IGNORED

Joy and Austin 25: Guest Starring Grandpa Munster

HerNameIsBuffy

22 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Wait.... WHAT? I thought the posts about coffe were sarcasm. I mean it’s coffee. Please tell me you are just spinning the joke on or I will once and for all lose any faith in our future.

or did I get it wrong and coffee is a brand name???

lol no. Unfortunately it's real. They sell 'keto coffee' which I think is basically coffee with butter in it? I'm sure there's other crap in it too, but yeah. It's supposed to help you lose weight. I think It Works sells it.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

lol no. Unfortunately it's real. They sell 'keto coffee' which I think is basically coffee with butter in it? I'm sure there's other crap in it too, but yeah. It's supposed to help you lose weight. I think It Works sells it.

I thought that was a joke!! I have officially seen it all!!

20 minutes ago, mollysmom said:

I thought that was a joke!! I have officially seen it all!!

I’ve seen it in some grocery stores lately too.

My son (the one that passed away) had intractable epilepsy and was on the real ketogenic diet for 18 months.  It is an awful and VERY strict diet that really helps some children with uncontrolled seizures.  It did help my son for a year but stopped being effective for him.  His diet was I think 90% fat if I recall, it was in the mid 90’s so my memory isn’t as sharp. Most of his calories came from a drink that was made of heavy cream, canola oil and diet orange pop. 

I HATE seeing the term ketogenic diet used for weight loss, it’s basically the Atkins diet using a medical diet term.

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah it is ItWorks! Keto coffee and smoothies hun! So easy! 

1 hour ago, TeaELSee said:

My son (the one that passed away) had intractable epilepsy and was on the real ketogenic diet for 18 months.  It is an awful and VERY strict diet that really helps some children with uncontrolled seizures.  It did help my son for a year but stopped being effective for him.  His diet was I think 90% fat if I recall, it was in the mid 90’s so my memory isn’t as sharp. Most of his calories came from a drink that was made of heavy cream, canola oil and diet orange pop. 

I HATE seeing the term ketogenic diet used for weight loss, it’s basically the Atkins diet using a medical diet term.

Yes, thank you. I have read that it can be helpful for people with epilepsy. However, for anyone else it is not a healthy sustainable diet at all. In fact the latest US and News Report diet analysis listed Keto bear the bottom along with Atkins and Paleo. The Mediterranean and DASH diet have been listed at either number one or two for the last 8 years. Considering this I can’t understand why Paleo, Atkins, and Keto continue to be popular. 

34 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Yes, thank you. I have read that it can be helpful for people with epilepsy. However, for anyone else it is not a healthy sustainable diet at all. In fact the latest US and News Report diet analysis listed Keto bear the bottom along with Atkins and Paleo. The Mediterranean and DASH diet have been listed at either number one or two for the last 8 years. Considering this I can’t understand why Paleo, Atkins, and Keto continue to be popular. 

My brother is doing the paleo diet because he wants to lose weight and look muscular. My mom worried about him eating too much red meat and his cholesterol. He thinks he knows better than she does...even though she’s a cardiologist.

I didn’t realize paleo was at the bottom!

46 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Considering this I can’t understand why Paleo, Atkins, and Keto continue to be popular. 

It's an easy way to lose weight while feeling full (not that this should be the only thing people should be considering).

My understanding was that there is some conflicting evidence about red meat raising blood pressure and even cholesterol? (I know this is a hot button issue in health circles.) Especially if it's a paleo diet low in sodium and high in potassium.

Fill disclosure: I eat what would be considered a "revised" paleo diet, or a meat heavy, lower carb DASH diet with my carbs being whole grains. I tried a vegan diet because I was never super into red meat, but my iron completely crashed during my period and I was really tired. And without enough fat, I'm just so damn hungry all the time. I can go through bowls and bowls of pasta.

I'm really interested in health and fitness, but am still a fence straddler on which diet is best for overall health (eating lots of fresh veggies and reducing sugar intake seem to be two points consistent across all diets though so I try to follow both of those).  Most people are doing terrible versions of keto diets. But imo, paleo diets, like vegan diets, DASH, or Mediterranean, can all be open to misinterpretation by people who only want to hear what they want to hear (like the vegan who lives off of Oreos or the Paleo follower who eats KFC all the time.)

26 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

My brother is doing the paleo diet because he wants to lose weight and look muscular. My mom worried about him eating too much red meat and his cholesterol. He thinks he knows better than she does...even though she’s a cardiologist.

Man, now I'm worried if a cardiologist is saying this. Like I said above, I'm not even that into red meat, but it helps me feel less ravenous and seems to help control my blood sugar (and resulting headaches). Right now all my blood work is good and my cholesterol is laughably low, but I'm still pretty young and my mom's family has a terrible heart history. 

I just don't want to end up with congestive heart failure when I could have easily stopped eating meat years ago. 

All these fads just speak to people wanting an easy answer or being drawn in easily. I have real life friends who try plexus and the like. I don’t think they’re dumb... per say, but people get excited about an easy out. My father in law- God bless him - made me watch a two hour infomercial about some new wonder enzyme we’re all supposed to take and lose weight eating twinkies... sigh... when I showed him the reviews and less than 10% were positive he was shocked. It’s just moderate portions, focus on lean protein and healthy fats and fiber... everything in moderation and exercise and water....

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

It's an easy way to lose weight while feeling full (not that this should be the only thing people should be considering).

My understanding was that there is some conflicting evidence about red meat raising blood pressure and even cholesterol? (I know this is a hot button issue in health circles.) Especially if it's a paleo diet low in sodium and high in potassium.

Fill disclosure: I eat what would be considered a "revised" paleo diet, or a meat heavy, lower carb DASH diet with my carbs being whole grains. I tried a vegan diet because I was never super into red meat, but my iron completely crashed during my period and I was really tired. And without enough fat, I'm just so damn hungry all the time. I can go through bowls and bowls of pasta.

I'm really interested in health and fitness, but am still a fence straddler on which diet is best for overall health (eating lots of fresh veggies and reducing sugar intake seem to be two points consistent across all diets though so I try to follow both of those).  Most people are doing terrible versions of keto diets. But imo, paleo diets, like vegan diets, DASH, or Mediterranean, can all be open to misinterpretation by people who only want to hear what they want to hear (like the vegan who lives off of Oreos or the Paleo follower who eats KFC all the time.)

Man, now I'm worried if a cardiologist is saying this. Like I said above, I'm not even that into red meat, but it helps me feel less ravenous and seems to help control my blood sugar (and resulting headaches). Right now all my blood work is good and my cholesterol is laughably low, but I'm still pretty young and my mom's family has a terrible heart history. 

I just don't want to end up with congestive heart failure when I could have easily stopped eating meat years ago. 

My family has a history of heart failure, which is why my mom is concerned. It’s that on top of debate about the effects of too much red meat. He also absolutely loves red meat. So I guess just do routine checkups and cholesterol checks if you’re worried.

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I have type II diabetes, so I eat low carb, high fat.  One way to boost your fat intake is by adding a pat of unsalted butter or coconut oil to your morning coffee.  I do this sometimes.  I've lost weight gradually eating this way, but if that's the only change to a person's normal, average-to-high carb diet, that's unlikely to help them lose weight.

1 minute ago, EmmieJ said:

I have type II diabetes, so I eat low carb, high fat.  One way to boost your fat intake is by adding a pat of unsalted butter or coconut oil to your morning coffee.  I do this sometimes.  I've lost weight gradually eating this way, but if that's the only change to a person's normal, average-to-high carb diet, that's unlikely to help them lose weight.

Exactly. Selling people coffee with butter in it with the expectation that it's going to magically make them lose weight is ludicrous. I eat salmon twice a week, which is very healthy. But if the rest of my diet consists of pizza, beer and peanut butter cups, it's not going to help me all that much!

I do get my blood tested every six months, to monitor my blood glucose and other levels.  I'm in my 50's and have been eating LCHF for over 4 years.  I should exercise regularly but I don't.  My cholesterol levels, blood sugar, liver etc are all well within normal levels.  My diet is heavy on cabbage, cauliflower, avocado, chicken, salmon, pork sausage, macadamia nuts, cheese, lettuce, celery, and cream cheese (I make a lot of sugar free desserts with it).  I avoid packaged "keto " foods for the most part.  

There are a couple of girls at work on the Keto diet.  One has lost weight, about 15 lbs, but, she's basically starving herself.  The other 2 have lost none at all, though they swear they've lost weight and feel like a million bucks.  Well, the dark circles, constant cold and tight clothing tells me different!

These are also girls who really don't have too much weight too lose.  The one that has lost 15, wants to lose 25, which would put her probably down to a size 2-4.  I know everyone knows their own body and 5 lbs can make a difference when you're small, however, these girls are also constantly talking about & doing cleanses, drastic diets ... they lose 10 lbs and gain back 10 within the week they stop and don't understand why.  LOL it's called food, we try to tell them, but they don't get it ... ahhh the ignorance of youth and thinking your body and metabolism will never change.  There will come the day when gaining 10 back will become 15 or 20 and then 25, etc.

3 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I don’t even understand what cleanses are or what they are supposed to do

Count your blessings.

Does colonoscopy prep count as a cleanse?  Because it should!  I have to have a colonoscopy every 3 years and I dread that prep so much.

Just now, EmmieJ said:

Does colonoscopy prep count as a cleanse?  Because it should!  I have to have a colonoscopy every 3 years and I dread that prep so much.

Absolutely it does!

44 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I don’t even understand what cleanses are or what they are supposed to do

Cleanse your body of toxins from bad food apparently. In reality, you're basically starving yourself. 

7 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

If it counts than some of the physical symptoms I get when I have a panic attack should count too. :pb_lol:

(I’m laughing at this because I’ve found laughter helps me cope a bit.)

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

If it counts than some of the physical symptoms I get when I have a panic attack should count too. :pb_lol:

(I’m laughing at this because I’ve found laughter helps me cope a bit.)

I have what one polity refers to as a 'nervous stomach.'. anxiety is an instant cleanse.

I didn't realize the Paleo diet was so poorly rated. That's interesting. I do a modified version when I'm being a motivated human being. I try to cut way down on processed foods, non-natural sugars (I eat alot of fruit), and the grains as a whole. I lost 33 lbs that way and gained maybe 5 back from the few months I stopped. I have high insulin levels related to PCOS and hypothyroidism, and found I did way better eating that way. I had more energy, slept better, and my anxiety was better. Basically my meals were half vegetables and half some form of protein and I snacked on nuts and fruits.

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet

Take a look at this link. These are results from a panel of experts in the field who aren’t trying to sell a product. 

As for cleanses. If you have a functioning liver and kidneys you do not need to “cleanse”. It’s just a way to part people from their money. 

I wish I could make all these "cleanse"-obsessed Pinterest-y lifestyle woo people go through a colonoscopy prep. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived