IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

2 minutes ago, fundiefollower said:

Mainstream news media is shaming Jill too.... or maybe it's just fake news?

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2018/08/08/jill-duggar-dillard-slammed-for-horrifying-salad-dressing-recipe.html

Likewise, her cinnamon toast recipe featuring half a cup of sugar for four slices of bread 

Shut the front door. What? :pb_eek:

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I freaking HATED the food inquisition at work! Just leave me alone and let me eat or not eat what I want. I'm an adult woman, I can manage that for myself, thanks! Please do not stare at me and make comments about the amount I'm eating. Please don't assume I'm trying to lose weight and then verbally chastise me for that. Please don't tell me I 'need' to eat more, or I 'can afford to' eat whatever. Thanks for your evaluation of my body, but you don't know why I eat the way I do, or what I'm eating at home (or even at work when you're not watching me), so please mind your own business.

And then the food pushers. My God, the food pushers. Almost every day there was a different dessert or treat brought in, and if you chose not to partake - especially if it was CAKE - God help you! I once had to say 'no thank you' to a woman pushing cake on me multiple times, and she still came back and slid a piece onto my desk. I have a food allergy and I can't eat anything like that from a bakery, but thanks for shoving it in my face anyway even after I said no multiple times, Debbie. 

I once went out for lunch with my bosses and coworker, and I just had a drink because I was still recovering from a stomach bug (which I told them, even before we left). All through lunch I was teased about not eating. JUST. STOP. I know people think they're being friendly and encouraging, but they're not.

I have a food allergy and now I have an even more limited diet for other health reasons, and I dread, absolutely dread, having to eat with other people. It's like people lose their minds when it comes to food. People will judge, mock, or harass you for what you're eating or not eating. If you don't eat, many will ramp up the pressure to an insane degree because for some reason they just CAN'T STAND that you're (gasp) not eating! This has never happened to me personally, but I've heard many stories of people not respecting or believing in other people's food allergies or dietary restrictions, and making people sick (sometimes dangerously sick) by serving them what they can't eat. What. The. Hell.

There's a reason I prefer not to dine out or at other people's homes now.

Rant over.

YES YES YES!!! My boss is one of those food pushers. When we order lunch, he always pays (which is very nice and we all appreciate it) but EVERY time he comes around for my order, he always says “Is that all? You sure that’s enough?” My go-to order is a grilled chicken salad that is so huge and packed w/veggies that I always end up taking half of it home and eating it for dinner. I’m not a small person-you can tell by looking at me that I get PLENTY to eat. I just try to keep my curvy figure in check and have family histories that make me conscious of what I’m eating (diabetes on Mom’s side, heart disease on Dad’s.) The kicker is that my boss has been told by his doctor that he has to lose weight (he’s about 5’8 and recently told me he’s up to 300lbs)-he’s asked me for cooking/healthier eating advice. But he gets 4 orders of chicken tenders for lunch-he’s on one of those points systems and thinks chicken tenders are “free” because it’s protein (he doesn’t think the breading/deep frying adds points.) I am by no means a healthy eating expert and I certainly eat junk sometimes. But FFS, stop asking me for advice if you’re just going to ignore it, make rude comments about my food and complain that your “diet” isn’t working and you’re not losing weight!

Ugh. In the pre-school age cohort we have a saying: don't yuck someone's else's yum. 

I don't get lunch break at work (not where I can clock out) so it's "Eat whatever when you have a minute." I try to eat fairly healthy, but some days I *might* manage to eat a bite or two before I'm called away.  But one thing that irks me is when people look at my food and say, "You're a nurse, you should know that's not the best choice for a meal."

Yes, people need to keep their mouths shut about other people's food.  If they like it and aren't forcing it into your mouth, it doesn't require any commentary.  One of my favorite comfort foods is a depression era meal my Grandma used to make.  Yes, it looks unpleasant, but it feeds the body and spirit.  

That's the same grandma who said, "If people could only say helpful, caring things, this world would be much quieter."

A friend of mine has to eat gluten free due to some serious health issues. Her main food commenter in her office seems to think that gluten free equals vegan. If she has tuna on her salad, the commenter will say “oh, I didn’t know tuna was vegan!” She recently took a leftover steak for lunch and this woman said “now I know that’s not vegan!” My friend decided to mess with her and told her it was a special vegan steak that she got at the butcher down the street (told her it was still steak from a cow, but they do something to it that makes it vegan.) Next day, this lady comes to work and said she went to said butcher, asked for the “vegan steak” my friend purchased there and got laughed at by the guy at the counter. The lady was pissed, but she’s stopped with her comments to my friend since it happened.

2 hours ago, ElephantPatronus said:

have you discovered the ease of first cooking it in the crockpot? Wash it, stab it 5-6 times w/a sharp knife, put it in w/a cup of water on low all day. It’s so much easier to scoop out the seeds and strings after it’s cooked! I like to then scoop out the squash and roast it for a bit in the oven for extra flavor. Yum!

Thank you for the great suggestion.  I'm going to try that this week-end and make a low carb version of spaghetti.

Should have gone to Med School Jill (or a OB Gyn)

Induction of labor at 39 weeks in low-risk nulliparous women did not result in a significantly lower frequency of a composite adverse perinatal outcome, but it did result in a significantly lower frequency of cesarean delivery.

Managing Pregnancy beyond 39 weeks The New England Journal of Medicine

Btw: LOVE the new thread title!

The majority of Duggar recipes do not appeal to me, I love comfort food and do make things from packets. I have bought a few instant rice and noodle snacks for work, as it is quick and easy and my work has no microwave to reheat leftovers. I use canned and frozen veg too but I would never blog about my junk recipes. 

I am trying to improve my diet though so I am going to making healthier recipes.

if derick is really going to law school he should start next week. Ill be interested how law school changes him. I think he could do a good job if he tried but we all know how good his follow through is.

5 minutes ago, NotaFanNotaCritic said:

if derick is really going to law school he should start next week. Ill be interested how law school changes him. I think he could do a good job if he tried but we all know how good his follow through is.

Isn't it starting a week from Monday?  I wonder if it will be confirmed.  In many schools you can see a list of their students so we will see.

Oh, I see orientation starts Monday.  Sorry

I think my main differentiation with Jill is the line between private and public. Her food she makes is for private consumption- she's just feeding it to her family, not knocking down doors to force it in people's mouths (except maybe the banana bread). But her blog posts are for public consumption- meant to be shared with a wide audience. I don't give a shit what she does for private consumption, it's not to my taste, but I'm not eating it. But something she's intentionally sharing with the whole internet... I have higher expectations for "blog-worthy" foods/posts.

I personally hate it when people comment anything except "that looks/smells great!" on my food. My dad will CONSTANTLY comment on the amount of food I'm eating, whether it's "WOW you're gonna eat all that?!" or "That's all you're gonna eat?!" It's so rude and makes me so self conscious, and while I tell him off every time, that doesn't change anything. I also had a co-worker who would nosily poke her nose into my food and proceed to tell me how weird it is. Soba noodles aren't weird, they're just not basic, bland American fare. And they're yummy. So shut it.

2 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Derick is indeed a registered student: https://directory.uark.edu/people/ddillard

So we have confirmation!!  I'm so interested in how this will work out. . . 

Personally I think law school is a terrible idea for 99.9% of people, and likely that includes him.  But maybe I'll be wrong. 

I'm also sure he is taking on debt to do it.

There’s absolutely nothing about Derick that makes me think he can’t intellectually handle law school. It’s pretty much everything else about him that makes me think this is going to be a fiasco. 

One of the things I hate most about my current office is the lunch room/food comments. It doesn't seem to matter what I bring, there is always someone judging it (and me). And we are located in the middle of bloody nowhere restaurant wise, so it's bring food and eat at the lunch room/desk or go hungry. I have been opting for the later lately - I have a lot of food allergies/sensitivities and some food aversions from my stint with an eating disorder as a teenager, and I so do not need the comments. Even when I've told people some of this or to mind their own lunches, they just will not stop. I'm sure when someone notices I'm not eating that will also be a subject of discussion. Can't bloody win with these people.

I watched a program a few nights ago about people who graduated law with high marks and couldn’t find a job. Gone are the days they say when Law Firms were hiring right out of school. But I’m sure Ofjill will be working for some Focus on the Family bullshit organization fighting liberals and gays and stuff. POTUS won’t hire him, these fundies think Trump is like them, nope, he just knows y’all are pathetic enough to vote for him.

Screw you Derdick.

1 minute ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

I watched a program a few nights ago about people who graduated law with high marks and couldn’t find a job. Gone are the days they say when Law Firms were hiring right out of school. But I’m sure Ofjill will be working for some Focus on the Family bullshit organization fighting liberals and gays and stuff. POTUS won’t hire him, these fundies think Trump is like them, nope, he just knows y’all are pathetic enough to vote for him.

Screw you Derdick.

Law school is not the way to financial security for most people.  The unemployment rate for those with JDs is higher than without.  But I expect he wants to open his own firm anyway, so that should be interesting.

I just wonder what his end game is with law school (assuming he has one).  Missionary lawyering?

ETA: he probably is looking for a Focus on the Family-type job.  I just can’t see him having the business smarts to open his own firm.

30 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

There’s absolutely nothing about Derick that makes me think he can’t intellectually handle law school. It’s pretty much everything else about him that makes me think this is going to be a fiasco. 

I know a lot of halfwits who went to law school and passed.  

I don't think there's a realistic endgame other than the fact he'll be able to say YOU ARE WRONG BECAUSE I AM A LAWYER or HEY SHUT UP OR I'LL SUE YOU.  He is neither articulate nor charismatic (a good litigator's skills).  He's that asshat who is argumentative and won't back down so people who know nothing about law say, "Wow, you should be a lawyer because lawyers love to argue!"  

Judges hate inarticulate assholes as much as you or I do. 

6 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I just wonder what his end game is with law school (assuming he has one).  Missionary lawyering?

ETA: he probably is looking for a Focus on the Family-type job.  I just can’t see him having the business smarts to open his own firm.

I agree that may be his goal, I don't think he will get there.  Most lawyers don't have her business smarts to open their own firms, but most do it anyway because you have this huge debt and the sunk costs and all that.  

Wait can someone please explain to me why the salad dressing recipe is "horrifying"? (as Fox News calls it) It's a bit of a strange mix of flavors but certainly not the worst thing she's posted, and at least salad is healthy.

6 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Wait can someone please explain to me why the salad dressing recipe is "horrifying"? (as Fox News calls it) It's a bit of a strange mix of flavors but certainly not the worst thing she's posted, and at least salad is healthy.

I think the ‘horrifying’ comment was based on some of the IG comments.  It was very heavy on the oil, but I agree, not one of the worst recipes she’s posted.  In any case, Fox News just gave her a bunch of free clicks. 

4 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Should have gone to Med School Jill (or a OB Gyn)

Induction of labor at 39 weeks in low-risk nulliparous women did not result in a significantly lower frequency of a composite adverse perinatal outcome, but it did result in a significantly lower frequency of cesarean delivery.

Managing Pregnancy beyond 39 weeks The New England Journal of Medicine

Btw: LOVE the new thread title!

I saw this earlier today! I was going to post it in the JinJer thread since she was induced.

And oh man, he’s going to law school. This should be an amusing fiasco. To be a fly on the wall when he spouts off angry nonsense. I imagine it will be similar to Elle Woods first day of law school, except he won’t rise up to the occasion and kick ass. And lots more being combative.

7 hours ago, nst said:

the firemen in the lunch room when i was at the fire department would make fun of my fennel salad every single day. they didn't realize i had allergies....

I used to be a firefighter too!!!!  (and an EMT) 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived