IGNORED

Dillards 70: Their Behavior Is Always Pretty Weird

HerNameIsBuffy

I love the classic McDonalds Cheeseburger so much. Like an abnormal amount of love for that cheeseburger. Keep the fries, the soda, the milkshakes. But I could eat those cheeseburger like they are going out of business. 

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes!  I love McD’s cheeseburgers way more than I should.  They took the two cheeseburger meal off the menu a while back...  I had no idea, I just kept ordering it and they’d figure it out for me, then one day the cashier was like, “We don’t have that anymore.”  So then I was afraid to order it anymore and just kind of stopped going to McDs altogether.

Thankfully, they’ve since brought the 2 cheeseburger meals back- and they changed it to a #9 meal, so now I feel comfortable ordering by meal number, lmao.  I could never bring myself to ask for “a number two meal’ before, lol,

Cinnamon rolls......

about 20 years ago I used to drive 45 miles ONE way to get cinnamon rolls from the dirtiest diner Ihave ever seen! 

It all started way way longer ago when I was driving the little berries to the nearest mall, 75 miles away. One kid had to go to the bathroom, so I pulled up to the Silver Top Diner in Addison, NY. When we went in, I honestly thought it had a dirt floor, it was so torn up and filthy. But the restroom was surprisingly clean, so we went. On the way out I spotted the most gorgeous cinnamon rolls, and bought one. Oh dear god.  

So years later when the kids were grown and I had a Ford Taurus SHO with a yamaha racing engine and could easily do 110, i used to drive 90 miles round trip for a couple of rolls. I even named the car Addison, inhonor of the village of the holy rolls. 

2 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

There isn’t a McDonald’s in the Portland airport either. It’s actually pretty nice for food and shopping. I think (and I am not going after the references here) they have awards for this sort of thing.

I try to go through Portland as much as possible. It's so much nicer than Seattle. I don't know if there is a McDs in Seattle, but there's a Burger King at the N gate in Seattle, along with two crappy restaurants and a bagel shop. The main terminal was under construction the last 3 times I went there. And the Seattle bars and restaurants close early. 

Come to think of it, I don't remember any national chains in Portland airport. There's pretty good choices, though nothing spectacular-- it's still an airport!

2 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I do believe @Maggie Mae was making a generalization about airport fast food. 

I was. And my airport has a McDs at the C gate, which is where Alaska Air flies out of. That odor at 5 am is vomit inducing.

I once flew to Kotzebue with a person carrying 5 chain pizzas. I didn't smell them once they were stowed in the overhead. I imagine they were cold, as well. 

18 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

Law schools don't take IOU's.  So either Derick is a big fat liar (when he assured JB he would remain debt free no matter what!) and is receiving student loans to cover his tuition, or he's being bankrolled by someone. 

I am about 99.9% sure Derick is a big fat liar who has student loans. (The loans are fine; it's the lying I take issue with). In addition to the law school fees, there are the housing, clothing, medical, and food costs for this family of four while no.one.works.

I don't know a single person who got through law school fully funded by a scholarship or financial aid. And some of these people had far more academic accomplishments than Mr. Naturalized Uncle and had no dependents at the time. Also, any life insurance pay outs or income by his wife would hurt his chances for financial aid. 

I agree with you that he will likely just drop out. 

On 12/12/2018 at 12:42 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

I’ve never done that with icing before, but I have with cookie dough (fuck the CDC warnings)

A food blog that I follow has a recipe for edible cookie dough (not that it isn't ALL edible) if you want to go egg-free. She toasts her flour, which I didn't do when I made it, and it was really, really good. Super easy, too!

13 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

And Flying Elephants. I almost always go there for some tomato orange soup and a bagel. This is like the best tomato soup in the city. It can be had at the other locations but it’s a reliable choice there.

Sorry, did I read that correctly? Tomato orange soup??

13 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

Sorry, did I read that correctly? Tomato orange soup??

You did indeed. It’s fabulous. I tend to put more pepper in mine.

For nearly four decades, Portlanders have enjoyed our Tomato Orange Soup. People claim it has magical healing powers or that even a taste of it brings back childhood memories. It just tastes like Portland for generations of folks. If you search for the soup on the Internet, you will see that we published the recipe years ago. And you will find dozens of soup photos! People love to add their own flair and make our original recipe their own. (A huge compliment to us, really!)

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preparation
In a saucepan, melt butter; add onion and sauté until translucent. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, baking soda and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Puree in a food processor or blender; strain through a sieve or food mill. Return to saucepan and stir in orange juice.

At this point, the soup can be refrigerated until ready to serve. At serving time, add the whipping cream and heat gently, stirring constantly, bringing to a simmer and adjust seasonings if necessary. Extra cream may be drizzled on top of the soup immediately before serving for decorative effect

16 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Maybe they were impressed with you being able to make a roll in the shape of someone’s face? Or Pecan roll’s are sort of like his horcrux, his soul resides in each one.

Or maybe you shove David down a hill and watch Pecan roll?

Where am I going with this?

So this is from yesterday, but now I’m curious. What happens to The Pecan Who Must Not Be Named’s soul if you eat the Horcrux roll though? Does eating it cause him to possess you? Does it give you a case of indigestion? Do you get the sudden urge to romp with Priscilla through a Pecan farm and steal Pecans? Does eating it destroy the Horcrux? Or do standard Harry Potter rules for destruction still apply and, if so, where can we find a sword impregnated with basilisk venom? 

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I don't know a single person who got through law school fully funded by a scholarship or financial aid. And some of these people had far more academic accomplishments than Mr. Naturalized Uncle and had no dependents at the time. Also, any life insurance pay outs or income by his wife would hurt his chances for financial aid. 

I agree with you that he will likely just drop out. 

I don't think he'll drop out. However he's paying for all this (and I agree that he is amassing huge debt), it buys him 2.5 more years of "freedom". Meaning, he can be a student, have no real responsibilities or expectations, a convenient excuse for being away from Jill and the kids and her large, probably irritating family. There will always be a paper, mock trial, exam to prepare for. He won't have to deal with the reality of providing for a family and nobody can really blame him for it while he's at school, in his stupid mind anyway.

The question is what happens when he has to start looking for work? I attended a T14, let's say about halfway down the list between 1 and 14, and I did the typical applications after 1L and in the fall of 2L did the interviews with NYC firms and was basically set from that point on with a very lucrative post-graduation position. I am not familiar with UArkLaw's prospects when it comes to recruitment, especially outside of local/regional employers and firms. Almost all my classmates had jobs lined up in the fall of 2L as is typical of top schools. If it's similar where he is, then he will be feeling immense pressure around this time next year if he fails to land a gig. If it's not the case there then that's much worse because it means that the students are much more dependent on hustling and looking for work themselves. Derick doesn't strike me as somebody who would be particularly good at selling himself, he's not hardworking enough to accept just anything, he's questionably mobile (do you see Jill wanting to move to San Francisco or Chicago or anywhere too far from family?), and my guess is his grades won't have him in the enviable top 10 or 25%. I agree with whoever said he is hoping for a Focus on the Family sort of corporate counsel role but there are much more qualified fundies, better connected and from better schools with an eye on the same thing. Plus as much as their world is insular, the outside world is not, and those evangelical politically active organizations peaked in terms of influence around the time of the second Bush 43 presidency and just do not have the same reach or $ as they once did.

39 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

So this is from yesterday, but now I’m curious. What happens to The Pecan Who Must Not Be Named’s soul if you eat the Horcrux roll though? Does eating it cause him to possess you? Does it give you a case of indigestion? Do you get the sudden urge to romp with Priscilla through a Pecan farm and steal Pecans? Does eating it destroy the Horcrux? Or do standard Harry Potter rules for destruction still apply and, if so, where can we find a sword impregnated with basilisk venom? 

Does it remain a horcrux after it goes through you and part of his soul is now in poo? Would it change a person to have a poo horcrux?

49 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

Does it remain a horcrux after it goes through you and part of his soul is now in poo? Would it change a person to have a poo horcrux?

E3CC61F9-13E7-420E-9466-BF2B7A7BC474.jpeg.b57f27c9aab31358da470fb6d4d4c700.jpeg

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

I don't think he'll drop out. However he's paying for all this (and I agree that he is amassing huge debt), it buys him 2.5 more years of "freedom". Meaning, he can be a student, have no real responsibilities or expectations, a convenient excuse for being away from Jill and the kids and her large, probably irritating family. There will always be a paper, mock trial, exam to prepare for. He won't have to deal with the reality of providing for a family and nobody can really blame him for it while he's at school, in his stupid mind anyway.

I agree he'll drag it out for as long as possible to keep his "freedom." However, what will he do if he doesn't land a good internship? He doesn't seem to be one for sticking with things when they get tough, or when challenges expose his shortcomings.

Also do you think he'll pass the bar? (I doubt he will on the first shot but he could always surprise me.) And if he doesn't, will he admit it and retake it after more prep, or come up with some story about how he "only wanted a law degree, not to become a lawyer"?

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Also do you think he'll pass the bar? (I doubt he will on the first shot but he could always surprise me.) And if he doesn't, will he admit it and retake it after more prep, or come up with some story about how he "only wanted a law degree, not to become a lawyer"?

He'll probably pass. Their pass rate isn't bad (about 80% in Arkansas, 100% in Missouri last year and in the 70s in Texas). People have the wrong impression about the bar exam. Some states do have low pass rates but it's because they have a large number of people from out of state writing the bar which will necessarily drag down the numbers. They also have a million terrible law schools whose students barely scraped by to get in and without being offensive, just aren't the best and brightest. The T14 and a further down the T1 to the schools that are still considered "national" notably do NOT essentially spend 3 years on bar prep. They teach law generally. The lower ranked schools whose graduates end up largely employed in-state or regionally basically have a 3-year bar prep program designed to have a high bar passage rate. That's because it's easy to teach for the bar when most of your students will be writing the bar in that particular state. That's also their selling point as a matter of competing for students. They can't attract top talent who will go to the top schools so the second, third, etc tier students will look closely at bar passage rates. Nobody cares what YLS's bar passage rate is (tip: very high) because that's not why you go there in the first place.

You don't need to be a genius to pass the bar, you just need to have a good memory and/or devote a lot of time to studying for it.

If he flames out when it comes to employment I think he'll go down the route of "a law degree is very versatile, and many people who work in government, politics, consulting, etc, have law degrees but aren't lawyers." So he could justify it that way.

I have no reason to believe that Derick isn't intelligent enough to graduate law school or pass the bar. I'm sure he is. The question for me is whether he has the self-discipline and patience to get through the whole program. 

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I have no reason to believe that Derick isn't intelligent enough to graduate law school or pass the bar. I'm sure he is. The question for me is whether he has the self-discipline and patience to get through the whole program. 

THIS! My dream has always been to go to Law School,  I'm smart enough oh yeah,  I'm not sure I'm self disciplined enough (even at 48) to get through it.  Though reality has a way of making you pretty damn disciplined but Derelict is still living in the land of delusion. So he may not see those numbers piling up. If he is using student loans  since they don't work he could be getting grant money.  

I'm not a fan of the composition of the table photo. It just looks like a messy table, which I want to tidy and set up. I am happy they are eating sushi, though. 

I'm so excited to be caught up on the Dillards thread for the first time in months, y'all.  That was some epic thread drift. 

The kissing selfies are SO WEIRD. I could never imagine doing this, let alone posting it to social media. There is one picture of me kissing my husband, from our wedding, and I didn't even post that to social media.

I think fundies may be the only people who actually want to look at other people kissing. As soon as they put a ring on it, all ideas about modesty become totally irrelevant, because any display of sexual attraction just makes them a shiny example of fulfilling God's plan. ?

And I think really the only fundies who even like it are the other married couples, who probably grab their always-nearby spouse for a quick mouth-meld while high-fiving and shouting "Yeah!!! We get to kiss too Baaaabbbbee!!!111!"

It must suck for all the single ones who get either bitter or (gag) lustful, and then have to immediately repent for those feelings. 

(Is it weird that I think of fundies fulfilling God's plan like the Soviet workers fulfilling 5-year plans? So like if you have 19 children you're a fundie Stakhanovite who heroically overfulfilled your plan??)

On 12/12/2018 at 10:26 PM, fluffernutter said:

I love the classic McDonalds Cheeseburger so much. Like an abnormal amount of love for that cheeseburger. Keep the fries, the soda, the milkshakes. But I could eat those cheeseburger like they are going out of business. 

I love their hamburgers, McNuggets and the fries. I don't eat fast food often but when I do, I will usually get one of those. Recently, I was really sick from some antibiotics I was on. I couldn't eat anything. The only thing I craved were McNuggets. I ate a box of 10. 

I have no pictures of me kissing anybody. Why would anybody want to see that? I don't like how fundies try to make it look like they are the most loving, affectionate people with the best marriages. Not modest at all. They protest a bit too much, as far as I'm concerned.

15 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I wonder too. He gets so hot headed and off track...... I don't think he has the ability to know when to shut up. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived