IGNORED

John David and Abbie 6: Flying Off to the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I just read the recap over at KUWF. Lol. These two are fundie as all get out. They got engaged two months after they met. They saved their first kiss for marriage. Their vows were all about John leading and Abbie following. It’s nice that they seem happy and in love, but I have absolutely zero hope that these two will be anything other than ye olde traditional fundies. 

Just now, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Edit mine. New post count suggestion? ;) 

Ha!  We are so full up on post count titles it will be years before people get to where we have them plotted out otherwise I'd toss it on the list.

16 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

I haven’t watched but I read the recap on tumblr and this is the description of the first kiss. 

Hide contents

815D4FBF-4E92-49F4-872C-052ED3C86E41.jpeg.4c9ae1e72ac151c7b99973e79b5029a4.jpeg

I can’t decide if it’s cute or kinda... weird

I guess I’ll have to actually watch the moment to decide.

Also apparently Abbie called John “Sugar Muffin” on her vows

And they did save their first kiss for the wedding

Oh dear. I'm cringing just from reading all that (including "Sugar Muffin"), so I'm not sure if I can handle watching.

29 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

The wedding mini-episode is up: https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/counting-on/full-episodes/john-david-abbies-wedding-part-1

The first kiss is....up there in the awkward category ?

Honestly, the whole thing was more awkward and uncomfortable than I was expecting. Can’t put my finger on it, just felt like the fundie weddings of old and not the new fancy TLC spin shows. Also, unless I’m mistaken Jill was wearing her MoH dress from Joy’s wedding and Lauren wore one of her bridesmaid’s dresses. 

I feel like the awkwardness is mostly just John David and Abbie's personalities, which are not as telegenic and naturally outgoing as say, Jessa and some of the other family members. I don't mean that as a slight at all, being an awkward, introverted person myself. People would probably wonder what on earth is wrong with me if they saw me in a reality show like this. 

29 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

I haven’t watched but I read the recap on tumblr and this is the description of the first kiss. 

Hide contents

Oh my god I can’t even read this without cringing. That is a very intimate moment between two people that should not be witnessed by millions! I guess if they were known attention whore exhibitionists then maybe I would believe they are totally ok with it. But these two aren’t a couple of Lawson Bateses. 

I’ll forever be on Team Jessa on the first kiss. I wish Jabbie had done the same. 

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh my god I can’t even read this without cringing. That is a very intimate moment between two people that should not be witnessed by millions!

Yes, the more I think about it I keep thinking it is quite intimate. It seems like something people would do during foreplay...

2 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Yes, the more I think about it I keep thinking it is quite intimate. It seems like something people would do during foreplay...

Like humping on a putt putt course? :output_eeMbjt:

Wow, that's an... interesting twist on the first kiss. Just reading that description made me laugh out loud. Can't wait to find a source to watch it.  :popcorn: 

(Not a leghumper, I swear, I'm sure I will have as much secondhand embarrassment when watching as other posters here who were just reading about it)

1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

Hide contents

Oh god. Yikes. I feel kind of violated picturing this in my head. So much cringing. 

33 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Like humping on a putt putt course? :output_eeMbjt:

Exactly.  Not sure why people assume the JD apple fell so far from the tree.  He's been quieter, but that doesn't mean better.  Just means you have no idea what he's thinking.

I’ll never understand how fundies will want their knees or pregnant belly blurred out on national tv but will then do the most intimate stuff with their spouse on national tv! It’s so warped! 

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Exactly.  Not sure why people assume the JD apple fell so far from the tree.  He's been quieter, but that doesn't mean better.  Just means you have no idea what he's thinking.

"Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent."

50 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh my god I can’t even read this without cringing. That is a very intimate moment between two people that should not be witnessed by millions! I guess if they were known attention whore exhibitionists then maybe I would believe they are totally ok with it. But these two aren’t a couple of Lawson Bateses. 

I’ll forever be on Team Jessa on the first kiss. I wish Jabbie had done the same. 

Hands, shoulders, cheeks, mouth.  Is that some kind of ILBP approved foreplay? 

He missed some other pairs to kiss. Feet, knees.... 

On 11/15/2018 at 4:40 PM, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I guess having the choir sing 'Every Sperm is Sacred' would be too Catholic for a fundie wedding... Too bad.

In all my years of being Catholic, and there are many, I have never encountered this hymn. Can you give me the music and lyrics, please? Bwahahahaha!!

I just watched. The lead in to the kiss was so uncomfortable. :brain-bleach: They seem genuinely happy, but they’ve known each other 6 months. Time will tell. 

I think I got BINGO just from the 20 minute special; all the Duggar wedding standards were there. Jim Bob making a stupid speech, Jana rushing to get the flowers done before the ceremony, the groomsmen running late for pictures, discussion of their courtship rules of no hand-holding and saving the first kiss for marriage, et cetera, et cetera.

They briefly talked about their courtship standards and there was no mention of chaperones...so maybe that's something new.

@beepy13 I noticed when they pulled up to the church they were the only ones to get out of the car. I wondered if they didn’t have chaperones, if it was just a scene filmed for TLC, or even if they didn’t have chaperones any more because it was their wedding day.

I knew the only reason I was feeling optimistic about JD and Abbie was because we didn't know enough about them yet.  Now I'm cringing hard.  I think it's cute they worked up to it and didn't just go 0-60 full on kissing action, but that would have been better suited to a Jessa-style private kiss if that's what they wanted to do.  Doing that in public on a stage is getting too close to JB on a Putt Putt course for my liking. 

And Rufus Christ this is a fast timeline.  They started courting one week after meeting, they only courted for 2 months, and JD said they could have gotten engaged sooner, but he was just lining up the bells and whistles?!?  COOL YOUR JETS, EVERYONE.  This is forever, so I think we can all wait a few extra months.  Joy cried when they met?  What is with fundie women and crying at literally everything?!?  Dear god, PLEASE do not let Joy become JRod 2.0 because this is not the first time she has seemed to be on that path to me.  

Also, can we stop with Duggars singing during weddings?  There are better singers in their circle they could ask to sing.  It is simply unnecessary to torture guests this way, and far ruder than any cake and punch reception.  Ditto to "ring pranks".  WE GET IT.  Marriage is SUPER SERIAL, but also a joking matter for the men.  It wasn't really that funny the first time, and between the Duggars and the featured Bates weddings, we're now on lame ring prank eleventy.  Please.  Just some variety.  I beg you.

At least we can now have the Battle of the Muffins.  Jilly Muffin vs Sugar Muffin.  WHO WILL WIN?!?  Also, Sugar Muffin annoys me because it's two pet names in one, and it sounds like it SHOULD be a thing, but it isn't.  All muffins are sugar muffins, and no muffin is specifically a sugar muffin.  This is my BEC moment because I am upset with JD and Abbie for not being who I hoped them to be.  How dare they not conform to my expectations and hold beliefs I hoped they secretly didn't?

Deprived of all further optimism for this couple, I now await their Duggar Standard Pro Choice Social Media Post, which should come within the next few months OR with their pregnancy announcement, whichever comes first.  

I hate to say it....but this wedding reminds me of Josh and Anna more than any other Duggar couple, and I wish it didn't.  

I don’t know, I’m a sucker for weddings, and have a soft spot for JD cause he reminds me of one of my sons —— but I didn’t think it was as cringe worthy as it sounds.

some observations - 

* It was, IMO, the prettiest wedding overall. The flowers, her dress,  the decorations, the candle table, the bridesmaids, the flower girls - all very coordinated and lovely. Jordyn and Meredith seemed to be the Duggar flower girls - may have been another one. The only weird thing I noticed was maybe they ordered Jordyns dress in the wrong size, or she had a huge growth spurt- she had leggings, on a dress that looked like it should have been longer. But that’s a tiny thing. Everything was beautiful.

* The vows did have “lead, your people will be my people” type language - but they were pretty long, and also included a lot of unconditional love,  hold you when you’re sad etc etc.....so definitely old fashioned servant leadership, but the vows overall came across less fire and brimstone than I expected. And there was a joke about JD having more kids than Jim Bob, but it was definitely a joke, and there was no other mention of kids , one way or the other, 

* A drone brought in her ring, that was lame. 

* I don’t like pregnancy speculation on appearance, but every shot of Lauren had something strategically placed in front of her stomach...soooo

* Lauren and Josiah sang a song. She looked adoringly at him, he avoided eye contact, it was funny.

* The kissing the hands , forehead etc, was done in a joking way, with them laughing. Like she kept thinking he was going for a regular kiss- but he’d kiss her cheek or whatever instead. It was dorky, but not sexual. 

* They didn’t run out. That was nice.

* Michelle looked great. 

* No mention of chaperones, but they were short episodes, so who knows.

6 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Joy cried when they met?  What is with fundie women and crying at literally everything?!?  Dear god, PLEASE do not let Joy become JRod 2.0 because this is not the first time she has seemed to be on that path to me.  

Um, this is NOT exclusively a fundy woman thing.  I cry at everything as well, I cry at fucking commercials. Those damn ASPCA where Sarah what's her face caterwauls In the Arms of the Angels, gets me right in the feels. :5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying:

I thought the lead up to the "real" kiss was just an attempt at humor and not as creepy as I was expecting. Like, here's the moment Abbie (and the audience) has been waiting for, but nope! Fooled ya! Kissed her hands. Gotcha again, kissed her shoulders, etc. I think it would've been less weird for me though if he'd skipped the shoulders: hands, forehead, lips. 

I've been to a non-fundie wedding where the groom made it seem like he was going in for a passionate kiss only to plant one on the bride's forehead. Got a chuckle from everybody and a playful smack from the bride.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived