IGNORED

Joy and Austin 25: Guest Starring Grandpa Munster

HerNameIsBuffy

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm looking at their website right now and trying to figure out how long the box is actually supposed to last. I'm seeing stuff about five 'fuelings' per day which makes it seem like one box would last less than a month... and while $400/month is definitely a lot better than $400/week, it's still pretty pricey!

I hope this is safe and providing adequate nutrition. I'm so suspicious of these things. I mean, at least it's not Plexus, but... here's the warning from their website:

Do not use the OPTAVIA Program if you are pregnant. If you have a serious acute or chronic illness (e.g., heart attack, diabetes, cancer, liver disease, kidney disease, anorexia, bulimia, etc.) do not use the OPTAVIA Program until your healthcare provider says you have recovered or that your condition is stabilized. The Optimal Weight 5 & 1 PlanTM is NOT appropriate for teens (13 to 18 years of age), sedentary older adults (65 years and older), nursing mothers, people with gout, some people with diabetes, and those who exercise more than 45 minutes per day. For special medical or dietary needs, refer to our program guides online.

I'm not here to police other women's bodies or choices, but hopefully she's read the fine print and isn't putting herself at risk if she's still nursing, and I would hope that if she becomes pregnant again she'll stop the program. JRod continuing to consume Plexus all through her pregnancy makes me somewhat pessimistic. 

I'm totally with you on that, but the lengthy and fairly substantive disclaimer actually makes this seem infinitely more credible than Plexus to me. 

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dominionatrix said:

I'm totally with you on that, but the lengthy and fairly substantive disclaimer actually makes this seem infinitely more credible than Plexus to me. 

Oh, I agree - so far this looks more like a Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig type thing than Plexus, and I was incredibly relieved to see that. I was seriously worried that Joy had hopped on the Plexus train!

If anyone is curious, another name for this company was Medi-Fast. The ideas are actually good, like focusing on eating macro-nutrients (that's a code word for this company!)

It's not surprising to me. Michelle loved to talk about Weight Watchers and Jessa advertised Trim Healthy Mama.

I also always assumed the girls worked out a lot. Michelle talked about her 5 miles a day on the elliptical. And it was mentioned Jinger ran a lot for exercise before her wedding.

On 12/18/2018 at 11:21 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I was awake for both of mine and didn't find it traumatic at all. After #1 was born I was just so happy to not be in excruciating pain anymore, only two hours of sleep, in 40 hours, 22 hours of Pitocin induced labor and 4 hours of pushing meant I was DONE. I didn't care at that point HOW  they got him out as long as I got some sort of relief.  I kept falling asleep on the operating table and scaring everyone, but I was just exhausted, the adrenaline kicked in once he was here but for about 2 hours (in surgery and in recovery before anyone was let in)  I was just out of it. 

I'm also not adverse to surgery, which is a good thing because I've had approximately 20 of them over the course of my life, including the 2 c/sections.

I think I'm probably the unusual one finding it traumatic. I have a fairly long history of childhood abuse and not having control over my body really did me in.

10 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

So it's totes, not beach body? 

I assumed Beachbody at first as well. But It’s not. It’s a different MLM though so same predatory nature.

My friend did HerbalLife for a while. The weight came back once she stopped the shakes. It's also very bad for health. I know people that had problems after coming off of it.

2 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

My friend did HerbalLife for a while. The weight came back once she stopped the shakes. It's also very bad for health. I know people that had problems after coming off of it.

I did that too many many years ago. I lost weight and then gained it all back after I stopped. The shakes were kind of yummy though. 

On 12/18/2018 at 8:21 PM, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

He was a Medicine Man.  Some people would have called him a Shaman.  I’ve only met 2 real Shamins in my lifetime, the rest just think they are.  I tell people I know nothing, it’s better that way.  I’m not into people trying to make money off of it, its really a very solitary thing.  My fundy ex thought I was a witch, nope, not the same.  Ancient prophecies are best left alone too.   ?

Many years ago, my cousin Paul was out west. He spent a lot of time with the Native Americans of the region and made good friends with a man we called Indian Tom. Tom was a medicine man. The only payment he wanted were cigs and coffee. My mother had tremors for years in her hands. She was out there and went to go see him. He said it was her nerves and pulled at them in her hands and arms (he had long nails) or something like that. SHe stopped shaking right away. My dad who never believed in that stuff was in awe. Tom told her that without regular treatments, the shakes would come back. She didn't shake for about 6 months after. 

I hope Joy, at 21, is getting some nutrition education along with this plan. She needs to learn how to use real food as fuel as opposed to entertainment or eating for 2. I think part of the problem might be her relationship to food. Until one gets that relationship in a healthy balance, struggles in this area will be present. Also, I know it's a far distant worry for most young people,  but what you consume affects your health. A healthy body should be the ultimate goal.

12 hours ago, singsingsing said:

. . . .

I'm not here to police other women's bodies or choices, but hopefully she's read the fine print and isn't putting herself at risk if she's still nursing, and I would hope that if she becomes pregnant again she'll stop the program. JRod continuing to consume Plexus all through her pregnancy makes me somewhat pessimistic. 

Oh, but Plexus allowed someone I know to have a VBAC homebirth!!! (sarcasm) The early baby then had to be transported to the hospital because of breathing problems but the mom got the birth she had wanted with prior offspring, praise Plexus.

I ended up with a C-section with munchkin. She had been head down the whole time but decided last minute to flip sideways causing her to go into distress. After a long labor (30+) hrs, I was beyond exhausted and frankly so out of it. (Mostly because of no sleep, and an epidural) I admit I fell asleep during the initial surgery and woke up in time to hear her cry. On one hand, I am ashamed to admit that I fell asleep during the surgery, yet on the other hand; my sleep deprived mind needed to sleep for a bit. Was I wrong in doing that? I got to see her, and hear her cry...... Have I failed as a mama for not being awake during that surgery? Sorry if I am not making sense.

59 minutes ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

I ended up with a C-section with munchkin. She had been head down the whole time but decided last minute to flip sideways causing her to go into distress. After a long labor (30+) hrs, I was beyond exhausted and frankly so out of it. (Mostly because of no sleep, and an epidural) I admit I fell asleep during the initial surgery and woke up in time to hear her cry. On one hand, I am ashamed to admit that I fell asleep during the surgery, yet on the other hand; my sleep deprived mind needed to sleep for a bit. Was I wrong in doing that? I got to see her, and hear her cry...... Have I failed as a mama for not being awake during that surgery? Sorry if I am not making sense.

Your story sounds much like mine. I look at it this way, they survived and we survived. I call it a success.

I was wondering what the hell Joy was talking about and thought, "I bet if I go on FJ they've figured it out by now" and indeed! I find it really sketchy that she and her coach are not coming out and naming the product.

8 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

Everyone is different and have different ideas on childbirth. I would say it’s up to you to figure out the bolded. 

(Personally though, I think you did a wonderful job and you deserved that nap. But you’re 100% allowed to feel however you feel about it. :) )

8 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

I still have mother guilt over my c section. 

I was so focused on keeping calm during my emergency c section that i think i went into shock and or dissociated myself with what was going on. I "snapped' back into reality when my baby cried. I felt overwhelming guilt that I had not listened to hear that first cry that is such a "significant and joyful" memory and, that I was not immediately in tune to see if my baby was ok, That I had somehow forgotten that I was having a human being removed from my body. 

I hated the needle in my spine. I itched all over my body for days after it (allergic reaction). If it wasn't for the mother guilt, if I was ever to go again, I would happily be knocked out.

I had a group of friends try ideal protein (similar program that involved buying their shakes, soups, and bars to replace your normal meals). They all lost a significant amount of weight and I'll admit, the jealousy bug hit me a bit. However, about a year later they all seemed to quit and the weight all came back for every one of them. This is why I'm just eating real food and moderately exercising. The weightloss had been muuuuuch slower to come off compared to theirs, but at least it is staying off. I hope Joy can see that healthy living will get her to her optimal weight, it just might not happen in 8 weeks. But for now I'm sure we are going to constantly hear about this new and exciting ? program for months until she tires of it.

I looked into that Optavia program a couple of years ago.  A FB friend and her husband lost weight on it and became 'coaches' (which I think means they were selling it) and they added me to a private FB group for people who were doing the program even though I never ended up doing it.  It seemed to work for people who were okay with meal-replacement shake type diets, although there was a lot of 'hey, who wants to trade this flavor for this other flavor' posts so it might be that you can't customize your product as much as you'd want, or maybe people were ordering things and deciding they didn't like certain flavors as much.  I think the biggest issue people had with it was getting bored with the lack of variety.  There were a lot of FB people who had lost some weight, gotten bored, stopped doing it, and were trying again... hmmm, sounds like pretty much every diet I've ever done ;-).  So... not the worst product in the world to get involved with, and not a miracle cure either.

On 12/20/2018 at 7:51 PM, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

On 12/21/2018 at 4:21 AM, AussieKrissy said:

I still have mother guilt over my c section. 

I was so focused on keeping calm during my emergency c section that i think i went into shock and or dissociated myself with what was going on. I "snapped' back into reality when my baby cried. I felt overwhelming guilt that I had not listened to hear that first cry that is such a "significant and joyful" memory and, that I was not immediately in tune to see if my baby was ok, That I had somehow forgotten that I was having a human being removed from my body. 

I hated the needle in my spine. I itched all over my body for days after it (allergic reaction). If it wasn't for the mother guilt, if I was ever to go again, I would happily be knocked out.

I was awake during my c-section (1h from decision to being rolled into the recovery room with my baby). And I don’t really remember her scream. I know they showed me this perfect baby and I kissed and smelled her till they took her for her first examination- but honestly I cannot remember it really. I know it happened and I was totally in the moment but that’s about it. I cannot really recall it. And there was definitely not this magical experience where my whole universe stopped and made loving her the new gravity (or whatever you read sometimes).

There is definitely no need to feel guilty. I think it has no real impact on your relationship if the first moment wasn’t ideal. The long run is what counts. 

And just thinking being in this pain (had horrible back labour for 10h without any progression whatsoever) for as long as you did- I probably would have fallen asleep as soon as narcotics really kicked in.

On 12/20/2018 at 11:26 PM, freethemall said:

I was wondering what the hell Joy was talking about and thought, "I bet if I go on FJ they've figured it out by now" and indeed! I find it really sketchy that she and her coach are not coming out and naming the product.

It's an MLM, so they're not supposed to name the company or the product unless it's in a private message. Most people know what MLM schemes are now and very often call them out. The consultants often can't defend themselves, so now it's all secrets and *wink wink* stuff. I would say it's mostly with the weight loss ones, I see a lot of Scentsy/Younique/Mary Kay stuff still being floated around on Facebook but the weight loss ones have gone more private. 

7 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

It's an MLM, so they're not supposed to name the company or the product unless it's in a private message. Most people know what MLM schemes are now and very often call them out. The consultants often can't defend themselves, so now it's all secrets and *wink wink* stuff. I would say it's mostly with the weight loss ones, I see a lot of Scentsy/Younique/Mary Kay stuff still being floated around on Facebook but the weight loss ones have gone more private. 

Some of the newer cosmetics MLMs are using the super secret strategy as well. I have a Facebook friend (old college coworker) who just started selling *something*. I know she loooooves working with so many #amazing women, and is super excited to run her very own “independent” business. I assume it’s a cosmetics company because she post a lot about the AWESOME changes in her skin and eyelashes. I know all these half facts about this #opportunity, but I have no idea what company it is. The entire marketing strategy is based on the most obnoxious form of vaguebooking. 

I actually haven't seen much MLM stuff on Facebook lately, now that I come to think of it. That probably means that in a week or so I will get a message from someone I haven't talked to in 8-10 years saying "Hey hun! How have you been?" 

MLMs are so predatory and icky. 

On 12/20/2018 at 1:51 PM, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

You of course can feel however you feel about it but personally I've come to a place that me not remembering my son being born isn't nearly as important as all the days after. I like to think I'm doing a okay job and the best I can. I know he's happy, that's all that matters and he doesn't remember being born either :) 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived