IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

I just don’t understand why someone who doesn’t believe in divorce and think their spouce was gifted to them by God himself to spend eternity with needs a marriage where it’s harder to divorce. 

”We are so godly! Divorce is only for heathens, not for us. We will obviously never divorce, because Jesus. But just in case ...”

:think:

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got got married TWICE in Arkansas, and never heard of a covenant marriage until the Duggars did it.

*Covenant marriage started in Arkansas in 2001. I got married in 1989 and 1999, so there's that. lol

To me, covenant marriage is just a smug way to present yourself as more holy than anyone choosing a regular marriage. I admit I would be irritated / amused by any young couple so sure they had all the answers to forestall any question of divorce. 

@VelociRapture wrote: "Jill is wildly inconsistent with her posts."

That's almost an understatement.

Jill's biggest social media fails typically involve her attempts to make Derrick look like a good father and husband.  She rationalizes and compensates for him, which only draws further attention to what looks like major conflict in her "perfect" fundy marriage.   It's her pathetic effort to present a pig's ear as if it were a silk purse that usually grabs my attention.   She seems so desperate at times that it's downright painful to watch.

It's difficult to look at posts of the Dillard kids objectively because they are so often presented as a reflection on DerJill's marriage and parenting, which comes across as anxious and controlling.  Jill's kids are seldom presented as little persons in their own right, left to their own devices, relaxed and doing their thing.  This is the formula that works so well for Jessa. The shot of Israel in the USPS van is unique in that Jill shows us a kid engaged in being himself rather than staged as a prop in the family drama.  Unfortunately, she doesn't take this approach nearly enough to presenting her kids on social media.

I wonder if Izzy realizes that all "mail men" aren't men.  My mom was a letter carrier for years and after that, postmistress in several small SC post offices.  Her uniform was a blue shirt (usually short sleeved, but long during the winter) and either blue gray shorts or long pants.  She had the option for wearing  skirt, but that was not my mom.  Her older sister also became a letter carrier.  The post office ran in their blood: two of their brothers worked for the USPS. my aunt's oldest son did, as did my daughter in the university PO when she was at Clemson.

My mom was also secretary of their local of the National Association of Letter Carriers and was the first woman letter carrier in my hometown.  My aunt may also have been a pioneer in that regard in the town she lived in.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:26 PM, DarkAnts said:

Her own mother blamed Anna for Joshes cheating. 

Whoa! Michelle blamed Anna???? This is the first time I’ve heard that.

1 hour ago, Foudeb said:

I think the point of covenant marriages is that gay people aren't allowed them and discrimination is holy. Or something. 

It started in the midst of Don't Ask/Don't Tell, the Lewinsky scandal, Newt Gingrich's "family values" crusade to shove faux piety in heathen's faces. ?

2 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

I don’t think that’s true, or at least we don’t know that it’s true. But it would be characteristic of their belief that female behavior affects male sexual behavior- don’t defraud, be joyfully available, etc.

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

My mom was a letter carrier for years and after that, postmistress in several small SC post offices.

Do aliens from outer space really sort the mail like in "Men in Black"?

I have mentioned before a friend who married in a covenant marriage in Arizona in 2008. The covenant part of the ceremony was just an insufferable part of what was otherwise a beautiful wedding celebration. We lost touch. I crossed paths with her on Facebook in 2015. Lo and behold, she was now "covenantly" divorced. So yes, I think this was just to appear pious.

4 hours ago, Drala said:

It's difficult to look at posts of the Dillard kids objectively because they are so often presented as a reflection on DerJill's marriage and parenting, which comes across as anxious and controlling.  Jill's kids are seldom presented as little persons in their own right, left to their own devices, relaxed and doing their thing.  This is the formula that works so well for Jessa. The shot of Israel in the USPS van is unique in that Jill shows us a kid engaged in being himself rather than staged as a prop in the family drama.  Unfortunately, she doesn't take this approach nearly enough to presenting her kids on social media.

I think many people, Jill included, believe it's easy to present themselves well on social media.  But it isn't.  Starting with the basics of photography and what is appealing versus what is not.  Blurry photos, poor lighting, or any photos that involve your baby/child appearing to be in distress --- should not be included in your attempts at social media.  Pictures of unappealing food dishes you've concocted.  Pictures that show dirty diapers in the background, etc.  I am a crappy photographer.  I know this.  I accept this.  Every once in awhile, I take a good photo and then I put it up on my FB page.  This is an infrequent occurrence.  This is one of the many reasons why I choose not to share my life on social media with anyone but friends and family.  

I know Jill has her share of fans and leg humpers, so I get why she keeps posting photos and updates.  I wish she felt the desire to step away from the public persona and just be.  Take the time to simply focus on life, raising her kids, and no longer needing public approval and response.  I guess that is hard to do when you've been on public display for much of your life.

4 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

I think the "Michelle blaming Anna" may be a headcanon based on multiple tabloid articles, such as this one:

https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2017/04/jim-bob-and-michelle-duggar-blaming-anna-for-joshs-cheating/

I find that Jill inserts herself into too many posts (with her mouth hung open, of course) or inserts Derick in, it just doesn't look natural. It looks forced and cringy. When she focuses on her boys and makes sure that the picture isn't blurry or dark or whatever else she manages, it's decent.

Thought: Since regular marriage isn’t holy enough for these fundies, can they just let the gays have it? 

Everybody wins! (Except conservative Christians when they try to get divorced and realize they screwed up) :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, caitrona said:

It started in the midst of Don't Ask/Don't Tell, the Lewinsky scandal, Newt Gingrich's "family values" crusade to shove faux piety in heathen's faces. ?

Ah, Newt Gingrich, the devoted romantic who knows that the perfect time to serve your wife divorce papers so you can marry your mistress is when she's in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery. And then cheat on the mistress/Wife #2 with a congressional staffer young enough to be your daughter while simultaneously being the ringleader of a media circus concerning the president's extramarital affair...and then officially dump Wife #2 for your nubile intern a couple months after Wife #2 gets diagnosed with MS. What an upstanding gentleman he is. 

6 hours ago, Lizzybet said:
On 9/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, DarkAnts said:

Her own mother blamed Anna for Joshes cheating. 

Her own mother = Suzette Keller. Did she blame Anna?

24 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Ah, Newt Gingrich, the devoted romantic who knows that the perfect time to serve your wife divorce papers so you can marry your mistress is when she's in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery. And then cheat on the mistress/Wife #2 with a congressional staffer young enough to be your daughter while simultaneously being the ringleader of a media circus concerning the president's extramarital affair...and then officially dump Wife #2 for your nubile intern a couple months after Wife #2 gets diagnosed with MS. What an upstanding gentleman he is. 

An incredible record. Truly outstanding. :D 

It kind of reminds me of the (UK) Tory party in the early 90s (when John Major introduced the 'Back to Basics' campaign which was meant to promote traditional values - and everyone read 'traditional values' as the well-worn euphemism it often intended to be). 

And of course the success of that campaign was similarly undermined by an absolute plethora of scandals, primarily of the sex variety.  Plus ca change.

18 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I posted a similar concern a page or two back.  WHY would the kid worry about this, unless it has happened before?  He would have no point of reference unless he had experienced it.

This is not going to end well, IMHO.

He is worried for a perfectly normal, 3 year old reason. His routine is changing because his Dad usually does the morning stuff. Which makes perfect sense because they have a 1 year old that Jill might still be nursing at night - or maybe Derick is just a morning person, and Jill is not. Derick will now be leaving for school early. That makes Israel sad ( because he’ll miss him) and/or anxious ( because change is hard for a lot of kids that age ) . He’s expressing it in worry about how things will work. That’s completely typical. Jill and Derick should have spent more time reassuring him, and less time trying to capture it.

1 hour ago, snickerz said:

Her own mother = Suzette Keller. Did she blame Anna?

In this case the "her" was Jill, so it would be Michelle.

And as far as I'm aware we don't actually know that Michelle or Suzette blamed Anna.

Not content to let Jeremy have all the attention for being an awful person, Derick retweeted this satiric article about Kavanaugh.

cLeaT0H.jpg?1

U.S.—In a shocking, exclusive new revelation, sources have reported to us that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh may have cheated while playing “The Floor is Lava” during his childhood.

Republicans have been trying to push Kavanaugh’s nomination through, but if these allegations turn out to be true, it’s clear that any senator with a shred of ethics left must vote “no” on his confirmation.

Multiple witnesses claim a 7-year-old Kavanaugh leaped from the couch to a pillow on the floor, but his foot clearly touched the carpet, rendering him “out.” However, the boy didn’t quit, but claimed he didn’t touch the carpet, saying “Nuh-uh!” when his friends pointed out the rules violation. “I totally didn’t!” he said. “My foot was like a million miles away from the lava. I’m still in, suckers!”

“We can’t in good conscience put a man on the Supreme Court who broke the sacred rules of ‘The Floor is Lava,'” Senator Dianne Feinstein said Friday in response to this new allegation. “The stability of our Republic is in jeopardy should we vote to confirm this evil man.”

At publishing time, new allegations had surfaced that Kavanaugh had utilized the Konami Code to beat Contra on the NES while in college

The author is trying to minimize the seriousness of what Kavanaugh is actually accused of, which is a brutal attempted rape, by comparing it to minor childhood antics.

A friend in Ohio some how added some sort of covident clause in her marriage vows it was maybe 5 or 6 years ago and I didn't know what the hell it was but they signed what seemed like an extra contract and there were extra vows for it. Anyone hear of anything like that before? I was too interested in the open bar to research at the time. 

12 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Not content to let Jeremy have all the attention for being an awful person, Derick retweeted this satiric article about Kavanaugh.

cLeaT0H.jpg?1

The author is trying to minimize the seriousness of what Kavanaugh is actually accused of, which is a brutal attempted rape, by comparing it to minor childhood antics.

Men like Derick consider attempted rape to be on the same level as childhood antics. Just look at how quick they all were to dismiss Joshley’s incestuous groping of his sisters as no big deal. 

They all undervalue women’s lives and experiences.

Wow Derick's tweet equating sexual assault to a childhood game is just beyond horrible considering Jill's (childhood) history. WHAT THE ACTUAL F DUDE

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived