IGNORED

Joy and Austin 25: Guest Starring Grandpa Munster

HerNameIsBuffy

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I eat lazy keto. Basically I eat more fat than I used to (but from healthy sources like avocado, full cream, nuts, etc) and I eat almost no processed sugar. Because I workout several times a week I eat slightly higher carbs (I try to stay under 50, but I do not track or count anything). I still avoid starchy foods, with occasional exceptions, and I'll substitute various squashes for potatoes in dishes and I pretty much never eat pasta (it makes me feel horrid anyway and I make a mean spaghetti squash meal).

I really don't miss much and I have NEVER had success as I do eating this way. My cholesterol and sugar levels are perfect and I'm the healthiest I have ever been in my entire life. Different things work for different people. I also don't see this as a diet, I just changed how I ate because I felt so terrible and had several health issues. I've lost 68 pounds in two years: slow and steady is the best way to go! I researched keto/low carb a LOT before jumping in and I do not regret it one bit. I'd stay far away from Atkins, though. That said, this certainly is not for everyone and I only recommend it for myself. Diets in general don't work b/c they are short term, and "cleanses" are a bunch of crock.

There's always healthy and unhealthy ways to eat even without "dieting". Basically know your body, talk to your doctor, drink water, eat fresh whole foods, and exercise - if you are able. And indulge now and again because we only live once :)

@VelociRapture and @HerNameIsBuffy

I hope it is OK to ask for advice, tips, or insight---one of my kids is dealing with "nervous stomach" as well.  It came out of NOWHERE last year---we thought something was seriously wrong with him and had all kinds of tests done before realizing that the trigger was anxiety.  I feel so bad for him.  He seems worse, oddly, when doing a fun or happy thing--going to a friend's house, going on a hike with his nature club, etc.  than when it is a more typical anxiety thing, like a test or something.  (His gastroenterologist said that was not untypical.)  Things are better than last year, maybe even just from realizing what we are dealing with, but oh, do I feel bad for him.  His dad has this, too---but untreated and just accepted.  I want better for my kid.  I myself have horrible anxiety, but somehow it doesn't show up in in the digestive system.

You both have my sympathy--it is such a difficult thing to deal with.

6 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

He seems worse, oddly, when doing a fun or happy thing--going to a friend's house, going on a hike with his nature club, etc.  than when it is a more typical anxiety thing, like a test or something.

Sounds like social anxiety.

17 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I hope it is OK to ask for advice, tips, or insight---one of my kids is dealing with "nervous stomach" as well.  It came out of NOWHERE last year---we thought something was seriously wrong with him and had all kinds of tests done before realizing that the trigger was anxiety.  I feel so bad for him.  He seems worse, oddly, when doing a fun or happy thing--going to a friend's house, going on a hike with his nature club, etc.  than when it is a more typical anxiety thing, like a test or something.  (His gastroenterologist said that was not untypical.)  Things are better than last year, maybe even just from realizing what we are dealing with, but oh, do I feel bad for him.  His dad has this, too---but untreated and just accepted.  I want better for my kid.  I myself have horrible anxiety, but somehow it doesn't show up in in the digestive system.

I feel for your son.  I haven't been able to cure mine, but I keep Imodium on me at all times.  Not good to over use, but just in case.

Mine also acts up for social anxiety , or even when I'm totally happy and excited about something.  like. if my adrenaline gets going I need to know where the bathroom is.

the lower my general level of anxiety, the less severe it is.

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I only get symptoms when dealing with high enough levels of anxiety - so either close to or over the amount that causes panic attacks for me. First time I can really pinpoint the vomiting and other symptoms happening was the night I was discharged from the hospital without my daughter after she was born. I had bad anxiety every single day during her week in NICU that turned into full blown panic attacks each night. Anything I ate came back up, I had horrible chills, heart palpitations, couldn’t sleep, and honestly thought I was going to die.

Personally, the only thing that helps is trying to keep my anxiety at a manageable level. I know what usually triggers anxiety for me (caffeinated coffee, alcohol, my toddler’s face showing in photos on Facebook) and that helps me a good deal. I’d suggest really trying to figure out exactly what sets his anxiety off. You mentioned that some social situations can trigger it for him, so that’s a good place to start - is it the activity itself? Is it the specific people he’s with? 

4 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I have (currently undiagnosed) stomach issues. Although it's not good to be used all the time (and can cause pretty severe constipation) you could talk to his doctor about a zofran prescription. I've had one to use "as needed" and it almost immediately keeps me from vomiting when I'm close. I really can't use it often enough to make much of a difference, so I stopped getting it, but if it's a fairly rare occurance (and his dr approves) it may help, or the doctor may have a better recommendation for his specific circumstances. 

I think that photo she shared recently is the most Duggar he's ever looked. Normally I only see Austin and/or Tommy. 

I'm not much of a baby person, I like toddlers and older," but even I think that little Giddy is cute. I love his smile. (Shame about the hateful beliefs.)

I also like seeing a picture of a Duggarson-in-law actually working. 

On 1/6/2019 at 6:02 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

My boyfriend's birthday is the night before my first marathon, so we're going to have a fancy pasta dinner both to celebrate his birthday and so I can have all the carbs. 

Are you running London? If so, I’ll come out to cheer for you!

16 hours ago, Blessings of the Corn said:

I eat lazy keto. Basically I eat more fat than I used to (but from healthy sources like avocado, full cream, nuts, etc) and I eat almost no processed sugar. Because I workout several times a week I eat slightly higher carbs (I try to stay under 50, but I do not track or count anything). I still avoid starchy foods, with occasional exceptions, and I'll substitute various squashes for potatoes in dishes and I pretty much never eat pasta (it makes me feel horrid anyway and I make a mean spaghetti squash meal).

I really don't miss much and I have NEVER had success as I do eating this way. My cholesterol and sugar levels are perfect and I'm the healthiest I have ever been in my entire life. Different things work for different people. I also don't see this as a diet, I just changed how I ate because I felt so terrible and had several health issues. I've lost 68 pounds in two years: slow and steady is the best way to go! I researched keto/low carb a LOT before jumping in and I do not regret it one bit. I'd stay far away from Atkins, though. That said, this certainly is not for everyone and I only recommend it for myself. Diets in general don't work b/c they are short term, and "cleanses" are a bunch of crock.

There's always healthy and unhealthy ways to eat even without "dieting". Basically know your body, talk to your doctor, drink water, eat fresh whole foods, and exercise - if you are able. And indulge now and again because we only live once :)

i love this post.. 

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I think that photo she shared recently is the most Duggar he's ever looked. Normally I only see Austin and/or Tommy. 

Tommy ? Tommy Lee? 

Ive had general anxiety/panic disorder since I was about 8. It got really bad when I was about 20 and I developed horrible IBS. It went on for years, I was having up to 20 bathroom trips a day. Didnt matter what I ate, what I was doing etc. I was on a couple prescriptions for the anxiety and one for the IBS. It really didnt help. When I got pregnant the IBS subsided significantly. My doctor said sometimes hormonal changes can cause IBS or make it better. I was better for several years while I had my 3 kids. Now it comes back when my general stress is higher. I have social anxiety as well and often experience anxiety when something new and exciting is happening. I do think its the caused by adrenaline spikes and cortisol spikes. Probiotics and exercise have helped me some.   

4 hours ago, Jellybean said:

Are you running London? If so, I’ll come out to cheer for you!

Nah, Belfast. Cheap entry, cool city, smaller marathon that will be less overwhelming for my first go-round at it, what's not to like? Maybe I'll go for London next year! 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Nah, Belfast. Cheap entry, cool city, smaller marathon that will be less overwhelming for my first go-round at it, what's not to like? Maybe I'll go for London next year! 

Yay! I’ll be the blonde in a purple electric wheelchair on Tower Bridge with the ‘GO NASTYHOBBITSES!’ sign!

Good luck for Belfast - wishing you fun and good running weather and enthusiastic crowds (and that you don’t lose too many toenails in the aftermath)

Thanks to everyone for sharing ideas about my son's nervous stomach---and my continued sympathies to fellow sufferers.

There is definitely a social anxiety involved, which is hard to understand because he has a lot of friends and is generally a really friendly funny guy.  I'd like him to get counseling to try to come up with some ways of dealing with it---I'd hate to see him miss out on things because of this.  He's a junior in high school and lots of good stuff on the horizon!

35 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

which is hard to understand because he has a lot of friends and is generally a really friendly funny guy. 

believe it or not, that's what a lot of people say about me.

Nothing bad happens to me socially.   it doesn't make sense, but it's there.

Yep! It's so weird. I don't have social anxiety, but I am very introverted. You would never know it just talking to me, though. I'm constantly mistaken for an extrovert. I'm very friendly, I'm talkative, I like being around people and I often take the initiative when it comes to making new friends. But I'm still a major introvert. 

@nastyhobbitses Belfast is my home (for now, damn Brexit)!! I was too excited just now to see it mentioned :D Good luck on your marathon! I will be thinking about you when I inevitably curse it for a street being closed ? and then quietly "oh yes, also go Nastyhobbitses!"

9 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

@nastyhobbitses Belfast is my home (for now, damn Brexit)!! I was too excited just now to see it mentioned :D Good luck on your marathon! I will be thinking about you when I inevitably curse it for a street being closed ? and then quietly "oh yes, also go Nastyhobbitses!"

Haha, thank you! I'm really excited; my two roommates back in New York did a trip around the whole island (NI + ROI) together, and they said they had the best time and the most fun in Belfast, so when I was choosing a marathon to train for in the spring, it wasn't a very difficult choice. As I run along the closed roads, I will be glad to know that there's an FJer out there simultaneously cursing and cheering me on! 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived