IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

My then-boyfriend now husband went with me to class one day. He was a student at the same university and on that morning the power went out. All classes were cancelled except a couple, including my poli sci 101. None of us were feeling it that morning knowing all of our other classes were cancelled (plus, a lecture in the dark is a nap waiting to happen), so when the professor asked questions and no one would answer, my husband did. She loved his participation and would discuss his answers. It was funny to us because the only person participating was the non-enrolled student. She had to know he wasn't a student in that class, but she didn't seem to care.  Whenever she would see him around campus after that day she would chat with him and never acknowledged me.

I would never have let him go in to class with me if it was an upper-level class or one in my major. Jill going to a graduate level class with Derrick when she's had no post-high school education herself is sad in many ways. It's obvious her mind is hungry for knowledge and looking back at older photos, she was glowing while working on midwifery. She enjoyed education.  It's truly a shame she hasn't been granted the opportunity to pursue education.  We joked about her being clingy enough to go to class with him, but now we have proof.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Margaret Cho is an FJer. It’s the only explanation. ?

That makes me think of Kathy Griffin being a member of Oh No They Didn't during Live Journal's golden days.

At my university they don't have a policy against bringing people to class, I have seen parents around campus with their kids in the event of them having no childcare. When my dad was studying Stain glass design at college he asked if he got permission to bring my sister one day, she was studying Art at school and was interested in seeing the different classes my dad was taking. 

If Jill was curious about what classes Derick is taking and wanted to experience campus life then I have no issue with her going to class. If she was doing it to spy on Derick and see if any female students dressed conservatively then that is a different issue. 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Rachel333

Thank you. I have spent my entire life explaining and defending Arkansas against these stereotypes and condescending opinions.

There are educated, uneducated, liberal, conservative, moderate, Christian, Jewish, agnostic, Muslim, Hindu, atheist, Druid, black, brown, white, short, tall, criminal, law-abiding, fat, thin, mean, kind, ugly, beautiful people in Arkansas.

I am so sick and fucking tired of the unwarranted negative opinions that are formed from hearing jokes and listening to/believing without question the media, and not from first-hand experience with the good people of the state where I grew up. 

I'm from MO and feel the same way. Everyone thinks I'm from a field full of cows. No, actually I'm from a large, diverse city (~half million people), but okay. 

(Can't believe this is what finally brought me out of lurkdom ? )

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Rachel333

Thank you. I have spent my entire life explaining and defending Arkansas against these stereotypes and condescending opinions.

There are educated, uneducated, liberal, conservative, moderate, Christian, Jewish, agnostic, Muslim, Hindu, atheist, Druid, black, brown, white, short, tall, criminal, law-abiding, fat, thin, mean, kind, ugly, beautiful people in Arkansas.

I am so sick and fucking tired of the unwarranted negative opinions that are formed from hearing jokes and listening to/believing without question the media, and not from first-hand experience with the good people of the state where I grew up. 

There are far too many people on FJ who, partly due to their interest in a handful of WHITE fundy Protestant families, have convinced themselves that the entire American south is 100% white fundy Protestant Christian.  

Pretending racial, ethnic and religious minorities in the American south don't exist because we don't fit your easy stereotypes is pretty f**king insulting.  

One main consideration is the size of the lecture hall, that particular one has shown up several times on the UArkLaw Instagram (or perhaps they have a few identical ones). 

Here is a photo to give you a perspective of how crowded it is daily, there appears to be a few rows of overflow blue seats in the back, but the main seating area, with tabletops for notes and laptops is usually full with only a handful of empty seats.  As full as it is, I am doubtful any kind of open invitation is made by the law school, even on family week. 

Certainly, in this situation if you were going to visit, you should sit in the blue seats or far off to the side and still likely clear it first with the professor. 

Not sit, freaking dead center in the some of the best seats in the class.

F8549CAC-F692-4B06-9E6A-C6600D8904E4.jpeg

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Rachel333

Yeah, my dad and his family are from Arkansas, I lived there (in Fayetteville) for the 1st 3 years of my life, but the only town in AR I remember is Camdon, where my grandparents lived and it was a shithole small town in rural central AR but you can't judge the whole state on 1 small town, and I've been in parts on my way to other states and a lot of the state is very pretty with the hills and trees.

I've had some experiences with myself/others bringing people to class, and it's ALWAYS been something to clear with the professor first. The two I clearly remember are when I was studying abroad a classmate took her boyfriend with on a class trip to Florence for art history. Those trips involved touring churches and museums in the city while the professor lectured about the art and artists. He paid his own way while all our tickets were covered by tuition and fees.  He was interested in that when he visited, but did not attend any ordinary classes with her.

The other that stands out is a friend of mine who was taking a hiatus from school was interested in a history of sexuality class I was taking. It was a small class (I think 12ish people) so I gave her the professor's email so she could ask her about attending a class or two to see if she wanted to audit it (I believe there was a small fee to audit a class at my university, and it was not allowed to audit some classes such as science labs. It was up to each prof to decide if and how many could audit any given class).

This makes me wonder if it was something that Jill is interested in that day and they cleared it like responsible adults, or if she just showed up and didn't care about the lecture/got in the way of paying students. I expect it's the latter, knowing how they tend to opperate.

I've been thinking about this, and I actually did go to one of GryffindorDisappointment's dad's (he's not my hubby anymore, in fact, he'd be #shittiesthubbyever) classes while we were in college. It was his ROTC class, and I went (with the First Sergeant's permission) to participate in a rappelling exercise from their rappelling tower. Was fun. Was also not the only girlfriend present. lol

Ok I just caught up on the Dillards from thread 63. Lots of thoughts but I will just comment on the "naturalized uncle" thing. I am an only child, but Neuroboy has three siblings. The thought that I will probably one day be an aunt is AMAZING to me. I look forward to it and didn't know if I would ever get to have that experience. I have already been overwhelmed by the love from my siblings-in-law and while I still am cautious about over-stepping, I can say I look forward to being around them and their kids and we grow older. 

So it's a super minor thing because Derick says so many awful things and he probably wasn't even trying this time, but F you Derick. An uncle is an uncle is an uncle, and some aunts/uncles aren't "blood" or even married in (like honorary)! They are adults who love you and your children, and whom you presumably love in return. That is a beautiful thing - no need to tier it.

3 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Ok I just caught up on the Dillards from thread 63. Lots of thoughts but I will just comment on the "naturalized uncle" thing. I am an only child, but Neuroboy has three siblings. The thought that I will probably one day be an aunt is AMAZING to me. I look forward to it and didn't know if I would ever get to have that experience. I have already been overwhelmed by the love from my siblings-in-law and while I still am cautious about over-stepping, I can say I look forward to being around them and their kids and we grow older. 

So it's a super minor thing because Derick says so many awful things and he probably wasn't even trying this time, but F you Derick. An uncle is an uncle is an uncle, and some aunts/uncles aren't "blood" or even married in (like honorary)! They are adults who love you and your children, and whom you presumably love in return. That is a beautiful thing - no need to tier it.

My fiance's favorite aunt was married to his mom's brother, and has remained an aunt to his family after they divorced and she remarried. Her kids with her 2nd husband are still his cousins, and her 2nd husband has become his uncle. 

9 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Family weekend is a thing at University of Arkansas?  Their law school too?  Why?  

I've attended three old, respected universities and none of them had anything akin to family day.  It (IMO) seems a bit lowbrow.

I attended a California State university back in the early 90's, and they had a family week-end full of various special events.  Two of my other siblings attended the same university (at different times).  Our parents didn't attend any of those family week-ends - it just wasn't their thing and it didn't bother me, nor my brother, and I don't think my older sister cared much about it either.   But lots of parents and younger siblings did show up and it was always well-attended.  I was a little surprised that a law school would have a family week-end because those students have already gone through four years of undergraduate work, and had plenty of chances of family week-ends during that time.  

I appreciated the info about how class seating often works in first year law school classes.  I didn't know that there would be assigned seating.  So if Jill sat through that class shown in the photo, either he has an empty seat next to him, or perhaps that picture was taken before class began and then she went and sat in an empty seat further to the back while class was in session (?).  

Why couldn't they wait until Saturday to ask Jessa to babysit, and then have their date time?  Why did it have to occur on a day when Derick has class?  

I used to get crippling panic attacks, especially throughout middle and high school (think 5+ a day- exhausting) and ended up finishing high school at home. I thought I would never be able to attend college and had no idea what to do. I ended up discovering cognitive behavioral therapy, and part of that therapy was finding a way to attend a class. My friend was nice enough to explain the situation to her professors and i was able to attend her small lectures. It was a great immersion type therapy and now it’s probably been about 8-10 years since I’ve had any anxiety attacks and I have a year left till I graduate with my BSN. So that’s my random tidbit about dropping in on classes and how happy that I was able to. The situation with Jill seems odd though. I think I’m way more bothered by the fact that Derick always seems excited to be away from his kiddos. I just don’t get it. 

Her tagging along with him is pathetic imo. Is that supposed to be a consolation prize? Does she not trust skelator around other women?

11 minutes ago, Timetraveler said:

I find Derick so...weird and annoying. To me, he is on the same level of weird and annoying as this couple:

Lord have mercy they are ANNOYING!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Timetraveler said:

I find Derick so...weird and annoying. To me, he is on the same level of weird and annoying as this couple:

WTF did I just watch?

In regards to the incredibly annoying video @Timetraveler posted... they talk about God not giving you more than you can handle and trusting him as to when to get pregnant. They say that God will only give you kids when you're ready, and they haven't gotten pregnant yet in 9 months off birth control, so obviously it works! (Has anyone told them that any time frame up to a year of trying is considered normal when trying to get pregnant? Because nine months without a pregnancy isn't proof of jack shit). I wonder if Derick actually, genuinely believed that when he first got married. I wonder if he really thought, once he got married and started some God-sanctioned boning, that they would only get pregnant when both of them were ready to become parents. Like, did he imagine they'd get pregnant in six months, or a year? Did he think God would hold off on that process for a bit? Or did he genuinely believe at that time that he was ready to be a parent? And now, with two kids that he doesn't seem particularly thrilled with, does he still believe that?

Also, I don't know what the bible says about birth control, but it's pretty specific about tattoos. Do I smell a hypocrite in that video?

5 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Please tell me that’s not a confederate flag in the classroom. 

If you're referring to the one in the pic of J&D in the classroom, no, it's the state flag of Arkansas. Which is pretty terrible, but is not a confederate flag.

Classroom flags:

Flags in Classroom.PNG

Arkansas state flag:

AR State Flag.PNG

How could either one of them think a classroom "date" was a good idea? They are bizarre.

How many years has Derrick had braces now? I got braces as an adult and while it felt like forever no way were they on this long.

@metheglyn oh well, fair enough, they can have their state flag, I just saw the stars and was like “oh no, please don’t” 

Also a genuine question because I’m curious, hopefully phrased in a non-offensive way: why is there an American flag in the classroom? Is it to remind people to have pride? Or to get people thinking about what they can do for their country? Here in the UK we don’t really have the flag a lot of places, and definitely not in classrooms, so I don’t really understand what it is doing in the classroom. What is the reasoning behind it? 

1 minute ago, SorenaJ said:

@metheglyn oh well, fair enough, they can have their state flag, I just saw the stars and was like “oh no, please don’t” 

I can see why you'd think that, given that the southern cross confederate flag does have white stars in blue bars on a red background. Thankfully, the one in the classroom has enough white on it to indicate that it is indeed the Arkansas state flag, which makes much more sense in a state public university. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived