IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

I watched the 4 videos of the Dillards and the Nepali friends, and I can't help but think that Derick wants conversation about adult topics, and Jill isn't providing it.  Derick sounded like a normal grownup talking to his friend.  I laughed when his friend said that 19 kids is too much.

But, instead of watching the woman to learn how to make momos herself, Jill videos their visit.  It came across as strange. I don't go to my friend's houses and pull my phone out and then post on social media.  I don't understand why Jill videotapes everything.

I would have loved if she had (with permission from the woman) taped a how-to on making momos.  \

Apologies, but I'm still trying to wake up, if I don't make any sense.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We've moved on a bit from this discussion, but Jill's at at the TTH when JimBoob is NOT. Furthering my (probably wrong) assumption that she is persona non grata with JimBoob, likely because of Derick's actions. But the fact is that she's there, JB isn't, AND she's wearing jeans.... Trifecta. lol

IDK...WHO is supporting the Dillards? I tend to think it's Duggar money. Rent, food, utilities, insurance (health, home/renters auto), gas for the likely Duggar provided car, tuition, date night, who bankrolls a family of 4 when no one works? 

I think that Derick is on financial aid, and they also are living on the church property at a reduced rate.  They may also be living off of Jill's book royalties as well.  I do not think that JB is bankrolling them 100%, if at all. I think that is why Derick is in law school.  He knows that he has to support his kids and Jill, and may not have liked accounting.  My dad was similar in that respect, once he finished his MBA and worked in accounting.  He ended up working in retail.

1 minute ago, freealljs said:

I think that Derick is on financial aid, and they also are living on the church property at a reduced rate.  They may also be living off of Jill's book royalties as well.  I do not think that JB is bankrolling them 100%, if at all. I think that is why Derick is in law school.  He knows that he has to support his kids and Jill, and may not have liked accounting.  My dad was similar in that respect, once he finished his MBA and worked in accounting.  He ended up working in retail.

Would a buy used and save the difference believers who are anti-welfare etc accept financial aid? Probably, as they do seem to lean toward hypocrisy. Would they still have book royalties? If so, why did DD complain about Sam's medical bills and TLC not stepping up and covering those costs? 

6 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Here's my recipe: (copied from the BBC, not even going to pretend it's an old family secret.) 

Ingredients

500g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting

7g sachet fast-action dried yeast

300ml milk

40g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature

1 egg

vegetable oil, for greasing

For the filling

25g unsalted butter, melted

75g soft brown sugar

2 tsp ground cinnamon

100g dried cranberries

100g chopped dried apricot

For the glaze

50g caster sugar

For the lemon icing

zest 1 lemon

200g icing sugar

Put the flour and 1 tsp salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast. Meanwhile, warm the milk and butter in a pan until the butter melts and the mixture is lukewarm. Add the milk mixture and egg to the flour mixture and stir until the contents come together as a soft dough (add extra flour if you need to).

Tip the dough onto a well-floured surface. Knead for 5 mins, adding more flour if necessary, until the dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky.

Lightly oil a bowl with the vegetable oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn until covered in oil. Cover the bowl with cling film and set aside in a warm place for 1 hr or until doubled in size. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.

For the filling, knock the dough back to its original size and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll it into a 1cm-thick rectangle. Brush all over with the melted butter, then sprinkle over the sugar, cinnamon and fruit.

Roll up the dough into a tight cylinder, cut into 9 x 4cm slices and position on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a little space between. Cover with a tea towel and set aside to rise for 30 mins.

Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Bake the buns for 20-25 mins or until risen and golden brown. Meanwhile, melt the glaze sugar with 4 tbsp water until syrupy.

Remove from oven and glaze. Set aside to cool on a wire rack. Once cool, mix the zest and icing sugar with about 2 tbsp water to drizzle over the buns. Serve.

I was on board with this until I saw the cranberries and dried apricot. If somebody hid dried fruit in my cinnamon roll, I'd be pissed. PISSED, I tell ya!

?

34 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

IDK...WHO is supporting the Dillards? I tend to think it's Duggar money. Rent, food, utilities, insurance (health, home/renters auto), gas for the likely Duggar provided car, tuition, date night, who bankrolls a family of 4 when no one works? 

Is his mom giving them money? I don't know what her financials were like with his father, did he have a hefty life insurance policy that she split with the boys?  

Also I don't think Jill is persona non grata to JB but Derrick is. I can't see JB ever disowning one of his kids, unless they turned into ebil gays or libruls. JB disapproves of Derrick but also know that as her husband Jill must follow his lead, no matter how much he hates it.

11 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I once made cinnamon rolls with strips of bacon in them. They were delicious, and didn't need frosting. When I do have frosting on cinnamon rolls, I like it to be a cream cheese frosting, creamy and slightly tangy, but not overly sweet.

I prefer a cream cheese frosting,too.I like a whipped cream frosting on cakes because to me,the recipes calling for a pound of powdered sugar for frosting, that's too sweet for me.

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Is his mom giving them money? I don't know what her financials were like with his father, did he have a hefty life insurance policy that she split with the boys?  

Also I don't think Jill is persona non grata to JB but Derrick is. I can't see JB ever disowning one of his kids, unless they turned into ebil gays or libruls. JB disapproves of Derrick but also know that as her husband Jill must follow his lead, no matter how much he hates it.

I don't know how much Derrick is persona non grata. I think the family probably thinks everything he said on his Twitter rant was right, just that he should have been more careful who he said it to in order to keep the TLC money coming.

1 hour ago, freealljs said:

Though I feel like this wasn’t thought through. Law school grads I know racked up TONS of debt, and now there are more graduates than there are jobs. So he could end up with debt and no job. I know we’ve discussed this before though.

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

I was on board with this until I saw the cranberries and dried apricot. If somebody hid dried fruit in my cinnamon roll, I'd be pissed. PISSED, I tell ya!

?

I’m torn between “Nobody sneak fruits into my desserts!!” and “If cinnamon buns have cranberries and apricot in them then that counts as a serving of fruit, right?”

20 minutes ago, melon said:

I prefer a cream cheese frosting,too.I like a whipped cream frosting on cakes because to me,the recipes calling for a pound of powdered sugar for frosting, that's too sweet for me.

A pound of sugar? Sign me up!!

I, for sure, don't think Jill is persona non grata. I agree that JB wouldn't cut off a child just for anything especially not a favorite child. Now if Jill became an open and proud feminist tweeting "support for my LGBT brothers and sisters", yeah shit would hit the fan. 

11 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

A pound of sugar? Sign me up!!

As I sit here eating Smarties, (the American ones, pure little pills of sugar) I completely subscribe to this sentiment.

2 hours ago, freealljs said:

But, instead of watching the woman to learn how to make momos herself, Jill videos their visit.  It came across as strange. I don't go to my friend's houses and pull my phone out and then post on social media.  I don't understand why Jill videotapes everything.

I just think to Jill, videotaping is no big deal. Remember all of the years that she has led a very public life, started by her parents when they put her on TV, and so she probably thinks nothing of videotaping and posting.

3 hours ago, JillyO said:

?

Oh gosh, it makes me on board even more! 

7 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Pioneer Woman’s cinnamon rolls are excellent.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/cinammon_rolls_/

I've never liked the pioneer woman, but this recipe lost me at the photo. Bleh. Not for me. Why wouldn't she at least use a real pan and precise measurements? Baking is more like chemistry and requires precision. 

4 hours ago, JillyO said:

?

Sorry. I've never actually had them, but they get really good reviews from my mom. I don't like sweets in general, but I like making these because I can snack on the dried cranberries while I make them. 

4 hours ago, freealljs said:

Derick's dad was a police officer, right? It's possible he had a good pension/life insurance policy that Derick, his mom, and his brother are all entitled to. I wouldn't even say using money inherited from his dad for a law degree would be a poor way to spend that money, if and only if he uses this degree to get a job that will support his family, and not as a stepping stone for another half-assed gig,

15 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I’ve never liked the pioneer woman, but this recipe lost me at the photo. Bleh. Not for me. Why wouldn't she at least use a real pan and precise measurements? Baking is more like chemistry and requires precision. 

There are precise measurements in the recipe at the end of the post. The disposable pans are because she gives them as gifts. The rolls came out fine using a disposable pan when I made the recipe.

Cinnamon rolls never enter my life at the right moment. 

We have breakfast forums at a fancy club. I have “leftover privileges” My boss feels we should take advantage. Before 9 am I have the ability to reject the consumption of unneeded calories and things that are bad for me. I always say no.

I usually see Cinnabons at the airport. The practicality of a Cinnabon on airplane? Nope.

19 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There are precise measurements in the recipe at the end of the post. The disposable pans are because she gives them as gifts. The rolls came out fine using a disposable pan when I made the recipe.

They still look "off" to me. Just goopy and a weird color. I'm sure they taste fine for people who like maple and cinnamon together. But if you are going to photograph your food for a blog, (and make money on it) you should use a real pan. 

10 hours ago, Markie said:

My mom makes cinnamon buns in the shape of a Christmas tre. And puts on a few cherries for ornaments. The icing looks like snow. We have it for brunch on Christmas morning. 

Even though I have diabetes, I am going to make cinnamon rolls for our Christmas morning this year and I will thoroughly enjoy one and try to be good the rest of the day.  It's going to be my first Christmas without my son and I am feeling blue about that, plus it will also be just three of us, so I want to do something special.  I'm not sure I can shape them like Christmas trees though  :)

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Pioneer Woman’s cinnamon rolls are excellent.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/cinammon_rolls_/

So I'm reading this recipe and am confused.  She says to take half the dough (after it has risen), and shape into a rough rectangle.  The recipe goes on with the rolling out, pouring of butter, sugar, cinnamon, etc.  Did I miss where she says what to do with the other half of the dough.  Do you just repeat the process?  Also, I don't want to try to figure out how to make a single pan instead of the 7 or 8 pans she makes, so I'm going to keep looking at recipes.  Plus, I think I'll do a different frosting. 

Homemade cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning has been a tradition of mine for decades. I am a cinnamon roll purist, no nuts or dried fruit (although I do like to eat dried cranberries on their own). I slightly prefer cream cheese frosting but icing will do if it is buttery. It should be liberal but not as much as Jill used.

28 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Homemade cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning has been a tradition of mine for decades. I am a cinnamon roll purist, no nuts or dried fruit

May I please come over and share? This sounds delightful, and we have no Christmas morning traditions in our family. :) 

I'll be making my family's traditional Christmas stollen this year. The recipe makes 3, and I'm planning to give one to my dad. I haven't decided if I'll take mine to the in laws or just eat it early

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

They still look "off" to me. Just goopy and a weird color. I'm sure they taste fine for people who like maple and cinnamon together. But if you are going to photograph your food for a blog, (and make money on it) you should use a real pan. 

Her icing has coffee in it, that's why they look brown.  I've made this recipe a couple of times and left the coffee out and they were really good.  

13 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Her icing has coffee in it, that's why they look brown.  I've made this recipe a couple of times and left the coffee out and they were really good.  

I don't care for maple flavoring, it is too artificially sweet for me, and I HATE HATE HATE coffee, but I kept the recipe because I can follow the making of the rolls, and just buy cream cheese frosting and warm it up and pour it over the rolls.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived