IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

So many bad choices were required to produce this monstrosity, and I'm sort of impressed that Jill managed to make all of them.  At least there's a "theme"?  I just wish the theme wasn't "why would you do this".

Spoiler

2018-09-10_14-43-46.jpg.e41d1f67e0e31f079544b74a8f9d7b16.jpg

Continuing from:

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would get a we and a team effort, if I felt that they were supporting each other. I think Derick thinks about Derick and Jill thinks about Derick, Israel, Sam, and then herself. I doubt Derick will ever thank Jill for all the crap she has put up with for him. 

21 minutes ago, Fjrocks said:

I think she remembered what he did for her educational goals, and did exactly that for him. ?‍♀️

2C2E8B8B-82A3-4086-B3C5-309A1F11752B.png

Eh. My money's on Derick NOT doing that - I'm sure Jill's daughters made it. But he likely took the credit.

It's such a tweeny thing to do. To make one then to share it. The sad thing is Jill would've probably made this whether or not she had kids to include or not.

When a couple says things like "we are in law/med/vet/whatever school" when it's really just one of them in school it's almost always the husband who is the student. I actually don't think I've ever seen it the other way around. I've seen women describe themselves as a "law school wife" but haven't seen "law school husband."

I've seen a bit of this discussed in the JRod thread, but it's something that bugs me: JDill has a video called "Sam flirting with Mama". I know it's common to say that babies are "little flirts", but uuuuuuugggghhhh it makes me so uncomfortable when people say that. Why are you sexualizing a baby? Why are you implying that a baby smiling at and interacting with his mom is doing so in order to have sex with her? And let's not even get into wedding favors for FOTBs that talk about "the first man I ever loved" or baby onesies that say "Mama's my girl". Ew ew ew ew. 

10 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

When a couple says things like "we are in law/med/vet/whatever school" when it's really just one of them in school it's almost always the husband who is the student. I actually don't think I've ever seen it the other way around. I've seen women describe themselves as a "law school wife" but haven't seen "law school husband."

She might mean it literally, she is a stage five clinger. Maybe they hang out in the library while Ofjill is in class. 

@HarleyQuinn,  I sure hope that Jill and the kids aren't hanging out at the library.  No one using the law library should have to put up with the distraction and noise of those kids and the clingy wife.

11 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Yeah, "we are in school" is going a little far for me. But my husband is currently getting his PhD, and it is definitely a team effort, and I am making plenty of sacrifices so he can fulfill his dream. So saying something like "we can do this" seems completely fine to me. Even though I am obviously not doing any of his research or coursework, I'm still doing a lot to support him in getting his degree.

That said, the sign looks atrocious, and I totally get that everything the Dillards do at this point is cringeworthy. They dug their own hole, so snark away my friends. I'll be happy to join you. :pb_lol:

9 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I've seen a bit of this discussed in the JRod thread, but it's something that bugs me: JDill has a video called "Sam flirting with Mama". I know it's common to say that babies are "little flirts", but uuuuuuugggghhhh it makes me so uncomfortable when people say that. Why are you sexualizing a baby? Why are you implying that a baby smiling at and interacting with his mom is doing so in order to have sex with her? And let's not even get into wedding favors for FOTBs that talk about "the first man I ever loved" or baby onesies that say "Mama's my girl". Ew ew ew ew. 

I disagree with you on this.  I don't equate saying someone (especially a baby) is flirting is sexualizing that person, or that it implies that the person doing so is trying to have sex with whomever they are interacting with.   And your father might very well be the first man you ever loved, (not all love is romantic/sexual) and saying your mother is your girl doesn't have to  mean that in a  romantic or sexual way either.

7 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I disagree with you on this.  I don't equate saying someone (especially a baby) is flirting is sexualizing that person, or that it implies that the person doing so is trying to have sex with whomever they are interacting with.   And your father might very well be the first man you ever loved, (not all love is romantic/sexual) and saying your mother is your girl doesn't have to  mean that in a  romantic or sexual way either.

The fact that there are different kinds of love is why I find it icky. It doesn't sit well with me to use the language of erotic/romantic/sexual love to describe a parent-child relationship. I get that others don't find it icky, but I am very squicked out by it. 

2 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The fact that there are different kinds of love is why I find it icky. It doesn't sit well with me to use the language of erotic/romantic/sexual love to describe a parent-child relationship. I get that others don't find it icky, but I am very squicked out by it. 

I don't see how saying a woman's father is the first man she ever loved, or saying that "Mommy is my girl" (which, by the way I have never seen on anything, it's more likely to be "Mommy's girl") is implying anything erotic/romantic or sexual.  And I think of flirting as trying to charm someone, but not necessarily into sex.  

3 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

And I think of flirting as trying to charm someone, but not necessarily into sex.  

I wonder if it's a regional thing? My friend is trying to find homes for puppies and one of the ads calls a pup named Jerky a "spunky flirt".

Do any of the Duggar women have pilot's licenses? I remember Joy going up with John David, so I wonder if Abbie Grace will want to learn as well.

I align more with nastyhobbitses on this one. "flirting" and "mama" shouldn't be in the same sentence together. It's creepy, especially from a family who swept sex abuse under the rug. 

I'm also in the camp that finds it troubling when people call babyboys "little ladies' men" or "girl-crazy" or, yeah, "flirty" because it seems to feed into various confirmation biases re: boys interacting with women in a particular way. (Because let's get real, Jill isn't going around saying that her sons are "flirting" with their father or uncles.)

53 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Because let's get real, Jill isn't going around saying that her sons are "flirting" with their father or uncles.)

This, right here, is exactly why it is gross to many of us, I think. I know it seems innocent and non-sexual to some people, but if it is so innocent why do little boys never “flirt” with their daddies? It is the same in my mind as men who claim that catcalling is them “just being friendly.” Sure bro. That’s why you’re also yelling at men to smile and telling them how pretty they look today, right? Oh, you’re not? Well why not? I thought it was totally platonic friendliness!

If saying that your baby boy is flirting with adult men creeps you out, it should also creep you out to say he’s flirting with adult women. 

In our region we have a word that would fit for a situation everyone discusses right now. It's "schäkern" (I live in Germany). I will make an example: 

When I am grocery shopping and waiting in the line to pay, and there is a baby or toddler in front of me, it could happen that I start to smile at the Baby/toddler. Sometimes the baby/toddler smiles back, then I will smile again, then I might start to wave, the baby might start to giggle, then I might start doing silly faces ... and so on. I only act like this when I have the feeling that the mum/dad/person who is with the baby/toddler would bei ok with it. I'm not stupid. 

This is what I would call 'schäkern'. If I had to define the word, I would say it means flirting without sexual connotation. 

Is there something similar in English? 

10 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

In my mind, yes:  "flirting" back and forth with a baby would be what you describe.

Everyone I know uses the term "flirting" for what babies do (as you described), and never in any way means it as a sexually suggestive word.

I think people are reading WAY too much into the use of the word "flirt" here, in this instance.

2 hours ago, JillyO said:

Yeah, "we are in school" is going a little far for me. But my husband is currently getting his PhD, and it is definitely a team effort, and I am making plenty of sacrifices so he can fulfill his dream. So saying something like "we can do this" seems completely fine to me. Even though I am obviously not doing any of his research or coursework, I'm still doing a lot to support him in getting his degree.

That said, the sign looks atrocious, and I totally get that everything the Dillards do at this point is cringeworthy. They dug their own hole, so snark away my friends. I'll be happy to join you. :pb_lol:

This. It’s a team effort not “we” my fiancée is also driving for Uber along with her main job while I’m back in school (I also work full-time) and when she goes back as soon as I transfer departments I will sacrifice things as well. It’s all about being a team and making sure you have the support to do what you want and have the lifestyle you want. This is something to Dillard’s don’t understand. 

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

I don't see how saying a woman's father is the first man she ever loved, or saying that "Mommy is my girl" (which, by the way I have never seen on anything, it's more likely to be "Mommy's girl") is implying anything erotic/romantic or sexual.  And I think of flirting as trying to charm someone, but not necessarily into sex.  

Yes!  Flirting, to me, is silly fun first of all. The first time a coworker described it as “letting someone know you want to have sex with them,” I was - and continue to be - grossed out!

1 hour ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

This, right here, is exactly why it is gross to many of us, I think. I know it seems innocent and non-sexual to some people, but if it is so innocent why do little boys never “flirt” with their daddies?

The word comes across as more innocent to me than it apparently does to others, but that's a really good point.

Regarding "first man I ever loved," on its own it seems okay, but when it is directly comparing love between a child and parent to love between spouses it can feel a little uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I would just say playful or smiley. Or maybe a "ham" because that's just another way to say someone likes attention. I've never met anyone that didn't associate flirting with relationships and/or sex. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived