IGNORED

Dillards 53: Making Assumptions and Indoctrinating the Children

Jellybean

5 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

its possible to survive and ectopic pregnancy?  I was told it was completely impossible and there was no way the baby could live either.  I'm super curious about how that could happen...

Ectopic pregnancies can actually resolve themselves if the embryo stops developing early on in the Fallopian tube. But your beta hcg can’t ever get really high (like over a few hundred tops) and has to start falling on its own.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much second hand embarrassment I get from that group pic, I have to remember Jill's idols.....her parents.  Who behave exactly in this manner to this very day.  Jill is stoked to be Dwecks special buddy.  Other than college girl thigh worries, she's lovin' it.  What an odd program for Dwreck to glomb onto.  He needs to be doing something more serious. It's taking him backwards .  Maybe he was denied a more grown up program after blowing it with SOS.

3 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

As much second hand embarrassment I get from that group pic, I have to remember Jill's idols.....her parents.  Who behave exactly in this manner to this very day.  Jill is stoked to be Dwecks special buddy.  Other than college girl thigh worries, she's lovin' it.  What an odd program for Dwreck to glomb onto.  He needs to be doing something more serious. It's taking him backwards .  Maybe he was denied a more grown up program after blowing it with SOS.

well JIlly is JIm Bob's special princess so of course she has to act like him and Mechelle. lets just hope it doesn't get as far as golf course humping. :output_eeMbjt:and if it does at least we probably won't see it unless they decide to post it on social media. 

7 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

well JIlly is JIm Bob's special princess so of course she has to act like him and Mechelle. lets just hope it doesn't get as far as golf course humping. :output_eeMbjt:and if it does at least we probably won't see it unless they decide to post it on social media. 

Idk, the constant stealing of his bridesmaid wife for a dip is pretty close.  

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

Ectopic pregnancies can actually resolve themselves if the embryo stops developing early on in the Fallopian tube. But your beta hcg can’t ever get really high (like over a few hundred tops) and has to start falling on its own.

By “resolve themselves” do you mean miscarry? A fetus can’t move once it is implanted, can it? 

On 3/13/2018 at 2:07 PM, HereticHick said:

Jill,  Anti-Semitic Hate Groups Are Building A Fortress In Your Husband's Heart.  

Wake up.

No, they LOOOOOOVE Jews! They've been to Israel and the Holocaust Museum and Jill has a Star of David! /s, of course. 

As a Jew who's getting more and more worried about how safe displaying outward signs of my Judaism is or will be, Jill and Derick can eat my entire ass. My one source of comfort is the thought that people like Derick will fail and all they'll be is just another holiday for us. 

11 hours ago, cara said:

Look up the stories of Sheila Hodgers or Savita Halappanavar and see what happens in Ireland, today, where abortion remains illegal regardless of risk to the mother's life. 

There was even a case a couple of years ago where a brain dead woman was kept on life support to allow her to continue carrying her living fetus. Horror movie stuff. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheila_Hodgers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Savita_Halappanavar 

#Repealthe8th

8 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

By “resolve themselves” do you mean miscarry? A fetus can’t move once it is implanted, can it? 

To my understanding it will be absorbered by the body. 

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

No, they LOOOOOOVE Jews! They've been to Israel and the Holocaust Museum and Jill has a Star of David! /s, of course. 

As a Jew who's getting more and more worried about how safe displaying outward signs of my Judaism is or will be, Jill and Derick can eat my entire ass. My one source of comfort is the thought that people like Derick will fail and all they'll be is just another holiday for us. 

I never understood why Jill wore that Star of David necklace. It felt like she was appropriating it. 

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I never understood why Jill wore that Star of David necklace. It felt like she was appropriating it. 

Jinger wore one too.  This pic is from the Duggar booksigning in Atlanta many moons ago.

jingerstar.thumb.jpg.91fef54327e3976238b9f6dc5f72c6fd.jpg

Don't evangelicals tend to love Israel anything cause rapture? Also don't forget Dwreck wearing that IDF shirt when Izzy was born.

21 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Don't evangelicals tend to love Israel anything cause rapture? Also don't forget Dwreck wearing that IDF shirt when Izzy was born.

If I remember Left Behind (I didn't mind the first book and then it got boring), it has something to do with a conversion at the end of days and of the area being safe.... I think! 

7 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Plus Jesus was a Jew and they think they are honouring His roots.

But Jesus was a REAL Jew. The Jewish people of today are all FAKE Jews. Unless they're Jews for Jesus! :my_rolleyes:

(This nugget of wisdom and logic comes courtesy of Jeremy Vuolo.)

14 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm not Jewish, but this is honestly a turn in the American (and to some degree, European) consciousness that terrifies me.  I don't know where it's coming from, and I don't know why the history of World War II seems to have vanished.  I haven't seen this much in Canada, and I hope that's because this nouveau-anti-Semitism hasn't hit here (rather than it being hidden).  

I don't agree with it, but I understand why people blame immigrants for all manner of problems in lean times.  Anti-Semitism, though, just baffles me.  

11 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

I'm not Jewish, but this is honestly a turn in the American (and to some degree, European) consciousness that terrifies me.  I don't know where it's coming from, and I don't know why the history of World War II seems to have vanished.  I haven't seen this much in Canada, and I hope that's because this nouveau-anti-Semitism hasn't hit here (rather than it being hidden).  

I don't agree with it, but I understand why people blame immigrants for all manner of problems in lean times.  Anti-Semitism, though, just baffles me.  

1. Anti-Semitism has been around since Jews have been a thing, and it isn't going away any time soon. That's true of any kind of bigotry. 

2. Judaism is a weird liminal ethno-religion, so I think there's this weird double-ended dildo of prejudice against more "visible" Jews (who are very observant and intentionally set themselves apart, and often have distinctively ethnic features) and more assimilated Jews (because you're Other but you walk among us). 

3. I think a good portion of Anti-Semitic prejudice is rooted in the fact that many Jewish people, due to a whole multitude of factors, have been very successful despite (or because of) being a marginalized group. And at least in the case of a few forms of Anti-Semitism that I sadly see in some circles of left-wing politics, I think some of it comes from the fact that sometimes, Jewish people, despite being historically oppressed, can be oppressors as well (and this is a really sticky issue). Jewish racial/ethnic/cultural assimilation, done out of necessity to avoid prejudice, I think has ironically fueled a different sort of prejudice. 

TLDR: we're weird and have issues and people hate us no matter what we do. 

The one aspect of Anti-Semitism that frustrates me as a Jew is the inconsistency of the rhetoric. Am I a reptilian financial mastermind hell-bent on world domination, or am I an untermensch unworthy of life? Pick one. I'd rather be a tyrant lizard queen, though. 

15 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

1. Anti-Semitism has been around since Jews have been a thing, and it isn't going away any time soon. That's true of any kind of bigotry. 

2. Judaism is a weird liminal ethno-religion, so I think there's this weird double-ended dildo of prejudice against more "visible" Jews (who are very observant and intentionally set themselves apart, and often have distinctively ethnic features) and more assimilated Jews (because you're Other but you walk among us). 

3. I think a good portion of Anti-Semitic prejudice is rooted in the fact that many Jewish people, due to a whole multitude of factors, have been very successful despite (or because of) being a marginalized group. And at least in the case of a few forms of Anti-Semitism that I sadly see in some circles of left-wing politics, I think some of it comes from the fact that sometimes, Jewish people, despite being historically oppressed, can be oppressors as well (and this is a really sticky issue). Jewish racial/ethnic/cultural assimilation, done out of necessity to avoid prejudice, I think has ironically fueled a different sort of prejudice. 

TLDR: we're weird and have issues and people hate us no matter what we do. 

The one aspect of Anti-Semitism that frustrates me as a Jew is the inconsistency of the rhetoric. Am I a reptilian financial mastermind hell-bent on world domination, or am I an untermensch unworthy of life? Pick one. I'd rather be a tyrant lizard queen, though. 

I think for the liberal anti semitism the fact that most people see jews as white adds to it.  Jews must be the colonizers because they are whiter than the rest of the Middle East.  Its okay to have a thing against jews, also, because its really against Israel, so even though your blaming all jews (even if they don't support Israel, or have never been there) its really because of actions, not religion or ethnicity.  There is some fascinating double think going on, and there always has been because as you say, jews are both secretly in control of everything, and unworthy and useless.  They are also both born and a religion.  It does amaze me how everyone on all sides can hate us though, without seeing how that may be a problem for their internal logic.  

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

I don't know what's different about Canada.  I grew up in a small prairie town and my experiences with racism (and antisemitism) were kind of weird.  It's almost like parts of it were cultural but without understanding if that makes sense.  As a child I often heard jew used as a verb meaning to grind someone on price.  I was a teenage before I realized what it meant.  The sad thing is I don't know how many people didn't know vs didn't care.  It seems that the language we learn from our parents and grandparents carry on even if the intent doesn't.  My kids say bunnyhug even though they don't know why. 

When I learned about antisemitism through literature I didn't get it.  I mean, I still don't get it, but I was baffled by the widespread animosity throughout history.  Maybe it helps that in my own bubble nobody is particularly religious.  And the people who are more religious aren't into 2000 year old grudges.  

All of this blathering is to say I'm with you.  I don't get it, I don't get where it's coming from, and it's disheartening.  I am also relieved it doesn't seem to be showing up here yet.  Hopefully it doesn't.

1 hour ago, justoneoftwo said:

I think for the liberal anti semitism the fact that most people see jews as white adds to it.  Jews must be the colonizers because they are whiter than the rest of the Middle East.  Its okay to have a thing against jews, also, because its really against Israel, so even though your blaming all jews (even if they don't support Israel, or have never been there) its really because of actions, not religion or ethnicity.  There is some fascinating double think going on, and there always has been because as you say, jews are both secretly in control of everything, and unworthy and useless.  They are also both born and a religion.  It does amaze me how everyone on all sides can hate us though, without seeing how that may be a problem for their internal logic.  

The Anti-Semitism fueled by (often justified) anger at the actions of the Israeli government is particularly frustrating to me. It was Jewish teachings (and, ya know, basic human decency) that helped me see that what the Israeli government is doing to Palestinians is wrong. But I don't think every Israeli person is evil, and IMO it's especially silly to think that all Jews are evil because of the government's actions. To me, it's like thinking that all ethnically Chinese people, even Chinese people who have lived in the United States or Indonesia or Jamaica or wherever for hundreds of years and have precisely fuck-all to do with China, are evil because of what the Chinese government does to Tibetans and Uighurs. And I'd hazard to think that many of those diaspora members (maybe not a majority, but a fair amount) don't think it's good or right or acceptable to oppress Tibetans or Uighurs. And even if a lot of Chinese people in China aren't rising up against the situation, I don't think they're evil either. 

And on an unrelated but also kinda related point, I think we (white) Jews (because there are plenty of non-white Jews and their relative invisibility in the Jewish community is a whole other issue) do have to examine our privilege and understand that just because we suffer prejudice doesn't let us off the hook from examining and unlearning our prejudices. It's certainly been a process for me. I'm not nearly in a position to say that I'm the wokest bee in the bonnet or whatever. But I hope I'm a little better than I used to be. 

I guess another bit of comfort I have is that I don't really "look" Jewish and my grandpa changed his very obviously Jewish surname to a very Anglo-Saxon sounding surname to assimilate better, and my parents didn't give me a very Jewish-sounding first name, so I can disavow if safety becomes an issue. So whenever I feel scared, I just think, "hey, black people can't put on White Chicks masks like I'm kinda basically able to do".

20 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Yes I mean the pregnancy ends but without the woman needing life saving surgery or methotrexate.

14 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The Anti-Semitism fueled by (often justified) anger at the actions of the Israeli government is particularly frustrating to me. It was Jewish teachings (and, ya know, basic human decency) that helped me see that what the Israeli government is doing to Palestinians is wrong. <snip>

I'm glad you brought up the Israeli injustice toward the Palestinians, because it does fuel a certain amount of antisemitism on the left.  Although, like you say,  Israeli aggression or what the Israelis rationalize as self-defense doesn't speak for Jews as a whole. I also see it as ironic that my conviction that there cannot be peace in the absence of justice is rooted in Jewish teachings.

My brother's wife is Jewish (cultural, nonobservant), and we've had many conversations over the years about antisemitism.  Her view is that the historic claim of being chosen and set apart provokes resentment and triggers the wired-in human fear of otherness.   Sounds a little like victim blaming, as if to say: Due to the nature of their peculiar people foundation stories, Jews invite persecution. 

BTW, I just finished reading Elisha Waldman's memoir, This Narrow Space: A pediatric oncologist, his Jewish, Muslim and Christian patients, and a hospital in Jerusalem.  It's a great read on many levels.  At a minimum, it helped me better understand the complexity of Zionism.     

19 hours ago, geergirl said:

I don't know what's different about Canada.  I grew up in a small prairie town and my experiences with racism (and antisemitism) were kind of weird.  It's almost like parts of it were cultural but without understanding if that makes sense.  As a child I often heard jew used as a verb meaning to grind someone on price.  I was a teenage before I realized what it meant.  The sad thing is I don't know how many people didn't know vs didn't care.  It seems that the language we learn from our parents and grandparents carry on even if the intent doesn't.  My kids say bunnyhug even though they don't know why. 

I live in a smaller prairie city and I agree with a lot of this. I've also found that people are very firmly against racism if it involves someone who is black, or Asian, but the minute somebody is First Nations, it's free game. I find it so infuriating, but again - it's an attitude that has been passed down and too many people don't care enough to change their stances. 

38 minutes ago, viii said:

I've also found that people are very firmly against racism if it involves someone who is black, or Asian, but the minute somebody is First Nations, it's free game.

Sad and oh so true. I grew up in a part of Canada where the majority of us were not born in the country, and a large number of us (myself not included) were visibly members of other ethnic groups. It saddened me one day in late high school when a boy from mainland China started to talk about his disdain for the First Nations in the same way that my sixth-generation great uncle also did. "Well done, Canada," I thought to myself, "You've taught the youngest and newest members of the society well."

On 3/21/2018 at 2:17 PM, singsingsing said:

But Jesus was a REAL Jew. The Jewish people of today are all FAKE Jews. Unless they're Jews for Jesus! :my_rolleyes:

(This nugget of wisdom and logic comes courtesy of Jeremy Vuolo.)

I saw the comments but am not up enough on Jeremy to understand what he said. Just wondering if he thinks Jews who aren't also Christians are really fake Jews or just--and I have a lot of experience with these people--"incomplete" Jews. As opposed to Jews for Jesus (actually a mission of the Southern Baptist Convention) or other "Messianic Jews." A "complete/d Jew" (Kathy Lee Gifford being a case in point) is Jewish in origin and doesn't deny that origin, but has realized that all of the rabbis and scholars who interpret the scriptures that Jews effing wrote are too stupid to understand them, and only Christian pastors can point Jews to the reality of "yeshua" as the messiah and thus be completed.

I'm making perfect sense, right?

7 minutes ago, patsymae said:

I'm making perfect sense, right?

As much sense as one can make when summarizing fundie beliefs on religions that are not their own! 

I'm not too familiar with Jeremy's specific views about Judaism, but what you've wrote here is standard fundie fare, so I imagine that's an accurate summary of his beliefs. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived