IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, mpheels said:

There are several schools in the North Carolina public university system that are bachelors/masters only. 

I think just Elizabeth City State and UNC Pembroke, right? 

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, apandaaries said:

Berkeley is a UC -- University of California at Berkeley. It's not a CSU -- California State University -- despite the fact that it's often referred to as  "Cal." 

This... 

In California, the UC system is the 'top' public system and has 10 campuses (9 undergrad - Berkeley, LA, San Diego, Irvine, Riverside, Merced, Davis, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, and one that's only the med/grad program - San Francisco). 

Then the Cal State System is the next tier down, although these days a couple of the Cal States (Cal Poly SLO most notably) are harder to get into than some of the UCs.  There are 23 of these.   I just googled because I didn't know this off the top of my head but 3 of them (CSU Fullerton, Freso State, and SF State) are considered doctoral universities (meaning they grant more than 20 doctorates per year.  Looks like they are not phds but are DPTs, EdDs, and DNPs for the most part). 

(I've got one kid in her senior year of college planning to go to grad school.  Next kid is a high school junior and 3rd kid is a high school freshman.  Deep in the weeds of college search/planning.  When I'm not here I spend a lot of time on College Confidential... although that site is a little toxic with the # of people trying to get into Harvard and Stanford, LOL).   

On 12/5/2018 at 11:51 AM, singsingsing said:

I’m pretty sure they’ve said they plan to homeschool.

Confirmed. Derick tweeted this in September: 

"I have the blessing of having a wife who is willing to school them at home. Many homeschoolers not only have the same opportunities, but exceed their peers."

Source.

47 minutes ago, emmeline said:

Confirmed. Derick tweeted this in September: 

"I have the blessing of having a wife who is willing to school them at home. Many homeschoolers not only have the same opportunities, but exceed their peers."

Source.

Partially accurate however, I'll assume that those homeschoolers were schooled by someone who wasn't as undereducated as Jill.

11 hours ago, apandaaries said:

You are 100% wrong about the bolded. I was with a very academically competitive person, and the schools have very different reputations in certain circles.

Also, I never said any of them weren't public, state-funded universities. I may be speaking for more populated regions, but Penn, Michigan, NY, CA, CO, TX, and many other states have a tiered system.  Even Iowa has Iowa State v University of Iowa. I also don't know of many state schools able to offer such an array of post-graduate work as you've described, but I'm always welcome to learning more. 

You’re arguing for a universal dichotomy that simply doesn’t exist, based on a minor semantic distinction. The “University of” vs. “State university/college” is apparently true for California, but it absolutely does not apply to all states.

I’m most familiar with the University of North Carolina system - there are 17 schools and no formal “tiers.” There are informal tiers, but no way an outsider with no prior knowledge could differentiate them based on name alone. The two flagship schools are University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University. The two schools have different curricula, and very few areas where they directly compete with each other in terms of academic programs. They both nationally prominent and attract students from all over the world. Then there are several schools that are not nationally prominent, but are generally pretty good, with some exceptionally good graduate/professional programs - for example, East Carolina University doesn’t have a huge national profile, but it has one of the best medical schools for primary care doctors. These school draw students from all over the state, plus a few from out of state. There is a third tier of schools that are regionally focused within the state (Ex. Fayetteville State). These tend to focus on first generation college students or otherwise non-traditional students. 

To make all of that more complicated there are programs at “second tier” schools that are arguably better than the flagships, depending on career goals. I already mentioned ECU - the UNC-CH med school is better by most traditional measures, but ECU is much better for people who want to go into general medical practice in NC. UNC-CH is best for people who want to sub-specialize, leave NC, or do research/academic medicine. For law school, UNC-CH is again more prominent, but NC Central has the highest bar passing rate among law schools in the state, making it the better school for people who want a to practice law in NC, while UNC-CH is again better for people who want to leave the state or go into academia. 

21 minutes ago, mpheels said:

For law school, UNC-CH is again more prominent, but NC Central has the highest bar passing rate among law schools in the state, making it the better school for people who want a to practice law in NC, while UNC-CH is again better for people who want to leave the state or go into academia. 

I would say more that it depends on a few factors... Bar passage is one thing but most people who go to top ranked schools fully expect to pass the bar--it's more of an afterthought at the time of school selection. You have to pass the bar to practice law, and practicing law is the whole goal of going to law school, so passing the bar felt more like "Of course I have to do that" than something I based my law school choice on. Bar passage results of each school have less impact on the hiring choices of law firms  than the school's rank generally-- if they're looking at Candidate A from #25 Law School versus Candidate B from #100 Law School, it's not really going to matter that Candidate B's school has a higher bar passage rate.

15 hours ago, apandaaries said:

ETA: And the Ivy he graduated from has its own inferiority complex, selling items with labels like "Not Penn State," to differentiate itself as the University of Pennsylvania, not the state school. State schools can be awesome choices, but there's lots of competition, jealousy, and ambition involved in these educational circles, and a number of Universities of Various States look down up Various State Universities. 

Reveal hidden contents

(Personal example: I had a friend at University of Michigan who was aghast that I initially mistook it for Michigan State. LOTS of ego involved in these arenas.)

This is not an "inferiority complex" re: UPenn vs Penn State. Penn State is huge and a public school, and when you say UPenn to someone they often think it's Penn State because it's more widely known (sports, etc). It's more of a differentiation thing.

Now, having an inferiority complex with Princeton...definitely. ?

3 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Partially accurate however, I'll assume that those homeschoolers were schooled by someone who wasn't as undereducated as Jill.

Jill doesn't have enough education to teach the boys and any future kids well enough for them to get into university. There's no way. Unless Derick is going to take over for the high school years, we know that Jill didn't learn biology, physics, chemistry, calculus, English at a high school level, etc. So I'm not sure how that would be possible.

1 hour ago, Eponine said:

This is not an "inferiority complex" re: UPenn vs Penn State. Penn State is huge and a public school, and when you say UPenn to someone they often think it's Penn State because it's more widely known (sports, etc). It's more of a differentiation thing.

Now, having an inferiority complex with Princeton...definitely. ?

That may have been poorly worded -- an inferiority complex regarding Princeton and a desire to differentiate itself from Penn State, since U Penn is of a different caliber than Penn State.

3 hours ago, mpheels said:

You’re arguing for a universal dichotomy that simply doesn’t exist, based on a minor semantic distinction. The “University of” vs. “State university/college” is apparently true for California, but it absolutely does not apply to all states.

I’m most familiar with the University of North Carolina system - there are 17 schools and no formal “tiers.” There are informal tiers, but no way an outsider with no prior knowledge could differentiate them based on name alone. The two flagship schools are University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University. The two schools have different curricula, and very few areas where they directly compete with each other in terms of academic programs. They both nationally prominent and attract students from all over the world. Then there are several schools that are not nationally prominent, but are generally pretty good, with some exceptionally good graduate/professional programs - for example, East Carolina University doesn’t have a huge national profile, but it has one of the best medical schools for primary care doctors. These school draw students from all over the state, plus a few from out of state. There is a third tier of schools that are regionally focused within the state (Ex. Fayetteville State). These tend to focus on first generation college students or otherwise non-traditional students. 

To make all of that more complicated there are programs at “second tier” schools that are arguably better than the flagships, depending on career goals. I already mentioned ECU - the UNC-CH med school is better by most traditional measures, but ECU is much better for people who want to go into general medical practice in NC. UNC-CH is best for people who want to sub-specialize, leave NC, or do research/academic medicine. For law school, UNC-CH is again more prominent, but NC Central has the highest bar passing rate among law schools in the state, making it the better school for people who want a to practice law in NC, while UNC-CH is again better for people who want to leave the state or go into academia. 

Clearly it's a bit more complicated elsewhere than CA, but in your argument you yourself mention "second tier" and "third tier" schools.  The tiers definitely exist, and many states do fund differently based on University of v. State.  While state schools may have better pass rates for some fields, the prestige and status of the top tier schools remains. 

9 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wolf Boy graduated from Cal Poly SLO. I never could remember the full name.

California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo (and of course, we also have Cal Poly Pomona, just to have two Cal Polies, I suppose). Cal Poly SLO is a Cal State that is as competitive as a UC.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Jill doesn't have enough education to teach the boys and any future kids well enough for them to get into university. There's no way. Unless Derick is going to take over for the high school years, we know that Jill didn't learn biology, physics, chemistry, calculus, English at a high school level, etc. So I'm not sure how that would be possible.

Do the Duggars not get GEDs? Are they not high school equivalent?

15 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I can't say much about Nevada but Virginia has a shit ton of public colleges/universities. The College of William & Mary has graduate programs. Virginia Commonwealth, University of Virginia and Virginia Tech have grad programs. So do Christopher Newport, James Madison, Washington & Lee...etc etc etc. I went to 2 year school that was part of the Community College system and most, if not all the state 4+ year schools had 2+2 agreements with the CC system. My stepdaughter J's RN was through the community college system. She's, I believe, working on a BSN now, distance learning through VaTech. There's also quite a few HBCs there (historically black colleges). The largest is Hampton University (formerly Hampton Institute). 

The College Of William and Mary is technically a university, not a college, because they offer doctoral degrees. But it retains its historical name “The College Of William and Mary.” (I’m a WM alumni and Virginia native.) I love the VA public education system—it really is rich and robust  

The tiered learning system is real (and often related to federal funding and research) but not uniformly consistent throughout all 50 US states. “State” schools are still universities but in many places (Sout and Midwest?) they often  originated as more agricultural-based (but not always!). Of course that has changed over time and is not necessarily the focus of the university any longer. “State” schools are often the land-grant universities, too—but not always (in Arizona where I currently work, the University Of Arizona is the land grant, not Arizona State). Confusing!

16 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Do the Duggars not get GEDs? Are they not high school equivalent?

I'm pretty sure they don't. Some of the older ones may, I think Jana does. I'm not certain about Jill.  Joy and the twins received a diploma from Duggar Academy, which doesn't point to getting a GED.

17 minutes ago, crancraz said:

The College Of William and Mary is technically a university, not a college, because they offer doctoral degrees. But it retains its historical name “The College Of William and Mary.” (I’m a WM alumni and Virginia native.) I love the VA public education system—it really is rich and robust  

The tiered learning system is real (and often related to federal funding and research) but not uniformly consistent throughout all 50 US states. “State” schools are still universities but in many places (Sout and Midwest?) they often  originated as more agricultural-based (but not always!). Of course that has changed over time and is not necessarily the focus of the university any longer. “State” schools are often the land-grant universities, too—but not always (in Arizona where I currently work, the University Of Arizona is the land grant, not Arizona State). Confusing!

Then you know where I landed up..."Harvard by the Highway" in Hampton. I'm a Newport News girl married to a Hampton boy. 

I only have about half my high school credits. I do have a university degree and could easily teach my hypothetical kids high school level English, History, Social Sciences etc., but not advanced Science, and not Math beyond the most basic level. I’m kind of an extreme example, but I feel like it would be difficult for most people who haven’t been trained as teachers to really effectively give their own children a well-rounded education. I think the co-op setups where different parents teach different subjects according to their strengths and areas of expertise are much better than one parent trying to homeschool multiple children from kindergarten through grade 12. I’m sure it works just fine in some cases, and god knows I did not have the best experience in the public school system, but something tells me Jill’s education did not set her up for success in this realm.

12 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Then you know where I landed up..."Harvard by the Highway" in Hampton. I'm a Newport News girl married to a Hampton boy. 

Yay for VA! ? I love the Tidewater area. I’m always scheming how to get back to VA. Someday. 

3 minutes ago, crancraz said:

Yay for VA! ? I love the Tidewater area. I’m always scheming how to get back to VA. Someday. 

Newport News Shipbuilding is on a hiring spree again...

I don't think I want to go back...I love the desert 

19 hours ago, feministxtian said:

You are determining intellect based on a kind of biased neurotypical point of view. I disagree. I am happiest in familiar situations, home, work, church. Beyond that I'm screaming that I want to go home, especially when there are large crowds of people. Decision making? Considering I was a mess just trying to pick an apartment, I'd say my decision making skills are probably quite deficient. "partial information"...not me yo, I'll research the shit out of everything before I make a decision (another reason why decision making is HARD for me). I can't stand new situations, my anxiety goes through the roof, my hands shake, I can't cope with it. That doesn't change my innate intellect. You're talking more about emotional/psychological issues rather than innate intelligence. Judging intellect by your standards or by academic achievement is not an accurate way to judge. I've met MDs that didn't know jack shit about jack shit, The orangutang in the white house allegedly has an MBA from Wharton...he's seriously a fucking moron. I've known car mechanics that should have been physicists. I know of someone who has a master's in electrical engineering, a number of patents to his name but he plays in a fairly well known rock band...

By your standards, I'm just above a drooling epsilon minus semi-moron. 

I am currently reading a book abount introverts vs extroverts and they make the argument that being comfortable making a decision with less than full information is correlated with extroversion, and the need/requirement to do full analysis before deciding is correlated with introversion...

4 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I am currently reading a book abount introverts vs extroverts and they make the argument that being comfortable making a decision with less than full information is correlated with extroversion, and the need/requirement to do full analysis before deciding is correlated with introversion...

Do you have any idea how long it took me to decide on what jacket to buy??? Sat at home, 5 different store websites, comparing price, colors, sizes, store distance from home. 

We're hoping to buy a house if the settlement gods smile on me in January. I've looked at god knows how many floor plans, builders, prices, lot sizes, all that stuff. Plot commute times for me & hubby. Look at what else is nearby (stores, etc). Distance from doctors and dentists and church. 

There are times I will make a snap decision but that's usually only after having researched beforehand. 

And yes, I'm more of an introvert. 

14 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

That's funny, I'm pretty much a classic introvert and I make decisions all the time with less than full information. I'm quite decisive.

I have a Master's in Special Education, birth to 2nd grade. There's no way in hell I would be able to tutor or home school anyone in math or science beyond simple stuff like a gravity project( I have a whole lesson on that, it involves making parachutes, kids love it) anyway, I doubt any Duggar is capable of proper home school. Especially now with common core. I look at my best friends kids homework and it makes me want to cry. None of it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

That's funny, I'm pretty much a classic introvert and I make decisions all the time with less than full information. I'm quite decisive.

Interesting!  Do you ever regret fast decisions? 

I'm a classic introvert too, and I will often overanalyze to the nth degree.  (sometimes not even because there's a decision to be made, but just because I don't understand things until I see the full picture, and I like to understand things.)

But I can also recognize when the consequence of a decision doesn't merit overanalysis (ie what to order at a restaurant).  For big decisions I sometimes fear regret so do try to consider all aspects before deciding.  I'm pretty good at accepting what is, though, even if I do wish in hindsight that I had done something differently.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived