IGNORED

John David and Abbie 6: Flying Off to the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

On 11/22/2018 at 1:54 PM, just_ordinary said:

*I give them (generous) six months till they do something to piss us off big time.

Who wants to start a Gee Whillikers Two People Raised In An Evangelical Cult Hold Hateful And Regressive Views What Are The Odds pool? 

I'll provide some starting options:

Homophobic meme on Instagram

JD spouts off anti-immigrant shit on Instagram

Abbie posts something anti-choice on either Holocaust Remembrance Day (OMG U GUISE ABORTION AND HOLOCAUST ARE SAME) or during Black History Month (OMG U GUISE BLACK PEOPLE SHOULD NOT ABORT WHAT IF HARRIET TUBMAN GOT ABORTED YOU'RE WELCOME LOVE YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD WHITE GIRL WHO HAS NEVER ACTUALLY TALKED TO A BLACK PERSON)

They show visible support for Donald Trump

They go to a majority non-white country for their honeymoon and act with the expected level of cultural sensitivity

Transphobic joke on Instagram or YouTube webisode

Condescending "pray for..." about X Newsworthy Tragedy that implies that the victims deserved it/aren't as worthy of mourning because they weren't "saved"

Condescending "pray for..." about a group of people who are not Christian and presumably do not plan to become Christian

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding "cleave," the word is "dabaq" and it is used quite a few times in the Bible in non-marriage/romantic contexts. https://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/hebrew/nas/dabaq.html

I don't personally think that the book of Ruth is an accurate account of real people (I'm not saying that someone like Ruth definitely never existed at all, just that I'm sure that if she did the account is fairly far removed), so I think what's most relevant what the author intended and I really doubt that the author meant to portray a romantic same-sex relationship in the way we think of such relationships now.

What it definitely does show is devotion between two people, specifically two women, and I have no problem with people, including both same- and opposite-sex couples, finding meaning in that in different ways.

Just managed to catch the wedding on you tube (thank you to whoever posted it we can't get it in the UK).  A few random thoughts are:-

Why do Michelle and JB never have anything original or different to say at the many weddings? It is always the same trite stuff.  

Abbie and John are head over heels in love at the moment and that shines out of them both and is lovely to watch.

Such a shame we had to have the "he will lead, I will follow" nonsense in what were otherwise, lovely vows.

They did not have Chaperones! They were not mentioned in their reply to the  "what standards did you set ?" question. They   arrived at the church alone.  Quite right too, if they are in fact brought up with high standards and faith then why do their own family have not faith in the couples to keep to the standards of behaviour?  

The kissing all over was inappropriate, I think he meant it to be funny but it wasn't.  It was much too intimate and maybe considered to be defrauding to other singles!!  The eventual kiss was passionate makes me wonder if they had really waited (not that they should wait for goodness sake they are engaged to be married and John's own parents kissed - it is a ridiculous rule!)

Mrs Burnett Abbe's mother wore a nice dress, very suitable.  The  whole theme worked. Abbie looked lovely (especially her hair) and it is a great wedding  dress  Really nicely co-ordinated wedding and not obviously fundie. I loved how she stuck her hand in the air in triumph at the end, it  showed a bit of her personality.

Kendra is featured in a video posted on you tube of them flying away from the reception and her dress and hair were lovely, she and Joe are clearly still head over heels.

12 hours ago, Flippyflop said:

Why do Michelle and JB never have anything original or different to say at the many weddings? It is always the same trite stuff.  

Because they do not really know any of their kids on an individual level. Group think and the dilution (too many kids not enough individual parent time) factor is strong in that family cult.

On 11/23/2018 at 3:50 PM, Iamtheway said:

Cool photo and a nice non-offensive first post. We continue to wait for their fall from grace. 

It may take a while, but it always happens. :P *

*Except for Joe and Kendra, I don't know if they have done anything truly offensive yet. But they don't have social media.

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

*Except for Joe and Kendra, I don't know if they have done anything truly offensive yet. But they don't have social media.

Instantly making them the smartest of all the Duggar’s. 

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Because they do not really know any of their kids on an individual level. Group think and the dilution (too many kids not enough individual parent time) factor is strong in that family cult.

I think they know their oldest and youngest. The others are just numbers.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think they know their oldest and youngest. The others are just numbers.

That's funny/not funny, because Josh and Josie are certainly the most *special* kids they have.

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I feel like the "all Duggars love pickles" is an extention of this. Sure, pickles are the family food that the eat a lot of, but there's no way all 19 kids love pickles as their favorite food. A lot of them do, but there's probably a few who just like them okay, and others who are indifferent. Of course, it's easier for JB and Michelle to think of them as one group with some individual variations (like Jessa being high spirited) than as a bunch of individals with some similarities. 

9 minutes ago, BernRul said:

I feel like the "all Duggars love pickles" is an extention of this. Sure, pickles are the family food that the eat a lot of, but there's no way all 19 kids love pickles as their favorite food. A lot of them do, but there's probably a few who just like them okay, and others who are indifferent. Of course, it's easier for JB and Michelle to think of them as one group with some individual variations (like Jessa being high spirited) than as a bunch of individals with some similarities. 

Wasn't "some of them like pickles and some of them don't" literally the example Michelle gave in an early interview where someone asked her about her kids' individual personalities?  :pb_lol:

I'm late to the party. I have just watched the wedding.

I agree with other who have said that there are probably better singers in their circle they could ask to sing. But considering I have no preconcived ideas, I thought Lauren pulled it off quite fine. I was surprised by her voice. I agree, not the voice of the century but to me she didn't hit a wrong note and sounded okay. Far better than Joshua at his wedding!

I couldn't hear Josiah much. He didn't looked too comfortable.

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Wasn't "some of them like pickles and some of them don't" literally the example Michelle gave in an early interview where someone asked her about her kids' individual personalities?  :pb_lol:

I swear I remember it was one of the older boys who used that example as a poor attempt to show how all of them were "allowed" to be "individuals".  I may be incorrect here though.

8 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Didn't they go door to door with anti gay pamphlets from her dad's church? Or am I not remembering correctly?

26 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

Didn't they go door to door with anti gay pamphlets from her dad's church? Or am I not remembering correctly?

I don't believe so.

33 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

I don't know if Joe and Kendra participated, but Kendra's dad and his church did attach anti-gay flyers to people's doors. https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/knwa/church-pamphlet-offending-some-residents/148038088 I wouldn't be surprised if Kendra helped.

On 11/22/2018 at 2:20 AM, Mama Mia said:

Hey, just FYI, I was looking at the Macy’s Black Friday Sales, and —-since Google God’s knows everything — - it let me know that the bridesmaid dress is on a really good sale.  https://www.macys.com/shop/product/adrianna-papell-sequined-tulle-a-line-gown?ID=4838027&CategoryID=80422&RVI=Browse_4&tdp=cm_choiceId~z4838027~xcm_pos~zPos4

I noticed that, too. Was tempted to buy the purple one for future Epilepsy Foundation events I’ll attend. Pretty purple dresses aren’t easy to find on demand!

On 11/20/2018 at 11:12 PM, fluffernutter said:

Mine was crying unconsolably around the holidays because i messed up a sugar cookie recipe. How could I possibly be a good mom if I can't even make a sugar cookie? Ohhhhh the misery!!!!!!! ???

Ah, my downfall was a still-frozen roaster chicken that I was supposed to be cooking for dinner that night. :)

21 hours ago, vspielman said:

I swear I remember it was one of the older boys who used that example as a poor attempt to show how all of them were "allowed" to be "individuals".  I may be incorrect here though.

I'm like 95% sure it was Josh and he said something like "some of us like lasagna and others don't."

3 hours ago, aspie-monkey said:

I'm like 95% sure it was Josh and he said something like "some of us like lasagna and others don't."

I found it. John David cites Jim Bob not liking pickles as an example of how the kids are allowed to express their individuality, and then Josh gets all self-righteous and mentions interests in food as an example of individuality.

On 11/24/2018 at 6:51 PM, Flippyflop said:

J

Abbie and John are head over heels in love at the moment and that shines out of them both and is lovely to watch. 

They did not have Chaperones! They were not mentioned in their reply to the  "what standards did you set ?" question. They   arrived at the church alone.  Quite right too, if they are in fact brought up with high standards and faith then why do their own family have not faith in the couples to keep to the standards of behaviour?  

The kissing all over was inappropriate, I think he meant it to be funny but it wasn't.  It was much too intimate and maybe considered to be defrauding to other singles!!  The eventual kiss was passionate makes me wonder if they had really waited (not that they should wait for goodness sake they are engaged to be married and John's own parents kissed - it is a ridiculous rule!)

I too just got to see it on Youtube.

I said Michelle would say Abbie is "precious." She went with her other word, "sweet."

I thought their vows were really nice. It's their wedding, not mine. At least it didn't talk about repopulating the Earth.

No they don't have faith in GOD to protect their children--it must always be Mom/Dad or other family members. No solo friends--only "family fellowship."

I had no idea from the clip I'd seen that the kissing all over was sooooooooooooo drawn out. That could be considered R rated. But since they are "married" they could have done even more I suppose. Did I miss the gross, seemingly now mandatory all couples kiss scene?

The drone alone would have done it. Didn't need the other stupid ring trick.'

'Siah and his new cling-on singing. Dear God no! As bad as Joshy singing the Pineapple song in his own wedding. UGH. I really cannot stand the "new" 'Siah. Where there was life in his eyes they now seem mean. Sad.

I hope they head out for the REAL mission field with a REAL organization that trains, equips and backs them. A pilot and a nurse could do real humanitarian work like real missionaries do and not just build a house and wait for converts like Jill/whatshisname.

I also recently watched the wedding webisode, and I feel like if JD had just kissed her hands, her cheeks, and her lips, or her hands, her forehead, and her lips, it would've been less awkward and drawn-out. But I will say, I like that Abbie's voice sounds confident and normal. Not the affected, high-pitched breathiness that Michelle and Lauren put on.

Also I know a lot of people have said Abbie's dad looks like an SNL character. Well, to me her mother looks like Ms. Briggs from iCarly. And that was rather jarring to see.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, nolongerIFBx said:

Has anyone seen who the officiant was? I'd swear it was my old youth pastor, Bob Gray III, but he has his own huge church in TX, though it is close to Alert. . .

bob gray.JPG

It looks like Ty Burrell (Phil from Modern Family) with a center part.

3 hours ago, TatertotAsserole said:

It looks like Ty Burrell (Phil from Modern Family) with a center part.

I thought that too! But thought it might have been because I'd just watched a modern family episode hahaha

Shouldn't Abbie and John be home from the honeymoon by now? Were they spotted a nywhere?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived