IGNORED

Joy and Austin 25: Guest Starring Grandpa Munster

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

I don't think I "lucky" that my kid sleeps. I worked hard are being consistent and at practicing safe sleep. I have encouraged learning to self soothe and realized crying is not always a bad thing, he should be allowed to voice his feeling too. He sleeps 12-13 hours a night and naps for around 2 hours in the afternoon

This was GryffindorDisappointment. I guess I did what might be (rightfully? ignorantly? I didn't know better but I know I thrive on structured days, so GryffDis got that sort of daily structure from me?) called "sleep training" and I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

She slept 8p-7a from 6 weeks, even breastfed (plus a little cereal - she's FINE). She took a 90-minute nap mid-morning and a 2-hour nap mid-afternoon. She slept ONLY in her crib, but with normal household noises (vacuuming, washer/dryer, television, visitors, plus the noise of helicopters and jets overhead because we were on a military flight path). Kid can STILL sleep through thunder/earthquakes/gunfire and she's 28.

Training a child to sleep is important for many people, and there's nothing wrong with it, if that's how your household works best.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t want to bring this up in re: to Joy, because that’s gross, but in re: to big breasts, small bands, those bras are made. In college I wore a 32 FF. When I finally got properly fitted it changed my life. 

Now, can I walk into target and buy a cheap bra? No. Do my bras cost 69$-75$ a piece? Yes. Do I usually wait until they’re absolutley shapeless and drop 200$ online to get new ones, or make a trip into Nordstrom’s to have a stranger remeasure me? Yes ma’am.

At 27, I know wear a 36 G (since my last fitting) in my brand of choice, fantasie. 

But if you’re struggle with finding a bra because you have huge boobs and a tiny rib cage: THEY EXIST. You don’t need to get them “custom”. Try barenecessities.com and also  thirdlove.com. Look into panache and fantasie if you’re overwhelmed by brands, those are my go to. ?✌️

On 11/12/2018 at 12:29 AM, Shadoewolf said:

My avatar says it all for college football. When Hubby flipped past the OU/OSU game yesterday I actually chuckled because I hoped Derick's team would lose. 

My father attend and taught at Michigan my brother and sister were born there as well.  I'm not a football fan by any means, but I would watch every game on TV when I was a small child. It was a bonding moment with my dad.

11 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I was never very good with getting good bras while pregnant and nursing. My size was always changing . From a B pre-pregnancy to a DD when pregnant to a Ginormous when my milk first came in to up and down and up and down through the various stages - even through the damn day the size would change significantly. The band size would change a size or two too with my weight —- how do people manage that?  

At least they make pretty nursing bras now, instead of the ugly monstrosities when I was having babies.

Me too. A 36 C when I am at my normal weight.38D as soon as I reach a certain weight.40E for my milk to come in.

Now ,at my highest weight ever,40D.

The nursing bras are much prettier now.I was so embarassed when I got the bra for my milk to come in...that sucker could fit on my head.

When I had my youngest son,I was in the hospital,I had a few nursing gowns,my grandmother came to visit.I was nursing the baby.My grandmother said "Melon,your nightgown has holes under the pleats for nursing??"" How wonderful!They did not have anything like that in my time!".

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

This was GryffindorDisappointment. I guess I did what might be (rightfully? ignorantly? I didn't know better but I know I thrive on structured days, so GryffDis got that sort of daily structure from me?) called "sleep training" and I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

She slept 8p-7a from 6 weeks, even breastfed (plus a little cereal - she's FINE). She took a 90-minute nap mid-morning and a 2-hour nap mid-afternoon. She slept ONLY in her crib, but with normal household noises (vacuuming, washer/dryer, television, visitors, plus the noise of helicopters and jets overhead because we were on a military flight path). Kid can STILL sleep through thunder/earthquakes/gunfire and she's 28.

Training a child to sleep is important for many people, and there's nothing wrong with it, if that's how your household works best.

If you are the type of person who needs a routine to function properly then then you do what you need to do.  I don't see where sleep training is a bad thing, as long as your child's needs are met, fed, dry diaper, isn't in physical pain, isn't ill,  sleep training to get them sleeping better and you feeling better is a good thing, happy parents happy child.

I didn't sleep train my oldest, didn't need to he was a great sleeper from about 6 weeks on, he is still a good sleeper. He didn't necessarily need a schedule he was and is a very chill person, DH & I don't need schedules to "function" but our daughter does. She needed to follow a very strict schedule as an infant, it  was much harder on me than it was on her, I'm NOT a routine kind of person. We did sleep training with her and it took two nights for her and I'm guessing she cried for a grand total of an 1 hour, and she was so much happier when we followed this, and it was going to be a bad day when we couldn't.  

She went down for her morning nap at 9:30 (yes I still remember her schedule it was that strict) slept for about an hour got up we played had lunch at noon, and her and big brother went down for their afternoon naps at 1:00 he slept for 2 to 2.5 hours and she would for 3 to 3.5 hours and she HAD to sleep in her crib with the radio set to static for white noise.  He was in bed by 8:00 pm and she at 9:00 every night. She was up at 7:00 am he was up around 7:30 am, and we started the day over again. She thrived on structure she still sticks to a pretty tight schedule even at 18 years old.  Most kids thrive and require boundaries and structure it is how they learn limits and learn mom & dad are in charge and they need to listen to us because we know what is best for them.

4 hours ago, habert said:

I don’t want to bring this up in re: to Joy, because that’s gross, but in re: to big breasts, small bands, those bras are made. In college I wore a 32 FF. When I finally got properly fitted it changed my life. 

Now, can I walk into target and buy a cheap bra? No. Do my bras cost 69$-75$ a piece? Yes. Do I usually wait until they’re absolutley shapeless and drop 200$ online to get new ones, or make a trip into Nordstrom’s to have a stranger remeasure me? Yes ma’am.

At 27, I know wear a 36 G (since my last fitting) in my brand of choice, fantasie. 

But if you’re struggle with finding a bra because you have huge boobs and a tiny rib cage: THEY EXIST. You don’t need to get them “custom”. Try barenecessities.com and also  thirdlove.com. Look into panache and fantasie if you’re overwhelmed by brands, those are my go to. ?✌️

All of this! I am a 36K/38H and daughter is a 28H/30G.  We buy online. Also try FigLeaves. 

10 hours ago, habert said:

I walked into a Bravissimo (specialize in larger busts, and great service to boot) to browse around one day, and when I took a bra I liked to the front to ask if they had it in 32D/DD, the sales woman took one look at me and said "honey, you're a 28 band if that". No wonder my bras have always felt weird as fuck. Oh well, at least my boyfriend appreciates my moderately large tracts of land. 

Also www.reddit.com/r/abrathatfits is another great place to check out! I am slender and small-chested and always thought that I was a 34A, maybe 34B (wishful thinking?).

Remeasured myself recently using their charts, and turns out I'm much better suited as a 30D - the band size is smaller, and the cup size is actually not very large at all. Got some reasonable priced bras online from Aerie, and WOW, the fit is so much better. No more gapping or other weird fits. Sounds counterintuitive, but it's definitely worth learning a little more about.

14 hours ago, habert said:

Nordstrom Rack (online!) and Amazon also have surprisingly good selections of 36G and similar.  My go-to brands tend to be Wacoal and Natori, both of which can be found dramatically marked down on those sites.

It's also like truly a whole new world when you find a fitted bra. My best friend and I just went to get re-measured a few months ago and our sizes were completely off but once we tried on our actual size it was amazing. 

On 11/13/2018 at 5:01 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

then she can sleep on a long distance flight as well...?

my dad worked nights when i was a child - toddler, to a teenager so for some reason the house had to be quiet as a mouse for my mom to go to sleep...and that transferred to me. 

years later when i was babysitting - i thought everyone had to have the house quiet to sleep - turns out i was wrong and the kid i was babysitting had a huge fit. 

I use to babysit for a family who’s daughter could fall asleep anywhere. More then once when I was watching them she would fall asleep on the couch.  I tuned the lights off & put the TV on low and she was still asleep. I still see their mother a lot (my mother use to work with her) and her daughter can still fall asleep anywhere & she’s in her 20’s. 

Regarding sleep schedules / environments ( and every other aspect of parenting )  - I will say that the one thing that has made me less judgey of how other parents do things - is watching my own kids parent. They all have very different personalities and styles of parenting, and learning to bite my tounge when they do something I don’t approve of (most of the time) - has caused me to reevaluate some things. I might give advice, and opinions of what did / didn’t work for me, especially with the ones who I spend the most time with, but obviously the decisions are theirs. And so far their kids are turning out pretty awesome.

4 hours ago, nst said:

then she can sleep on a long distance flight as well...?

Yep. We go to Europe 3-5 times every year, and she's out like a light as soon as we're wheels-up. :)

I just watched the episode where Joy and Austin go to an around the world potluck (which probably aired ages ago), and Austin is freaking out about double dipping, and I'm just like..? Get skewers that you only use once, then throw them out? One-time use wooden skewers? Then there would not be a problem? 

EDIT: They have gone on and on about this for half an episode now - USE WOODEN SKEWERS 

Also they are having a fancy dinner, but they are using paper plates? I mean, come, you are 6 people, not 60, use real plates! EDIT - watching it again, it might be real plates that look like paper plates. 

14 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I just watched the episode where Joy and Austin go to an around the world potluck (which probably aired ages ago), and Austin is freaking out about double dipping, and I'm just like..? Get skewers that you only use once, then throw them out? One-time use wooden skewers? Then there would not be a problem? 

EDIT: They have gone on and on about this for half an episode now - USE WOODEN SKEWERS 

Also they are having a fancy dinner, but they are using paper plates? I mean, come, you are 6 people, not 60, use real plates! 

Why should they use dozens of skewers? Just don’t double dip. We can’t snark on them for using paper plates but then want them to use one-time use „cutlery“. Those people produce enough waste. I was shocked to find out there are hotels serving their breakfast on paper or styrofoam plates. What the hell? That is not only unbelievable tacky but unjustifiable in this day and age in my opinion.

Did they use paper plates though? I remember one episode when Ben and Jessa put real plates on the table. Thought it was this one but maybe I am mistaken.

29 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Also they are having a fancy dinner, but they are using paper plates? I mean, come, you are 6 people, not 60, use real plates! 

I've never understood their use of disposable plates, cups and silverware, that gets so expensive over time. Yes washing that many dishes is a PITA but it isn't like Michelle would be doing dishes anyway, the kids would, though the amount of energy, water & soap needed to wash 60 sets of cups/plates/silverware a day it probably evens itself out.  

4 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Why should they use dozens of skewers? Just don’t double dip. We can’t snark on them for using paper plates but then want them to use one-time use „cutlery“. Those people produce enough waste. I was shocked to find out there are hotels serving their breakfast on paper or styrofoam plates. What the hell? That is not only unbelievable tacky but unjustifiable in this day and age in my opinion.

Did they use paper plates though? I remember one episode when Ben and Jessa put real plates on the table. Thought it was this one but maybe I am mistaken.

If they use real plates it wouldn't be so bad using wooden skewers. It would balance it out. To me wooden skewers are quite "normal" to use (compared to paper plates/plastic cutlery) (also I use them so infrequently, if I used them every day, I would probably get metal). 

You are right, I think, they just look like paper/plastic plates, when they eat the make the sound that plastic/paper plates wouldn't. 

Joe going: "In America salad is usually lettuce, maybe with a couple of vegetables thrown on top. Maybe? Maybe? Joe, please tell me no one has served a bowl of lettuce and passed it off as a salad. 

It's not the utensil that's being double-dipped - it's the bitten-off FOOD that's being double-dipped... as in:  dip a hunk of banana in chocolate, bite a piece of it off and dunk that bitten portion back into the chocolate.

Or dipping a chip in salsa, biting off the chip and then dipping it back into the salsa.

it's gross. 

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

It's not the utensil that's being double-dipped - it's the bitten-off FOOD that's being double-dipped... as in:  dip a hunk of banana in chocolate, bite a piece of it off and dunk that bitten portion back into the chocolate.

Or dipping a chip in salsa, biting off the chip and then dipping it back into the salsa.

it's gross. 

Yea, I wasn’t surprised Austin didn’t like the fondue idea. It doesn’t bother me, but I know several people who are completely grossed out.

Really, I thought it was kind of sweet he went along with it.

My family has made cheese fondue as far back as I can remember. We were always taught to take the fondue fork and dip the bread into the fondue, then take a regular dinner fork and transfer it to our plate. Most of us dip four or five pieces of bread and then eat them, so we're not all trying to dip at the same time. by doing this, things that are dipped into the common part are completely separate from things that go into our mouth.

Not going to lie, the few times I've had fondue (choc or cheese) my family just stabbed and pulled the fruit/bread off the fork with our teeth and ate it without really touching the fork. Like Joy did in the prep scenes (I think). We're family, and none of us were sick/its a one off so we all had a 'who really cares' attitude ? to each their own though, I imagine if it was extended family/family friends/little kids then we might have done the forked onto plate maneuver 

4 hours ago, DundeeUnFundie said:

Not going to lie, the few times I've had fondue (choc or cheese) my family just stabbed and pulled the fruit/bread off the fork with our teeth and ate it without really touching the fork. Like Joy did in the prep scenes (I think). We're family, and none of us were sick/its a one off so we all had a 'who really cares' attitude ? to each their own though, I imagine if it was extended family/family friends/little kids then we might have done the forked onto plate maneuver 

Oh my, I remember when one of my best friends in Switzerland invited me to a cheese fondue, homemade by him. I was all excited and really hungry. Then he put a piece of bread on the stick and put it in the cheese pot. He moved it around in big circles and then ate it straight from the stick, all licking and smacking because it was piping hot. And then he put another piece of bread on the stick and swirled it around in the cheese even more. At that point I could not continue eating. I just said I wasn't hungry anymore and was to scared to tell him "please don't double dip!". I told him a few months later that I don't like double dipping and that I find it gross but he didn't seem to catch on.

I'm not a germaphobe, honestly unless someone is licking the stick or sucking the chocolate or cheese off the food and putting it back for more, stuff like this doesn't bug me.  I share cups, drinks, forks with my husband, kids and  nieces and nephew. Germs don't scare me, germs are our friends, we need germs to build our immune system and keep us healthy. The only time I'm concerned with sharing drinks or utensils is if someone is ill, I'm fairly easy going, but I'm not stupid.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived