IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

KUDZU! That shit's awful. We had a saying - if you wreck your car into a Kudzu patch, you'd better hope there are witnesses, otherwise your car will be covered within 5 minutes...

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to interrupt the thread drift, but I'm a bit behind on my FJ reading and I have thoughts about Dwreck's latest endeavors.

If he is forreal going to law school, god help Jill. Law school is INCREDIBLY tough and time consuming. In fact, going to a mid-ranked regional school (like U of Ark) is a lot harder than going to a Top 13. At the top schools, virtually everyone gets the jobs they want (Big Law in places like NYC or DC), so grades don't matter as much. But if you're at a mid-ranked school, grades matter a LOT. Depending on the law school and the markets they feed into, you often have to be in the top 25%-50% to have decent job prospects. And everyone there knows it, so the students are all putting in crazy effort to do well. Plus, people actually fail out of mid-ranked schools, something that is unheard of in the T13 (the curves are set so far above the minimum GPA required that it's not really possible to fail).

Sure, Dwreck probably doesn't want to work for a law firm or for the government. He wants to be a politician or work for a "Christian" (read: hate-filled) organization. But he still needs to get through 3 years of constant hard work and working legal jobs each summer. He still needs to be socially tolerable enough to get a job offer somewhere. And he still needs to be respectable enough to be the representative of an organization or district. And with all the weird, hateful, obsessive, controversy-riddled shenanigans he's been up to recently, I have a hard time picturing any of that.

Let's be clear, Josh isn't a great dude; but before the scandals it was pretty evident that Josh was charismatic, well-spoken, handsome(ish), and decently intelligent, as far as fundies go. Josh was also great at acting like a hardworking family man, when he was really riding the curtails of his family's fame. Dwreck is socially awkward, unattractive, and already widely perceived as lazy and combative. And if Dwreck thinks he's going to effortlessly slip into the role of Duggar-affiliated political figure, I think he's dead wrong.

My point is this: law school is going to suck, especially for someone who doesn't like having a 9am-5pm. (Law school, done right, is more like an 8am-6pm. And you don't get paid for it.) Jill is going to be on her own a lot, which we all know she doesn't like. And this whole endeavor is probably not going to amount to anything good.

6 hours ago, JillyO said:

This is so interesting. I had always thought that some people produce asparagus pee and others don't. That's what I learned in middle school biology class. Now I feel really betrayed. What other lies did they teach us?! :pb_lol:

Fascinating that everyone produces asparagus pee, but only some of us can smell it!

Actually, only some people can produce asparagus pee AND only some people can smell it. (Source: random person on the internet.)

I checked the UArk Law site, and here’s the info on study abroad programs - https://law.uark.edu/academics/jd/international-programs.php. To clarify my original post, @VaSportsMom had said he might do a semester abroad, and I do think that it would be unusual for an American law student to spend a full fall or spring semester abroad. There are a lot of international programs during summer vacation. The three UArk programs are described as “six weeks,” “in July and August,” and “two credits,” so none of them seem to be a full semester.

The nice thing about the UofA is that (at least in undergrad--law school may very well be different) they let you do any study abroad program you want to do and not just a few that are connected to the university. The university really emphasizes study abroad.

48 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

The nice thing about the UofA is that (at least in undergrad--law school may very well be different) they let you do any study abroad program you want to do and not just a few that are connected to the university. The university really emphasizes study abroad.

Given Derick's impulsivity and immature wanderlust, I think this is NOT a nice thing in this particular context. Either he'll leave Jill and the kids high and dry so he can fuck off to Russia/England/Ukraine for two months (though with any luck he'll emulate Trump and accumulate a nice big dossier of Kompromat while he's over in Glorious Mother Russia), or he'll figure out a way to drag them along and Jill's Instagram will be filled with pictures of her being culturally insensitive and the kids looking miserable because neither parent seems to understand the concept of age-appropriate activities. 

12 hours ago, bananabread said:

Not to interrupt the thread drift, but I'm a bit behind on my FJ reading and I have thoughts about Dwreck's latest endeavors.

If he is forreal going to law school, god help Jill. Law school is INCREDIBLY tough and time consuming. In fact, going to a mid-ranked regional school (like U of Ark) is a lot harder than going to a Top 13. At the top schools, virtually everyone gets the jobs they want (Big Law in places like NYC or DC), so grades don't matter as much. But if you're at a mid-ranked school, grades matter a LOT. Depending on the law school and the markets they feed into, you often have to be in the top 25%-50% to have decent job prospects. And everyone there knows it, so the students are all putting in crazy effort to do well. Plus, people actually fail out of mid-ranked schools, something that is unheard of in the T13 (the curves are set so far above the minimum GPA required that it's not really possible to fail).

Sure, Dwreck probably doesn't want to work for a law firm or for the government. He wants to be a politician or work for a "Christian" (read: hate-filled) organization. But he still needs to get through 3 years of constant hard work and working legal jobs each summer. He still needs to be socially tolerable enough to get a job offer somewhere. And he still needs to be respectable enough to be the representative of an organization or district. And with all the weird, hateful, obsessive, controversy-riddled shenanigans he's been up to recently, I have a hard time picturing any of that.

Let's be clear, Josh isn't a great dude; but before the scandals it was pretty evident that Josh was charismatic, well-spoken, handsome(ish), and decently intelligent, as far as fundies go. Josh was also great at acting like a hardworking family man, when he was really riding the curtails of his family's fame. Dwreck is socially awkward, unattractive, and already widely perceived as lazy and combative. And if Dwreck thinks he's going to effortlessly slip into the role of Duggar-affiliated political figure, I think he's dead wrong

Derick in someways is more unlikeable than Josh and is a bigger risk to the Duggar brand at the monent. Josh is keeping a mostly low profile after the scandals, where as Derick is never off social media starting drama. 

On 8/10/2018 at 12:12 PM, freshlemonade said:

Could Derek be gearing up to try to be the Duggar's official family lawyer?  Kind of doubt it though.  Human rights lawyer?  Hah, yeah right.  His tweets will get even more annoying when he starts using his year one legalese. 

There's a thought. Maybe he's hoping to become the Dugger consigliare. HAHAHAHAHA!

1 hour ago, zenbaby said:

There's a thought. Maybe he's hoping to become the Dugger consigliare. HAHAHAHAHA!

I knew it was you, Jedidiah. You broke my heart. 

2 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Derick in someways is more unlikeable than Josh and is a bigger risk to the Duggar brand at the monent. Josh is keeping a mostly low profile after the scandals, where as Derick is never off social media starting drama. 

I agree with this.  Derick has managed to top his brother in law in the unlikeability factor in some aspects.   I agree that Josh came off as more personable and presented at least the facade of hardworking, family man while Derick tweets like some kidult who seems to have no shortage of time spent tantruming online.

I haven't kept up much with the Dwreck threads either but count me also surprised about this law school thing.  Personally I don't think he's going to make it, due to his wanderlust and inability to stick to any endeavor long term.  And for Jill, she no doubt still has her separation anxiety which has somewhat been mitigated because her husband is around more.  What's going to happen when he's off at school?  It's going to be like he's working at Walmart again.

24 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Derick has managed to top his brother in law in the unlikeability factor in some aspects.   I agree that Josh came off as more personable and presented at least the facade of hardworking, family man while Derick tweets like some kidult who seems to have no shortage of time spent tantruming online.

Derick is a racist, homophobic, insensitive, cruel, immature, classless, boorish, selfish person.

Josh is a sexual predator and child molester.

While I'd never choose to be around, or let my young children be around, either of them, at least I can pretty much guarantee my child would be PHYSICALLY SAFE with Derick. 

57 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Derick is a racist, homophobic, insensitive, cruel, immature, classless, boorish, selfish person.

Josh is a sexual predator and child molester.

While I'd never choose to be around, or let my young children be around, either of them, at least I can pretty much guarantee my child would be PHYSICALLY SAFE with Derick.

One thing is that both Josh and Derick, through their negative publicity, have torn down the Duggar brand of being that nice, wholesome Christian family.   And it couldn't happen to more deserving people, namely J'chelle and JB.   I have never bought that wholesome, nice facade and it has turned out this family is FUBAR.

Do feel bad for the kids still stuck in that situation though. 

Derrick apparently has a ministers license now, according to Jills latest blog. Thats what he got out of the cross church program. 

I'll just leave this here and mosey along have fun with the newest Dullard accomplishment LMAO

As you all know, Derick has been in the Cross Church School of Ministry residency program for the past year and just graduated this past week! While working in the missions department at our church, he was able to take seminary classes, travel on several short-term missions trips (domestic and international) and gain lots of great experience in international student ministry and local missions. In addition to graduating from the School of Ministry, Derick also received a minister’s license! We are so proud of him and his accomplishments this past year! Thank you also to everyone for your prayers and support! Below are a few pictures from graduation day.

14 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I'll just leave this here and mosey along have fun with the newest Dullard accomplishment LMAO

Same, Israel. Same. 

18 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

Derrick apparently has a ministers license now, according to Jills latest blog. Thats what he got out of the cross church program. 

Is it like her midwifery license?

10 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Same, Israel. Same. 

I noticed the look on Izzy's face after I posted and couldn't help but chuckle kid it totally over it

26 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Is it like her midwifery license?

Well, they're both learning shit that's harmful to children, so yup. 

What is a minister’s license? Presumably he can perform marriages now (unless they’re on TLC). He’s not ordained, is he? Is it something that churches would require before they hired him? Does he want a church to hire him?

22 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

What is a minister’s license? Presumably he can perform marriages now (unless they’re on TLC). He’s not ordained, is he? Is it something that churches would require before they hired him? Does he want a church to hire him?

okay so from what I can find here is the difference between ordained and licences. 

https://work.chron.com/difference-between-licensed-minister-ordained-minister-10210.html

but really if he wants to do wedding he just has to go online and boom he along with anyone else can legally do weddings. 

https://www.oministry.com/ordained-marriage-laws/arkansas/

4 minutes ago, saywhat7 said:

All I can think of is Joey from "Friends." 

yep that's where my mind went also. that along with every other random tv wedding ever. 

Didn't Kris Jenner/ kardashian or what ever she calls herself these days, once obtain a licence to officiate a wedding for two friends? It took place in her house a few series ago. I gave up watching ages  ago. 

Accountant, Missionary, Minister, now Lawyer. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with trying to figure out what you want to do with yourself in your twenties and going to school for more than one thing. There isn't even anything wrong with doing that with a family. Both my parents got advanced degrees while working and raising my sister and I. What I do think is wrong is how Derick decided to get himself a little fundie wife and a mini quiver that he is solely responsible for and then go on this soul searching journey. Jill isn't an equal partner. If he wanted one, he wouldn't have dove head first into Gothardite Fundamentalism. He wanted a helpmeet and got one and is now dragging her and his children along on his career tourism.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived