IGNORED

Joy and Austin 25: Guest Starring Grandpa Munster

HerNameIsBuffy

4 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

First birthdays ugh, so much stress and usually self inflicted lol. I don't regret it I suppose but never again either.  Also I have an Italian girlfriend and they had 190 people at her son's christening. Makes me feel better because Fuck.That. Poor buggers spent the entire precious day greeting people and worrying about having enough food instead of being able to enjoy it and take it in.

I literally got in my closet and cried on my oldest’s christening day! Way too much.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the 1st year I wasn't with one of my kids for their birthday, DD turned 19 on the 18th and she had to go back to Uni about 2.5 hours away, DH & I both had to work Monday she has classes non stop from noon 6 pm and the weather was absolute shit so we couldn't swing seeing her, we both agreed we didn't like not having her there for her actual B day, even though we just saw her the day before. 

This is just us, I know lots of people who miss them, I don't think I really spent a birthday with my family since I turned 17, I was always away at school or my family was busy doing other stuff. My b-day falls around Labor Day weekend most years (usually 1st weekend in Sept for those not in the US). 

For my son's first birthday, we put the cake in front of him expecting him to grab at it. He wouldn't. I put his hand on it and after touching it a second and looking at his hand with frosting on it, he started to cry. 

For my son's christening and his first birthday, we did the same thing each time: a picnic lunch at my parents', since they have more space than we do. Both times we invited family, plus a couple of friends for the first birthday. Birthday party was nowhere near the actual day of the birthday, though, he's a May baby and the party was in July!

It was a lot of people, but my parents and in-laws did a lot of cooking and coordinating, too.

It really is mostly for the parents and extended family, though. And I couldn't bear the idea of wasting a "smash cake," so I made a batch of cupcakes and just gave him one to poke at.

My son's "smash cake" was a cupcake made of the same batter his cake was. And the cake itself was frosted and then I cut out a number one stencil and put sprinkles on it. And that was it. 

He didn't quite get the cupcake thing - the pics are like "why is everyone... watching...me?" 

But it was a good time. 

I'm surprised now though - how many people are like "can I come to his party?" uh... sure? 

On 2/24/2019 at 2:50 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I love Jessa's defense of her sisters, she is very maternal, I see a lot of myself in Jessa, Motherhood made us both seem to blossom.  I love her devotion to her family and her fierce protectiveness. As horrible as their beliefs are you can see that some of these siblings rally love each other. 

As for Joy & Austin being gone most of the day on G's birthday, while I wouldn't have done it, and most of us here wouldn't have either, these folks don't seem to place as much importance on things like birthdays, or holidays.  Jessa was OK with Jinger getting married on Spurgeon's 1st birthday.  I would have been LIVID if my sister got married on my child's 1st birthday, maybe a subsequent one, but not the 1st. I think it is because WE the parents want/need the party the child doesn't have a clue.  

Yea, I love Jessa always sticking up for her siblings in these things.And really, a 1 year old has zero idea what day their birthday is. Why on earth would it matter to them when it was celebrated?  

My bec comment for today:

I've not been around horses much, but standing barefoot next to one, idk, seems a bit stupid.

Well okay, sandals matching her dress would probably not provide any protection anyway, but still...

Joy is going to need to learn to properly disclose paid content on her Instagram or she'll get in trouble FAST. Judging by the fact that most of her sisters as well as the Bateses also didn't do it when they first started shilling stuff on their IGs, I guess they think the rules only apply to heathens. But some of them seem to have figured it out. Joy should really ask her sister mom for help on how to disclose paid partnerships:

What size shirt is the last one?  It is HUGE on her or I’m looking at the style wrong.

57 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

What size shirt is the last one?  It is HUGE on her or I’m looking at the style wrong.

I think those are called batwing sleeves. The sleeve and the shirt are cut as one piece, instead of the sleeve being a separate piece that is sewn onto the bodice. The area around the underarm is pretty loose, hence the name.

7 hours ago, DillyDally said:

I've not been around horses much, but standing barefoot next to one, idk, seems a bit stupid.

IIRC, there was an episode on one of the full family shows where they visited a farm and were walking around chickens while wearing flip-flops.

Other  than a potential broken foot I would not want to barefoot walk on ground where a horse as probably doodied recently. That maybe just me though. 

Joy really is very pretty, and it looks like her and her sistermom got highlights.  I guess I thought the Use my code "Joy" was the clue that it was a partnership.  I guess I didn't realize you HAD to put #partner in there to have it be "legit". 

12 hours ago, DillyDally said:

My bec comment for today:

I am a person who had a toe broken when a horse I was leisurely walking got a little spooked and hopped to the side.  I was wearing proper boots so when I saw this I cringed so hard! I have zero problem with walking around barefoot, I’m a fan, but speaking from experience a horse is very liable to step on you. I was also bummed to see in a camp promotional video they did that kids were riding without helmets. Horses are big and dangerous, even the most well mannered have accidents!

Joy and safety don't seem to be on speaking terms with each other, I think we have seen enough example by now. That being said, that dress is actually really cute.

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

Wouldn't it be cold walking around barefoot in February/March? JoKen just posted a snow picture? 

I haven't been watching the weather that far south, but when I lived in Oklahoma (similar climate, just a bit west of them) it would be 60s or 70s at times in February/March. I dont remember exact details of when and I dont know it was that warm this year, but i think that it could have been weather appropriate, or just minor boundary pushing (especially if she's looking forward to summer). Not super frequently, but there were occasions around this time of year I'd be barefoot. And the entire interior of the US is prone to HUGE temperate swings, often in very little time, so the recent snow doesn't mean anything about the temp a few days ago.

6 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Joy and safety don't seem to be on speaking terms with each other, I think we have seen enough example by now. That being said, that dress is actually really cute.

Right? This is the girl that does construction in flip flops. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived