IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at Jill's gagworthy pot roast anew, it doesn't look cooked at all.  I wonder, too, if she'd put the roast in.  I can't see any meat nor any broth. Whether it's cooked or not, it does not look the least bit appetizing.

25 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Looking at Jill's gagworthy pot roast anew, it doesn't look cooked at all.  I wonder, too, if she'd put the roast in.  I can't see any meat nor any broth. Whether it's cooked or not, it does not look the least bit appetizing.

How do you make carrots and potatoes gray? And you are right where is the roast? What is rattling around in her empty little head that makes her think these things are a good idea?

Jill doesn’t have the creativity, skill, or personality to be a good mommy blogger. I wish she would just go to nursing school already and do what she really wants to do: be a real midwife. 

She’s a square peg trying to force herself into the round hole that everone has been telling her would make her happy and fulfilled for her whole life. I wondered if she’ll ever realize she just doesn’t fit? 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

How do you make carrots and potatoes gray? And you are right where is the roast? What is rattling around in her empty little head that makes her think these things are a good idea?

Canned string beans are one of the most disgusting foods in Rufus’s green earth. Just buy some fresh from the market rinse and snap off the ends. Oh and caned peas? Buy a bag of frozen open and stir in right before the stew is done. They cook quickly and won’t turn to total mush. Added bonus: I’ve heard frozen veggies retain their nutritional value longer than fresh and certainly better than cans  I see jill learned the high art heating from JShell 

I grew up thinking I didn't like green beans. Turned out it was just canned green beans and my grandmother didn't make them any other way. I buy them frozen and saute them in butter and minced garlic with a pinch of salt and it turns out I like them just fine. 

1 hour ago, finnlassie said:

durrock.thumb.png.f82a0a0da3f5fcda06d6bd33ff8bec67.png

:my_angel::my_angel::my_angel::my_angel:

OH! Hims got on a TIE, like a BIG BOY!

(As an aside, I LOVE the shorts and the knees. It's maybe my favorite thing ever)

1 hour ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Jill doesn’t have the creativity, skill, or personality to be a good mommy blogger. I wish she would just go to nursing school already and do what she really wants to do: be a real midwife. 

If Jill had been born into a different family, she may have been a decent nurse/midwife. In the world that Jill lives in now, I don't she would be. She doesn't have enough common sense or critical thinking to go into nursing. Hell, she thinks that pot roast looks good and posted it. I'm afraid that Jill doesn't have enough sense to realize that she's miserable. She's just going to keep doing as she is doing. 

20 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

I grew up thinking I didn't like green beans. Turned out it was just canned green beans and my grandmother didn't make them any other way. I buy them frozen and saute them in butter and minced garlic with a pinch of salt and it turns out I like them just fine. 

I was that way with peas. My mom always made canned (in her later years she switched to frozen). I pretty much hated all veg except corn. Now I make frozen or fresh. A few times that we have been on vacation to hike, the lodges we stayed at were known for their chicken dinner or great dinner buffet---- right away I could tell the veg were all canned. Yuck. I stuck to salad. 

20 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Canned string beans are one of the most disgusting foods in Rufus’s green earth. Just buy some fresh from the market rinse and snap off the ends. Oh and caned peas? Buy a bag of frozen open and stir in right before the stew is done. They cook quickly and won’t turn to total mush. Added bonus: I’ve heard frozen veggies retain their nutritional value longer than fresh and certainly better than cans  I see jill learned the high art heating from JShell 

According to JRod, canned green beans are LITERALLY a tool that Satan uses to attack the faithful. It is best to avoid them, even if you secretly enjoy them like me.  Can't let Satan's cans get in your house!

I wish Jill would take a leaf out of Jessa's book and just admit she's not a good cook.  Even Jessa posts recipes sometimes, but when she does, she admits they are nothing fancy.  She posts it with an attitude of "I'm not a good cook, but if I can make this successfully, it's basically foolproof! Plus the family loves it!"  And quick, easy, foolproof recipes that toddlers will eat?  There's DEFINITELY a market for that.  

Jill would do better if she were willing to be more honest like that.  "Hey, I like to cook using these canned foods like I had when we were growing up.  I know, I know...but canned can be easier for some people, and maybe you're like me and this is your comfort food :)" There honestly is a market for that!  I don't have a lot of freezer space and I live in a bit of a food desert, so canned is usually easier for me to buy.  It lasts, it's cheap, and I can store it wherever.  I would actually appreciate creative recipes that "dress up" canned foods, because it is SO much easier for me to buy canned!  And I don't really know of many bloggers that exploit this niche because canned foods are looked down on these days.  

Be yourself, Jill.  You'll never be as good a Jessa as Jessa, but you can be a good you.

Jill could also benefit by buying some daylight bulbs for her kitchen if she wants to take  pictures of her food. She may not be a photographer but it would help every picture not come out yellow. 

27 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

My mother believed/believes the ONLY way to cook vegetables is to kill them in a microwave until they are grey and mushy. Yet she wonders why vegetables taste so much better out at restaurants. Let's see- perhaps they're prepared better? Ever heard of blanching, sauteing,  broiling or grilling? ANYTHING other than putting them in the microwave.

In Jill's defense, when I first got married, I was not a good cook. I look back and I'm aghast at the things I served! Then again, I didn't say I was a good cook and share my recipes. Now I'm a decent cook. I have some easy recipes that are "comfort" foods and I have others that are a bit more elaborate. I have one recipe I brought to a work potluck that has been requested 2 years in a row now.  And because I have so much going on with my elderly parents, I keep a box of hamburger helper or a jar of spaghetti sauce handy just in case. 

It does take time to get better.... you need to try things out and don't be afraid to fail. Oh and my mom was the BEST cook who was the worst cook when she got married. Like me, she didn't have to cook growing up and had to learn while married. I would kill for her stuffed cabbage. I have a recipe but I am scared to make it. 

23 minutes ago, keen23 said:

OH! Hims got on a TIE, like a BIG BOY!

(As an aside, I LOVE the shorts and the knees. It's maybe my favorite thing ever)

Exactly!

I almost gave him a bowtie and suspenders, but he isn't classy enough for them.

Eh. I'll only eat green beans out of a can. I can't stand the taste of frozen ones, and fresh ones are only good if they're cooked to death with some bacon grease.

2 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

She’s a square peg trying to force herself into the round hole that everone has been telling her would make her happy and fulfilled for her whole life. I wondered if she’ll ever realize she just doesn’t fit? 

She should get advice from Abbie, JD’s soon to be wife.

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

According to JRod, canned green beans are LITERALLY a tool that Satan uses to attack the faithful. It is best to avoid them, even if you secretly enjoy them like me.  Can't let Satan's cans get in your house!

I wish Jill would take a leaf out of Jessa's book and just admit she's not a good cook.  Even Jessa posts recipes sometimes, but when she does, she admits they are nothing fancy.  She posts it with an attitude of "I'm not a good cook, but if I can make this successfully, it's basically foolproof! Plus the family loves it!"  And quick, easy, foolproof recipes that toddlers will eat?  There's DEFINITELY a market for that.  

Jill would do better if she were willing to be more honest like that.  "Hey, I like to cook using these canned foods like I had when we were growing up.  I know, I know...but canned can be easier for some people, and maybe you're like me and this is your comfort food :)" There honestly is a market for that!  I don't have a lot of freezer space and I live in a bit of a food desert, so canned is usually easier for me to buy.  It lasts, it's cheap, and I can store it wherever.  I would actually appreciate creative recipes that "dress up" canned foods, because it is SO much easier for me to buy canned!  And I don't really know of many bloggers that exploit this niche because canned foods are looked down on these days.  

Be yourself, Jill.  You'll never be as good a Jessa as Jessa, but you can be a good you.

One of my favourite fish soups is coconut milk, canned tomatoes and white fish of choice (we mostly use cod), simmered until the fish is done. Easy peasy :)You can add fish/vegetable stock, soy sauce, fresh chili or chili paste, spring onions, and/or lime if you want to spice it up a little. The recipe calls for chinese cabbage as "noodles" to give it some texture, and I do not have a good substitute for it though... 

Brussel sprouts - couldn’t eat them till a Chef told me gas coming off during cooking is what makes them taste bad. So now I let them and broccoli vent and they come out sweet and delicious.  Now I want some.

2 hours ago, finnlassie said:

Exactly!

I almost gave him a bowtie and suspenders, but he isn't classy enough for them.

No bow tie or suspenders (braces). Bow ties are cool. You would make the eleventh doctor cry.

50 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Brussel sprouts - couldn’t eat them till a Chef told me gas coming off during cooking is what makes them taste bad. So now I let them and broccoli vent and they come out sweet and delicious.  Now I want some.

I blanch brussel sprouts and then toss them in oil and put under the broiler until they are nice and crispy (some would say burnt). Throw on a little salt, maybe some lemon or balsamic vinegar. Awesome.

6 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

This is very true. Hell, you can be an excellent homemaker and terrible blogger. Blogging is all about image. I’m sure half of those picture perfect dishes taste awful. Even queen Martha Stewart struggled with her food pictures on social media until she got a team. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/someone-needs-to-tell-martha-stewart-her-food-tweets-are-dis

5 hours ago, Georgiana said:

JRod hates canned beans? Well dang  I’m going to have to start eating them because the last thing I want is to have things in common with Our Lady of the baby cages 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived