IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

11 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Why would she do that? Why would she post that? Just WHY? What do their families think? Does anyone let Aunt Jill babysit?

I think we know the answer to that, we've seen Izzy with Jessa several times but we've never seen Spurgeon with Jill.  We've never seen Gideon alone with Jill and Joy Joy is Jill's oldest.  

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, ati_escapee said:

? That has to be it, because.. yeah. It doesn't stink though, I'm pretty sure most parts of the landfill don't smell that bad. My husband would know better than I do, but he says it doesn't smell that bad.

As a parent, WHY??!!

As a human being, WHY??!!

2 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

My friend wrote his lines for a play we were in over and over again in there, and he said he’d never memorized lines that well in his life before! I used to just write letters to the teacher about how the assignment was stupid

Flashback to The Shining.  All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy

So Jill finally baked something that I'd imagine is pretty easy to photograph, but then drowns it in a gallon of glazing (see the second picture in her post). Is she trying to give OfJill diabetes? Or do cinnamon rolls in the US usually have THAT much glazing?

1 hour ago, DillyDally said:

So Jill finally baked something that I'd imagine is pretty easy to photograph, but then drowns it in a gallon of glazing (see the second picture in her post). Is she trying to give OfJill diabetes? Or do cinnamon rolls in the US usually have THAT much glazing?

1) holy glazing, that's diabetes in a casserole dish

2) that's also the worst study snack ever. Most college students won't eat that as a snack because it's just so smelly. Imagine getting all that frosted glaze on school work. Plus multiple handwashing. Most of the time chips were a bad idea because of the oil and the loud crunch.

Ok folks...excess sugar consumption DOES NOT cause diabetes. 

Type 1 - autoimmune - immune system attacks the beta cells in the pancreas. Previously known as "Juvenile Diabetes"

Type 2 - insulin insensitivity - body is not able to use the insulin from the pancreas efficiently

Type 3 (different subtypes) caused by injury to the pancreas/pancreas removal. Treated much the same as Type 1.

Holy shit that is a lot of icing/glazing. I like a lot of icing on my cinnamon rolls but that is too much for even me. I'd probably only put about 1/2 that much on them, a lot of that is going to go to waste, too much sugar will give Izzy and Sam a tummy ache or make them hyper AF and no one needs a sugar rushing toddler in a small apartment. 

FFS, the toddler on the chair not being watched very closely.  I want to ask her "why are you so dumb" but I'm guessing that would get me blocked and I already can't see Jessa's posts unless I log off of Insta. HA!

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

2) that's also the worst study snack ever. Most college students won't eat that as a snack because it's just so smelly. Imagine getting all that frosted glaze on school work. Plus multiple handwashing. Most of the time chips were a bad idea because of the oil and the loud crunch.

Am I the only one who didn't recognize this as cinnamon rolls? What I know as cinnamon rolls is raised dough sprinkled with cinnamon, rolled up, cut into rolls, laid out flat, (not a cookbook writer or even much of a cook so not sure if I'm describing this right), then after they are baked topped with a glaze and maybe some nuts.

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

Ok folks...excess sugar consumption DOES NOT cause diabetes. 

No, but being overweight makes you at risk for type 2 diabetes and sugary stuff contain a lot of calories, making you at risk for becoming overweight if you have excess sugar consumption. 

And my goodness, that is a a snack well ruined. Can't believe she butchered cinnamon rolls like that. I love cinnamon rolls (and icing), but I wouldn't eat that. Also, that is a useless study snack: 

- It's greasy and you well get that disgusting icing everywhere. A quarter of the amount of icing would have been more suitable. 

- You don't want your blood sugar levels going rollercoastering like that. You will crash and burn once that sugar high comes down. And while you're on the sugar high, your heart might beat faster, and your body will feel like it's vibrating, and you might get shaky, making it hard to concentrate. 

- You will feel hungry again soon after, having to interrupt your studying more frequently. 

I've definitely seen cinnamon buns with that much glazing sold in stores. I always scrape most of it off personally, but I've never been a big icing person. 

31 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

No, but being overweight makes you at risk for type 2 diabetes and sugary stuff contain a lot of calories, making you at risk for becoming overweight if you have excess sugar consumption. 

correlation =/= causation. 

Now, consuming sugar DOES NOT cause diabetes. Let's drop that notion right here and now. Insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes) is a metabolic issue NOT a sugar consumption issue. 

I'm so over people assuming sugar consumption causes diabetes. 

10 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

correlation =/= causation. 

Now, consuming sugar DOES NOT cause diabetes. Let's drop that notion right here and now. Insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes) is a metabolic issue NOT a sugar consumption issue. 

I'm so over people assuming sugar consumption causes diabetes. 

She's not saying that sugar causes diabetes. She's saying that excess sugar can lead to weight gain which is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes, so it's not totally inaccurate to suggest that excess sugar consumption can be a risk factor for developing diabetes. It can also be a risk factor for developing cancer or heart disease.

13 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

She's not saying that sugar causes diabetes. She's saying that excess sugar can lead to weight gain which is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes, so it's not totally inaccurate to suggest that excess sugar consumption can be a risk factor for developing diabetes. It can also be a risk factor for developing cancer or heart disease.

one last time - sugar consumption DOES NOT cause diabetes. As the wife of a Type 3c diabetic, you have no idea how much it pisses me off when people make that assumption. The usual response to my husband's disclosure of his diabetes: "who'd have thought, you're so thin". Enough people, enough. 

Now, stop trying to justify those statements. They are FALSE, especially read in context. 

27 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

one last time - sugar consumption DOES NOT cause diabetes. As the wife of a Type 3c diabetic, you have no idea how much it pisses me off when people make that assumption. The usual response to my husband's disclosure of his diabetes: "who'd have thought, you're so thin". Enough people, enough. 

Now, stop trying to justify those statements. They are FALSE, especially read in context. 

Okay, but... one last time. Sing is not saying that sugar consumption directly causes diabetes. 

I understand that there are a lot of misconceptions about diabetes out there, especially among the different types, and plenty of diabetics are thin. However, no one stated that they were exclusively referring to Type 3c diabetics. Excess sugar consumption is directly linked to weight gain, which is a risk factor for Type 2 diabetes since excess adipose tissue increases insulin resistance.

Copy and pasted from the American Diabetes Association website:

Spoiler

Is diabetes caused by eating sugar?

A diet high in calories from any source (including sugar) contributes to weight gain and weight gain increases your risk for type 2 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease. Type 2 diabetes is not caused by sugar, but by genetics and lifestyle factors. 

Do sugary drinks cause diabetes?

Research has also shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes. The American Diabetes Association recommends that people avoid drinking sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent type 2 diabetes. 

Sugary drinks also raise blood glucose (also called blood sugar) and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving. Just one 12-ounce can of regular soda has about 150 calories and 40 grams of carbohydrate. This is the same amount of carbohydrate in 10 teaspoons of sugar!

23 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Once again, we're not saying that sugar consumption causes diabetes. We're saying that excess sugar consumption can be a risk factor for developing type 2 diabetes, which is a fact. 

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Not usually that much glaze!  It is like she used an extra can or two of the stuff

Jesus H fucking Christ!

I think I MIGHT know a bit about diabetes, being married to a type 3(c) and being overweight myself. Given that I speak with my husband's endo on a fairly regular basis, keep track of my own blood glucose levels, and know what the difference is between the different types of diabetes...

In the case of the picture shown, somebody made a statement that the amount of sugar would CAUSE diabetes. I was not talking about "risk" for type 2 or any of that other stuff. SUGAR CONSUMPTION DOES NOT CAUSE DIABETES. If you have a functioning pancreas you can metabolize sugar just fine. Type 2 is INSULIN RESISTANCE and can usually be controlled by diet and oral meds. SUGAR DOES NOT CAUSE IT. If you do not have a functioning pancreas, you cannot metabolize sugar and will end up with diabetes. If you have insulin RESISTANCE, you have problems with metabolizing sugar because your LIVER is not using the insulin excreted by the pancreas to break down the sugars. 

Diabetics have to watch CARBOHYDRATES. Not just sugar. 

I've seen recent studies that suggest the opposite: insulin resistance causes the excess weight in some people in the first place. I have a pounding headache and am currently questioning my life choices so I'm not going to track them down but they exist, if anyone's interested in looking. 

19 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

In the case of the picture shown, somebody made a statement that the amount of sugar would CAUSE diabetes. I was not talking about "risk" for type 2 or any of that other stuff.

Great, then take it up with the person who said that, not the people who are saying that excess sugar consumption is a risk factor. We're agreeing with you.

47 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Great, then take it up with the person who said that, not the people who are saying that excess sugar consumption is a risk factor. We're agreeing with you.

No, you're still twisting it. Excess sugar consumption is a "risk factor" for obesity, however obesity is much more complicated than just saying "if you eat too much sugar, you'll gain weight and be diabetic". 

And as someone said above, later research is showing that the metabolic dysfunction is actually a CAUSE of obesity and type 2 diabetes. In other words, the metabolic dysfunction comes FIRST, not the overconsumption of sugar. I have a variation of that metabolic syndrome due to destroying my metabolism. The stress that caused the excess cortisol and adrenaline excretion came FIRST, THEN came the weight gain w/o problems with metabolizing glucose. It is possible that in the future I may have problems metabolizing sugar, however, I do not at this time. There are many with the same issue. 

So, I stick by my original statement that eating sugar (or carbohydrates) DOES NOT CAUSE diabetes. 

Oh Holy Hell, eating crap like that frosting roll especially with ALL all the other casserole type, simple carbohydrate laden foods that the Duggars have consumed and do consume from what they share, on the regular, will contribute to obesity and the incidence of type 2 diabetes, and certainly would NOT be encouraged by any medical provider who has one like of nutritional knowledge or common sense.

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

No, you're still twisting it. Excess sugar consumption is a "risk factor" for obesity, however obesity is much more complicated than just saying "if you eat too much sugar, you'll gain weight and be diabetic". 

And as someone said above, later research is showing that the metabolic dysfunction is actually a CAUSE of obesity and type 2 diabetes. In other words, the metabolic dysfunction comes FIRST, not the overconsumption of sugar. I have a variation of that metabolic syndrome due to destroying my metabolism. The stress that caused the excess cortisol and adrenaline excretion came FIRST, THEN came the weight gain w/o problems with metabolizing glucose. It is possible that in the future I may have problems metabolizing sugar, however, I do not at this time. There are many with the same issue. 

So, I stick by my original statement that eating sugar (or carbohydrates) DOES NOT CAUSE diabetes. 

You are the only one twisting anything here. Drop it. This is obviously a huge trigger for you, and I respect that, but that doesn’t give you leeway to pick fights with random people by putting words in their mouths. My great-grandmother died of type 2 diabetes, several of my dad’s uncles and cousins died of it, and my dad has it as well. I fucking know that eating sugar does not cause diabetes. Go find someone else to be your punching bag on this topic because I’m done with this bullshit, thanks.

I hate icing so I actually always request my cinnamon buns to have none which I have realized is a great way to have them baked fresh. It's also a great way to get McD's fries totally fresh - tell them you need them unsalted and they'll make up a new batch that you can then salt.

I had gestational diabetes with my kids, very severe the second time around and the OB on call when I went for one of my NSTs said to me "but you're not fat?" So even medical professionals don't understand how it works sometimes.

12 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think we know the answer to that, we've seen Izzy with Jessa several times but we've never seen Spurgeon with Jill.  We've never seen Gideon alone with Jill and Joy Joy is Jill's oldest.  

I’ve actually never put that together. It’s hilarious that her siblings don’t trust her with their children. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived