IGNORED

Dillards 53: Making Assumptions and Indoctrinating the Children

Jellybean

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

Maybe Jill's also there to help keep her loose cannon husband off Twitter?  I could see JB paying for that.

If I prayed, I'd be praying for him to stay off Twitter and to support his family. Wishful thinking. 

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Does Jill love this stuff? Because I remember her being pretty damn miserable in Central America. I mean, shall we remember the shower rack incident? The fact that she is dragging her kid with her so that she can be attached to her husband's hip is a bit much for me. 

A 6 day missioncation is a lot different than a 10/12 month extended missioncation. She's done several of short "mission" trips. Being away for 6 days is no big deal, its being gone from her family for weeks on end that she couldn't handle. Plus she's got all the other gringos with her. 

1 hour ago, FundaMental said:

What's the point of going on a trip with your baby if you're just going to leave your other kid behind? Way to make Izzy feel left out. Perhaps he was too 'manipulative.'

A fellow mom told me tonight that the reason my 15 month old was going through a bout of picky eating was because he was learning to control me. Made me want to ask what parenting books she favors. :my_confused:

4 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I lost interest in the Dragonriders when Todd McCafferey took over writing them. 

To be completely honest, I think my mom's collection ended before Todd started co-writing. I remember Dolphins of Pern being the 'newest' book in her collection.  I have all of them on my Kindle, but I'm re-reading and I'm only up to book 16, which is still Anne.

Just now, Nargus said:

To be completely honest, I think my mom's collection ended before Todd started co-writing. I remember Dolphins of Pern being the 'newest' book in her collection.  I have all of them on my Kindle, but I'm re-reading and I'm only up to book 16, which is still Anne.

I have most, if not all the older ones. I'm either going to re-read them or box them up and send them to my daughter...can't decide which yet. 

good lord! That class 5 clinging is unreal. I mean, it's like she's trying so hard to show she loves her husband. Trouble in paradise? Honestly, if you're trying that hard to show how much you love your man or your man loves you, all I can say is BULLSHIT!

26 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I have most, if not all the older ones. I'm either going to re-read them or box them up and send them to my daughter...can't decide which yet. 

Do both! Re-read them, then box them up and send them to your daughter.

Is she SITTING ON HIS LAP??? I honestly can’t make out who’s who but that seems the only obvious “couple” in the pic. 

4 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Is she SITTING ON HIS LAP??? I honestly can’t make out who’s who but that seems the only obvious “couple” in the pic. 

yep she's sitting in his lap. :pb_rollseyes:,  isn't this supposed to be his "Job" shouldn't be act professionally? 

derjill.thumb.JPG.984be0bd99749dd6e7763393153b33a6.JPGOK, I KNOW I know, I zoomed in LOL. She is totally sitting on his lap. She doesn't look like she's bonding at all with any of the other girls.  Also, LEGS!!!! :wtsf: Jill has to be feeling so hot and sweaty in those jeans. DerJill look SO awkwardly out of place that I just want to cringe.

IF Jill was hitting it off with the other girls, I would think some would try to be more inclusive by posing for the picture with one of them holding her baby and leaning in close with a smile.

I saw on the C3 Cross Church instagram that they have Women's Bible Studies and I noticed familiar faces from the ONE group photo DerJill is in.  I didn't see Jill in them.  In fact, I don't see DerJill in many of the group photos at all. I don't think they attend the social activities that much. It seems like they're only attending what is required, like the college youth group sessions, based on pictures...

They just look stupid, with Jill sitting on Derick's lap.  If they are chaperones, then they are setting a poor example.  Save the clingy PDA for when you are alone.  Grow up already!

How will all the cute, young coeds know that the handsome piece of bigotry is unavailable for courting if his wife isn't hanging all over him?

14 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

OK, I KNOW I know, I zoomed in LOL. She is totally sitting on his lap. She doesn't look like she's bonding at all with any of the other girls.  Also, LEGS!!!! :wtsf: Jill has to be feeling so hot and sweaty in those jeans. DerJill look SO awkwardly out of place that I just want to cringe.

IF Jill was hitting it off with the other girls, I would think some would try to be more inclusive by posing for the picture with one of them holding her baby and leaning in close with a smile.

I saw on the C3 Cross Church instagram that they have Women's Bible Studies and I noticed familiar faces from the ONE group photo DerJill is in.  I didn't see Jill in them.  In fact, I don't see DerJill in many of the group photos at all. I don't think they attend the social activities that much. It seems like they're only attending what is required, like the college youth group sessions, based on pictures...

I still don't know why they didn't choose a young marrieds ministry vs. C3.  They could have both participated in such a ministry, Jill would be around people she could actually relate to, and they wouldn't look awkward AF in pics like they do with a bunch of coeds.  DWreck sure seems to miss his college days a lot...

I bet there are more than a few students who roll their eyes, or find their public PDA gross.

1 minute ago, EmmieJ said:

I bet there are more than a few students who roll their eyes, or find their public PDA gross.

Omg.  They are the new Boob and ofBoob.  Next stop: mini golf. :output_eeMbjt:

I am not surprised by their PDA but I'm surprised they are showing so much of it around their fellow students. It comes off a bit "Ha ha look, we are happily married and in love" when many of those students are likely single.

I remember in the TLC featured episode, when Daphne Oz asked the Duggar siblings which couple has the most PDA, they ALL rolled their eyes and said "Jill and Derick" at the same time.

2 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I am not surprised by their PDA but I'm surprised they are showing so much of it around their fellow students. It comes off a bit "Ha ha look, we are happily married and in love" when many of those students are likely single.

I remember in the TLC featured episode, when Daphne Oz asked the Duggar siblings which couple has the most PDA, they ALL rolled their eyes an said "Jill and Derick" at the same time.

they have been so weird about it all since the moment the i do's were done.  that weird Dip he did well kissing her. i just went back and rewatched it and then I remembered something creepy that I had blocked out Jim Boob stood up there and was the one who told Derick he could kiss Jill.  she is the only daughter he did that with. Super creep factor. 

10 hours ago, SamuraiKatz said:
On 3/18/2018 at 7:57 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:
These books are NO DIFFERENT from any other books written to persuade people that their way is best. Like, you know - the Bible, the Qur'an, Dianetics, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, The Communist Manifesto. Shall I go on?
Parents could (and do!) read these books to their children, insist their older children read them, and live their lives according to whatever it is those books say. The Tuttle Twins books are no different. Brainwashing does include mainstream religions, as well as fringe groups.

Lets not forget Left Behind and the Left Behind Young adult books. Read the former for the information. Told my then tweens they could read but to remember they fiction. Thankfully they preferred Harry Potter and those Vampire books.

Those books messed up a generation of kids! (I thought this would be a short post, but now after having written it, I'll warn that there's quite a rant ahead!) I mean, the premise of the kids books is that there are these kids who think that they're Christians until the rapture comes and they find out they weren't real Christians and meanwhile they're stuck in a dystopia (and not the fun YA kind!) while the rest of their family is in Heaven. I've talked to so many people who developed a crippling fear of being "left behind." I was terrified every time I couldn't find my family or even when the sky looked kind of weird. There are so many pictures of Jesus coming back in clouds looking like this

Spoiler

7ecc2c960705fd0c7376362c10198e1a.jpg

so I got to the point that whenever I saw the light shining through clouds that way I would get scared. I was afraid of being left behind but also afraid of being raptured. It's a scary thought to believe you can be removed from the earth at any moment!

And then of course I felt terribly guilty for being afraid because I'm supposed to be secure in my salvation and be confident I'll be raptured, and I'm also supposed to be looking forward to being raptured rather than being apprehensive about my life on earth suddenly being over.

And that's just one aspect of rapture beliefs. I could write an essay on how harmful they are, from the fear that seems to be so common; to the sort of suicidal thinking they encourage or disguise (it's common for believing Christians to talk about looking forward to the rapture in ways that can sound identical to suicidal people wanting their life to be over); to the way they prevent true believers for planning for the future, like how several older people I know won't make plans for/after their death because they believe the rapture will happen first, or how my cousin talks about not needing to make plans for her daughters' education because the rapture will happen before they grow up, or how so many kids like me grow up believing they won't see adulthood (and it is quite an adjustment to start realizing that the future does exist); to the way it affects US politics like relations with Israel (which plays a pivotal role in the End Times), environmental policy (why worry about the environment when Jesus is coming soon to reset everything anyway?), other foreign policy (when the EU formed that was taken as proof that the End Times are here), and attitudes towards peace (the Antichrist will preach peace, which has made a segment of Evangelical Christians suspicious of anyone who advocates for peace).

This is one of the beliefs that I feel harmed me most growing up and so I've ranted about it quite a bit on here, including very recently in another Duggar thread.

I was thinking about it the other night though because I was driving home and saw a flash of light in the sky that I didn't immediately recognize. It has been almost 6 years since I stopped calling myself Christian and even longer since I stopped really believing in the rapture, but even after all that time, when I saw that unfamiliar light I got a twinge of that old fear that the end of the world was imminent. It's disconcerting to realize how much of a hold that fear had on me and how even now it isn't entirely gone.

12 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Of course she's sitting on his lap. No class.

I'm in the minority but I sit on my husbands lap all the time so I dont think it's a giant deal. Would I at his work? No. But all in all I don't find it that offensive.

ETA: His grandma thinks we are practically fucking on her couch when I sit on his lap at her house though so what do I know lol 

What exactly does a missionary group do in Guadalajara?  Specifically, where does the religious missionary part come in?  I know the Duggars believe Catholics are eeeeevile, but do those missionaries really go out on the streets and try to "convert" Catholics to Christianity?  To me, that is like trying to convert a robin into being a bird.  How does that work?  It must, on some level, or else why would these groups keep returning?  A number of my casual friends have kids who go on these trips, but I am not comfortable talking to them about it.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived