IGNORED

Joy & Austin 31: Adding Evelyn Mae

Coconut Flan

On 9/2/2020 at 12:14 PM, SassyPants said:

My daughter lives in So America and is married to a man from her new country. Obviously, they are a bilingual family. Their daughter has a very Anglo, albeit classical first name. In fact, it’s a variation of a name on your list. Any how, when my GD speaks in English, she pronounces her name one way, and when she speaks in Spanish, she says it a completely different way. When she was really tiny, listening to her switch languages and pronunciations just cracked me up.

Have you seen the video of the little boy who has a Welsh parent and a.... English? parent? and they each get him to say what sound a cow makes? It's different entirely depending on which parent just asked him. Kids are amazing little creatures. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

My firstname is part of many, many, many songs.

One of my co-workers always begins to sing one of these songs when I enter his room. I like my co-worker but I hate the song.

I made sure that my childrens' names aren't part of any known songs and also don't sound like they will be in the future.

• Upvote 2

Wolf Boy had the same name as a hurricane when he was small. He was at that stage where everything he touched broke, and he careened through the house like a crazy kid. We figured they named the hurricane after him.

• Haha 21

@SweetJuly Not on the level of generations of men, but: my brother is Christopher, as is my step-father, and an ex. I've always called my bro Christopher, so my SF got Chris. SF and ex had to battle it out for who went by surname - for me, it was clearly the ex, since 15 years plus knowing someone >> 3 months. Suffice to say, that the unreasonable amount he was pissed off by that is just one reason he quickly became an ex! (I mean, we were 20; had we stayed together, married etc, we'd've found a different solution... Also, I have a cool Polish surname, and his was a "Smith" type thing. My first name is Rachel - I like it, but Rachel "Smith"? I was at school with at least 3 girls who had that exact name - he was insistent about marriage, babies, his surname etc. After a few weeks. He also became a hard-core Catholic after we split, and moved to the US. Let's just say that when I check his FB, I pity his wife, but also feel I dodged a bullet!)

@Meggo I grew up in the UK. To me, a cockerel always says "cock-a-doodle-doo". My German partner is convinced they say "kick-er-ri-kee"also in Polish, yet I have never heard a cockerel sound like that. And no German dog says "Woof!", but "Wau wau" works.  Polish frogs say "kum", not "ribbit", but to me it sounds somewhere in between. Some languages get some better than others. Cows, however, I'd've bet would always make a "moo" sound, lol!

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wolf Boy had the same name as a hurricane when he was small. He was at that stage where everything he touched broke, and he careened through the house like a crazy kid. We figured they named the hurricane after him.

My son too! For awhile we would say things like “have you been following Thomas? The hurricane, not the person”

(not his real name)

1 hour ago, Zebedee said:

@SweetJuly Not on the level of generations of men, but: my brother is Christopher, as is my step-father, and an ex. I've always called my bro Christopher, so my SF got Chris. SF and ex had to battle it out for who went by surname - for me, it was clearly the ex, since 15 years plus knowing someone >> 3 months. Suffice to say, that the unreasonable amount he was pissed off by that is just one reason he quickly became an ex! (I mean, we were 20; had we stayed together, married etc, we'd've found a different solution... Also, I have a cool Polish surname, and his was a "Smith" type thing. My first name is Rachel - I like it, but Rachel "Smith"? I was at school with at least 3 girls who had that exact name - he was insistent about marriage, babies, his surname etc. After a few weeks. He also became a hard-core Catholic after we split, and moved to the US. Let's just say that when I check his FB, I pity his wife, but also feel I dodged a bullet!)

@Meggo I grew up in the UK. To me, a cockerel always says "cock-a-doodle-doo". My German partner is convinced they say "kick-er-ri-kee"also in Polish, yet I have never heard a cockerel sound like that. And no German dog says "Woof!", but "Wau wau" works.  Polish frogs say "kum", not "ribbit", but to me it sounds somewhere in between. Some languages get some better than others. Cows, however, I'd've bet would always make a "moo" sound, lol!

The kid in the video does still say moo- but they come out with SUCH an accent on one of the times he says it- it’s hysterical 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, nausicaa said:

My sister's name is Eileen...

Everyone in my family collectively loathes that song. I will straight up walk out of a wedding reception for a "fresh air" break if the DJ plays it. 

Come on, it’s not that bad ba ha ha ha 

I am not a fan of the youngest Bates daughters name because Khloe Eileen reminds me of the song. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

My older brother gleefully informed me that there was a song with my name about making love upon national monuments. Different spelling, but still...Do I win?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

My aunt's name is Jolene! Named before the song even existed (she used to hate it but now she embraces it). I can't even tell you my other aunt's name because then you would find my family for sure. My grandmother was a name hipster of the highest order. 5 kids, all J names, only one name that is totally traditional. 

And my name is...Alexa. It used to be unique and pretty, now it gets laughed at. But I still love it. 

My husband has such a classic (boring?) English based name for first middle last - he and all 3 of his siblings do. With his very traditional last name, I told him in no uncertain terms our kids will have first names more in line with my crazy relatives (on both sides!) and their "unique names before it was cool" :P 

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 4

10 hours ago, Meggo said:

Have you seen the video of the little boy who has a Welsh parent and a.... English? parent? and they each get him to say what sound a cow makes? It's different entirely depending on which parent just asked him. Kids are amazing little creatures. 

A Welsh and Northern Irish parent here:  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 11
  • Love 8

7 minutes ago, medimus said:

A Welsh and Northern Irish parent here:  

I could only hear the difference on his first run through. Very adorable. Thanks for posting it. I was going to go look it up. 

My first name is Layla, named after the song. The acoustic version came out the year I started high school and SO many guys used to sing “I’ve got you on your knees, Layla” at me, all thinking they were very original and funny. Then every guy I knew who learnt to play guitar played the song at me (with the correct lyrics though).

It took me years to like that song again. I don’t think it was until it was played at my fathers funeral that I reverted to seeing it as a beautiful song I was named for instead of something I was harassed  with and annoyed by.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 17

The year my mother and I got along the absolute worst of all my teenage years was the year a song that is her name was THE summer hit. It played bloody everywhere all day and nights I was also working in the local dance scene, so I got to hear it all night too. Even though we get along really, really  well these days, I still hate the song.

• Upvote 2

As someone who doesn't have an internet anonymous name, I'm the only one that comes up in the name search for my full name. I actually had to threaten Spokeo with a lawsuit to take down false information. They kept claiming I was arrested and had a record(I do not, never had problems with the cops) I had to ask a lawyer friend to draw up documents. It's the only thing that worked to have them take down my page, that I never even asked for. So I'm all about plain, traditional and anonymous names. I wouldn't mind being one of a million Katherine Smiths in the world. In today's technological world, I believe that makes life a little easier. 

This is just my point of view. I know most won't agree.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

I was named after my paternal Grandma and maternal Great Grandma. I've never really liked it and in my early teens decided to shorten it so I now go by a more popular nickname. I always hated the way the name was spelt because I seemed to be the only person with the name spelt this way and wanted a more popular name. Recently however I realised that an actress in Emmerdale (UK soap opera) has the same name and the same spelling as me. She plays one of my favorite characters now after a big storyline last year so it's helped me to come to terms with it more.

My family has a mix of using family names and not. My parents, aunts and uncles have middle names from parents and grandparents. Most of the names aren't to my taste so I probably won't carry on the trend because I don't really like old fashioned names (Arthur, Clarence, Mary, James, Henry, Alexandra, Edna, Albert etc), I prefer more modern ones.

I don't have kids yet but I use a lot of names to name my pets because I rescue and we have started having babies every couple of years (I try to choose females more likely to be pregnant because I love giving the unwanted expectant mums a safe place to give birth and raise their young). I have a baby book for it and watch SJ Strum on Youtube for name ideas.? For the recent litter I used name linked to the country of their heritage and mine for the girls because I knew i was keeping them. The boys just had random name because I find it hard to find boy names I actually like but I prefer more unique names for boys, This sounds weird I know but I promise I'm normal.?

I don't have kids but already have names picked for my first two daughters because everyone in my family seems to have a girl first (yes I know gender is determined by the sperm). Both the future MiniJills will have Greek first names which are less obviously Greek ( love Greek names as you can probably tell) and English middle names. I got too excited and have already used the names for pets though.? Future MiniJill#1's first name is increasing in popularity but it's a Goddess name that I've loved since I was 7; I've already used the middle name for a pet but I hope she will understand. Future MiniJill#2's name is far more unique but her middle name is Pippa so probably more common but I don't know anyone with the name. It will probably be more popular now though because of Pippa Middleton.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

As someone who doesn't have an internet anonymous name, I'm the only one that comes up in the name search for my full name. I actually had to threaten Spokeo with a lawsuit to take down false information. They kept claiming I was arrested and had a record(I do not, never had problems with the cops) I had to ask a lawyer friend to draw up documents. It's the only thing that worked to have them take down my page, that I never even asked for. So I'm all about plain, traditional and anonymous names. I wouldn't mind being one of a million Katherine Smiths in the world. In today's technological world, I believe that makes life a little easier. 

This is just my point of view. I know most won't agree.

I"m with you here, for the opposite reason. I always hated my full name, which isn't pretty, and is shared by about a zillion other people (including another woman who lived on my street and had a son in my son's class--luckily we became friends because we used to get each other's medical results and bills in the mail and went to the same allergist (I got her shots by mistake once and they knocked out all my allergies-although could have just as easily killed me), psych counseling center ("How come she doesn't know the name of her kid?") But even pre Internet I learned to like it because you can't tell anything about me--age, race, ethnicity, sex--and now mostly people who want to check up on me on the Internet can't. There's a lot of comfort in being relatively publicly anonymous.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I love name talk and it seems like I'm in good company here ?

I loved reading all the stories of peoples' own names and how they named their kids. Keep them coming!

My own naming story isn't very exciting. My mum liked the name and it suited my older brother's name so that's what I was called. She picked our names specifically because they don't have common nickname versions, so we would be called by our actual names. But of course we both ended up with shortened versions anyway: Think Lorenzo and Larena (obv not our actual names), always called Lorry and Larry. ?

I personally don't care for the name Evelyn. It sounds 80s/90s-ish to me instead of elegant and classic. (I think it has a different popularity status and history in my country, hence my differing view.) Mae is cute and, in my opinion, not TOO cute, so it can suit an adult as well.

As far as spelling goes, I think Evelyn May Forsyth would have been even nicer. But then maybe Evy May as a nickname doesn't work as well as Evy Mae does...

I find Evy* awfully close to Jessa's Ivy though, much like the Bateseseses' Addie-Ellie-Callie disaster with Alyssa's Allie on top.

*I'm assuming they're pronouncing it to rhyme with Chevy.

• Upvote 1

@SweetJuly I had to google them. But I don’t think it is that big of a problem. I mean yeah, they are a VERY old family (like titled probably in 1108, definitely though at least in 1209) with up to three lineages. That’s undoubtedly a lot of Heinrichs. Also the way of handing out the numbers are handled differently in every lineage. But there is only one lineage left today and people tend not to have that many children anymore. And there are only so much Heinrichs around to talk about at a time. Right now, there are probably just 3-5 Heinrichs. And it’s not as if you would bring up great grandparents regularly. I guess they use nicknames? Nicknames were a big thing through all of history. In this family we have “the younger”, “the Bohemian“, „der Erlauchte” (I am pretty convinced the enlightened isn’t the completely right translation but it’s the only I could find) and so on.

I guess it the same with friends that share a name. There is very seldom a confusion who you talk about. Or with relationship markers like Oma/Opa. In my experience tone and mimic definitely pinpoint to who his meant. It’s as if people have a special way of talking about everyone. If not that after the first sentence it’s mostly clear. 

But it must be horror for every genealogist. We historians are used to handling the same names for different people or different names for the same person but it’s still a ton of work. And we get it wrong from time to time. Even church registries cannot be trusted completely for the records of ordinary people. So I am always amazed by people being a hundred percent sure to trace their lineage back to the 13hundreds to Jakob the tailor. I would be very wary of every result like that if I hadn’t employed an expert, which is sadly pretty expensive. Just because names and dates seem to match doesn’t mean it is a match in reality. An expert would explain all the remaining question marks. At one point it’s just a case of probabilities. Honestly, it seems everyone using on of those websites is somehow related to someone important in a very close proximity. That’s just unreasonable.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 9/3/2020 at 9:37 PM, Meggo said:

Miniway is bilingual and he switches effortlessly between Swedish and English depending on which parent he’s talking to. 
We wanted a name for him that was pronounced the same in both languages and found one that works and that we (well mostly me and Miniway) love. 
I live reading the name drifts but I always really want to know everyones real names. :)

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I guess it the same with friends that share a name. There is very seldom a confusion who you talk about.

Did anyone watch ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”? There were two characters who were longtime friends both named Josh. The more dominant personality, who was Filipino I think, went by Josh. The other one was exclusively called White Josh. Anyway, great show!

• Upvote 3

On 9/4/2020 at 2:10 AM, neurogirl said:

My aunt's name is Jolene! Named before the song even existed (she used to hate it but now she embraces it).

I love Dolly Parton's "Jolene", but I also love love love Ray LaMontagne's 'Jolene"--a completely different song, not a cover. I often listen to it on repeat.:

Spoiler

• Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Joy’s birth vlog is up. Here’s the video description they wrote, which summarizes her labor:

Spoiler

40655758-BA1C-4408-A6DF-497E3214E562.thumb.jpeg.ab062289129a95847fd64ae5a9c160b1.jpeg

Joy also did end up getting the epidural after a while. She said she was glad she did and pretty much said she isn’t having another baby unless she gets it right away next time. She seemed like she was still uncomfortable after but when Austin asked her about the pain she said it wasn’t bad. I’m happy she got her successful vbac. 

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 22
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 1

She looked nearly delirious just after she got the epidural. I'm guessing they didn't sleep much if at all, all night long.  I'm laughing at the "I'm never doing this again" I pretty sure all of us who've labored have said that. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

Any one watch the YouTube of Evelyn’s birth? Or was it an IG story? Joy calls the baby “Evie Mae” and I swear to Bob it sounds like “Ellie Mae” and now I can’t get EM Clappett out of my mind. ? 

• Upvote 1

Every time we have another birth episode, I am reminded how very glad I am that there were no cameras around when my son was born. My husband wasn't hovering over me driving me crazy either. I checked into the hospital at 7:11 am and my son was born at 11:11 am.  I do realize I was extremely lucky. But still glad there were no cameras. Wish those girls could have been as lucky.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic