IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

VERY IMPORTANT CINNAMON ROLL OPINIONS: In addition to being strong anti-frosting, I like dried fruit in the filling, especially plumped raisins. I've never had cranberries or apricots in them but they sound ok too.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SassyPants said:

IDK...WHO is supporting the Dillards? I tend to think it's Duggar money. Rent, food, utilities, insurance (health, home/renters auto), gas for the likely Duggar provided car, tuition, date night, who bankrolls a family of 4 when no one works? 

I have wondered the same thing.  Their expenses are being subsidized by someone.  Even if Derick's father had a substantial life insurance policy - let's say $1 million, it doesn't last forever.  I don't remember how long ago his father passed away.  Am I correct that this occurred early in Derick's college years?  If so, that would be at least 5 or 6 years ago.    

https://law.uark.edu/future-students/costs-financial-aid.php   This page indicates that tuition and fees per semester are just over $8,000.   That does not include books and other supplies.  I think the average length of time to obtain a j.d. is 3 years, which would be six semesters x $8,000 = $48,000. 

Law schools don't take IOU's.  So either Derick is a big fat liar (when he assured JB he would remain debt free no matter what!) and is receiving student loans to cover his tuition, or he's being bankrolled by someone.  I cannot imagine residuals from the book Jill "co-authored" with her sisters can bring in much money.  Maybe Derick's mom is footing the bill and if so, she's even more foolish than I originally thought.  She'll bankrupt herself and in the end, I predict Derick will either drop out of law school in favor of the next pipe dream, or complete law school, pass the Bar, and then barely scrape by and be unable to pay her back.

43 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

VERY IMPORTANT CINNAMON ROLL OPINIONS: In addition to being strong anti-frosting, I like dried fruit in the filling, especially plumped raisins. I've never had cranberries or apricots in them but they sound ok too.

I am very anti plumped up raisins!  Here in Canada, we have the whole "should raisins go in butter tarts" controversy too.  I'm in the "non" category on that one as well.

I also have plates that I use ONLY for food photography.  My Value Village finds.  

19 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I've made pecan rolls (lots of cinnamon) that have driven men to fall desperately in love with me.

I don't make them anymore.  Too risky.

I'm single and looking....can I have the recipe?! ;)

2 hours ago, mollysmom said:

We can make these rolls together and then go out on the town with them and be each other’s wing woman.

Also I keep thinking Pecan rolls have David Waller’s face on them or something. Or maybe he has his own signature roll recipe. 

7 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I usually see Cinnabons at the airport. The practicality of a Cinnabon on airplane? Nope.

I've never had a Cinnabun or Cinnabon. Do they smell weird? I'd much rather smell cinnamon rolls on an airplane than McDonalds, which is in every airport and really shouldn't be. 

6 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Also I keep thinking Pecan rolls have David Waller’s face on them or something

:goldfish:I have never won a man's heart with David Wallers face!

3 hours ago, mollysmom said:

I’ll blog it this weekend but if you end up with an extra gentleman about my age who is cute and nice but wants nothing more than some harmless fun with no feels ... send him my way.

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

:goldfish:I have never won a man's heart with David Wallers face!

Maybe they were impressed with you being able to make a roll in the shape of someone’s face? Or Pecan roll’s are sort of like his horcrux, his soul resides in each one.

Or maybe you shove David down a hill and watch Pecan roll?

Where am I going with this?

28 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I've never had a Cinnabun or Cinnabon. Do they smell weird? I'd much rather smell cinnamon rolls on an airplane than McDonalds, which is in every airport and really shouldn't be. 

No. It’s your typical cinnamon goodness. Probably on some sort of flavor lab enhanced steroid boost.

You are right. There are many other things that don’t belong on a plane smell wise. (This goes right in with our office food smell conversations— And worse because proximity and less ventilation)

The typical Cinnabon is huge. And messy. It lends itself to gluttony. Not the sort of thing I’d consume on a plane next to a (possibly cute) stranger. Or while trying to read a real book or electronic device. 

9 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Maybe they were impressed with you being able to make a roll in the shape of someone’s face? Or Pecan roll’s are sort of like his horcrux, his soul resides in each one.

Idk but I love that I now will always think of them as my mom’s horcrux recipe!

8 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

No. It’s your typical cinnamon goodness. Probably on some sort of flavor lab enhanced steroid boost.

You are right. There are many other things that don’t belong on a plane smell wise. (This goes right in with our office food smell conversations— And worse because proximity and less ventilation)

The typical Cinnabon is huge. And messy. It lends itself to gluttony. Not the sort of thing I’d consume on a plane next to a (possibly cute) stranger. Or while trying to read a real book or electronic device. 

Exactly.  You eat them at home wearing comfy sweats and an oversized baseball jersey watching old episodes of Lidsville on YouTube while lying on your couch.  

Thats the only acceptable way to eat them.  That’s in the Bible.

edited to leave this here 

3 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Have you been sleeping okay?

:pb_lol:

Just now, AliceInFundyland said:

And the, um, aftereffects of McDonalds and other greasy type foods (lest anyone think I am mocking the president's favorite fast food, I am perfectly willing to eat there, on rare occasions). No one wants to be next to or behind a farting stranger. 

Just now, AliceInFundyland said:

Or while trying to read a real book or electronic device. 

Right? It's hard enough to try and read on a plane in economy class. You've got a tray table on your knees, your cinnamon roll taking up half the tray, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire propped up next to your coffee. One wrong move from the guy who's taking up half of your seat and Voldemort wins, as Harry is left in the lake when half the book drowns in coffee and the pages are all stuck together. 

6 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Have you been sleeping okay?

:pb_lol:

Uh...no? :pb_lol: Maybe I should work on that 

Edit: What do you call a swaddled Waller baby? A mini Pecan roll!

1 minute ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Uh...no? :pb_lol: Maybe I should work on that 

Aw. ❤️ When you start mixing up Harry Potter and the fundies just have to check.

...To be fair, I watched Harry Potter 6 while I fell asleep the other night. I’m positive it contributed to the fancy high cupola that was designed specifically for holding......a massive, organized collection of paper towels belonging to a fundie we talk about sometimes. 

52 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

McDonalds, which is in every airport and really shouldn't be. 

Nope. Not in Keflavik - there's not a single McDonalds in Iceland! Nor is there a Starbucks!

Also:  no McD's in SAN, STL, MDW, LAS, LHR.

49 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Exactly.  You eat them at home wearing comfy sweats and an oversized baseball jersey watching old episodes of Lidsville on YouTube while lying on your couch.  

Thats the only acceptable way to eat them.  That’s in the Bible.

Lidsville.  Sweet Jesus, I had completely forgotten.  Pufnstuf is burned into my brain but somehow this one was kicked out long ago.

Now that pot is fully legal in my state it may be time to revisit.  I'm thinking Gummy edibles?

1 minute ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Lidsville.  Sweet Jesus, I had completely forgotten.  Pufnstuf is burned into my brain but somehow this one was kicked out long ago.

Now that pot is fully legal in my state it may be time to revisit.  I'm thinking Gummy edibles?

My work here is done.

There isn’t a McDonald’s in the Portland airport either. It’s actually pretty nice for food and shopping. I think (and I am not going after the references here) they have awards for this sort of thing.

If I remember right there is also no McDonald’s at the Kansas City airport, which is sort of craptastic for dining experiences. 

I do believe @Maggie Mae was making a generalization about airport fast food. There are a lot of airports with shit options. I’ve internalized that as a vegetarian rushing around during layovers.

5 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

I have wondered the same thing.  Their expenses are being subsidized by someone.  Even if Derick's father had a substantial life insurance policy - let's say $1 million, it doesn't last forever.  I don't remember how long ago his father passed away.  Am I correct that this occurred early in Derick's college years?  If so, that would be at least 5 or 6 years ago.    

https://law.uark.edu/future-students/costs-financial-aid.php   This page indicates that tuition and fees per semester are just over $8,000.   That does not include books and other supplies.  I think the average length of time to obtain a j.d. is 3 years, which would be six semesters x $8,000 = $48,000. 

Law schools don't take IOU's.  So either Derick is a big fat liar (when he assured JB he would remain debt free no matter what!) and is receiving student loans to cover his tuition, or he's being bankrolled by someone.  I cannot imagine residuals from the book Jill "co-authored" with her sisters can bring in much money.  Maybe Derick's mom is footing the bill and if so, she's even more foolish than I originally thought.  She'll bankrupt herself and in the end, I predict Derick will either drop out of law school in favor of the next pipe dream, or complete law school, pass the Bar, and then barely scrape by and be unable to pay her back.

I feel like he thinks he might be able to get in as a lawyer for IBLP or someone who 'fights for Christians.' 

19 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

There isn’t a McDonald’s in the Portland airport either. It’s actually pretty nice for food and shopping. I think (and I am not going after the references here) they have awards for this sort of thing.

No McDonald's, but it does have a rotating selection of food carts!!!

I can confirm that the small airport in Long Beach, CA does not have a MacDonalds, but does have several quite decent food choices.

1 minute ago, Audrey2 said:

No McDonald's, but it does have a rotating selection of food carts!!!

And Flying Elephants. I almost always go there for some tomato orange soup and a bagel. This is like the best tomato soup in the city. It can be had at the other locations but it’s a reliable choice there.

2 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

And Flying Elephants. I almost always go there for some tomato orange soup and a bagel. This is like the best tomato soup in the city. It can be had at the other locations but it’s a reliable choice there.

I also like that, for an airport, food doesn't seem to be as expensive at PDX as it is at several other airports.

1 minute ago, Audrey2 said:

I also like that, for an airport, food doesn't seem to be as expensive at PDX as it is at several other airports.

They have put work into it. Customer surveys and stuff. Deliberate choice of vendors. It’s one of the best ones I’ve been in. We of course don’t have sales tax, so there is that, too.

But when you opt to not include fast food you need other options. I agree that they are reasonably priced.

1 hour ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Aw. ❤️ When you start mixing up Harry Potter and the fundies just have to check.

...To be fair, I watched Harry Potter 6 while I fell asleep the other night. I’m positive it contributed to the fancy high cupola that was designed specifically for holding......a massive, organized collection of paper towels belonging to a fundie we talk about sometimes. 

❤️❤️ Thanks for the concern. I think my brain just goes to Harry Potter and cats when on the fritz. Like the time I likely got concussed and saw a flash of light I was positive I was Avada kedavra’d and was so confused that the light was white and not green.

I’m blanking on which fundie you’re talking about. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived