IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

On 9/12/2018 at 6:35 PM, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

This is the second time recently that I've noticed Derick's tweets/posts mentioning the 'no kids' bit. Sure the boys might not be there, but it hardly cunts as alone time or spending quality time together when sitting in silence in a crowded lecture theatre with a lecturer up front. Well, not my idea of date night anyway. 

I know a couple who have season tickets to Nebraska football. They refer to the games as their "couple time" and/or "alone time". The stadium is always sold out, holds around 90,000 people and the butt allotment per seat is approximately 8 inches. 

Some people have very odd notions of what constitutes being alone. 

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how Jill will handle the fact that client confidentiality will exist and Durrick will not be able to tell her what he's doing or who he's meeting with or why.

7 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I wonder how Jill will handle the fact that client confidentiality will exist and Durrick will not be able to tell her what he's doing or who he's meeting with or why.

Not very well. She seems to be the nosey type, at least on camera.

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

See? This is yet ANOTHER EXAMPLE of the incredibly shitty opinion of Arkansas. There's not a single, legitimate organization in the state that would even consider using the Confederate Battle flag in any capacity.

May I, however, point you (and everyone else) to the state flag of Mississippi?

255px-Flag_of_Mississippi.svg.png

....If you put the white on top it's basically the Confederate flag merged with the Russian flag and damned if that's not what our national flag will probably be by 2020. 

10 hours ago, socalrules said:

I want to know how low are Jill’s standards that going to a class with Derick is seen as a date worthy of posting on social media. Does she think people out there are jealous? I never went on a date with anyone to a class while I was in school and I am pretty sure I didn’t miss out. Once again, they are doing something that benefits Derick and fits into Derick’s schedule. He got to stick to his routine and she just tagged along. When do we see Derick going out of his way for Jill? Of course he would mention he is taking his time out as a law student for Jill. Anyone else want to bet that Jill calls and texts Derick a hundred times a day? 

To the bolded: Considering she's using #besthubbyever on almost every post, she's certainly trying to make people jealous, when the effect is quite the opposite. :my_confused:

8 hours ago, Mela99 said:

If he even chooses to follow that. (or you know...graduates)

So it sounds like it wasn't weird at all that Jill accompanied Derick to class. From the UofA law student on reddit:

One of the professors openly welcomes guests, and if you bring a non-law student with you to class, you won’t be cold-called that day.

That poster also says that

nah, he really isn’t a person that stands out at all, and none of us really seem to care or notice that he’s there. We’re all too busy suffering for that. Haha!

And another UofA law student (in a different year than Derick) commented:

I actually am a law student at the same school as Derick and no, it isn’t out of the ordinary at all for people to bring guests to a class. Most of our professors are very receptive to it, as it gives loved ones an idea of the amount of effort and stress that can be involved with the law school experience. I’m a 3L so I can’t say I’ve seen how he behaves in class personally, but I can assure everyone in this sub that he is not, in fact, being criticized or made fun of for this.

So it’s different for 1Ls (what Derick is) and you have the entire ~120 person class split into two sections of ~60. That 60 person section goes to all of their predetermined first year classes together. Class size varies greatly after your first year. Some of my upper level classes have had as few as 8 people. There’s definitely a sense of community as a 1L and when I say professors are receptive to guests, it’s not as if you can bring a guest every single class. The professor who has the most generous guest policy (the class he brought his wife to) says that you’ll be asked to stop if you’re trying to bring a guest every class period. It’s not really ever a distraction, as most of the time folks who bring guests sit in the back of the class.

It wouldn't have been strange at all to have visitors back when I was in law school. Especially people who had girlfriends/boyfriends/spouses back home and who may have come for an extended weekend visit. No need to ask for any sort of permission though we had very small group seminar classes (fewer than 20 people) and there it would be common courtesy to mention to the prof the class before. Also it's law school, not a prison, why wouldn't they allow people to sit in once in a blue moon?

Having said that, I rolled my eyes hard when I saw it because it's just so...them. I have 2 kids whose ages are very similar to Israel and Samuel and I absolutely understand the value of couple alone time but these two, or actually Derrick specifically, seem obsessed with it. And it's bizarre given that his Mom appears to babysit often and happily so, they can and do leave the kids at TTH, we now know they leave them with Jessa as well, plus who knows how often Jana or the younger girls help out. These two fools have gone out on dates waaaaay more times than my husband and I have in the last few years (plus, you know, I go to my own job and don't sit in at my husband's office) and they behave as if they're chained to those boys. Pretty sad.

When I was in college, family weekend was geared towards freshman. It was timed so that it happened when homesickness hit after the start of college. Starting to feel homesick? Mom and dad are here and you can show them all your classes and new friends!

This wasn't even something that was a big deal for upperclassmen. There was no such thing for my grad school.

11 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Considering she's using #besthubbyever on almost every post, she's certainly trying to make people jealous, when the effect is quite the opposite:my_confused:

Exactly. She is trying to convince herself, not everyone else, that he is #bestpapa/hubby/whogivesashit. It makes no sense to me to say he is the best hubby (I hate the word) because what constitutes best husband differs from person to person. Dorkrick is to me a loser, while Jill would hate my husband who has a dirty job and smokes. So Jill, shut up

Apparently TLC isn’t righteous enough so Derick wants Counting On to move to UpTV. 

Someone seems a wee bit salty. 

BA81554C-49FC-4048-B7F5-D91D342C0F57.thumb.png.6245073e18d84ae9d71d9de75df38c9f.png

Spoiler

C41C7907-B38E-47C0-AAB9-0C5C094F9644.thumb.png.2ae9ec24044efde93e690740a8de35e6.png

I do wonder if Jill has some kind of emotional trauma related to the Josh scandal. Her own mother blamed Anna for Joshes cheating. 

Maybe law school will teach Derick about intellectual property; 'Counting On' was created by TLC, and the Duggars can't just take it and move it to another network. They could always start a different show elsewhere, but even that depends on the nature of their contracts and whether anyone had to sign a noncompete. 

I increasingly wonder if Derick uses public criticism like this as a way to essentially extort money from JB. We tend to assume that they get paid for good behavior, but Derick's willingness to go rogue makes him a major liability, and JB may feel pressured to just keep him happy so he doesn't tell all.

6 minutes ago, Dominionatrix said:

Maybe law school will teach Derick about intellectual property; 'Counting On' was created by TLC, and the Duggars can't just take it and move it to another network. They could always start a different show elsewhere, but even that depends on the nature of their contracts and whether anyone had to sign a noncompete. 

I increasingly wonder if Derick uses public criticism like this as a way to essentially extort money from JB. We tend to assume that they get paid for good behavior, but Derick's willingness to go rogue makes him a major liability, and JB may feel pressured to just keep him happy so he doesn't tell all.

I mean, the Bateses moved to UP with their same production company, but it's a different show, with a slightly different format, and there was a period in there in which they *weren't* creating a show. If they'd started "Counting On" on UP instead of TLC that would be one thing. But since they did start Counting On still on TLC they'd likely have to create yet a third show if they wanted to move unless TLC cancelled them (again) and both networks worked it out.

I think moving to UpTV would kill their ratings, which have already been steadily declining since the creation of Counting On. 

lo8qsknma9m11.jpg

Surprise surprise...even though Derick had a public school education, confirmation they plan to homeschool...

Does he really think Israel and Samuel and El kids 3-5 (stopping there for my sanity haha) will exceed their hell-bound peers with Jill teaching them? Oh wait yes he does. 

On 9/12/2018 at 9:19 PM, JoiseyGoil said:

Since it’s in Arkansas, what percentage of Derick’s classmates have the same views as him? 50% of the men and 30% of the women? Do you think most of his classmates are Trump supporters?

I think this was the quote that sparked the latest defense against Southern bashing. 

While I am completely against Southern stereotyping (I lived in Texas for many years, and no, we didn't all ride horses to school, wear 10-gallon hats, wave Confederate flags, or carry 50 guns) I don't see what was wrong with this statement.  Trump won in Arkansas by close to 30 percentage points, one of the strongest showing of any state. Maybe if the statement had read "the same political view as him" it would have been clearer, but I would think that yes, a good number of Derick's classmates, assuming that they are Arkansas residents, probably are Trump supporters.  That isn't saying they are ignorant, toothless, morons---just that many of them very likely are conservative Republican voters like the Duggars & OfDuggars. :confusion-shrug:

I have read plenty of things on FJ that show a bias against a certain region (and considering the poster's name, I would guess she has heard a ton of regional bias), but I am not seeing it here.

5 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

So it sounds like it wasn't weird at all that Jill accompanied Derick to class. From the UofA law student on reddit:

That poster also says that

And another UofA law student (in a different year than Derick) commented:

New theory- Derick was cold called and either did poorly or felt persecuted, so he heard that he wouldn't be cold called in class with a guest, so he invited Jill.

New theory- Derick was cold called and either did poorly or felt persecuted, so he heard that he wouldn't be cold called in class with a guest, so he invited Jill.

I maintain that he does not have the attitude necessary to survive the Socratic method. You can’t hide behind twitter or your righteous indignation

In my experience, many profs are getting rid of the Socratic method, so it shouldn't be assumed that it's still kicking around in every course. I was at a T14 as well, at a school ranked closer to 1 than 14. I can count on one hand the classes that had profs that still used it and even then, you could pretty easily opt out. It doesn't make you a better lawyer and it's not necessary. I'm a corporate finance lawyer, not a litigator and as such I see very little intrinsic value in it and wouldn't employ it if I was instructing a course either.

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I think this was the quote that sparked the latest defense against Southern bashing. 

While I am completely against Southern stereotyping (I lived in Texas for many years, and no, we didn't all ride horses to school, wear 10-gallon hats, wave Confederate flags, or carry 50 guns) I don't see what was wrong with this statement.  Trump won in Arkansas by close to 30 percentage points, one of the strongest showing of any state. Maybe if the statement had read "the same political view as him" it would have been clearer, but I would think that yes, a good number of Derick's classmates, assuming that they are Arkansas residents, probably are Trump supporters.  That isn't saying they are ignorant, toothless, morons---just that many of them very likely are conservative Republican voters like the Duggars & OfDuggars. :confusion-shrug:

I have read plenty of things on FJ that show a bias against a certain region (and considering the poster's name, I would guess she has heard a ton of regional bias), but I am not seeing it here.

In my case it really wasn't all a response to a particular post (I didn't have a problem with the post you quoted), and I suspect it was similar for others. It's something you just hear a lot about if you're from the south, as you know, so I don't think you can assume that everyone discussing the stereotypes is directly responding to someone on FJ.

And like I said in my post, Arkansas did go to Trump by a large margin, but in Fayetteville itself, where the UofA is located, more voters actually voted for Clinton than for Trump.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:25 PM, louisa05 said:

I know a couple who have season tickets to Nebraska football. They refer to the games as their "couple time" and/or "alone time". The stadium is always sold out, holds around 90,000 people and the butt allotment per seat is approximately 8 inches. 

Some people have very odd notions of what constitutes being alone. 

I think many people with small children define “alone time” or “couple time” as “any time I’m not having to keep someone other than myself alive, and I’m not working or cleaning” - that could be at a football game, movie, mechanic waiting area, walking to the bus stop ......?

Is it just me who thought his tweet about a midterm about two weeks into a semester was... awkward?  Aren't those usually towards the "mid" of the "term"?

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived