female. My uncles only had female children. My aunts each had a boy and one of them had a girl as well. My parents had 3 kids, two girls and a boy. My brother was the last male grandchild born and since my uncles had no sons, my Mom wanted to carry on her family name in some way and so my brother now has a long complicated but meaningful middle name. 

Also my son's middle name is my father-in-laws middle name. I meant a lot to my husband to use it and we liked the name. Our daughter also has a family name as a middle because we just liked the name. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot_20201028-211604.thumb.png.85e36865589c2ffa32671ef1fc791faf.png

Jana, Joy, and Jessa had a lovely unmasked time at the nail salon. During a pandemic. With a newborn baby.

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 3
  • Angry 4
  • Sad 2
  • Rufus Bless 12
  • WTF 7
  • I Agree 2

I know I am not normal, but I can’t go into nail salons because I instantly get a migraine - in one particular mall I couldn’t even walk past the door of the salon - so the thought of a baby in all those fumes is making me twitchy. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 15

24 minutes ago, Mrs Ms said:

I know I am not normal, but I can’t go into nail salons because I instantly get a migraine - in one particular mall I couldn’t even walk past the door of the salon - so the thought of a baby in all those fumes is making me twitchy. 

Babies* looks like ivy is there. Funnily enough I just took my almost five today to get her nails painted as a reward for not biting them. Surprisingly not fumey. I must remember that one is a well ventilated one. Hopefully their one was too. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

23 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

And Arkansas is increasing greatly in cases, but don't worry God will protect them and their orange leader

I'm completely mind blown that these folks haven't had a single case, there are close to 50 people in the family, counting JB, M all their kids, their spouses & grandkids.  Aside from the Dillard's they are out and about without masks like nothing is going on. 

My extended family is the same, they think this is just a "liberal hoax" and will magically go away after the election.  I had 3 second cousins marry this summer and all 3 had weddings with over 200 guests.  Not a single family member got sick, I have 15 1st cousins, 31 2nd cousins,  more 3rd cousins than I can count, and 6 living aunts and uncles, on my mom's side of the family. And almost all of them attended all3  weddings.   

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm completely mind blown that these folks haven't had a single case, there are close to 50 people in the family, counting JB, M all their kids, their spouses & grandkids.  Aside from the Dillard's they are out and about without masks like nothing is going on. 

My extended family is the same, they think this is just a "liberal hoax" and will magically go away after the election.  I had 3 second cousins marry this summer and all 3 had weddings with over 200 guests.  Not a single family member got sick, I have 15 1st cousins, 31 2nd cousins,  more 3rd cousins than I can count, and 6 living aunts and uncles, on my mom's side of the family. And almost all of them attended all3  weddings.   

That’s crazy! The school I work at brought 500 kids in on a hybrid model October 12th and this week we’ve had two kids test positive and most of our school’s baseball team quarantined for exposure to an assistant coach that tested positive. We’re just waiting for teachers to get it at this point. I also think that some of the Duggars may have gotten it and just aren’t making it public because then it would make them look worse than they already do galavanting around maskless. 

Edited by JanasTattooParlor
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

They could have been fortunate and had mild cases and that, like Trump, reinforces their view that everyone is overreacting. Had Mary been alive I wonder if they would have shielded her.

• Upvote 16

1 hour ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I also think that some of the Duggars may have gotten it and just aren’t making it public because then it would make them look worse than they already do galavanting around maskless.

This is what I suspect of several of the fundie families we follow.  If they get it, they either don't report, or they figure out how to put some godly spin on it after they recover.  In any event, it's just a matter of time since they are out there mingling non-stop. 

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

This is what I suspect of several of the fundie families we follow.  If they get it, they either don't report, or they figure

The Bates had it. I think Erin was quite ill per her Instagram. Someone said the admission of family members having it was on the last show of the season or something like that.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

The Bates had it. I think Erin was quite ill per her Instagram. Someone said the admission of family members having it was on the last show of the season or something like that.

Carlin and Evan had it. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

lol Joy got Parler ? (It's social media for Trumpers and conspiracy theorists)

Screenshot_20201110-173116_Instagram.jpg

• Disgust 19
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 3

Yikes, this is not good. Joy and Austin are seem to be exactly like their parents. On top of that, they seem to take risks. And they get a lot of praise from the snarker communities, particularly Tumblr. 

These two are dangerous, because they're young and attractive and they seem to make fundimentalism look good. 

Free Gideon and Evelyn!

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic