IGNORED

Joy & Austin 31: Adding Evelyn Mae

Coconut Flan

Accidentally reposted what I posted earlier. Oops!

Edited by JanasTattooParlor

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I think some do a blessing (the LDS community does) but I don’t think baby christenings are the „norm“ as they are for European Christians. Their Christenings seem to be much later. What I would like to know- as we christened our children as babies they have communion of some sort when they are older and decide for themselves if they want to be members of the Church. The Christening is more a celebration of new life and the welcoming into the family of the congregation and often a big family occasion to welcome the new member into your family. It also kind of feeds the hope that your child is now also under God’s protection as it was formally introduced- hard to explain but it gives this sort of extra comfort to some. The godparents are there to help raising the child in a Christian way - whatever that means, it is mostly a formality today and in our Protestant churches you can have catholic or atheist witnesses instead. I guess Fundies don’t have that?

Well we’re catholic so we see a lot if babies baptized. I think Catholics, Lutheran, Methodist, a couple others do it. Baptist’s tend to think it’s horrific though and my hubby’s Baptist family refuses to participate 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I feel like I remember someone having a dedication for a newborn, but I think it’s a Bates who I’m thinking of and not a Duggar. I grew up Southern Baptist and we had baby dedications when a family had a newborn. It was just a small little ceremony at the beginning of church welcoming the baby into the church and the parents promising to raise their child in the church. The Duggars, like most Baptists, do believe in a believers baptism though. So you get to decide when you get baptized. However, as we’ve seen a lot over in JRod’s thread, kids get scared by their parents into thinking they’ll go to hell if they don’t get baptized so the kid says they want to get baptized at as young as 4 because they've been told hell is a scary place where they will be separated from their family and the kid doesn’t want to go to hell. That’s not common for all Baptists, I have friends that didn’t get baptized until college, but it seems to be a point of pride with fundies that their kid gets baptized young. 

There was indeed at least one publicized Duggar baby dedication. Jill and Derick had  5 week old Israel dedicated (at Cross Church?) on Mother's Day May 2015 before they left for Central America in June. It looks like a bunch of babies were dedicated at the same time.

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

Well we’re catholic so we see a lot if babies baptized. I think Catholics, Lutheran, Methodist, a couple others do it. Baptist’s tend to think it’s horrific though and my hubby’s Baptist family refuses to participate 

I'm Episcopalian and we do both infant Christening and child/adult Baptism. Even the name is kind of irrelevant in this case, and not consistently applied, but the only real difference is the language of whether the person is old enough responsible for their own decisions or whether a baby's parents/godparents take vows on behalf of the baby.

For both babies and adults you can then go on to be Confirmed once you're old enough to make a decision (usually 10ish or later) and have gone through confirmation classes. (For children who were christened as infants, this is kind of the part that's most equivalent to Baptist child baptism.) Unlike in the Catholic church, however, first communion isn't a separate ceremony. In my case I was Confirmed at 11 and started taking communion thereafter, but the only real requirement to take communion in an Episcopal church is that you be baptised in a Christian denomination (either infant, child, or adult baptism counts).

• Thank You 3

Yes, baby dedication ceremonies have never been part of the show. But we'll see if Joy and Austin record it for YouTube. Baptists, Mennonites, Nazarene, Alliance, Evangelical, Pentecostal, those denominations at least do baby dedication when the child is an infant(actually, in my church, some new Christian parents do child dedication for older children, which has been neat) and believer's baptism when one is old enough to choose for themselves. Not sure what non-denominational churches do; I guess it depends how "non-denominational" they are.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, metheglyn said:

There was indeed at least one publicized Duggar baby dedication. Jill and Derick had  5 week old Israel dedicated (at Cross Church?) on Mother's Day May 2015 before they left for Central America in June. It looks like a bunch of babies were dedicated at the same time.

I'm Episcopalian and we do both infant Christening and child/adult Baptism. Even the name is kind of irrelevant in this case, and not consistently applied, but the only real difference is the language of whether the person is old enough responsible for their own decisions or whether a baby's parents/godparents take vows on behalf of the baby.

For both babies and adults you can then go on to be Confirmed once you're old enough to make a decision (usually 10ish or later) and have gone through confirmation classes. (For children who were christened as infants, this is kind of the part that's most equivalent to Baptist child baptism.) Unlike in the Catholic church, however, first communion isn't a separate ceremony. In my case I was Confirmed at 11 and started taking communion thereafter, but the only real requirement to take communion in an Episcopal church is that you be baptised in a Christian denomination (either infant, child, or adult baptism counts).

Lordy hasn’t Jill’s style come a long way... 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Methodists do infant baptism, but also will baptize anyone of any age who has not previously been baptized. Communion is open to everyone who has been baptized, regardless of age, church membership, denomination, etc. Kids have their first communion when their parents think they’re ready. At age 10, I passed a note to my mom during church asking if I could take communion - she asked if I understood what it meant, then said ok when I wrote bread=body, grape juice=blood (UMC uses juice instead of wine, both because church doctrine discourages alcohol, and so communion is accessible to all). Teenagers can formally join the church through confirmation (and confirmation classes). Adults can join the UMC through classes and service comparable to confirmation (plus baptism, if not previously baptized in a different denomination).

• Upvote 2

They posted a vlog today of the immediate aftermath of the birth.  The first half of the vid were immediately after giving birth with everyone crying and very emotional, then the last half was just updates before going to sleep and a last update before going home.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Joy posted the other 1/2 of her birth story. All I can say is I'm not crying your crying, it was very sweet video. 

Joy's reaction took me right back to giving birth to my own "rainbow baby." I'm happy for them that everything went as well as it could have. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

Joy posted the other 1/2 of her birth story. All I can say is I'm not crying your crying, it was very sweet video. 

Super sweet. It showed a completely different side to Austin. He was so emotional, no doubt relieved that she was there and healthy.

The first pregnancy after a loss is especially hard and you find yourself doubting that you will ever get to bring a baby home again.
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

On 9/12/2020 at 6:44 AM, Daisy0322 said:

I was raised Catholic but being homeschooled and involved in homeschool groups many of my friends were protestant of some strain. The horror at baptizing babies that many of them exhibited always confused me to no end. Then again I was never particularly into my religion and went on to become an atheist at 15, so I never really understood why anyone could find someone elses religious tradition so odd or bad. 

• Upvote 5

I saw Joy and Austin’s dog in the latest episode on their front porch with his food dishes and only a towel to sleep on. ? They could at least get him a bed if they are going to make him live outside. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, mstee said:

I saw Joy and Austin’s dog in the latest episode on their front porch with his food dishes and only a towel to sleep on. ? They could at least get him a bed if they are going to make him live outside. 

Poor Brielle. ?

• I Agree 2

You saw the dog for a hot minute, how do you know she's outside all day and all night?  You're just assuming because, we always think (or want to think) the worst of Duggars. Perhaps she's got a dog house/kennel that we didn't see, or she's inside when they are inside and outside when they are outside?  You can't assume from seeing their porch for a second that she lives on a towel outside. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

I have spent a lot of money on various beds for my 15yo dog throughout her life and dammed if she doesn't lay on the hardwood floor just next to the expensive orthopedic bed I got her (and always has).  Jerk.

• Haha 22
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I have spent a lot of money on various beds for my 15yo dog throughout her life and dammed if she doesn't lay on the hardwood floor just next to the expensive orthopedic bed I got her (and always has).  Jerk.

Growing up we had an “outside dog “ but he also had the whole garage which had heat and a/c and if it was really cold or hot he cane inside. We bought him all sort of fancy shit but he liked this old cardboard box with a blanket in it. While I keep my dogs in the house and they sleep in my bed personally. My childhood dog was well taken care of- my Dad was just allergic to him suddenly after 5 years of having him. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

My dog has two comfy dog beds (one of them is memory foam!) and access to the couch and two human beds (he's just a little spoiled...) but he lays on the floor all. the. time. He's currently sprawled out with me on the kitchen floor.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

Growing up we had an “outside dog “ but he also had the whole garage which had heat and a/c and if it was really cold or hot he cane inside. We bought him all sort of fancy shit but he liked this old cardboard box with a blanket in it. While I keep my dogs in the house and they sleep in my bed personally. My childhood dog was well taken care of- my Dad was just allergic to him suddenly after 5 years of having him. 

Our dog preferred to be outside, the only time we let her stay outside was if the weather was agreeable. She had a dog house with a nice wool blanket and straw under it to make it soft and keep it warm. She loved to play in the snow and then go warm up in her mutt hut, as we called it. When it was bitter cold and deathly hot we made her stay inside and only let her out to do her business, she would try and hide and not want to come back in and then would sit at the door and whine to go out, but when it is -30 F it is too damn cold for your little 12 pound short haired ass to be outside. And when the heat index hits 110 your black shorthaired ass needs to be inside. She wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed as far as dogs go, but she managed to survive for 18 years, its only been about 2 months since she left and it has been very weird not stepping on her or listening to her whine about not getting to go outside because it is too hot. 

• Love 17

Joy just posted a new youtube video. The thumbnail was 'Heading home' and it was titled 'My heart is breaking'. My stomach sank because I know how many Christians use the euphemism 'heading home' for passing away. Logically, if something tragic had happened to the baby the last thing they would be doing is posting to youtube.

Of course, all is okay. It just documents how Evelyn had jaundice.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, baldricks_turnip said:

Joy just posted a new youtube video. The thumbnail was 'Heading home' and it was titled 'My heart is breaking'. My stomach sank because I know how many Christians use the euphemism 'heading home' for passing away. Logically, if something tragic had happened to the baby the last thing they would be doing is posting to youtube.

Of course, all is okay. It just documents how Evelyn had jaundice.

I had jaundice when I was born and my mom constantly mentions it when talking about me as a baby. Nevermind that i had to get suctioned out of her and had a cone head... she sometimes still cries when talking about me being a glow worm baby. Its a little bit funny and Im glad Joy's baby is healthy and home after Annabel

• Upvote 4

Many dogs live mostly outside all year round? Sheepdogs? Hunting dogs? Dogs in rural areas that are there to sign wild animals, intruders or just people showing up? Doesn’t mean a dog is neglected per se. Many are well loved, well trained and good taken care off. Many are welcome in the house but not all the time. “Working” dogs are a lot of work. It takes a lot of time and sometimes money to reach that skill set. But not everyone treats their dog as a pet or as a human family member. And that is absolutely fine as well. Doesn’t mean you treat them wrong. Having dogs in the house just as pets is more a city thing in my opinion. In rural areas they often live a mix and the real workers are more outside and treated like dogs (to protect their animatic traits if you exploit them for work).

The Duggar’s don’t have the bad rep with animals and Joy and Austin might be not ideal or even neglectful dog owners themselves but we have no indication either way.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

Well jeez I didn’t mean to stir up a debate about dogs living outdoors and working dogs etc etc ? My personal opinion is that a non-working dog is a companion animal and I like to see them treated well. I have low expectations for how the Duggars treat their animals so I assumed (yes from a 5 second clip) that seeing a dog on a porch with bowls and a towel is where the dog lives. And I think that stinks. I also assume that about Erin Bates’ dog from what I’ve seen. I hope she at least has access to somewhere warm when it gets chilly there. 

Edited by mstee
  • Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, mstee said:

Well jeez I didn’t mean to stir up a debate about dogs living outdoors and working dogs etc etc ? My personal opinion is that a non-working dog is a companion animal and I like to see them treated well. I have low expectations for how the Duggars treat their animals so I assumed (yes from a 5 second clip) that seeing a dog on a porch with bowls and a towel is where the dog lives. And I think that stinks. I also assume that about Erin Bates’ dog from what I’ve seen. I hope she at least has access to somewhere warm when it gets chilly there. 

You would assume terrible things about my dog. She has bowls outside and inside. She has 3 kennels, numerous towels and 2 beds outside plus 3 beds in various rooms inside. I can’t count the number of blankets and towels she has dragged through the house, alongside her ‘babies’ (usually a squeaky hedgehog, but she has a llama and a bear too). She gets to choose where she wants to be, so we give her lots of options to keep her comfortable wherever it is she chooses. Damn mutt still drinks the water out of flower pots and refuses to sleep on her soft, fluffy, furry pink dog bed at the end of our human bed. Usually we find her on the hardwood floors, upside down like a dead cockroach next to the fire.

A short video clip would have you calling the RPSCA, because it would only catch a tiny snippet of her comforts. Yes - it would show a towel and bowl on our porch.

She is the best rescue dog ever to grace this earth and we love her to pieces even if her farts and snoring mean our sleep is  more interrupted than when we had a newborn. We love her so much.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, adidas said:

You would assume terrible things about my dog. She has bowls outside and inside. She has 3 kennels, numerous towels and 2 beds outside plus 3 beds in various rooms inside. I can’t count the number of blankets and towels she has dragged through the house, alongside her ‘babies’ (usually a squeaky hedgehog, but she has a llama and a bear too). She gets to choose where she wants to be, so we give her lots of options to keep her comfortable wherever it is she chooses. Damn mutt still drinks the water out of flower pots and refuses to sleep on her soft, fluffy, furry pink dog bed at the end of our human bed. Usually we find her on the hardwood floors, upside down like a dead cockroach next to the fire.

A short video clip would have you calling the RPSCA, because it would only catch a tiny snippet of her comforts. Yes - it would show a towel and bowl on our porch.

She is the best rescue dog ever to grace this earth and we love her to pieces even if her farts and snoring mean our sleep is  more interrupted than when we had a newborn. We love her so much.

Obviously I don’t know you personally so I would give you the benefit of the doubt. I have seen how the Duggars have treated their animals in the past on their show and hold out little hope that they have the same situation as you do. It’s not an attack on everyone who’s dog sits on a porch with a towel but also has access to a warm cozy place- my comment was directed specially at Joy and I’d be glad to be wrong about it. We come here to chat and speculate so that’s what I was doing. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

Most Duggars approach having children like most people treat weekly grocery shopping. I seriously doubt they give animals much consideration at all. If Children are like a litter of puppies, what are puppies like?

• Upvote 9

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic