IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

6 minutes ago, Baxter said:

As someone who also went to law school and is now a lawyer, I think that I actually spent more time on school work in my undergrad degree. Law school seemed pretty light in comparison. I had lots of spare time to socialize but I wouldn't want to do it with kids. I wouldn't want to do any schooling when I had kids. There were certainly several other people in my year who had children and they seemed to make it work. I think their spouses picked up a lot of the slack.

That being said, if Derrick isn't really involved with child care then it probably won't affect him too much anyways. The thing with law school is that as long as you don't get terrible grades, it's fine. You don't need to be at the top of the class, especially if you aren't wanting to go work at one of the big firms or clerk at the Supreme Court. But while you might not need to work as hard while you are in law school, practicing law is a whole different game. It can be soul sucking and be prepared to work long hours if you want to make good money.

Thank you, this is very similar to my experience, although I wouldn't say you will be fine if you don't do well.  Things have changed since I graduated, but a large number of graduates don't get jobs and have to start their own firms which is hard and a terrible idea.  Good grades are important, although connections may be more so if what your looking for is employment.  

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Baxter said:

It can be soul sucking and be prepared to work long hours if you want to make good money.

I suspect soul sucking wouldn't be a problem for him.

3 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Thank you, this is very similar to my experience, although I wouldn't say you will be fine if you don't do well.  Things have changed since I graduated, but a large number of graduates don't get jobs and have to start their own firms which is hard and a terrible idea.  Good grades are important, although connections may be more so if what your looking for is employment.  

I had a friend who job hunted after law school for like a year before sort of giving up and just going with something that didn’t require her degree. Not sure if she ever did something related to law. I think she did briefly. Now she’s getting a degree in library science. Law schools are just churning out more graduates than there are available jobs. It sucks.

3 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I suspect soul sucking wouldn't be a problem for him.

It’s just the working long hours, or any hours, that would be a problem for him.

I have always thought that Derrick was fired from Walmart.  Most probably for cause such as time and attendence.  It is the easy way to get rid of someone who is a jerk and does’t get along with anyone but that is a hard thing to document in a human resource file.  Time and attendence is strait on facts, no opinions.

I can't even choke out a comment like I hope he does well with his studies or something. 

I don't see him even finishing the studies, let alone becoming a lawyer. 

I don't care if it's not nice - I don't hope he does well. I hope he fails miserably. Derick should absolutely not be a lawyer. He's not at all suited for the work. He does not need any more power or influence in society. He already has a degree. He has some work experience. There are plenty of other jobs he could do to support his family. My biggest hope for him right now is that he drops out in time to get a decent refund and starts looking for a full time job.

12 hours ago, TakingBibleClasses said:

I don’t know what the law school’s acronym means, but WWJD is Christian for “What Would Jesus Do?” You see it written on bracelets all the time.

And then there's my favorite, WWJCD! :my_biggrin:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20161229-061720.thumb.jpg.859a7f8f723b157d5382c19fd7845bda.jpg

I think Derrick will love law school. Not because of the work but he gets to be a student again. He can use school as an excuse as to why he has to be away from home and can’t help with the kids, not that I think he does anyway. He can meet new people and have new adventures while his wife stays home and takes care of the family. Hell, Derick will probably do a semester abroad and leave Jill behind. I think college was the best time of his life and he wants to relive it.

I don’t think Derick actually wants to be a practicing lawyer. It’s hard work, low pay in the beginning, especially when you are not from a top school, and being a newbie means you do the grunt work. What they don’t tell you at law school is that 95% of what you learn doesn’t mean jack once you are a lawyer. It’s scary on the job training, and most places won’t officially train you anyway, and Instead will just throw you in and hope you can float. I hope he is ok with having to rewrite the same motion 10 times because the partner is a perfectionist and that new attorneys have no power in law firms. 

I also don’t think Derick realizes most Legal jobs aren’t 9-5. I have learned not to buy tickets for anything that isn’t a late Friday night or Saturday. I just went to a mediation that started at 9am and ended just before 9pm. It was a kill me now day. I don’t think Derick could deal with that. I don’t think he could take the stress of not being able to spends hours tweeting. 

12 hours ago, freshlemonade said:

Another Ina fan here.  Except that she hates cilantro.  Cilantro is the best Ina-give it another shot!!

Did DNA testing.  Guess what?  I don't like cilantro(aka corriander) and it 's genetic!   I really don't like it.

22 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

Did DNA testing.  Guess what?  I don't like cilantro(aka corriander) and it 's genetic!   I really don't like it.

Seems it is a 50/50 split on "soapy tasting" or not around here.  Opinions only.

Interesting you claim it is genetically based.  Can you post your DNA evidence to this?

32 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Seems it is a 50/50 split on "soapy tasting" or not around here.  Opinions only.

Interesting you claim it is genetically based.  Can you post your DNA evidence to this?

It is part of my 23andMe profile. I'm on the "soapy" side genetically. It's weird, because sometimes it tastes fine like in salsa, but in other applications I taste soap. 

I'm also a super taster. I wonder if that also is a factor. 

20 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

This. This time, though, it would probably be a lot easier for him to work a regular 9-to-5-job (like Walmart accountant, Derick!!)  and come home after workday to spend the evening relaxing, than to study all day and do homework that requires concentration and thinking while his wife and kids cling to his arms. 

I don't really think he's able to go through this.

Oh, he is. He just has to couch his total avoidance of actual responsibility as a father and husband in Jesus-y enough terms so that Jill will put up with it and act like it's perfectly normal for her husband to take zero part in running the household and treat his own children as annoyances and inconveniences.

Can we add Deadbeat Derick to his list of nicknames, along with OfJill, Derdick, Derelict, and D-Wreck? His list of appellations will soon rival Daenerys Targaryen. 

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

A variation of OR6A2 - an olfactory-receptor gene - causes people to smell certain chemicals making cilantro taste like soap. 

I like cilantro, so am not among the 4-14% of the population w/ the variant of OR6A2 that makes cilantro taste bad. I do, however, have the variant of OR2M7 that enables me to smell asparagus pee :)

I don’t think Derick left Walmart voluntarily. I think his filming with TLC caused conflicts. I even think TLC may have proposed or at least encouraged the idea of them going to Central America with the ministry for new filming content. I wonder how Derick is going to support his family by going to law school full-time? Maybe he will work nights and weekends but that might take a toll on his grades.

36 minutes ago, sndral said:

I do, however, have the variant of OR2M7 that enables me to smell asparagus pee. :)

I never knew that anyone couldn't smell the effects that eating asparagus has on urine. I guess because everyone in my family (as far as I know) can smell it. Interesting. 

On 8/9/2018 at 11:55 PM, TeaELSee said:

I can only speak for myself but I think it is terrible and unjust that people live in food deserts in the United States, or anywhere. I personally like canned potatoes and green beans, but that’s not the point. Reading about a canned product that one is unfamiliar with, it’s a knee jerk reaction of “gross”!  I had that reaction to canned chicken, I didn’t post about it but I thought it! 

When i read those posts I viewed it as a lens on Jill’s life. She has access to fresh food, she has help and resources many of us don’t have. You don’t have that same access, if you did you mentioned you would prefer fresh fruits.  You would buy fresh if you had a choice.  Jill has that choice.

I hope this makes sense. I do know I can be a huge food snob. I can’t stand the Pioneer Woman but I love Ina Garten.

When I lived in Central Jersey I got almost all of my food directly from farms or from the Amish market. I felt so much better. But I don't have that luxury here and I'm not gonna get crazy about it.

5 hours ago, sndral said:

A variation of OR6A2 - an olfactory-receptor gene - causes people to smell certain chemicals making cilantro taste like soap. 

I'll expand on this as to why it sometimes tastes "soapy", but not always. The gene variation means variant people can smell both enantiomers (left hand and right hand is the easy example), rather than one (right hand). 

If all of the cilantro in a dish is from one plant that is right hand only, it tastes like cilantro. If any of the cilantro on a dish is left friendly, it tastes like soap.

There's no visible way to tell the difference and even asking for cilantro to be left off as a garnish is rarely remembered, so I'm cilantro gambling woman.

I did the 23&Me test as well. The 'traits' portion was... interesting. A mix of accurate and 'what?' For example:

-Less able to match musical pitch - accurate!

-Likely brown or hazel eyes - accurate!

-Likely little freckling - accurate!

-Likely little baby hair - not accurate!

-Likely at least a little unibrow - not accurate! (sad - I think unibrows are cool)

-Less likely to hate chewing sounds - DEFINITELY NOT ACCURATE

10 hours ago, socalrules said:

Hell, Derick will probably do a semester abroad and leave Jill behind.

That’s not a thing in law school. I agree that he will enjoy it. You only have to work really hard if you want top grades, and I think he will be fine with skating by.

2 hours ago, cascarones said:

If all of the cilantro in a dish is from one plant that is right hand only, it tastes like cilantro. If any of the cilantro on a dish is left friendly, it tastes like soap.

Thank you! I’ve wondered why sometimes I can’t stand cilantro and other times I’m fine with it.  

Btw, Panera must buy left handed cilantro only!

48 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

That’s not a thing in law school. I agree that he will enjoy it. You only have to work really hard if you want top grades, and I think he will be fine with skating by.

I just googled law school study abroad and many schools offer it. I was surprised but it makes sense.

4 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I just googled law school study abroad and many schools offer it. I was surprised but it makes sense.

Yeah, that came back to me as I was posting, and it’s probably more common than it was back in my day. It’s totally unnecessary, unless maybe you’re planning to specialize in international law, but that wouldn’t stop Derick.

I'm really interested to see if the Dillards are going to publicize his return to academia?  He received his Cross Church certificate last week and nothing was mentioned.  This is a little strange.  He works a full year and has pr omoted the program and then nothing about comp!etion?   I wonder if as a condition of acceptance at U A Law that he has to refrain from self promotion.   Is Jill the publicity hound now?  

15 minutes ago, Royallyobsessed said:

I'm really interested to see if the Dillards are going to publicize his return to academia?  He received his Cross Church certificate last week and nothing was mentioned.  This is a little strange.  He works a full year and has pr omoted the program and then nothing about comp!etion?   I wonder if as a condition of acceptance at U A Law that he has to refrain from self promotion.   Is Jill the publicity hound now?  

I think he's getting financial support from someone (probably Boob, maybe Cathy) and a big condition of that support is shutting his piehole.  Or maybe he has a part-time job at Cross...same deal, keep yer trap shut.

ETA:  I also think the drastic change in the Seewald's social media presence was in part due to his church internship.  

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived