IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I tagged along to my older sister’s undergrad classes - once or twice to an English class she took at a local community college and then I attended a few of her classes when I visited her at the four year university she (and eventually I) attended. I wasn’t registered for the courses, but none of the professors had an issue with it and our parents viewed it as a great experience for us both.

Not my experience at all. At the private university I attended, random visitors would not have been welcomed. Professional school is hella expensive, and dogs, babies, wives, and other non-students distracting the real students is problematic, to me. I would not appreciate visitors to a program I am paying $60,000 a year for. I was always a very serious student though. Like I always say, to each her own. YMMV.

2 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

I think Jill would have been a great nurse.

Maybe for women only, no way she would have been able to handle male nudity even in a clinical setting.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Maybe for women only, no way she would have been able to handle male nudity even in a clinical setting.

I was thinking maternity and paediatric. She could do it and it might be better for her than midwife, as a nurse she would have more of a teamwork environment.

Yoohoo law school fj’ers, what say you? I just despise these two entitled asswipes!!

My law school classes all had assigned seats. Especially in my 1L classes, every single seat was taken. Professors were really strict about the seating chart because that's how they kept track of who they'd called on. I wonder whose seat Jill is in and what happened when that person showed up. It would be amazing if the professor didn't notice and called on her.

I don't remember anyone ever coming to classes in law school that wasn't part of the class. In undergrad, maybe, with permission from the professor (like if someone had an out of town guest or child care emergency). But it would have been totally inappropriate in a law school class, if it wasn't something out of the ordinary like a day designated for family members to sit in. And at least at my school, those would be special events like a panel on the Supreme Court term or something, not a regularly scheduled class.

I took Mr. Wolf to my Spanish class once. I did a presentation on self defense. I used him to show how to defend yourself from an attacker. It was fun.

53 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

I was thinking maternity and paediatric. She could do it and it might be better for her than midwife, as a nurse she would have more of a teamwork environment.

Yeah, but in school she would still have to learn about male anatomy, see pictures, practice treating men, etc as part of her general education before specializing. She can’t tell her professors and supervisors she can’t see a labeled diagram or learn to insert a catheter into a   man’s urethra because Jesus said so. 

For those who haven’t suffered through it, law school classes are generally taught differently than undergrad classes. As mentioned by joy2world first year classes often have seating charts with assigned seats (including a photo of your face on your seat on the professor’s chart.) Professors traditionally use the Socratic teaching method where an unfortunate student will be called on by the professor and grilled - usually about some case - their conclusions challenged by the professor, perhaps ridiculed, but it’s a bad idea to laugh at your fellow student, because the professor might turn to you and start grilling you instead. The goal is to teach you to think critically and to express yourself rationally under pressure, to ‘think and speak like a lawyer.’

Looking at the photo, the professor isn’t at the podium and the class looks fairly empty - so it may have been before class started. They could be in the back of the classroom, those seats often aren’t assigned (depending on the size of the classroom and the number of students in the class) and students who aren’t prepared tend to sit there since they can’t be called on (no name/pix on the seating chart) hence the phrase ‘back benchers’ to describe slackers.

Maybe Jill needs to take some classes/courses to position herself to run his law office if he graduates, that may be the closest she comes to a career.

I went along for some undergraduate lectures when my now husband and I first started dating because I was curious about the subject. However, I did enroll at the same university the following semester, so there's that. And we certainly did not take any selfies, that would have been so embarrasing.

Also, in Germany, lectures at public universities are free to attend for the general public (I think), it's only the advanced courses (seminars etc.) you can't really barge into because the groups are much smaller and it's much more interactive than a lecture, so any "stranger" would immediately be identified as such. And, strictly speaking, the fees you're paying per semester is for sitting the exams at the end of each semester, not for attending any of the classes.

Anyway, back to Jill: It's not like anybody here is surprised that she tagged along, right? At least they didn't bring the kids.... and she didn't sit on his lap (for all we know). Low standards, I know, but TITDWTA*

*This is the Dillards we're talking about

It is probably different in the USA but here in the Netherlands it is completely fine to bring people to lectures. No one ever checked if they were extra people and classes are normally big enough to go unnoticed (which made it also very easy to skip lectures ?)

I don't think it is that weird to bring her once or twice so she gets a feeling of where he is studying. I like it as well when my boyfriend comes to lunch at my job so I can show him where I spend most of my day. 

It is weird however, that they label it as a date/alone-time. It would also be weird if it would  happen every (other) week or so.

Ha! I realized what rubbed me the wrong way about derick's naturalized uncle post. It's not that he seems to be happy that he has a nephew from his side of the family. He seems to declare his other nieces and nephews as second-class nieces and nephews. And himself as a second-class-uncle. I am an aunt who is not related to her nieces and nephews by blood. But the moment these two took their first breaths, that were the moments I became their aunt. And to make it clear: If anybody told me that these kids are not my real nieces and nephews or that I am not their real aunt because 'naturalized bullshit', hell would break loose. I don't give a shit about being related to them by blood or not, I have true aunti-love running through my veins.

Sorry for the rant. 

As for Jill attending the class, I am not sure what to think about. Is it a small class? I think it's normal to want to know where your partner spends his/her day. I think it's okay to attend one class if the professor and the other students have no problem with it and if you can blend in easily without disturbing the others, but the Dillards never act like normal people. 

9 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Instead of saying 'by the order of Greyskull' he says 'by the order of Numbskull.'

Could you put Jeremy's head on the animated Disney Gaston's body? To be extra cheeky and mean, here's a pic you could use (NSFW). :brainbleach:

I couldn't possibly be involved in anything so frightfully tasteless!  Erm...

Spoiler

gastonjezza.jpg.3695b59445aa9a570174e6574cc93ae0.jpg

Family weekend is a thing at University of Arkansas?  Their law school too?  Why?  

I've attended three old, respected universities and none of them had anything akin to family day.  It (IMO) seems a bit lowbrow.

Family day is lowbrow? That seems like a really odd thing to be elitist about to me. :pb_lol:

On a reddit thread about this (I checked to see if Derick's classmate had posted, and they have not) a couple people say it's normal at their law school.

Devils advocate: I just graduated and this happened (and was often encouraged) at my school. Especially 1L year. Often you know someone who relates to or is interested in a topic. Or the professor really encourages your family to understand the challenges of law school and be a good support to you- and this is one way to show them.

I also commented on the other sub that one time isn’t a big deal or unprofessional if the professor allows it. They likely don’t know the context of her following him everywhere, so if she doesn’t abuse it and go often they’d see it as any other spouse sitting in.

Every law school is different so I think there’s a solid chance it was encouraged.

The only thing that bugged me was parents bringing in their kids when they weren’t allowed at daycare due to fever. I had a small seminar and caught an awful chest cold from a kid so that their parent didn’t miss one class- which I have sympathy for- but then I ended up missing two because I was so sick and didn’t want to do that to the rest of the class.

I had a similar experience. I went to a small regional law school in a state where a lot of highly regarded law professors from across the country choose to semi-retire but continue to teach the occasional class. I would often invite non-law school friends and family to my lectures if there was a particularly noteworthy professor or I thought there was a topic that they might be interested in. My dad sat in on a number of constitutional law lectures and several friends sat in on various environmental law lectures. My classmates frequently brought there children to class and I can think of several occasions when a spouse would come to see what it was all about as well. There was never an issue of the visitor being called on because our professors generally called on us from a list of names rather than pointing to a random person in the class. I am not sure that it was necessarily encouraged but there did not seem to be a policy against it - or if there was it wasn't enforced.

I attended my boyfriend's (now fiancé!) law classes all the time but I suppose that is different since we were both law students at the same school. And yes sometimes I went just to spend time with him - I worked full time and went to law school part time so it actually was hard to schedule time together!

Personally I never had an issue with people bringing adult friends and family to class, but small children could be distracting. I get that it's tough for some parents to find childcare sometimes, though, and I never saw a parent bring their children in regularly.

2 hours ago, felicitysbow said:

I couldn't possibly be involved in anything so frightfully tasteless!  Erm...

Hide contents

gastonjezza.jpg.3695b59445aa9a570174e6574cc93ae0.jpg

???

Yasssss! This made my night. Rufus bless you.

There are a lot of comments on Derick’s tweet, with pretty much the same themes we have here, plus a few leghumpers. He’s refrained from answering them so far.

It’s always funny to me to see what people follow each other on Twitter. Margaret Cho follows Derick. Josh probably hasn’t been allowed near Twitter since the day before the scandal broke, so he’s still following a lot of worldly accounts because of his FRC job. He follows a friend of mine who is a political reporter.

7 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Not my experience at all. At the private university I attended, random visitors would not have been welcomed. Professional school is hella expensive, and dogs, babies, wives, and other non-students distracting the real students is problematic, to me. I would not appreciate visitors to a program I am paying $60,000 a year for. I was always a very serious student though. Like I always say, to each her own. YMMV.

Lol! That may be the difference then. These were both public schools (probably about thirteen years ago now.) She cleared it with her professors ahead of time and no one had an issue with it - if they had I would have hung out in her dorm room or something instead because I’m not an asshole. :pb_lol: Maybe we were just really lucky, but the guests (myself included) always seemed pretty quiet and well behaved. Even the little kids (they colored and had snacks.)

Thinking about it, my sister recently had to bring her newborn to a class at a pricey private university as well. It was for their thesis presentations and she’s breastfeeding. She cleared it with the Professor ahead of time (who was thrilled to have her “youngest ever student” attend), I watched her older son for her (because he would have been an actual distraction - that kid does NOT slow down!), and my nephew was a rockstar who nursed during breaks and slept through the rest of it. 

I do know there’s a massive difference between my experience and the Dillard experience though. If they didn’t have permission from the Professor for Jill to attend then that’s pretty shitty. If they did have permission, especially if it was Family Day and allowed, then I don’t think it’s as big a deal other than it being weird that they’d label it as a “date.” 

2 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Family weekend is a thing at University of Arkansas?  Their law school too?  Why?  

I've attended three old, respected universities and none of them had anything akin to family day.  It (IMO) seems a bit lowbrow.

Family Day really isn’t that abnormal in my experience. My university holds one each fall, I think around the time the homecoming football game happens. I’m pretty sure it’s just a day on the weekend rather than an entire week, but most students at my old school are in-state students and we’re in a very small state. It’s easy enough to get here from any part of the state, so one day is usually all that’s needed. It’s viewed as a good opportunity for parents and families to get to know the school and get a look at what their student’s life is like on-campus - plus, potential marketing to siblings who may be interested in attending. Most of the students and families seemed to really enjoy it.

I'm pretty sure my local public university (and alma mater) is required to allow classes to be open. You can't practice law in the US just by passing the BAR exam, you have to have an accredited JD also, so "stealing" the knowledge is a moot point.

Is it super weird? yes 100%

Is it completely inappropriate or breaking rules? not in my opinion

UofArk is a public, tier two law school in a super red state. I doubt most of his classmates are that weirded out.

12 hours ago, JoiseyGoil said:

Since it’s in Arkansas, what percentage of Derick’s classmates have the same views as him? 50% of the men and 30% of the women? Do you think most of his classmates are Trump supporters?

Well, of course, because 100% of the population of Arkansas is white fundy Christian. /sarcasm

9 hours ago, joy2world said:

In my law school, professors passed around the seating chart sometime the first week of class. You were stuck where you were for the entire semester after that. My father had a quadruple bypass and double endarterectomy about six weeks before my last semester ended. I got word that he was out of surgery and in ICU by a note stuck on the door of my classroom (old days when cell phones weren't ubiquitous).

My law school classes all had assigned seats. Especially in my 1L classes, every single seat was taken. Professors were really strict about the seating chart because that's how they kept track of who they'd called on. I wonder whose seat Jill is in and what happened when that person showed up. It would be amazing if the professor didn't notice and called on her.

I don't remember anyone ever coming to classes in law school that wasn't part of the class. In undergrad, maybe, with permission from the professor (like if someone had an out of town guest or child care emergency). But it would have been totally inappropriate in a law school class, if it wasn't something out of the ordinary like a day designated for family members to sit in. And at least at my school, those would be special events like a panel on the Supreme Court term or something, not a regularly scheduled class.

Fayetteville in general is a lot more liberal than the rest of the state. (It gets called "Fayettenam" sometimes by people mocking the liberals there... I've never really understood that nickname.) In 2016 Trump won Arkansas easily but in Fayetteville more people voted for Clinton than for Trump. (Here are the statistics.)

In 2008 Obama won my high school's mock election by a huge margin. I actually felt like students were more conservative at the university than they were at high school, though, possibly because everyone in my high school grew up in the relatively liberal Fayetteville while most university students come from much more conservative areas of Arkansas and Oklahoma. I felt like the culture at the UofA was more heavily Christian as well. I was part of the secular student alliance on campus and they regularly  had their posters defaced and had trouble getting any other student group (including the LGBT group) to do any projects with them. That said, it's a huge university and there are a whole lot of students who are liberal and/or non-Christian. It's definitely not uniformly conservative.

Also, while Arkansas is obviously heavily conservative now, I wouldn't say that the Duggars and their views are normal in Arkansas as a whole (as opposed to in their fundie cohort) as I frequently see people claim. Most Arkansans are nowhere near that extreme and the Duggars are pretty widely viewed as being an embarrassment to the area.

I doubt a family day would allow you to bring a family member to a law school class. As mentioned by other posters, the classes usually have you stuck in the same seat for the entire year and there isn’t anywhere to put extra people. We had three sections for the first year day students. My section had almost 100 people in it and we took every class together for the first year other than Legal writing which split to smaller classes of about 25. No way would we have been able to squeeze a Jill or two in. It would have been odd for a spouse to be there.

My guess is Jill still wants to be with Derick 24/7 and maybe wants to see who he is hanging out with everyday. I don’t think it will be the last day she ends up in Derick’s class. 

@Rachel333

Thank you. I have spent my entire life explaining and defending Arkansas against these stereotypes and condescending opinions.

There are educated, uneducated, liberal, conservative, moderate, Christian, Jewish, agnostic, Muslim, Hindu, atheist, Druid, black, brown, white, short, tall, criminal, law-abiding, fat, thin, mean, kind, ugly, beautiful people in Arkansas.

I am so sick and fucking tired of the unwarranted negative opinions that are formed from hearing jokes and listening to/believing without question the media, and not from first-hand experience with the good people of the state where I grew up. 

@SapphireSlytherin The stereotypes about Arkansas are awful and the Duggars' show also definitely gives people an inaccurate view of the area. NWA is actually a really great place to live and I'm glad I grew up there. I miss it badly.

By the way, True Detective season 3 is set in the Ozarks and was filmed in NWA. It's possible that people who watch the Duggars' show might find some of the locations familiar. Mahershala Ali said he didn't know what to think of Arkansas before he got there but that he had a great experience there.

Arkansas Film Commissioner Christopher Crane thinks the production will be big for the state.

“For us, it’s a nice feather in our cap,” Crane said. “Not only that (HBO) came here, but they had such a positive experience and have talked about, ‘My gosh, we want to vacation here, we want to do another film here, so the ramifications I think will be felt for a long time.”

After spending six months in the city, Ali said he also believes the exposure is going to pay off for Fayetteville.

“I feel that this area is going to maybe get busier than you want in the next five or ten years, so hold on to your homes,” he said.

Here's the trailer:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There are a lot of comments on Derick’s tweet, with pretty much the same themes we have here, plus a few leghumpers. He’s refrained from answering them so far.

It’s always funny to me to see what people follow each other on Twitter. Margaret Cho follows Derick. Josh probably hasn’t been allowed near Twitter since the day before the scandal broke, so he’s still following a lot of worldly accounts because of his FRC job. He follows a friend of mine who is a political reporter.

Margaret Cho is an FJer. It’s the only explanation. ?

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived