IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

11 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

Seems it is a 50/50 split on "soapy tasting" or not around here.  Opinions only.

Interesting you claim it is genetically based.  Can you post your DNA evidence to this?

Would rather not as it goes into a lot of private stuff.   Do 23 & me it's fantastic.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 hours ago, cascarones said:

I'll expand on this as to why it sometimes tastes "soapy", but not always. The gene variation means variant people can smell both enantiomers (left hand and right hand is the easy example), rather than one (right hand). 

If all of the cilantro in a dish is from one plant that is right hand only, it tastes like cilantro. If any of the cilantro on a dish is left friendly, it tastes like soap.

There's no visible way to tell the difference and even asking for cilantro to be left off as a garnish is rarely remembered, so I'm cilantro gambling woman.

Can people just stop growing the soapy tasting one and make all our lives easier?

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

-Less likely to hate chewing sounds - DEFINITELY NOT ACCURATE

I didn’t know that was genetic!!! Cool!!! Also fuck chewing sounds. And drinking/slurping sounds. Some of my family members are very loud chewers/drinkers and it drives me up the wall. JUST CHEW/DRINK LIKE A HUMAN

Count me in on the cilantro = soap team. God, it's like a mouthful of dishwashing liquid. BLECH! Don't do olives or olive oil either...NASTY! I don't want to hear you eat either. The noise can make me physically ill, like choking and gagging. 

But, I have issues. 

Thie was an article in the New Yorker a few months ago about some people's home were getting infested with stinkbugs.  It gave me the willies especially as one of the homes they mentioned was the home of Pam Stone, the comedienne/actress who played Judy Watkins on Coach and lives just up SC 14 near Landrum.

So Derick is going to be a half assed Stephen Hammer? Well then...that's interesting. 

14 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

And then there's my favorite, WWJCD! :my_biggrin:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20161229-061720.thumb.jpg.859a7f8f723b157d5382c19fd7845bda.jpg

WWRD. What would Rufus Do?

Everytime I eat anything with even a trace of coriander in it I feel ill, it just doesn't agree with me. I hate the smell of it too, I work in Taco Bell and sometimes I need to clean the Pico de Gallo dishes and between the coriander and tomatoes, another food I hate, it makes me want to throw up. 

3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Yeah, that came back to me as I was posting, and it’s probably more common than it was back in my day. It’s totally unnecessary, unless maybe you’re planning to specialize in international law, but that wouldn’t stop Derick.

I know someone who just got her JD, and I think she spent either a semester or a summer working for a US law firm's office in Switzerland. I was very, very jealous. 

Sometimes I contemplate going back to school and getting a JD because I'm really interested in law and I'm a super-nerd, but then I realize how much I like making money and that in my field, a JD can be an asset but definitely isn't necessary; taking myself out of the game for three years and paying all that tuition money just wouldn't be worth it. 

5 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

That’s not a thing in law school. I agree that he will enjoy it. You only have to work really hard if you want top grades, and I think he will be fine with skating by.

Yes, it is a thing in law school. I know because my law school had a study abroad program and so do many others as well. One friend did a summer at a law school in Scotland while another did a semester in Amsterdam. If I could have afforded it, I would have done it as well. 

1 hour ago, Thorns said:

Could Dwreck create a niche for himself combining the accountant education with the law studies? 

Accounting and law is popular combination for soul sucking jobs that make the big bucks, but I think Derick is more about laws denying women’s reproductive rights and keeping transgendered people out of the bathroom of their choice.

2 hours ago, Thorns said:

Could Dwreck create a niche for himself combining the accountant education with the law studies? 

LOL- You mean work for a living? Surely you jest. These folks are above actually working.

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I used to love cilantro, but this invasive species ruined it for me by smelling exactly like cilantro to me.

220px-Pentatomidae_-_Halyomorpha_halys-0

Yesssss! I think cilantro tastes the way stinkbugs smell.

5 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

LOL- You mean work for a living? Surely you jest. These folks are above actually working.

Yeah, working is for ungodly people!!! (Like Jesus, because he was a carpenter? I love how these people and the Rods call themselves Christian but think they’re above Jesus) 

5 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Yeah, working is for ungodly people!!! (Like Jesus, because he was a carpenter? I love how these people and the Rods call themselves Christian but think they’re above Jesus) 

It's puzzling to me because the fundies I know are genuinely hard working, even educated people. They are nurses, pharmacists, social workers, mechanics, etc. This whole lazy as all get out, barely literate fundie is new to me. 

So will he refuse to answer exam questions where you have to argue the law that supports so many of the things he opposes? Or is he looking at this as solely a platform?

14 hours ago, sndral said:

I do, however, have the variant of OR2M7 that enables me to smell asparagus pee :)

This is so interesting. I had always thought that some people produce asparagus pee and others don't. That's what I learned in middle school biology class. Now I feel really betrayed. What other lies did they teach us?! :pb_lol:

Fascinating that everyone produces asparagus pee, but only some of us can smell it!

4 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I used to love cilantro, but this invasive species ruined it for me by smelling exactly like cilantro to me.

220px-Pentatomidae_-_Halyomorpha_halys-0

My husband and I love cilantro, but my 2 youngest daughters think it tastes like stink bug smell. I can sometimes taste the stink bug smell in some cilantro, but it’s not enough to bother me. 

I thankfully have no idea what stinksbugs smell like, and judging by this thread, I would strongly prefer to keep it that way. I love me a good guac and pico way too much!

10 minutes ago, Jkaeekjj said:

My husband and I love cilantro, but my 2 youngest daughters think it tastes like stink bug smell. I can sometimes taste the stink bug smell in some cilantro, but it’s not enough to bother me. 

What's weird for me is I love Cilantro, yet I get the soap taste from Parsley, which is in the same family as Cilantro.

Stink bugs are awful. We didn't have them in Arkansas but we moved to an area where they are everywhere. And because they let off such a strong smell when they're annoyed they're much worse to me than other insect infestations. I hate it when I know one is around because of the smell but can't find it anywhere.

And lest you think you're safe from them, they're spreading across North America and could be in your area soon. They were introduced to the US only about 20 years ago but in that time have spread widely and become serious pests.

BMSB-US-CAN-map_small05062013.png

3 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

We didn't have them in Arkansas 

I always find these sorts of maps intriguing and interesting, because we absolutely DID have stink bugs in Arkansas! But my part of the state was very near other states that had them. I mean:  Can't you just see the stink bugs stopping at the signs that say "Welcome to Arkansas" and turning around?

8 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I always find these sorts of maps intriguing and interesting, because we absolutely DID have stink bugs in Arkansas! But my part of the state was very near other states that had them. I mean:  Can't you just see the stink bugs stopping at the signs that say "Welcome to Arkansas" and turning around?

That map is from 2013 and stink bugs hadn't yet been found in Arkansas, but that has changed.

There are also other insects often called "stink bugs," but that map is specifically about the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, which was only introduced to the US in 1998 (it's native to East Asia) and has since become a major pest in some areas.

That's the problem with invasive species; they often don't have any natural predators in the new areas and thus can take over very quickly. Another example that anyone from the south will be very familiar with is Kudzu.

450px-Kudzu_on_trees_in_Atlanta,_Georgia

47 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Haha I always think that about the "deer crossing" signs!!!!! Can deer read?! 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived