IGNORED

Dillards 53: Making Assumptions and Indoctrinating the Children

Jellybean

Well Ellie's officially claiming that Jill and Sam accompanied Derick on the "6 day mission trip", so I think we can safely assume that yes, they went.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How awkward.  Married couple with nursing baby tag along with college students on six-day missioncation to Guadalajara.   

On 3/17/2018 at 10:37 PM, Sky with diamonds said:

That desperate for money? This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

I found the comments on that pic the most interesting. usually I don't read the comments but I did this time and a lot of them are slamming Jill for entering because she is a public figure and it isn't fair to the other children entering.  

So is she just okay with being the only spouse it looks like on a trip that is technically "work" ( I use that term SO loosely!). 

10 hours ago, Nargus said:

Dragonriders of Pern are among my FAVOURITE books ever. When I was in my early teens my mom gave me her copies of Dragonsong and Dragonsinger (I was never as interested in Dragon Drums as a teen but that’s probably because I identified better with a teen girl than a teen boy) 

The Tower and the Hive series I found interesting too 

I lost interest in the Dragonriders when Todd McCafferey took over writing them. 

19 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Can anyone recall a situation in which a married Duggar girl has spent a night apart from her husband? It doesn’t seem that strange to me that Jill would pass up a missioncation opportunity with Derick since the program doesn’t seem to object. She loves this stuff and it’s totally her speed. Why should Derick have all the fun? 

Does Jill love this stuff? Because I remember her being pretty damn miserable in Central America. I mean, shall we remember the shower rack incident? The fact that she is dragging her kid with her so that she can be attached to her husband's hip is a bit much for me. 

2 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I found the comments on that pic the most interesting. usually I don't read the comments but I did this time and a lot of them are slamming Jill for entering because she is a public figure and it isn't fair to the other children entering.  

It's not fair, IMO. 

22 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I lost interest in the Dragonriders when Todd McCafferey took over writing them. 

Same. I started reading the first of the co-written ones, couldn't figure out how it worked with the existing canon, didn't like the new writing style, and haven't read any of the new ones since. I'll stick to the Dragonsdawn and Weyrs of Pern eras, thanks.

I might have figured out where the new ones fit if I kept up with them, but ended up not caring enough to try.

1 minute ago, metheglyn said:

I'll stick to the Dragonsdawn and Weyrs of Pern eras, thanks.

Dragonsdawn to All the Weyrs of Pern is where I will stay too

19 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Does Jill love this stuff? Because I remember her being pretty damn miserable in Central America. I mean, shall we remember the shower rack incident? The fact that she is dragging her kid with her so that she can be attached to her husband's hip is a bit much for me. 

She certainly loved the missioncations when she was younger, when they were very scheduled, taken around to places, and everything was handled for them. I think she didn't like living there full time without all of the support she was used to on the short trips, but still misses making those trips so is probably pretty enthusiastic about this one.

the Jill group picture. I find it interesting that all the other woman seem to be wearing black pants and Jill is in a very vibrant skirt/dress. we all know Jill wears pants so why that choice. is my question. 

On the Dillard Family Blog, back in September, they wrote that “we will have the opportunity to serve on several mission teams.” Jill accompanying Derick has been the plan from the start and apparently approved by the people running the program. Maybe the other people in the program are excited to get the chance to be close to a Duggar. How do we know? Maybe the other participants will see how hard or easy it is to bring a baby on a mission trip so they can use that experience in their future endeavors. Jill went with this group to Washington D.C. in the fall and brought Sam. She moved to Central America when Izzy was still an infant. This week long trip isn’t that big of a deal. I don’t see why Jill going with Derick and bringing Sam with them has brought about so much indignation. Should Jinger stop traveling with Jeremy because I don’t think she spends much time home alone.

My bet is that they needed a certain number of adult chaperones to help run the trip. I am not thrilled with the idea of taking Sam but they would be natural choices to help chaperone a trip. 

As much as we may snark on SCA, to their church they are superstar missionaries. 

What's the point of going on a trip with your baby if you're just going to leave your other kid behind? Way to make Izzy feel left out. Perhaps he was too 'manipulative.'

These books are NO DIFFERENT from any other books written to persuade people that their way is best. Like, you know - the Bible, the Qur'an, Dianetics, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, The Communist Manifesto. Shall I go on?
Parents could (and do!) read these books to their children, insist their older children read them, and live their lives according to whatever it is those books say. The Tuttle Twins books are no different. Brainwashing does include mainstream religions, as well as fringe groups.
Lets not forget Left Behind and the Left Behind Young adult books. Read the former for the information. Told my then tweens they could read but to remember they fiction. Thankfully they preferred Harry Potter and those Vampire books.

Jill is there for publicity. Cross Church wants to advertise the program, and photos with Jill are going to be of MUCH higher interest on social media than those with just Derick. Worst case scenario: fun photos from the missioncation advertise the program to all of Jill’s followers. Best case: the photos are picked up by media sources and the program gets even wider exposure. 

I’d imagine this is part of how Derick afforded to stay on after two failed crowdfunding attempts.

I wonder how uncomfortable it must be for Jill to be on that trip. She is surrounded by college women who likely live normal lives, i.e. college, dating, living on their own and not under an umbrella of protection from their fathers. I wonder if she looks down on them for not living her version of a godly lifestyle. We know you can live a normal life and still be a good Christian but I wonder if Jill actually sees these women as good christians. I wonder if she is going on the trip because she thinks the other women will try and steal her godly man. 

51 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I wonder how uncomfortable it must be for Jill to be on that trip. She is surrounded by college women who likely live normal lives, i.e. college, dating, living on their own and not under an umbrella of protection from their fathers. I wonder if she looks down on them for not living her version of a godly lifestyle. We know you can live a normal life and still be a good Christian but I wonder if Jill actually sees these women as good christians. I wonder if she is going on the trip because she thinks the other women will try and steal her godly man. 

I think she is confused. They are the opposite of what she was brainwashed with yet are in the same program Derick's a part of and belong to the same church.  I think she is starting to realize that fundie-lite is OK, is trying to become fundie-lite to appease Derick, but is secretly more comfortable with JB & Michelle's brand of fundamentalism. She looks uncomfortable lately in all of her pictures. She looked happier in her long skirt days back when she courted Derick and even after she had Israel, than she does now with her jeans and pierced nose. Maybe she is just weary of the Derick drama.

I'm on the C3 Cross Church instagram page and I've noticed that Jill & Derick aren't in most of the group pictures.  It seems like they don't participate in a lot of things. https://www.instagram.com/c3crosschurch/

Cross Church has an "Executive Pastor of Finances & Operations" whose role is "Finance & Administration areas for all Cross Church campuses & locations. Anywhere I can help." It makes sense since Cross Church basically functions like a corporation $$$. That's actually a good job idea for Derick when he finishes Cross Church's Ministry program.

2 minutes ago, socalrules said:

is the college Derick works at a regular college with a cross church group on campus or is it like Crown college? because if it's like Crown then these girls probably aren't much different then jill herself. 

4 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

is the college Derick works at a regular college with a cross church group on campus or is it like Crown college? because if it's like Crown then these girls probably aren't much different then jill herself. 

I'm pretty sure they interact with University of Arkansas students. I think Cross Church's youth group is aimed at all Northwest Arkansas college students. Derick works with Cross Church's campus, not on a college campus.

10 to 1 Izzy wins the book contest because entitled fundies don't play fair and the author is a leg humper.

I went to university in southern Missouri and there were plenty of these types of ‘ministry’ trips on spring break, which I assume this was. And I went to a school where most of the girls there were there for their MRS degree, and did the trips in order to publicaly talk about how godly they were. So very modest. 

Anyways, we had plenty of upperclassmen who were married and had kids, and NONE of the wives ever came. They’d come to some of the meetings, but they weren’t apart of the actual group so they didn’t go on the trip. It’s a week, most guys could trust their wives to handle six days alone. The only exception were the chaperones- most of the time they were older siblings or graduate students, or maybe a coach from a team who’d gone on the trip while undergrad. They sometimes brought both parts of a couple to chaperone. They weren’t there as ‘students’ they were leaders. I’d bet this is similar to what The Dillard’s are. They’re not there to give out the cheap plastic toys to the poor brown kids, they’re there to unpack the plastic toys and make sure the kids don’t get too friendly with each other. 

Especialy since this is ran by the church and not the School directly. They’re clingers on to the idea of college students, but they’re given a bit of ‘leadership role’. 

5 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

10 to 1 Izzy wins the book contest because entitled fundies don't play fair and the author is a leg humper.

It's something he can put on his resume, working since age whatever-he-is.

WTH can be done on a six day missioncation? Hell, they'll spend the bookend days just travelling!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived