IGNORED

Joy and Austin 25: Guest Starring Grandpa Munster

HerNameIsBuffy

41 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Cleanse your body of toxins from bad food apparently. In reality, you're basically starving yourself. 

I figured it was something like that. My officemate did a cleanse. Which I thought was weird because we’re in a science-y health field so you’d think she’d know better

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have what one polity refers to as a 'nervous stomach.'. anxiety is an instant cleanse.

It really is. I can’t keep anything down when I get a panic attack. Sometimes even water won’t stay down. It’s a problem even when I’m dealing with very mild symptoms* like I am tonight, but it was a complete nightmare when I was dealing with it when my daughter was a newborn. 

*Not enough to be a panic attack, but elevated enough to be noticeable. I’m doing well mostly keeping it under control through deep breathing and trying to think happy thoughts, so I’m proud of myself for that. 

Just now, HarryPotterFan said:

I figured it was something like that. My officemate did a cleanse. Which I thought was weird because we’re in a science-y health field so you’d think she’d know better

I knew a guy who did one where he only drank a mixture of vinegar, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper for 4 days.

46 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I knew a guy who did one where he only drank a mixture of vinegar, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper for 4 days.

My mum tried to do something similar a few months back. A shot of cayenne pepper, lime juice, and hot water every morning before the day to 'speed up metabolism' (no idea if it works but it sounded very indicative of an ED to me so I declined to participate).

On day 1 she not only hated the taste, but threw it up alongside the 1 piece of toast she had for breakfast. Apparently having a mixture of sour, spicy bread and stomach acid come out of her nose was enough to put an end to that fad immediately. 

Things pretty much every good diet - for weight loss or for general health - have in common:  lots of non -starchy vegetables; not much processed food; very little added sugar. 

Beyond that there are many variations on - lots of meat, some meat, no meat;  dairy or no dairy; starchy vegetables like sweet potato and carrot or not; complex carbs like brown rice and lentils or not;  lots of fruit, some,  or none, etc.   But if you can stick to the rules that everyone agrees on, the rest is sort of preference more than anything.   Or guidelines for losing weight vs long term (like the fruit rules). 

My husband is currently on the "if it ain't moving, I'll eat it" diet. He rides the see-saw between what is a better diet for a diabetic and the need to gain weight. Now that his levels are better, he's ravenous 24/7. I mean, he'd put a football player at training camp to shame. His endo applauded his increased appetite and told him that if it works, it works. He has labs done every 3 months to track his A1c and nutrient levels. We TRY to stay with veggies, protein, lower carb and lower fat. However, when someone is "dying of hunger" 3 hours after his last meal, it all goes right out the window and turns into whatever he can stuff in his face. 

***I know this is not an "ideal" diabetic diet for Type 1, but as long as his doctors don't bitch, it doesn't matter. He was thisclose to ending up with TPN and a feeding tube to try to put some meat on his bones. His lowest weight was 119lbs on a 6ft frame. He's now pushing 145 and I need to go buy him bigger pants. His goal weight is about 160. 

On 1/4/2019 at 7:01 PM, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I hate oils. So many people think because they're natural it's okay to use them in public spaces, I've even seen them used on an airplane! Many smells trigger migraines for me and a lot of the oil blends soon have me vomiting and struggling to read or remember basic, necessary things. I've seen this from people who don't spray perfume in public because they understand people have issues with that, but think because oils are natural no one could have an issue. Ugh.

This x1000. There is a lady at my office who claims to be super sensitive to scents - and regularly bitches about people who wear perfume and/or use scented laundry products - yet she freaking bathes in essential oils and runs them on a machine in her office. I don't get it, and most days I don't entirely believe her sensitivity is as bad or all encompassing as she claims.

27 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

This x1000. There is a lady at my office who claims to be super sensitive to scents - and regularly bitches about people who wear perfume and/or use scented laundry products - yet she freaking bathes in essential oils and runs them on a machine in her office. I don't get it, and most days I don't entirely believe her sensitivity is as bad or all encompassing as she claims.

She may not be sensitive to those particular scents, I know a few oils are okay for me, but if she's sensitive to anything she should understand that those smells could cause issues for others!

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

If it counts than some of the physical symptoms I get when I have a panic attack should count too. :pb_lol:

(I’m laughing at this because I’ve found laughter helps me cope a bit.)

I had a panic attack in the middle of a rush at Starbucks this morning. So bad I thought I was going to faint. It's over A 12 hours later, and I don't feel much better, despite taking an extra dose of my anxiety meds. 

laughter is only a diversion to me when I get the palpitations and BP spikes. I had to break out the wine to take the edge off. ?

I'll readily admit to chewing a lot of gum with xylitol and drinking metric craptons of coffee because those things combined both keep me from snacking and help me drop Josh Duggar off at the pool a lot more. 

7 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Things pretty much every good diet - for weight loss or for general health - have in common:  lots of non -starchy vegetables; not much processed food; very little added sugar. 

Beyond that there are many variations on - lots of meat, some meat, no meat;  dairy or no dairy; starchy vegetables like sweet potato and carrot or not; complex carbs like brown rice and lentils or not;  lots of fruit, some,  or none, etc.   But if you can stick to the rules that everyone agrees on, the rest is sort of preference more than anything.   Or guidelines for losing weight vs long term (like the fruit rules). 

To that end, “paleo” can be a pathway to a healthful diet if it leads to a plant-centric diet with some unprocessed meat. I know a few people who do paleo that way. I know more people who use paleo to justify subsistence on bacon and coffee.

Personally, I don’t do well on any diet that prohibits certain foods. If I “mess up,” it sends me down a spiral where i promise myself I will “reset” the next day, giving my self permission to binge for 12-24 hours. I’ve gained 60 pounds over the past 10 years, and many of those gains happened when I was ostensibly on a diet. I started Weight Watchers right after Thanksgiving, and have lost 8 pounds over the last ~6 weeks. I also have a much healthier relationship with food - nothing is off limits, but I do have to think about what I’m eating, why I’m eating, and how it fits into my overall diet. I’m more or less following a Mediterranean diet, with enough flexibility to have a danish for breakfast on Sundays. Having the social support and accountability of weekly meetings helps a lot.

5 hours ago, marmalade said:

I had a panic attack in the middle of a rush at Starbucks this morning. So bad I thought I was going to faint. It's over A 12 hours later, and I don't feel much better, despite taking an extra dose of my anxiety meds. 

laughter is only a diversion to me when I get the palpitations and BP spikes. I had to break out the wine to take the edge off. ?

Aw! I’m really sorry you had to deal with that yesterday!!! :hug:

Wine would have been an absolute no go for me in that situation. My symptoms last night were sparked because I had less than half a bottle of alcoholic cider during a date with my husband. I was in a great mood, was relaxed, thought I could handle it, and it turned out I couldn’t. Luckily my symptoms were manageable this time and I was able to sleep - my attacks have lasted so long in the past that I get next to no sleep all night and can’t nap the next day. Caffeine seems to be a worse trigger for me, so I switched exclusively to Decaf after my daughter was born and that’s helped a bit. I keep telling myself to just avoid alcohol completely, but I cave and have a small amount once in a while. Sometimes I have no issues and other times I do, which is pretty annoying. I think I’m done for a while after this time though - I don’t have any desire for a repeat anytime soon. 

I do try to laugh even throughout my worst attacks though. It’s next to impossible because I feel like I’m dying, but laughing helps me remember that the feeling will eventually pass. I’ll either have my husband joke around if he’s awake or I’ll put on Comedy Central to help distract me. It doesn’t always work, but it does sometimes. 

My husband and I have been on a ketogenic diet for 4 years.* Essentially, we eat low carb (25-50net grams per day) and high fat with moderate protein and no processed foods. While the weight loss has been nice, the other effects have been the real benefit. When a Ketogenic diet is done properly, cholesterol levels will drop (mine have), blood sugar/a1c will drop, and blood pressure will drop. You will sleep better and have more energy ability to focus. Panic attacks may also lessen (they have for me). Migraines will subside. Cancer has even been known to go into remission for some people. 

We try to keep things very simple around here and while I do sometimes drink coffee with butter in it, i do not buy any “Keto” products. 

The Atkins diet is technically a ketogenic diet but it is not the recommended path because it is low sugar, moderate fat, and high protein. I won’t get into the boring details as to why this is unhealthy on this forum.

I think what is important to recongnize as well is that not all eating habits work for every person. What makes me feel good might make you feel like garbage. What I find easily sustainable long term, you may think is way to strict. The other issue is that many people don’t bother doing any actual research into the science behind the ketogenic diet, jump on the fad train and end up doing it incorrectly. This leads to heavy calorie deficits and not enough fat which have multiple negative effects on body and mind.

* I did “quit” eating Keto while I was pregnant at the recommendation of my doctor. Then I tested positive for gestational  diabetes (insulin dependent) at 20wks and had to go back to eating low carb anyway.** I have not gone back to a fully “Keto” diet because I am breastfeeding and I am worried if I switch my diet it will effect my milk supply. Overall though, I still eat low carb. Mostly just no white starch or added sugar.

**yes, I know that my gestational diabetes was not the result of upping my carb intake and was mostly just bad luck. 

The fastest way to lose weight is to combine intermittent fasting (at least 16/8 split) with low carb (no need to go keto, but stay in the 50-100g range of carbs per day), moderately reduced calorie and fasted cardio (doing cardio in the morning while you are at the end of your fasting period). Nothing else will come anywhere close to the efficiency of fat loss. But this is very tough and not something I'd recommend to people who aren't truly ready for it.

I always tell people that in my experience, intermittent fasting is the easiest way to "diet" because you're not really dieting per se, you're just restricting your eating into a small timeframe. And if you make it a point to eat well during that timeframe, all the better.

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

The fastest way to lose weight is to combine intermittent fasting (at least 16/8 split)

You made me go look that up (I didn't know what the 'split' was) and I like that info. Thank you! And now I'm off to read about this keto-coffee business so I can insert it in casual conversation

@LegHumperBibleThumper:  I agree with your entire post, but especially with what you said about "one size doesn't fit all" when it comes to how we eat.  For me, the keto or low carb, higher fat does work.  I like it.  I feel better when I eat that way, and I am heathier.  But it's not for everyone.  To each, her own.  :)

Re carbs: I tried drastically cutting how much carbs I eat and noticed that I wasn't getting satiated at mealtimes (I felt the urge to snack a lot more often and more strongly) and I wasn't performing as well as I wanted to be performing while running/at the gym. After adding back in some couscous/brown rice with my meal prep, I realized that I almost instantly felt better: more satiated, more energy. I still do my best to avoid eating tons of bread or simple carbs (at least for most of the week - on Fuck It Friday you can take my kale and sweet potato pizza from my cold dead hands), but keeping some carbs in my diet has really helped. Plus, carbo-loading before a big race is always awesome. My boyfriend's birthday is the night before my first marathon, so we're going to have a fancy pasta dinner both to celebrate his birthday and so I can have all the carbs. 

Also, I let December basically be Fuck It Month because I was traveling a ton and it was the holidays, and I'm half feeling so much healthier and better back on my usual routine (oats with chia seeds and berries for breakfast, chicken and veggie traybake with couscous or lentils for lunch, poached eggs on oats for dinner, then whatever I want on Fuck It Friday but generally keep it to one Fuck It item, like a personal pizza or maybe an ice cream after dinner), and half nostalgic for two weeks ago when I practically ate an entire brunch buffet. 

I do not wonder Paleo is at the very bottom. The “scientific“ fundament is a whole lot of crap and bares any real logic. It sounds kind of logical at first glance but that’s about it. But you can sell almost everything to people and it will continue to be so.

Joy looks so happy with that baby. I hope she continues to enjoy him for many more months/years before adding another one to the family.

I really like Gideon's face,. I cannot put my finger on what exactly it is though. It is so different from all the other Duggar babies and I can pick him out of the crowd. OH and he just has the best smile. It is depressing to think about how he will grow up and what/who he will become, but I am just going to enjoy that adorable smile and forget about it until he is a teen and actually being that person of his own choice.

2 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

I really like Gideon's face,. I cannot put my finger on what exactly it is though. It is so different from all the other Duggar babies and I can pick him out of the crowd. OH and he just has the best smile. It is depressing to think about how he will grow up and what/who he will become, but I am just going to enjoy that adorable smile and forget about it until he is a teen and actually being that person of his own choice.

The Duggar genes seem to be pretty strong, but I think Gideon looks the least like a Duggar out of all the grandkids. I can see Joy/Duggar in him at some angles but he looks much more like Austin.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:16 PM, Knight of Ni said:

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet

Take a look at this link. These are results from a panel of experts in the field who aren’t trying to sell a product. 

As for cleanses. If you have a functioning liver and kidneys you do not need to “cleanse”. It’s just a way to part people from their money. 

The only "cleanse" I would even consider would be what I'm doing now - just trying to be more mindful of my eating, trying to get my 5-7 fruits & veggies, drinking more water and not drinking this month. 

Beyond that - I figure my body knows what it's doing. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived