IGNORED

Joy & Austin 31: Adding Evelyn Mae

Coconut Flan

I saw the pictures of the baby on Joy’s instastory- I rarely find that young babies look like anyone but she is so like Austin- it really is quite astonishing in such a small child!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Idlewild said:

I saw the pictures of the baby on Joy’s instastory- I rarely find that young babies look like anyone but she is so like Austin- it really is quite astonishing in such a small child!

it amuses me so much to see Austin's whole face on that tiny baby

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, wendy-sparkles said:

it amuses me so much to see Austin's whole face on that tiny baby

The same with Gideon, the Forsyth genes are STRONG. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

55 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

So, there are FINALLY genes that counteract the strong Duggar genes! (Although I do see some mom and dad Keller in Anna's children.)

To me, Mackynzie and Noelle (Susanna’s daughter) look more like sisters than Mack and Meredith.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

58 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

So, there are FINALLY genes that counteract the strong Duggar genes! (Although I do see some mom and dad Keller in Anna's children.)

To me it's about half & half. More M kids resemble Anna's family than the Duggars. Henry looks like Ben. I see Cathy in Israel and I see  a lot of Jeremy in Felicity. Of course the Forsyth kids heavily favor Austin. Also, little Addy is all Kendra and Bella is a good mix of both. All my opinion of course.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

To me it's about half & half. More M kids resemble Anna's family than the Duggars. Henry looks like Ben. I see Cathy in Israel and I see  a lot of Jeremy in Felicity. Of course the Forsyth kids heavily favor Austin. Also, little Addy is all Kendra and Bella is a good mix of both. All my opinion of course.

That is actually one of the thing I find fascinating with the Duggar clan (and Bates clan as well). I KNOW it is horrible for them to keep having kids inside a cult, and I'm not happy these babies are born within families that will limit their future.

But the fact that now a lot of grandkids are being born into the Duggar clan, we have a LARGE pool of babies to observe genetic-wise. It is fascinating for me to see the wonders of how our facial features are passed down through genes. Just from a scientific standpoint really. Which kids has which persons' eyes, what facial feature comes out in which baby, etc.

So interesting. I'm a nerd. ?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 13

18 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

That is actually one of the thing I find fascinating with the Duggar clan (and Bates clan as well). I KNOW it is horrible for them to keep having kids inside a cult, and I'm not happy these babies are born within families that will limit their future.

But the fact that now a lot of grandkids are being born into the Duggar clan, we have a LARGE pool of babies to observe genetic-wise. It is fascinating for me to see the wonders of how our facial features are passed down through genes. Just from a scientific standpoint really. Which kids has which persons' eyes, what facial feature comes out in which baby, etc.

So interesting. I'm a nerd. ?

Me too! Seeing genetics at play was one of the reasons Sims 2 will always be my favourite.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

On 8/28/2020 at 1:40 PM, SorenaJ said:

Kay does sound a bit like a sound tbh, Ann doesn’t. 

It’s so strange seeing a middle name that looks like about 0.5 seconds of thought went into it. 

I’m a writer, I can spend days or weeks selecting the perfect name for my characters, looking at meaning, background, ancestry, personality etc, so honestly yes, a filler middle name like Mae does seem very “what the heck, why not?” 

Evelyn is gorgeous though. 

I'm a writer, I think you sound pretentious and should probably shove it. The only thing that makes Mae a filler name is that you've decided you don't like it.

Edited by OrchidBlossom
I didn't realize how far back I was when I added this comment. But it's still true so I stand by it.
  • Upvote 10
  • Haha 4
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I'm a writer, I think you sound pretentious and should probably shove it. The only thing that makes Mae a filler name is that you've decided you don't like it.

Your premise is wrong. I don't like the middle name Mazikeen either, doesn't mean it's a filler middle name. I like the middle name Rose, doesn't mean it's not a filler middle name. 

Shame SSA and ONS don't track middle names, I would be curious to see just how common Mae/Rae/Grace/Rose are as middle names. 

• Upvote 2
  • Move Along 8
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Your premise is wrong. I don't like the middle name Mazikeen either, doesn't mean it's a filler middle name. I like the middle name Rose, doesn't mean it's not a filler middle name. 

Shame SSA and ONS don't track middle names, I would be curious to see just how common Mae/Rae/Grace/Rose are as middle names. 

You realize saying things like "your premise is wrong" doesn't make you correct right? You sound like the worst kind of writer. Let me clarify my point: I don't care why you don't like the name, but you aren't the arbiter of what is a filler name or what is a meaningful name. You are pretentious and should shove it (that part of my premise shouldn't really require clarification but since you seem kind of obtuse I figured I would repeat it).

• Upvote 5
  • Move Along 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • WTF 2
  • Love 1

This is where FJ gets super annoying. Posters seem encouraged to pile on similar dissenting comments to an unpopular opinion, but the original poster gets the “Move Along” reaction for clarifying or defending her position. Stop commenting about an issue if you’re not willing to engage the other side.

• Upvote 10
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

This is where FJ gets super annoying. Posters seem encouraged to pile on similar dissenting comments to an unpopular opinion, but the original poster gets the “Move Along” reaction for clarifying or defending her position. Stop commenting about an issue if you’re not willing to engage the other side.

To be fair, I was clear in my original edit that I didn't realize how far back I was at the time but wasn't deleting because I stand by my statement/FJ doesn't like it when we delete anyway. But fair enough, I'm happy to drop it. I added that edit to indicate I was happy for us not to re-engage the subject.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I feel like this is one of the few instances where telling someone to shove it is fine at any point in time because it doesnt become defensible after a few weeks for that original poster to spout her pretentious name snobbery.

ANYWAY - I think Evelyn is starting to 'round out' a little more, the Austin features are softening a bit

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

Joy made the trash news 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8810911/Critics-call-Joy-Anna-Duggar-reckless-irresponsible-taking-newborn-church-amid-pandemic.html

Joy Anna Duggar, 22, is slammed as 'reckless' and 'irresponsible' for taking her SIX-WEEK-OLD daughter to church in Arkansas amid the state's soaring COVID-19 numbers

Joy and her husband Austin Forsyth, 26, took their two-year-old son Gideon and newborn daughter Evelyn Mae to church on Sunday

The group posed for pictures outside without masks; it's unclear whether they wore them indoors

COVID-19 cases are on at an all-time high in Arkansas, where they live 

In July, Joy had an indoor, mask-free baby shower with at least 20 other people

Evy Mae was born on August 21 in a hospital, a year after Joy Anna suffered a miscarriage at 20 weeks 

Counting On star Joy Anna Duggar is being slammed as 'reckless and stupid' for taking her six-week-old daughter to church in Arkansas, where COVID-19 cases are on the rise.

Joy, 22, and her husband Austin Forsyth, 26, just welcomed their daughter Evelyn Mae on August 21 — but while many parents try to limit their newborns' exposure to germs even in the best of times, Joy and Austin already took little Evy to church on Sunday in the midst of a pandemic.

Commenters were quick to slam the couple for 'taking their chances' with their baby's health, calling them out for being 'irresponsible,' 'risky,' and 'disgusting.'

Many people have taken to attending church online through virtual services, but Joy, Austin, Evy Mae, and two-year-old Gideon got dressed up to attend services in person this weekend.

Joy shared photos of the outing on Instagram, showing her holding Gideon by the hand and cradling Evy in a pink blanket.

'Church this morning!' she wrote with a heart emoji.

Most of the comments from fans were positive, but a few gentle criticisms popped up on her page from people who asked where their masks were. 

'We are still doing church livestream. Too many people who aren’t wearing masks,' wrote one.   

'I hope it's a small group and you all are wearing masks,' said another.

Over on Reddit, the criticism has been a bit more harsh, calling Joy and Austin 'incredibly irresponsible, 'risky and reckless,' and 'a Darwin award waiting to happen."

'One would think or hope she would want to protect her newborn in every way possible,' wrote one. 'I mean, c'mon, if a newborn catches covid that could be really, really tragic. I am appalled that they would do something so risky, it's disgusting.'

'I wouldn’t take a newborn that young around that many people in normal times - let alone in the middle of a pandemic,' said another.

'I don't get it. There's plenty of church being streamed online. They also have a large family cohort that they can hang out with, so there's little risk of being bored, lonely, isolated, etc. For me, the risk wouldn't be worth it,' said a third.

Arkansas, where the Forsyths live, had 488 confirmed new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday. Just three days before, on October 1, it recorded its third-highest number of cases in a single day: 1,125. Overall, September saw the most new cases for the state.

But the couple's lax attitude about virus precautions doesn't come as a surprise to followers.

In early July, Joy Anna celebrated her impending arrival with a large baby shower that was indoors and mask-free.

The party appears to have included a rather large group given that the country is in the middle of a pandemic, with everyone gathered together indoors without masks or social distancing.

In fact, at least 21 people were present, and masks weren't pictured in posed or candid shots. 

Photographed at the festivities is Joy Anna's mom Michelle, as well as her sisters Jana, Jessa, Johanna, Jennifer, Jordyn, and Josie.  Her big sister Jill was also notably in attendance, as were sisters-in-law Lauren and Anna. Anna bringing along daughters Meredith, Mackynzie, and baby Maryella, and Lauren toting her baby, Bella.

Also there was Joy Anna's longtime friend and fellow reality star Carlin Bates, who had her own first child earlier this year.

Joy Anna didn't respond to criticism over a lack of social distancing at the time, nor has she addressed concerns over her recent church outing.

Little Evelyn May only just came into the world on August 21.

'To say my heart is full is an understatement,' Joy wrote on Instagram after Evy's birth. 'We have been dreaming of this day and are so happy to announce that our baby girl arrived August 21st at 2:12pm weighing 8lbs 5oz and is 19.5” long!' 

'She has the best personality, is easy going, and loves to be held!' Joy Anna wrote.

'She has her nights and days mixed up, but honestly, I love it! Getting to spend that quiet, quality time with her through the night has been SO special!'

'I wanted her name to be perfect and elegant!' she added a few days later. 'We had a hard time deciding but after a few days finally settled on “Evy Mae” and we think it fits her perfectly!' 

The new baby's arrival comes almost 14 months after Joy miscarried at 20 weeks in July of 2019. 

'We only had her for 20 weeks, Life is fragile and precious,' the couple wrote on Instagram at the time. 'So thankful the Lord gave her to us for that short time! She will be in our hearts forever!'

'Although we don’t understand why, God has given us unexplainable peace and comfort during this very difficult time. Yes, it still hurts and we have cried countless tears, but we know that we can trust the Lord.

'We don’t grieve as those who have no hope because we trust that we will see this little one again,' they wrote. 'Please pray for continued healing, not only physically but for our hearts as well.' 

The young parents named the baby Annabelle, and went on to bury her at Austin's family's camp in Combs, Arkansas. 

Four months later, they conceived again, but waited until March to announce it to the public.   

While they appeared on the latest season of TLC's Counting On, the couple has documented most of their milestones this year on their own YouTube channel. 

In one of the videos from Evy Mae's birth, Joy Anna expresses relief over getting an epidural.

'I'm so happy I got the epidural... I don't see how people do this without epidurals.' she told her sister-in-law, who was there as a doula.

'You did it with the last one!' her sister-in-law replied.

'I know... stupid,' Joy Anna replied. 'I don't know how I did it with Gideon. It hurts so bad.'

It was bad enough that she joked to Austin, 'Babe, we're not having another kid.'  

After over an hour of pushing and with a final moan from Joy, the baby was born.

'The baby was posterior (sunny side up), so that explains why Joy had such terrible back labor and why she had to push so long!' reads the video caption. 'So thankful that Mom and Baby are doing good!!!'

While their 'birth plan didn't go as expected,' Joy said that she 'loved it.'

'I only have one regret... I was so stressed about going into the hospital and how the birth was going to go, that I lost site of the excitement of meeting our baby girl!' she said.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

On 9/27/2020 at 1:37 AM, SorenaJ said:

In my family the middle name is generally where you dump the name of some relative that you want to name the kid after but don't particularly care for their name. My husband's grandma was Rae (for whatever the version of Rachel was in her native language; she was a Holocaust survivor we wanted to honor), and my grandparent's generation had a lot of Marys (tons of them, still do), some of whom were known as Mae, because how many freakin' Marys can you have in one room, even a room full of Irish Catholics? "Patsymae," which I don't use IRL, was a nickname given to me by an aunt of that generation, and it wasn't a filler, it was based on my actual name.

• Upvote 6

To be honest- I don’t get the naming after relatives to honour them. Especially if you don’t actually really love them name. 
If you want to honour someone why not find something about you to do so? Why does your child have to contribute to your wish? If you love them name anyway that’s fine but naming your child after someone will not mean the child will be interested in hearing about them (dead- and believe me this hurts if you experience that) or like them (alive). They should have the right to built their individual relationship to people no matter how we feel about them. And they should have the right to carry a name/s that is/are about them and not about someone else or to appease others. If there is outside pressure you better learn to stand up against it- your child deserves parents that have their best interests at heart and will shield them if necessary. 
Naming a child is one of the last big controversies (I feel apart from some mummy forums birth plans and feeding are more accepted in whatever form you choose) where everyone feels entitled and justified to express their personal preferences and dislikes. It can be very hurtful and unsettling. I can only recommend holding the chosen name back till after birth, even if I am definitely dying to know as early as possible. Most people won’t bitch about a name when a squishy newborn face is connected to it. At least not in front of the parents. Creating facts is a nice way to avoid some discussions.

• Upvote 2
  • Move Along 1
  • Confused 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I don’t know. In the 18th and 19th centuries there was a strong tradition of naming son’s the mothers maiden name.This honored the mothers whole family Not just one person  and that’s Pretty cool. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

I don’t know. In the 18th and 19th centuries there was a strong tradition of naming son’s the mothers maiden name.This honored the mothers whole family Not just one person  and that’s Pretty cool. 

Great idea, but really only works with some names. My maiden name is long, ethnic and clunky. It’s a name that few can easily pronounce or would want as a middle name. It does not flow well with my husband’s equally ethnic last name. No bueno-

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

This is how my brother got his middle name! He has my grandmother's maiden name as his middle as a way to honor her family. It’s a cool, short German name whose meaning translates to something that is actually super fitting to my brother’s personality. If I ever have kids and have a girl, her middle will be my great grandmother’s maiden name because it’s such a pretty Anglo-Saxon name. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Great idea, but really only works with some names. My maiden name is long, ethnic and clunky. It’s a name that few can easily pronounce or would want as a middle name. It does not flow well with my husband’s equally ethnic last name. No bueno-

Yeah, my maiden name is similar to Spurgeon, and I wouldn't do that to a child middle name or not. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I was referring more to first names Though  . Ann’s youngest son Shirley Blythe series for instance. 

Which makes it even worse. My maiden name as a first name is far worse than Spurgeon. No one in their right mind would use this name as a first name,

• Haha 3

My last name has been in the top 500 boys names in the U.S. for the last 30 years, but I didn’t  think it flowed nicely with my husband’s last name. I definitely would have considered it. My cousin used it for one of his boy’s name (his mother’s maiden name.)

• Upvote 2

My FIL's middle name was his mom's maiden name. It's also my son's middle name, which we did to honor FIL, but we wouldn't have if we didn't also like the name.

• Upvote 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic