IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

I am in grad school and we just had our first midterm :) it depends more on the length of the class than the length of the semester.

Is it just me who thought his tweet about a midterm about two weeks into a semester was... awkward?  Aren't those usually towards the "mid" of the "term"?

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Is it just me who thought his tweet about a midterm about two weeks into a semester was... awkward?  Aren't those usually towards the "mid" of the "term"?

It can just mean any tests that aren't final exams.

In my law school, for the majority of classes, there were no midterms. Your entire grade was based on the final. We had one midterm for first semester Contracts the first year, which was about 25 multiple choice questions and likely not worth more than 20% of your grade. The other one was for Evidence second year which was the same a multiple choice test that was only a small part of your grade. Otherwise it was three hour finals with multiple essays for every class other than Legal writing and trial advocacy.  

I doubt Derick had a real midterm two weeks in. It might have been a quiz to see how students are processing the material or to scare them to realize law school is harder than college and you have to put more work into it. I think Derick tends to exaggerate things to make it seem he is workingharder than others, smarter than others,  the one who can save others and should be admired for it. He reminds me of the guy who will be the hero in all his stories.

13 minutes ago, muggleborn said:

Saw this posted on previously tv. Izzy worrying about who will take care of him if Jill doesn’t get up.

There are SO many things running through my head after watching this:

1- Derick is so used to being “on-camera” that he sees nothing AT ALL weird about being “interviewed” by Jill. 

2- Derick and his hands in his pants pockets. Ugh. I just can’t deal with that. That’s probably my military family upbringing though. 

3- Derick trying to “interpret” Israel’s conversation. 

4- Is that Israel’s bedroom? Is he sleeping on a deflated air mattress? Not a real bed?

49 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

4- Is that Israel’s bedroom? Is he sleeping on a deflated air mattress? Not a real bed?

It's gotta be that they've just had guests. That or more grist for the rumour-mill that the DIllards' marriage is not too hot.

I don't understand why Jill can't take cues from her kids. Israel was so done ('bye. BYE.') but she just had to try to squeeze those 2 mins of content out of him. She's not gonna get cute moments out of those kids under duress, and this was frankly boring as hell to watch. If she had any concept of quality control she just wouldn't post it.

Ugh, Derick's body language. The crossed arms just seem so hostile to his poor kid who seemed groggy and out of it. 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I was thinking the same thing, but I hope it isn't. If it is, it looks like it is doubling as a home office with the computer and shredder and financial documents. I would not put it past them though.

47 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

If she had any concept of quality control she just wouldn't post it.

The Duggars have always struck me as being much more into quantity than quality.

Jessa catches her kids being cute. Jill tries to force it. I'm sure Jessa has discarded many clips that didn't work out. Jill just keeps on when her kids have obviously lost interest.

17 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Yes, some do. Yours won't given how little education their teacher had.

I wonder if Jill will borrow her mother's unused "Wisdom Booklets" or use a real curriculum? (and by real I mean NOT anything to do with    IBLP

It seems like Jill was trying to force Izzy to say that his Dad actually did some parenting in the morning. But the "what does Papi do for you in the morning?--Tell me, quickly" was so off-putting. Like her voice got all stern and a little threatening given the history of obedience must be cheerful and immediate. Ugh. He doesn't want his dad to leave and he's sleepy. Just let him run around.

She is SO, SO, SO bad at this! She makes me feel like a pro with my grainy, unfocused, always catch the back of someone’s head photos and videos of family who HAD been being hilarious or sweet and are now just chewing or staring into space.  But I generally just don’t post any of that, and share the decent stuff  someone else captured instead. Or a meme. Maybe she could share memes, but I  bet she’s super awkward with those too. 

So apparently the standards for #bestpapaever  are to pour a bowl of Cheerios,  a vitamin and turn on the television...before leaving the house to go to your current job avoiding activity.       

That can't be right because I suspect gay parents are completely capable of all those tasks.  Hell, they might be able to manage that morning routine AND go to work.

1 hour ago, neurogirl said:

It seems like Jill was trying to force Izzy to say that his Dad actually did some parenting in the morning. But the "what does Papi do for you in the morning?--Tell me, quickly" was so off-putting. Like her voice got all stern and a little threatening given the history of obedience must be cheerful and immediate. Ugh. He doesn't want his dad to leave and he's sleepy. Just let him run around.

Like she was ready to whip out her training blanket and scream military style ISRAEL WHAT DOES PAPI DO FOR YOU??!!

Derdork was so annoyed and hostile toward Israel and even Jill at one point, this video disturbs me like all the rest. They are such unnatural parents. Poor Izzy, I feel you hiding under the table little guy

1 hour ago, Fjrocks said:

So apparently the standards for #bestpapaever  are to pour a bowl of Cheerios,  a vitamin and turn on the television...before leaving the house to go to your current job avoiding activity.       

That can't be right because I suspect gay parents are completely capable of all those tasks.  Hell, they might be able to manage that morning routine AND go to work.

So sad that #bestpapaever prefers #nokids. 

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

She is SO, SO, SO bad at this! She makes me feel like a pro with my grainy, unfocused, always catch the back of someone’s head photos and videos of family who HAD been being hilarious or sweet and are now just chewing or staring into space.  But I generally just don’t post any of that, and share the decent stuff  someone else captured instead. Or a meme. Maybe she could share memes, but I  bet she’s super awkward with those too. 

Bet we could make memes out of her and she wouldn't get it

6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Derick and his hands in his pants pockets. Ugh. I just can’t deal with that. That’s probably my military family upbringing though. 

I have an uncle who served in the army and he was constantly telling us to keep our hands out of our pockets, to the point it became a kind of joke in our family. A couple of years ago, I was walking and tripped. I totally ate pavement and really messed my face up. When he saw me and heard the story, the only thing he had to say was “did you have your hands in your pockets????”  Yes. Yes, I did.  :laughing-rollingred:

Derick looks like a person who hates kids and is trying to interact with one and not be a total asshole. You can almost feel his impatience as Izzy struggles to get the words out. And holy shit with Jill interviewing Izzy.

17 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I think many people with small children define “alone time” or “couple time” as “any time I’m not having to keep someone other than myself alive, and I’m not working or cleaning” - that could be at a football game, movie, mechanic waiting area, walking to the bus stop ......?

They are empty nesters. She is actually retired. So, no, they are just weird. 

I think the saddest thing about this video is the quick glimpses of Izzy trying to be a regular kid. Trying to tell his dad something he feels is really important. Trying to play hide and seek (he's grinning and laughing when Jill "finds" him). The more Jill repeats her question and the more stern her voice becomes, you just see that (totally age-appropriate) playfulness melting away. The kid literally crumbles before our eyes. 

(Also, on the tone of voice and the "tell me, quickly," seriously, Jill, he's 3 years old.  Sometimes 3 year olds don't respond to your question. Sometimes they give you a goofy answer. They're learning how the world works, they're learning how to interact with people. Your question is not important enough to merit an immediate answer, and even if it was, the way you're talking to him is totally inappropriate for explaining to a child of that age why you need an answer right now)

2 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Derick looks like a person who hates kids and is trying to interact with one and not be a total asshole. You can almost feel his impatience as Izzy struggles to get the words out. And holy shit with Jill interviewing Izzy.

I think Derick wanted sex and didn't think through that babies/children would be the trade-off. 

27 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I think Derick wanted sex and didn't think through that babies/children would be the trade-off. 

Derick probably also assumed that having a "traditional" wife meant that she would do all the childcare and he would just show up at will to be in charge, quote the Bible, and be adored.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived